Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Does skin need to 'breathe'?

  1. #1 Does skin need to 'breathe'? 
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    In the james bond movie gold finger, a women (If i remember correctly after many years) is said to have died because she was painted in gold paint. Or maybe she was already dead and I'm mistaken. But in any case, can you die if your skin is covered for a day, I think not since we breathe with lungs but I m not 100% sure.


    As a side question: if your skin is covered with paint, oil or soap for an hour or two, will the bacteria and potential skin parasites(scabbies or something that sounds like that) die from axphixiation?

    For that matter, bacterias that make us sick, are they mostly anerobic or do they require oxygen, and if they do need oxygen where do they get the oxygen from?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Being covered in gold paint would cause one to suffer from heavy metal poisoning. More specifically, gold poisoning.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tyO0QpGgY It may help
    This.

    The main problem with coating yourself with paint or something like that, is that it would keep heat in and possibly cause to you die from heat stroke. But you wouldn't suffocate from it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you" - Friedrich Nietzsche

    Semper Paratus
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    Simple answer. The James Bond idea was bullsh!t. Gold is non toxic and an excellent thermal conductor. So poisoning and overheating would not happen.

    Being covered with gold (and being held immobile) are not heathy. We could not sweat, and our muscles would suffer from the rigidity. But it would not be fatal in any reasonable length of time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    Simple answer. The James Bond idea was bullsh!t. Gold is non toxic and an excellent thermal conductor. So poisoning and overheating would not happen.

    Being covered with gold (and being held immobile) are not heathy. We could not sweat, and our muscles would suffer from the rigidity. But it would not be fatal in any reasonable length of time.
    Ok so your skin doesnt need to breath, but if you are covered by a liquid thats impermeable to oxygen what happens to parasites (ticks, fleas, scabies, etc) how long can they last without oxygen from the general surroundings?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard SkinWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    2,377
    Interesting questions. I remember the Goldfinger movie quite well and there was a comment that the "skin needs to breath" and that's why certain spas leave a small area uncoated in mudbaths, etc. I remember thinking, even at a young age, that this was probably a silly notion.

    "I'm going to get you, sucka'" had it closer to the truth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2xjCH9cTI

    But as far as parasites, I've been coating chigger bites with clear nail polish for years, but I have no idea if it actually works or not. It seems reasonable that it cuts off the chiggars' ability to breath. But maybe they metabolize their O2 from my blood and I'm just wasting my time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinWalker
    But as far as parasites, I've been coating chigger bites with clear nail polish for years, but I have no idea if it actually works or not. It seems reasonable that it cuts off the chiggars' ability to breath. But maybe they metabolize their O2 from my blood and I'm just wasting my time.
    Sorry to say but you have been, as noted here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae#Larva the larvae don't actually burrow into the skin. the mites bite and inject saliva then suck out the partly digested cells. The itching doesn't set in for 24-48 hours after the bite occurs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Insects and arachnids breath through their skin, they have no lungs. Exception being certain water going insects that also use their digestive tract to extract oxygen from water.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard SkinWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinWalker
    But as far as parasites, I've been coating chigger bites with clear nail polish for years, but I have no idea if it actually works or not. It seems reasonable that it cuts off the chiggars' ability to breath. But maybe they metabolize their O2 from my blood and I'm just wasting my time.
    Sorry to say but you have been, as noted here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae#Larva the larvae don't actually burrow into the skin. the mites bite and inject saliva then suck out the partly digested cells. The itching doesn't set in for 24-48 hours after the bite occurs.
    hehe.. I've always suspected as much. But the addition of the semi-rigid coat of clear nail polish plays a (probably psychological) role in reducing the itch... so....
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •