Notices
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Evolution dont "favor" peace? Racism Required?

  1. #1 Evolution dont "favor" peace? Racism Required? 
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    927
    We have about genes and DNA on school atm and one thing is bugging me.

    Take a trait like eye color. (Just taking eye color as an example, it could just as well have been 3 armed ppl VS 2 armed ppl, ppl with 11 fingers against 6 fingers etc)

    Brown is dominant
    Blue is recessive

    Meaning 75% of crossbreeding blue/brown will end up brown.

    This means that eventually all will have brown eyes.

    Basicly: Blue eyed people are forced to wipe out brown eyed people for the trait to survive!

    It seems that by having dominant genes, nature prevents "Apathy/peace" and encourages "Racism/war". If people were suddently born with 3 arms and that gene was dominant, 2 armed people are forced to wipe out the 3 armed people to prevent being "Overwritten". Am i wrong?


    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Evolution dont "favor" peace? Racism Required? 
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    We have about genes and DNA on school atm and one thing is bugging me.

    Take a trait like eye color. (Just taking eye color as an example, it could just as well have been 3 armed ppl VS 2 armed ppl, ppl with 11 fingers against 6 fingers etc)

    Brown is dominant
    Blue is recessive

    Meaning 75% of crossbreeding blue/brown will end up brown.

    This means that eventually all will have brown eyes.
    No it doesn't, it means that brown eyes will tend to be expressed by more of the offspring. The inheritance frequency is the same as for brown eyes. A good portion of the offspring will be carrying the blue eyes gene (plus a brown eyed gene) but not expressing it due to the dominance issue. So the gene is still spreading through the population and only expressing when it is inherited along with another blue eyed gene or a gene that is recessive relative to the blue eyed gene.

    Since the expression frequency is different, the two genes are exposed to differing stengths and types of natural selection (including things like sexual selection). What actually determines whether one gene prevails over another is whether an advantage (or disadvantage) is conferred by the gene when expressed and exposed to natural selection. If there's no difference, the genes tend towards an equilibrium state, with the genes existing in equal numbers, but being expressed unequally as determined by their relative dominances.

    Last I checked, eye colour gene frequencies are thought to be undergoing selection, meaning that some are in decline and others are experiencing an upsurge. But you'd have to look beyond mere expression frequencies to explain that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    Basicly: Blue eyed people are forced to wipe out brown eyed people for the trait to survive!
    Really, no. That's a totally unfounded logical leap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    It seems that by having dominant genes, nature prevents "Apathy/peace" and encourages "Racism/war".
    Nature encourages nothing, as nature is an abstract concept. Genes compete, that much is true. However the path to persistence (which is all that genes 'want' if we can say they want anything, which they don't) is not always via competitive behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    If people were suddently born with 3 arms and that gene was dominant, 2 armed people are forced to wipe out the 3 armed people to prevent being "Overwritten". Am i wrong?
    Yes, I'm afraid so. We're not forced to do anything of the sort, at least not on the basis of genetic dominance or recessiveness. These are simply expression characteristics displayed by genes when inherited in combinations, they don't run any deeper than that.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Evolution dont "favor" peace? Racism Required? 
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    We have about genes and DNA on school atm and one thing is bugging me.

    Take a trait like eye color. (Just taking eye color as an example, it could just as well have been 3 armed ppl VS 2 armed ppl, ppl with 11 fingers against 6 fingers etc)

    Brown is dominant
    Blue is recessive

    Meaning 75% of crossbreeding blue/brown will end up brown.

    This means that eventually all will have brown eyes.
    No it doesn't, it means that brown eyes will tend to be expressed by more of the offspring. The inheritance frequency is the same as for brown eyes. A good portion of the offspring will be carrying the blue eyes gene (plus a brown eyed gene) but not expressing it due to the dominance issue. So the gene is still spreading through the population and only expressing when it is inherited along with another blue eyed gene or a gene that is recessive relative to the blue eyed gene.

    Since the expression frequency is different, the two genes are exposed to differing stengths and types of natural selection (including things like sexual selection). What actually determines whether one gene prevails over another is whether an advantage (or disadvantage) is conferred by the gene when expressed and exposed to natural selection. If there's no difference, the genes tend towards an equilibrium state, with the genes existing in equal numbers, but being expressed unequally as determined by their relative dominances.

    Last I checked, eye colour gene frequencies are thought to be undergoing selection, meaning that some are in decline and others are experiencing an upsurge. But you'd have to look beyond mere expression frequencies to explain that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    Basicly: Blue eyed people are forced to wipe out brown eyed people for the trait to survive!
    Really, no. That's a totally unfounded logical leap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    It seems that by having dominant genes, nature prevents "Apathy/peace" and encourages "Racism/war".
    Nature encourages nothing, as nature is an abstract concept. Genes compete, that much is true. However the path to persistence (which is all that genes 'want' if we can say they want anything, which they don't) is not always via competitive behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    If people were suddently born with 3 arms and that gene was dominant, 2 armed people are forced to wipe out the 3 armed people to prevent being "Overwritten". Am i wrong?
    Yes, I'm afraid so. We're not forced to do anything of the sort, at least not on the basis of genetic dominance or recessiveness. These are simply expression characteristics displayed by genes when inherited in combinations, they don't run any deeper than that.
    Thanks for a quick answer.

    Im relieved that i am wrong
    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,840
    There is a theory that the blue eye trait is selected for sexually. In other words, all else being equal, a blue eyed gal is more attractive than her brown eyed sister. Assuming this is true, then the greater reproductive success of blue eyed people leads to that gene becoming more prevalent in the population.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Once the genome project is complete EXITING! then more avenues are open to the question of the soul at least from a general perspective
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman LordKelvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelSR1
    Once the genome project is complete EXITING! then more avenues are open to the question of the soul at least from a general perspective
    What genome project? Maybe hundreds of human genomes are being sequenced as we speak. What soul..?
    Just Because Something's Unexplained Doesn't Mean It's Supernatural - Houdini
    Quantitative PCR
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •