Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox

Thread: Why Women Talk More Than Men

  1. #1 Why Women Talk More Than Men 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    9
    It is a documented fact that women talk more than men. In fact, someone recently mentioned to me an article they'd just read that said the average woman speaks 10K words a day while the average man speaks about 5K words in the same period. This is not a criticism of women but a factor of evolution. Anyway, the other day I got to thinking about what in evolution would have caused this; and the answer hit me like a ton of bricks:

    It has to do with reproductive advantage. The reproduction process for a man is real simple. He only needs to know what goes where and why (and maybe pay for dinner and a movie). But the reproductive process for a woman is incredibly complex and fraunt with the danger of miscarriage and death . She has to deal with ovulation, menstruation, copulation, conception, pregnancy (hauling that bowling ball around for nine months), the birth process, breast feeding and so on. Not getting any one of these complex things right can result in disastrous consequences. And, in ancient times, there were no pediatricians or gynecologists to make sure it was done right. And, as far as I know, the womb doesn't come with an owners manual.

    So the women who talked to other women a lot and formed social networks got (and gave) valuable information about the reproductive process and, thus had a much greater chance of successfully reproducing. And their female offspring would inherit that same tendency. OTOH, women who didn't do this had a much lower successful reproduction rate.

    I don't know if this has been documented anywhere or even theorized but, based on several books I've recently read on evolution, it would seem to be a logical assumption.


    MickeyC
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,322
    While I tend to agree with the research based on exposure to Western, Arabic and SE Asian culture, I've got to ask was the research multicultural? It's easy to draw false conclusions due to cultural bias. For example more American's might assume women cry more than men because it's that way in American culture, but traveling among Arabs there wasn't' a stigma attached and men cried all the time.

    I've also read a few social anthropology articles that suggest man might be less verbal because men often did the hunting and relied more on non-verbal communication out of necessity to coordinate their movement, approach and attack of unsuspecting prey animals. Which of course makes one wonder if your own readings suggest men are better at non-verbal communication than women.


    Jamie Whitehouse likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    While I tend to agree with the research based on exposure to Western, Arabic and SE Asian culture, I've got to ask was the research multicultural? It's easy to draw false conclusions due to cultural bias. For example more American's might assume women cry more than men because it's that way in American culture, but traveling among Arabs there wasn't' a stigma attached and men cried all the time.

    I've also read a few social anthropology articles that suggest man might be less verbal because men often did the hunting and relied more on non-verbal communication out of necessity to coordinate their movement, approach and attack of unsuspecting prey animals. Which of course makes one wonder if your own readings suggest men are better at non-verbal communication than women.
    Very valid points. I assumed men did not talk as much because it did not give them a reproductive advantage like it did women. Thus whether men talked a lot or not, they still had relatively equal chances to reproduce.

    I also seem to recall reading somewhere that men tend to be better at reading maps then women and that was also related to hunting. When a group of men went hunting, the lead male would take a stick and draw in the dirt the various routes and positions he wanted each male to follow or take. Males who could convert the scratchings in the dirt to the actual terrain they were traveling in were more successful hunting and, thus, had a better chance of survival.
    MickeyC
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9
    As an alternative theory. Women talk endlessly because they had less of a biological need to think coherently and make sense. Man did the hunting, handled the war, and beat predators into submission. All he required from woman was a good BJ and she had less of a need to think clearly about things if she did a good job servicing a man and deferred to his protection.

    (Low content quality and in bad taste. Lynx)


    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
    It is a documented fact that women talk more than men. In fact, someone recently mentioned to me an article they'd just read that said the average woman speaks 10K words a day while the average man speaks about 5K words in the same period. This is not a criticism of women but a factor of evolution. Anyway, the other day I got to thinking about what in evolution would have caused this; and the answer hit me like a ton of bricks:

    It has to do with reproductive advantage. The reproduction process for a man is real simple. He only needs to know what goes where and why (and maybe pay for dinner and a movie). But the reproductive process for a woman is incredibly complex and fraunt with the danger of miscarriage and death . She has to deal with ovulation, menstruation, copulation, conception, pregnancy (hauling that bowling ball around for nine months), the birth process, breast feeding and so on. Not getting any one of these complex things right can result in disastrous consequences. And, in ancient times, there were no pediatricians or gynecologists to make sure it was done right. And, as far as I know, the womb doesn't come with an owners manual.

    So the women who talked to other women a lot and formed social networks got (and gave) valuable information about the reproductive process and, thus had a much greater chance of successfully reproducing. And their female offspring would inherit that same tendency. OTOH, women who didn't do this had a much lower successful reproduction rate.

    I don't know if this has been documented anywhere or even theorized but, based on several books I've recently read on evolution, it would seem to be a logical assumption.
    Last edited by Lynx_Fox; September 5th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,322
    One large but narrow study that found men talk just as much as women and says the idea might be a meme popularized by marriage counselors a couple decades ago.
    Gender Jabber: Do Women Talk More than Men?: Scientific American
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    One large but narrow study that found men talk just as much as women and says the idea might be a meme popularized by marriage counselors a couple decades ago.
    Gender Jabber: Do Women Talk More than Men?: Scientific American
    The study is flawed since the participants were college students. This group clearly excludes the source of most meaningless chatter, namely mothers-in-law.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    42
    Woman have like men an urge to do their best but the modern woman thats strives to be defeated in her business tasks makes the rest around her angry. This type of woman wants to do everything quickly because she hates defeat and wants to achieve but in the real world if the business next door had the same problem and eventually closed down and then the next and the next then eventually you would have a ghost town. Then all there is left is the woman that are fighting each other to keep what they have been rushing to complete in the form of their business or mission. where have all the men gone. I expect their are somem men in suits that are now having a problem too because the men that don;t care either way live each day at whatever pace they want. Then even if that doesnt happen they sit there and lap the life up learn, keep quiet and learn more. The problem there is why are people rushing around to complete so much so quickly?

    Woman are now learning that they don't need a male to be successful but for me I think not because that would take love away from the world and then woman would be accsused if the world collapsed and there was nothing, like a dinosaur that was extict, where ahbe all the men gone ... BOO HOO.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman chakazul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    While I tend to agree with the research based on exposure to Western, Arabic and SE Asian culture, I've got to ask was the research multicultural? It's easy to draw false conclusions due to cultural bias. For example more American's might assume women cry more than men because it's that way in American culture, but traveling among Arabs there wasn't' a stigma attached and men cried all the time.

    I've also read a few social anthropology articles that suggest man might be less verbal because men often did the hunting and relied more on non-verbal communication out of necessity to coordinate their movement, approach and attack of unsuspecting prey animals. Which of course makes one wonder if your own readings suggest men are better at non-verbal communication than women.
    Note that how some used-to-be-mainstream theory proposed that the evolution of human language itself was a product of hunting, out from the needs of communication and coordination among the hunting team (presumably all male).
    How can man the hunter became more talkative because of hunting, and less talkative because of hunting?
    Be entertained by information, and informed by entertainment.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1
    it’s my personal observation:
    When you’re ask to a women that women speak much than a man then the ratio will the 50-50. Someone will accept and other will deney.
    But i observed that women talk three times as much as men. it’s my personal observation and don't take it scientifically.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,322
    [QUOTE=chakazul;282852]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Note that how some used-to-be-mainstream theory proposed that the evolution of human language itself was a product of hunting, out from the needs of communication and coordination among the hunting team (presumably all male).
    How can man the hunter became more talkative because of hunting, and less talkative because of hunting?
    Same as now when hunting with somebody. You use verbal communication to plan and prepare, you shut up and use hand and other non-verbal communication during the actual hunt.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    We could also look at the selection pressures that drove human children to be born helpless. Probably the helpless stage forces the child to absorb information from their surroundings, and learn for a while before they start to act. Women have traditionally focused more on raising the children than men, both because of the higher probability of the husband/father's mortality (best for the child's primary attachment to be toward the parent that is more likely to live), and because of task specialization. The better she is at communicating, the more information gets imparted to the child, and the higher the probability that the child will go on to live a successful life.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    111
    Women have got no depth in thinking. They blurt out what comes to their mind first. It is also possible that women feel insecure if they don't talk or gossip.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by parag1973 View Post
    Women have got no depth in thinking. They blurt out what comes to their mind first. It is also possible that women feel insecure if they don't talk or gossip.
    Total garbage. There's a lot of evidence-free speculation on this thread, but I won't stand for sexism. Consider this a formal warning.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    I do not know who talks the most. However, studies have shown that the type of intelligence shown by male and female varies. The following is a gross generalisation, of course, and individuals may not conform. Generally, men have greater visuo-spatial intelligence and women have better verbal intelligence. That is : women are better communicators.

    The evolutionary reason given for this is that women have the primary role in educating toddlers and young children. Since the biggest part of this education is verbal, it makes sense for women to be very verbally proficient.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Should We Talk To ALIENS?
    By Alex-The Great in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
  2. Just talk
    By Terry Arceneaux in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
  3. Can we talk about thinking?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
  4. who can i talk to about.....
    By Brit in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 1st, 2006, 06:15 PM
  5. I talk with God
    By RoyLennigan in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 20th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •