Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Aspartame, is it bad for you?

  1. #1 Aspartame, is it bad for you? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Does this website have any truth to it?
    http://www.douglassreport.com/report...FQOIFQodxEaRiw

    Is aspartame seriously bad for you?


    To think outside the box
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Refined sugar is definitely very bad for you. Extremely well documented as well in the scientific literature.


    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

    Most studies are like this one and find no risk.

    There have been a few studies that have found that aspartame use correlated with cancer, though they weren't reproducible so it's not clear that their is risk.

    There could be a connection to migraines though, and some studies suggest it doesn't help you lose weight.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Does it al least help ward against diabites?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    If it does prevent weight increase, which it should, yes it should. Since excess adipose tissue (fat cells) is a major risk factor in diabetes.

    Edit: It also doesn't affect the blood glucose level so it is safe for diabetics to consume.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks gentlemen
    To think outside the box
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United States Of America
    Posts
    105
    Aspartame is dangerous. It causes cancer and many awful side effects which weaken your body and increase the risk of illness. Perhaps you are interested in using aspartame because of the high increase in blood glucose that table sugar causes? I use WheyLow, a combination of lactose and fructose, which only raise blood sugar mildly. It is suitable for diabetics, tastes and works exactly like regular sugar, and is safe because it comes from dairy products and fruit. If the calories in sucrose are your concern, those are easily burned off and don't lead to weight gain when accompanied by a healthy diet and exercise.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Aspartame is dangerous. It causes cancer and many awful side effects which weaken your body and increase the risk of illness. Perhaps you are interested in using aspartame because of the high increase in blood glucose that table sugar causes? I use WheyLow, a combination of lactose and fructose, which only raise blood sugar mildly. It is suitable for diabetics, tastes and works exactly like regular sugar, and is safe because it comes from dairy products and fruit. If the calories in sucrose are your concern, those are easily burned off and don't lead to weight gain when accompanied by a healthy diet and exercise.
    The studies that have showed aspartame causing cancer have not been repeatable, most studies show it has no affect. Moreover, the levels consumed by people are much lower than those that are used in the rat and mouse studies.

    However, it does cause abnormal distribution of some amino acids and neural transmitters, thus it's suspected link to migraines.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman MoonWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    66
    It has a disgusting taste and burns holes in your stomach. Leastways it feels like it.
    I never use it anymore. I use honey or cinnamon or a wee bit of cane sugar if the first two won't do - or do without.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Yes it is bad for you despite what others in this forum say. Aspartame actually contains several ingredients that are in ant poison and several other cancer causing ingredients. Also a brief history: Did you know that aspartame was originally marketed as a biological weapon? And no I'm not making this up. It didn't make the grade so, because of the sweet taste of it, the producers marketed it as a sweetener instead.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Yes it is bad for you despite what others in this forum say. Aspartame actually contains several ingredients that are in ant poison and several other cancer causing ingredients.
    Aspartame doesn't have ingredients. It's just a methyl ester of aspartic acid which is a component of every protein in your body. So it's just one ingredient. It is, in fact, purer than sugar. That's not to say it can't be harmful but whether it is a component of ant poison is completely irrelevant unless it's the active ingredient.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Yes it is bad for you despite what others in this forum say. Aspartame actually contains several ingredients that are in ant poison and several other cancer causing ingredients.
    Aspartame doesn't have ingredients. It's just a methyl ester of aspartic acid which is a component of every protein in your body. So it's just one ingredient. It is, in fact, purer than sugar. That's not to say it can't be harmful but whether it is a component of ant poison is completely irrelevant unless it's the active ingredient.
    Everywhere I read it says aspartame contains 3 ingredients. 2 of them being amino acids and the other being methanol. I'm no too well versed in chemistry myself but how is a combination of 2 amino acids and methanol only 1 ingredient?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Yes it is bad for you despite what others in this forum say. Aspartame actually contains several ingredients that are in ant poison and several other cancer causing ingredients.
    Aspartame doesn't have ingredients. It's just a methyl ester of aspartic acid which is a component of every protein in your body. So it's just one ingredient. It is, in fact, purer than sugar. That's not to say it can't be harmful but whether it is a component of ant poison is completely irrelevant unless it's the active ingredient.
    Everywhere I read it says aspartame contains 3 ingredients. 2 of them being amino acids and the other being methanol. I'm no too well versed in chemistry myself but how is a combination of 2 amino acids and methanol only 1 ingredient?
    Well, each molecule of aspartame is synthesised by making a methyl ester of aspartic acid bound to phenylalanine in a dipeptide. So under ideal circumstances, the only ingredient present in your box of aspartame is aspartame. However, if it breaks down, I guess you might well get the individual amino acids and methanol again. I have to imagine that'd need some unusual conditions though. Chances are, if they're listed as ingredients it's the manufacturer erring on the side of caution in case their product gets stored in extreme conditions.

    For most people, the methanol is about the only potentially dodgy element in that mixture, assuming it is actually present. You'd probably need to be eating a whole load of aspartame for that methanol to really be harmful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Most scientific studies show that aspartame is not dangerous in any way at the doses that humans are ever likely to consume. The internet is infested with aspartame-phobics who try to whip everyone into a frenzy about it, but the simple truth is that there is very little scientific evidence that it is dangerous. So far as I know, all of the studies that claimed to show any danger ended up not being repeatable.

    Aspartame breaks down into two common amino acids and methanol. The amino acids are harmless, and you get a LOT more of them any time you eat meat or any other high-protein food. Methanol is indeed bad for you, but the amount of methanol produced by aspartame is tiny and far, far below the does that is likely to be dangerous. You probably get as much methanol drinking fruit juice.

    Although I'll agree that it tastes terrible, which is reason enough not to use it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    I saw on TV earlier today, that apparently recent studies have shown that aspartame may act as a stimulant of sugar cravings. Thus, if you are trying to lose weight, it might be best to avoid diet drinks because they could make you crave sugary foods. This could be related to why studies seem to show that people who drink diet colas don't gain weight relative to those who drink normal colas.

    The verdict is also still out on whether aspartame's disruption of amino acid distribution and neuro-transmitters can cause migraines.

    Scientific consensus is pretty much that it doesn't cause cancer though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    I saw on TV earlier today, that apparently recent studies have shown that aspartame may act as a stimulant of sugar cravings. Thus, if you are trying to lose weight, it might be best to avoid diet drinks because they could make you crave sugary foods. This could be related to why studies seem to show that people who drink diet colas don't gain weight relative to those who drink normal colas.

    The verdict is also still out on whether aspartame's disruption of amino acid distribution and neuro-transmitters can cause migraines.

    Scientific consensus is pretty much that it doesn't cause cancer though.
    Interesting, though I'm always cautious of TV science. The media have a knack for missing the point or bigging-up studies that are topical but statistically irrelevant.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    286
    rumsfeld disease - Google Search

    i dont eat that crap



    we dont know all the effects of this non food chemical
    so why risk it?



    http://www.google.com/search?q=rumsf...ient=firefox-a
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes
    rumsfeld disease - Google Search

    i dont eat that crap



    we dont know all the effects of this non food chemical
    so why risk it?
    How much do you know about all the other stuff you eat?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    286
    alittle -why? whats your point?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    286
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes
    alittle -why? whats your point?
    Focusing on a couple of topical "bogeymen" such as aspartame without actually looking at the science is pretty much pointless.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista

    Interesting, though I'm always cautious of TV science. The media have a knack for missing the point or bigging-up studies that are topical but statistically irrelevant.
    Ya I agree, but I read pretty much the same in the reviews on pubmed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •