Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cancer and how it possibly relates to genetic mixing

  1. #1 Cancer and how it possibly relates to genetic mixing 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    I have a "friend" who believes theres a chance that gene flow can cause cancer. He thinks that perhaps when different races mix, their offspring will have a higher rate of cancer simply because he believes that possibly the mixing of so many different genes can occasionally cause cell malfunctions, namely cancer. He posits that races with less mixing: EG. certain 3rd world tribes etc. will have less cancer rates than cultures that have been interracially breeding. He also believes in a nation like Japan, say it will be shown that before they stoppped their isolationism, will have a statistically significant lower rate of cancer.
    How can i prove him wrong? what kind of data can i show him that will stop the argument?
    I mean like accessing national database record for Japan and all countries. where would i find this info? How can i PROVE that he is wrong. Where would one go to find statistical national information like this??

    He believes that in species where the animals look the same, they will also have lower rates of cancer, not just humans, animals too. How i can get info on this?
    Id like to just write a post saying hes wrong, belittling him, and writing ad hominem attacks, but then i would not be worth being a part of this board and i dont want to do that.
    Thank you for reading, have a good day


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I wouldn't bother arguing with him before asking him for some citations showing the scientific basis for his (not very scientific) notions.

    First and foremost, there's no such scientific thing as race. We're all the same. As far as I know the one and only difference between one lot of people who have a particular racial appearance and the rest of us is in the supremely important distinctions in - wait for it - ear wax. East Asians have dry crumbly ear wax, the rest of the world has stickier stuff in their ears.

    He posits that races with less mixing: EG. certain 3rd world tribes etc
    Anything he says about cancer rates in any people, or any other creatures, anywhere has first to be set against length of life. Cancer is always rare in short-lived populations. They just don't live long enough for individuals to accumulate enough damage to their cells to show up as cancer.


    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    I wouldn't bother arguing with him before asking him for some citations showing the scientific basis for his (not very scientific) notions.

    First and foremost, there's no such scientific thing as race. We're all the same. As far as I know the one and only difference between one lot of people who have a particular racial appearance and the rest of us is in the supremely important distinctions in - wait for it - ear wax. East Asians have dry crumbly ear wax, the rest of the world has stickier stuff in their ears.

    He posits that races with less mixing: EG. certain 3rd world tribes etc
    Anything he says about cancer rates in any people, or any other creatures, anywhere has first to be set against length of life. Cancer is always rare in short-lived populations. They just don't live long enough for individuals to accumulate enough damage to their cells to show up as cancer.
    What i want to do is to PROVE that he is wrong, or at least try to form an argument based on testing by the empirical method. Live give him evidence and data, not just my opinion.
    Its not enough for me to give him my scorn and have him accept that as a valid form of argument. I would feel like a terrible scientist if i just dismissed his theories out of hand without providing a single shred of evidence to my opinion. I would want to TEST my argument that he is wrong, i want to know how to TEST my opinion.
    And if i came at him by saying that there are no races, only ear wax differences, im afraid that he would laugh at me, and i would hang head in shame for saying something that would appear, to the rest of the world at least, as being phenomally stupid. I think i would get nmade fun of for years, if i said " there are no races, only earwax differences." Forget black people, they are the same as whites, forget asian people, they are the same as whites. If i made this argument, i think i would hang it up, and never post on a forum, or speak to another human being again.
    What im looking for is a way to TEST his hypothesis, but i appreciate your effort, and you actually kind of answered a part of my original response in the last sentence, so thank you
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    What you want is help from a genius.
    Maybe this guy: I consider myself to be a true genius in the field of evolution.

    Then again, you could re-read Adelady's post and see what she actually said.
    That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    I just read some comments by this goober a few minutes ago in another thread. I can only imagine this one is going to go really well. As Puma Man would say, whilst standing in the middle of a hail of gunfire, "I sense danger!"
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    What you want is help from a genius.
    Maybe this guy: I consider myself to be a true genius in the field of evolution.

    Then again, you could re-read Adelady's post and see what she actually said.
    That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
    thanks for keeping me from wasting my time
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Well sir, ive been called a lot of things on the internet before but a goober, that takes the cake.I'll post after I finish crying in a corner
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    What you want is help from a genius.
    Maybe this guy: I consider myself to be a true genius in the field of evolution.

    Then again, you could re-read Adelady's post and see what she actually said.
    That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
    If you read the OP, i believe the original poster is trying to find a way to establish evidence. He seems to be looking for evidence and is asking for data on how to find it.
    He asks a bunch of questions, and he even says thats hes looking for data, he doenst claim anything. I think the OP just wants access to data, doesnt know how to get it, and came on this board in the hope that some might share their knowledge in the interest in science. Instead he got a response about race that is insulting to anyone, and completely off topic.
    I, for one, feel for the guy, why cant we just respond to the questions that were put forth or dont reply at all?
    I mean the nature of a forum is to respond to threads, not just add our own take on something off topic, i mean, really, whats wrong with us? We cant even answer simple questions without bringing up our own unsolicited opinions about race and ear wax?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo DaEinstein View Post
    If you read the OP, i believe the original poster is trying to find a way to establish evidence.
    Funnily enough I read the OP. It appears that you didn't.
    I have a "friend" who believes theres a chance that gene flow can cause cancer. He thinks that perhaps when different races mix, their offspring will have a higher rate of cancer simply because he believes that possibly the mixing of so many different genes can occasionally cause cell malfunctions, namely cancer. He posits that races with less mixing: EG. certain 3rd world tribes etc. will have less cancer rates than cultures that have been interracially breeding. He also believes in a nation like Japan, say it will be shown that before they stoppped their isolationism, will have a statistically significant lower rate of cancer.
    One more time: That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
    Get this "friend" to provide HIS evidence.
    If he can't then you can simply dismiss his unsupported claim.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    What you want is help from a genius.
    Maybe this guy: I consider myself to be a true genius in the field of evolution.

    Then again, you could re-read Adelady's post and see what she actually said.
    That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
    Ha! I found out you are a troll! I was wondering why on a science board, i was finding such ignorance and now i find that it was willful
    I looked up pseudoscience forum and found that you and a few of your fellow trollies hang out there seemingly jsut looking to to troll on.
    Well done i suppose, i was caught off guard though, because its a science forum and i was surprised to find them upon me so quickly.
    Anyways i dare you to write a post that i will reply to, good luck
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo DaEinstein View Post
    Ha! I found out you are a troll! I was wondering why on a science board, i was finding such ignorance and now i find that it was willful
    Oh my, your record isn't very good at all, is it?
    You're wrong again.

    Anyways i dare you to write a post that i will reply to, good luck
    How about this one.
    TWICE.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 9th, 2012, 01:31 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
  3. The Slowing Down of Time as Relates to Our Personal Energy
    By kaeppelk in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
  4. Cancer, gene therapy and cancer stem cells
    By gottspieler in forum Biology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
  5. How are solar panels/power relates to physics?
    By mimichan in forum Physics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •