Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cosmictraveler
  • 1 Post By seagypsy

Thread: Why do we dream?

  1. #1 Why do we dream? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Why and how do we dream?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    In my opinion, dreaming is a process which aids in sorting information that was acquired during daytime.
    What the processes are in the brain during the different phases of sleep
    and how they are regulated on a neurological and biochemical scale, is unknown to me.

    Hank Green discusses the science behind dreams in this video:
    The Science of Dreaming - YouTube


    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,676
    I would like to add on that. We don't always dream during a nights rest. Organizing things during dreams seems logical to me. But then why dream about things that doesn't seem like anything that could happen? I'd say dreaming is the unconscious mind, trying to make us experience the things that we fear, we would want to try out, or the things we missed out on. Like kissing that cute girl, or jumping out of a plane without chute. It gives us more enjoyment during the day, because of the things we did, that we first couldn't do.

    However, i doubt dreams are "regulated" in any way you would recognize a regulation. I think more in parts of your memory, playing with other parts of your mind. This makes it plausible that not only we have consciousness, but also several parts of our brain independently have a certain level of consciousness. While the whole (us) is asleep. It's parts can still play around.

    Just a theory of mine though. Based on the principle of multiple layers of a personality, and us not being 1, but many. This explains why some people can have more then 1 personality, this doesn't explain why it's not more common.
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Reminds me of an old tune I've always enjoyed...

    Allman Brothers: Dreams (lyrics) - YouTube
    shlunka likes this.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    Sleep studies are an on going area of research so anything I say can have been superseded by new research but, research has show some things: Everyone dreams, most dreams are not remembered. It is possible to deprive people of dreams while still allowing them to get "enough" sleep. The result is to induce odd psychological states involving visual waking hallucinations. This indicates that dream time is essential to maintaineing good mental health. The dreamstate can be identified by monitoring the subjects eye movement. The eyes move rapidly as the subject dreams, presumptivly because the subject is "watching" his dream. The process of dreaming involves several different processes which generally happen at the same time but can get out of synch. Roughly speaking these are "unconsciousness", "fantasization" and " parallysis". Being involved in a fantasy while awake but paralysed is totally teriffying. It is theorized that this is the state that accounts for the vast majority of "alien Abdution" and "ghost " reports.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    Sleep studies are an on going area of research so anything I say can have been superseded by new research but, research has show some things: Everyone dreams, most dreams are not remembered. It is possible to deprive people of dreams while still allowing them to get "enough" sleep. The result is to induce odd psychological states involving visual waking hallucinations. This indicates that dream time is essential to maintaineing good mental health. The dreamstate can be identified by monitoring the subjects eye movement. The eyes move rapidly as the subject dreams, presumptivly because the subject is "watching" his dream. The process of dreaming involves several different processes which generally happen at the same time but can get out of synch. Roughly speaking these are "unconsciousness", "fantasization" and " parallysis". Being involved in a fantasy while awake but paralysed is totally teriffying. It is theorized that this is the state that accounts for the vast majority of "alien Abdution" and "ghost " reports.
    I wake up while paralyzed quite frequently. I hate it because I can't even call for help. I can get out a slight moan but it's rarely loud enough to wake my husband. if he does notice he shakes me and wakes me up. but it really sucks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Irony is, I get sleep paralysis, too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    i think during dreams we move to a parallel world where we feel different from this world. it is secondary , just depends on our experiences , emotions etc in this primary world. we feel happiness to extreme, feel pain to extreme etc.
    just my theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,786
    Because the mundaneness of life isn't satisfactory, so we make our own reality as a crude substitute for a few hours.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Irony is, I get sleep paralysis, too.
    I have never experienced 'mistimed' sleep paralysis, and I am ok with that.

    On the other hand, I am curious about the mechanism that triggers sleep paralysis.
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; June 13th, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Addition of the word 'mistimed' required.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    everyone experiences it. if you didn't you'd be sleepwalking all over the place. But not everyone experiences it being mistimed so that they wake up while still paralyzed. The paralysation happens so that you don't act out your dreams.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Not a theory, your "unsuported nonsense" would be more accurate.
    thank you professor . please share your ideas if you got some.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Irony is, I get sleep paralysis, too.
    I have never experienced 'mistimed' sleep paralysis, and I am ok with that.

    On the other hand, I am curious about the mechanism that triggers sleep paralysis.
    what this has to do with dreaming?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious part II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Irony is, I get sleep paralysis, too.
    I have never experienced 'mistimed' sleep paralysis, and I am ok with that.

    On the other hand, I am curious about the mechanism that triggers sleep paralysis.
    what this has to do with dreaming?
    It's part of the sleep process that includes dreaming.
    Precious part II likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. A dream
    By geordief in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: August 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM
  2. Why do we dream?
    By Stormwolf in forum Biology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM
  3. Mathematical Dream
    By ginger in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
  4. A dream
    By Quantime in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM
  5. dream recorder
    By anand_kapadia in forum In the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •