Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: fat

  1. #1 fat 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    is fat actually generated somewhere within the body or does it just accumulate when too much is consumed? i know that the reason for fat in the body (or at least one reason) is because it stores more calories than other substances (9 cal./g, as opposed to 4 cal./g in carbohydrates and such), but is it actually created when there are calories needing to be stored (if that makes any sense at all)? I don't know a lot on this, so i apologize if i'm not being completely accurate here, but i'm curious, so i thought i'd ask. thanks in advance.


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    A carbohydrate is a sugar (one or more). When the body takes in the carbohydrates they first go to where they can be used as energy. Sugar is the most efficient way to use energy in the body. If you have so much sugar (carbohydrates) that you don't need it all it first goes to you sugar stores.

    The muscles have lots of sugar stores for when you sprint or do something really fast. This is because it takes a little while to build up you heart rate for aerobic resperation (use of oxygen in the muscles). The muscles have instant access to the sugar stores.

    While fat is the best storage of energy it is the hardest thing to convert to. When all of your sugar stores are full your body will then turn the sugar into fat.

    It is kinda complicated to explain how but, I will if you want me to.

    Feel free to ask for any clearification or details. I love this stuff but, I don't want to give you too much at once.


    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Senior Imaplanck.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB
    A carbohydrate is a sugar (one or more). When the body takes in the carbohydrates they first go to where they can be used as energy. Sugar is the most efficient way to use energy in the body. If you have so much sugar (carbohydrates) that you don't need it all it first goes to you sugar stores.

    The muscles have lots of sugar stores for when you sprint or do something really fast. This is because it takes a little while to build up you heart rate for aerobic resperation (use of oxygen in the muscles). The muscles have instant access to the sugar stores.

    While fat is the best storage of energy it is the hardest thing to convert to. When all of your sugar stores are full your body will then turn the sugar into fat.

    It is kinda complicated to explain how but, I will if you want me to.

    Feel free to ask for any clearification or details. I love this stuff but, I don't want to give you too much at once.
    How does god fit into all this Bob?
    "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,670
    why should it have to fit with god?

    if god created the universe.. took 7 days work on our planet, he's not finished yet. because there are more than 10^1000 planets.

    another reason he doesn't exist..
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior Imaplanck.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwolver
    why should it have to fit with god?

    ..
    I dont know I would have though an extent of knowledge of the human matabolism would negate the miracle of gods own image creation : Man . But this kind of dual thinking is of course ones perogative.
    "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 dupe----------- 
    Forum Senior Imaplanck.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    344
    dupe-----------
    "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB
    While fat is the best storage of energy it is the hardest thing to convert to. When all of your sugar stores are full your body will then turn the sugar into fat.
    When you say that your body will then turn the sugar into fat, do you mean any sugar that your body takes in after your sugar stores are full? (so that means sugar already in your sugar stores isn't converted to fat) If it'd make you happy, go ahead and tell me how this conversion is done. I'm taking AP bio in school next year so i figure it wouldn't hurt to know. And I'm just interested as well. Thanks for your first answer.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Well now I feel stupid. :?

    O.k. So yes only the sugars taken in after the sugar stores are filled go to fat. But, you must understand that these stores are used up very fast, depending on your level of activity and muscle tone, etc.

    The reason I feel stupid is that I didn't really know exactly how these sugars become fat. I tried to look it up but, I still can't find anything. Like I said though, it is not an easy process and is somewhat wasteful. One gram of fat produces more than twice as much ATP as one gram of sugar.

    Now I want to know the answer too. :? I will keep looking. Maybe I'll ask my doctor or something.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB
    O.k. So yes only the sugars taken in after the sugar stores are filled go to fat. But, you must understand that these stores are used up very fast, depending on your level of activity and muscle tone, etc.
    i'm sorry for makng you feel stupid! Thanks for clearing that (quoted) up though, I didn't realize that.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,670
    :? fat can't be created just like that. You'll need cholesterol to create fat. (made in your pancreas & other organs)

    if you have to much to eat (+ to much cholesterol) there will form fat inside your bloodstream. It might clog up your veigns. Normally the only place fat can form are specialised fat cells.
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwolver
    :? fat can't be created just like that. You'll need cholesterol to create fat. (made in your pancreas & other organs)

    if you have to much to eat (+ to much cholesterol) there will form fat inside your bloodstream. It might clog up your veigns. Normally the only place fat can form are specialised fat cells.
    Yes I knew this. Well, I didn't know exactly that is was colesterol but, I knew something else was needed. What I was looking for though, is the chemical reactions (or the biochemistry) of the change. Also, I wasn't 100% sure that this reaction happened in the fat cells. Is this the only place it happens?
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    70
    Yep, carbohydrates /sugars turn into fat. If you eat carbs for dinner and then go to bed, that means your energy stores will soon be full, and there will be excess sugar, which turns into fat.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,670
    unless your an active dreamer... or sleepwalker...
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1
    Just joined this forum because I see this thread is on something I've been puzzling over. Maybe you physiology types can clear this up!

    I've been reading a lot from people lately promoting alternate medicine that one of the reasons we are fat is because of the "toxins" in our diet. Their story goes like this:

    "If toxins build up faster than they can be eliminated, in an attempt to protect your organs, your body will actually make body fat for the specific purpose of storing toxins as far away from vital organs as possible". Russell J. Martino, Ph.D.

    Now can any one tell me if this is so? Will the body produce fat to protect the organs from "toxins"? As much as I've searched on Google, I haven't been able to find anything that bears out this assertion or how it works. Is there anything to this or is it just a lot of hooey? Thanks!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,670
    Seems to be merely a speculation.

    People who live in entoxicated aerea's don't get fatter than others. Here in the Netherlands, is together with japan, beijing, moscow, new-york the most polluted country/city of the planet. There aren't many fat people here (compared to the countryside in america)

    Being fat has to to with the combination of food and exercise. Maybe your genes and menthal state have some influence. But i don't think that it's because of the toxins. (Your liver will get rid of most of the toxins, and your kidneys will try and filter out toxins aswell..

    There are accumulating toxins, but they just take longer to expell.
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •