Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Am I right ?

  1. #1 Am I right ? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    The male sperm fertilizes the female egg and human life begins.

    The egg attaches itself to the womb

    Am I right in saying that within that fertilized egg ( prob too small to see with the human eye )
    there is the entire blue print of a human being......... all the complexities of the organs and the brain...
    everything is contained within that tiny egg .

    Am I right in saying that the egg from then on just receives protein or blood sustanence from the female host to allow the baby to grow, that basically everything is contained within that egg

    It seems impossible but am I right in saying that?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  

    Related Discussions:

     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    420

    Dear Goldenstar,

    Essentially, yes, you are right. The zygote contains all of the genetic information required for the development of the organism. However, the environment will also impact on the ultimate phenotype.

    Best wishes,

    Tri.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    freinds, phenotype is the features{blue eyes-black hair} you can see in any organisms that is implied by its related gene(s).environment doesn`t affect phenotype. egg as simple element does not contain all the information but half of it ,exactley as sperm that contain another half of all genome.so everything is not contained in egg but both egg and sperm(46 chromosome=zygote) and that organism (from fertalization moment to birth) doesn`t recieve blood from its host it is generally nutrients consist of amino acid ,fat ,suger(small molecules,not large and complex one)
    COGITO , ERGO SUM
    I Think , Therefore I Am
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    environment doesn`t affect phenotype.
    Not true. Thalidomide taken during pregnancy caused limb malformation, tetracycline taken during early childhood can cause permanent tooth discoloration, fetal alcohol syndrome is a change in phenotype, etc. Development is a product of the interplay between genes and environment.

    I know the question was specifically about humans, but look up temperature-dependent sex determination to see merely one example of how environment can affect phenotype in other species as well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    environment doesn`t affect phenotype.
    Phenotype is defined as an organism's observable characteristics, as generated by the genome and modified by the environment. Genotype is the one that's (generally) not influenced by environment. Unless you count mutagenesis, which is actually really common.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    let me get straight Phenotype is never affected by environment because it is implied by its gene(s) not environment ,environment does not select your color`s eye,does not say that you should have blonde hair -your genome says.about the effect of environment on gene(s) noone considers the mutation even when we want to talk about diversity in gene(s) because the probability of occurance is too low to give the environment to change the genes and more significantly change in helpful way .so i am saying the only thing that affect the genes,diversity of them ,number of individuals with specific trait is natural selection.they are affected by being chosen by their environment.about the general physical deformities i should say they are part of environment but they do not affect neither genes nor phenotype(in this case )for instance alcohol is just destroying the cells that are going to developin fetus[it is like you cut your arms ,there is no mechanism to repair it ,the cells of that part growing as they changed],but if you say by exposing an animal to x-rays we cuased change in its genes so its eye color is naw violet it is more likely to say that environment effect changed phenotype.{consider the difinition of words}
    COGITO , ERGO SUM
    I Think , Therefore I Am
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4
    Yes youre right, womb has nothing to do on human development, it self assembly

    This might interesting Development of a chicken embryo - YouTube
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabi View Post
    Yes youre right, womb has nothing to do on human development, it self assembly

    This might interesting Development of a chicken embryo - YouTube
    who said womb has nothing to do with development ??we say those thing you think that affect phenotype is not nvironment and natural selection is the only thing can influence genotype and so phenotype in large scale
    COGITO , ERGO SUM
    I Think , Therefore I Am
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4
    Hi,
    Sorry Im just an amateur, a biologist wannabe, well I guess I dont have a lot of deep info about it. I think womb only protect the embryo from bacteria but the embryo is self assembly. CorrectMe If Im Wrong..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabi View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry Im just an amateur, a biologist wannabe, well I guess I dont have a lot of deep info about it. I think womb only protect the embryo from bacteria but the embryo is self assembly. CorrectMe If Im Wrong..
    there is no need to be sorry {that was question }i do not know what do you mean from self assembly but after fertalization, the dividing cell is called embryo has several stages to be fully developed..and womb consists of several parts with different functions {for developing and protecting the embryo}..generally womb is refered to that mother`s part of body that includes not just reproduction organs but mother`s organ herself
    COGITO , ERGO SUM
    I Think , Therefore I Am
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    let me get straight Phenotype is never affected by environment because it is implied by its gene(s) not environment ,environment does not select your color`s eye,does not say that you should have blonde hair -your genome says.
    The environment can see to it that you have no eyes due to a developmental problem during pregnancy, or through illness during life, or due to injury. That's what phenotype is. It's the alteration by the environment of the characteristics expressed by the genotype.

    From the very first paragraph of the Phenotype entry in Wikipedia:

    A phenotype is an organism's observable characteristics or traits: such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, behavior, and products of behavior (such as a bird's nest). Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and the interactions between the two.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    about the effect of environment on gene(s) noone considers the mutation even when we want to talk about diversity in gene(s) because the probability of occurance is too low to give the environment to change the genes and more significantly change in helpful way.
    Untrue, since we each are born with some 300 unique mutations. Some harmful, some not, most apparently neutral. Irrelevant since I was merely saying that mutation alters genotype, which I think we agree it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    so i am saying the only thing that affect the genes,diversity of them ,number of individuals with specific trait is natural selection. they are affected by being chosen by their environment.
    Natural selection alters the frequency of genes in a breeding population, it can't introduce variation. Variation is caused by various kinds of direct genetic- and chromosomal-level changes, most notably (in eukaryotes) homologous recombination during meiosis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    about the general physical deformities i should say they are part of environment but they do not affect neither genes nor phenotype(in this case )for instance alcohol is just destroying the cells that are going to developin fetus[it is like you cut your arms ,there is no mechanism to repair it ,the cells of that part growing as they changed],but if you say by exposing an animal to x-rays we cuased change in its genes so its eye color is naw violet it is more likely to say that environment effect changed phenotype.{consider the difinition of words}
    You've got the wrong definition of phenotype.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •