Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vaccination, is it really worth it?

  1. #1 Vaccination, is it really worth it? 
    Forum Sophomore timel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    Is vaccination really worth it and I have ear heard that they can be sources of
    more problems than solving?

    It is a huge source and amount of money for pharmacatical coorporation.

    It is itself quite a psychological thing. We get scared of what could happend if we don't get this or that vaccination.

    Anyone could enlighten me? Or am I just seeing everything black?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Vaccines have obliterated smallpox from the Earth, restricted polio to rural Africa, and restricted hepatitis B to the developing world.

    When was the last time you met a child deafened by viral meningitis, crippled by polio, or dying in bed from tetanus. No medical advancedment apart from antibiotics has had such a positive effect on humanity.

    The fact is that if we stopped vaccinating today, within 30-50 years all these diseases would come rushing back to the developed world. (apart from smallpox which is extinct now thanks to the WHO vaccination program)

    You might say to yourself, "well I know X and Y person who aren't vaccinated and they never got sick". This is because of the process of "herd immunity", the immunized population acts as a buffer that any infected individual would have to move through, and thus lowers the probability of unimmunized individuals of catching the virus. As we lower the amount of immunized individuals, the herd immunity effect will be lowered as well, every person who is unimmunized increases the risk to the rest of the population. This is the principle behind the strategy of immunizing every member of the population.

    The risk of vaccines is very very low. Depending on the vaccine there is always a slight risk of an allergic reaction, a very slight risk. The accusations of vaccines causing autism have been effectively disproved in England, where rates of vaccination dropped drastically, but rates of autism continued to rise.

    It would always be best to discuss the risk with your doctor, but he will likely say the same thing as me, which is vaccines are important and recommended.

    However, unnecessary vaccines like the chicken pox vaccine can probably be avoided.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    When was the last time you met a child deafened by viral meningitis, crippled by polio, or dying in bed from tetanus. No medical advancedment apart from antibiotics has had such a positive effect on humanity.
    Exactly. Most parents today don't really appreciate the fact that not too long ago there was a very real possibility that their child might just suddenly end up crippled or dead due to various diseases, and there was absolutely nothing you could do to prevent it.

    Consider, for example, how much most parents worry about their child being kidnapped. There are about 500 kidnappings/year in the US. Now consider the fact that there used to be over fifty thousand cases of polio/year in the U.S., and about half of them resulted in death or permanent disablement. And unlike kidnapping, there wasn't really anything you could do to keep your child safe from it. You can thank vaccines for the fact that this is no longer a worry.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Vaccination, is it really worth it? 
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by timel
    Is vaccination really worth it and I have ear heard that they can be sources of
    more problems than solving?
    You can't trust random internet sources for your information. Try the look at primary literature as much as you can.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    There is emerging evidence as well that herd immunity is actually starting to break down in some parts of the west due to the "vaccines cause autism" rubbish (or similar) that is still being propagated despite numerous studies debunking it. There is an unfortunate mistrust of science and medicine gathering pace. This may in fact represent one of the largest health risks we face this century if it can't be knocked on the head promptly.

    Given that diseases such as TB are on the rise again due to drug resistance, poor vaccine uptake is just about the last thing we need to throw into the mix.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    There is emerging evidence as well that herd immunity is actually starting to break down in some parts of the west due to the "vaccines cause autism" rubbish (or similar) that is still being propagated despite numerous studies debunking it.
    I suspect that this idiocy will go on until a few people's kids die of rubella or something, at which point most of these negligent parents will wake up and realize that they should get their kids vaccinated.
    There is an unfortunate mistrust of science and medicine gathering pace. This may in fact represent one of the largest health risks we face this century if it can't be knocked on the head promptly.
    It's mostly only a risk for the people who aren't vaccinated. Those of us who are can simply sit back and watch natural selection in action.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifor Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    There is emerging evidence as well that herd immunity is actually starting to break down in some parts of the west due to the "vaccines cause autism" rubbish (or similar) that is still being propagated despite numerous studies debunking it.
    I suspect that this idiocy will go on until a few people's kids die of rubella or something, at which point most of these negligent parents will wake up and realize that they should get their kids vaccinated.
    There is an unfortunate mistrust of science and medicine gathering pace. This may in fact represent one of the largest health risks we face this century if it can't be knocked on the head promptly.
    It's mostly only a risk for the people who aren't vaccinated. Those of us who are can simply sit back and watch natural selection in action.
    Well, not exactly. Depending on the vaccine, personal immunity may not be 100%. We really do rely on having a large community of immunised people in order to protect us fully. As that begins to break down, the risks even to the immunised begin to increase. Furthermore, the larger an infection pool that exists in a community, the greater the risk that a given virus or bacterium will undergo the mutations required to circumvent the current standard treatments or vaccinations.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore timel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    Thanks for the replys.
    I'm sure vaccins are part of our life and it's much safer to do with them.

    Age wise? I guess certain vaccins have to be given with the respect of a certain age? (speaking of babys)

    And what do you think of people relating vaccins to athma.
    I had asthma myself on a young age and one of my relative who just had vaccins right after birth is still affected by asthma. Some tend to say it is due to vaccins.

    what do you think?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by timel
    Thanks for the replys.
    I'm sure vaccins are part of our life and it's much safer to do with them.

    Age wise? I guess certain vaccins have to be given with the respect of a certain age? (speaking of babys)

    And what do you think of people relating vaccins to athma.
    I had asthma myself on a young age and one of my relative who just had vaccins right after birth is still affected by asthma. Some tend to say it is due to vaccins.

    what do you think?
    I don't know of any work to show a causal link between vaccination and asthma. I'm not saying it's impossible, but vaccine uptake is quite strong in developing nations these days and asthma is still not a major problem for them. That's just a vague impression mind you, I don't have numbers on either. Asthma and allergy seem to have very complex causes, but I think a vaccine relationship is pretty unlikely. Most vaccines are designed to induced antibacterial and antiviral responses whereas asthma and allergy are typically overactive anti-parasitic responses. Quite different responses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    I did an extensive review of the literature on asthma and respiratory allergies for a research paper a couple months ago. I don't remember any relations with respect to vaccines.

    You may be thinking about the hygiene hypothesis, that sterile conditions make individuals more susceptible to allergic rhinitis and asthma later in life.

    I actually remember a study done in Africa where they included mycobacterium antigens in a vaccine given to children and found that the vaccinated group had reduced risk of allergy. So, vaccines could potentially be used to ward away allergies in the future as well if we come to understand allergies better.

    However, understanding of allergies and the immune system has advanced massively in the last 20 years, but we still don't completely understand the causes. Though, several asthma susceptibility genes and allergy susceptibility isoforms of TLR have been identified. Thus, there are strong genetic factors that come into play with these disorders.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4
    vaccination is the god's gift given to the living things to protect themseves from immunity.in olden days people suffered a lot due to the uwawareness of these diseases.we must thank to the who organisation for providing these facilities.
    in our forth comming generation it is sure ,that we cannot see such diseases.

    revathy


    wide circles
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Allied Vaccine Group 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2
    the allied vaccine group is comprised of websites dedicated to presenting valid scientific information about the sometimes confusing subject of vaccines. think of this page as your portal to the real world of vaccines, a world based on scientific research, followed by honest disclosure of the research results.

    -------------------------------------
    anupacraig

    exposure
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Allied Vaccine Group 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2
    the allied vaccine group is comprised of websites dedicated to presenting valid scientific information about the sometimes confusing subject of vaccines. think of this page as your portal to the real world of vaccines, a world based on scientific research, followed by honest disclosure of the research results.

    -------------------------------------
    anupacraig

    exposure

    e-mail: drivenwide@yahoo.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13
    Vacination is really very helpful as many disease are corrected vaccined by them.

    Like chicken pox and Polio.

    I think millions of dollar are spent over them every year. i think they are useful that why such huge amount is pending.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2
    Vaccination is the administration of antigenic material to produce immunity to a disease. Vaccines can prevent or ameliorate the effects of infection by a pathogen. It is considered to be the most effective and cost-effective method of preventing infectious diseases.
    Vaccination can be administered orally, nasally, or via injection.

    Vaccination Information Service will inform you primarily about the key fundamentals, indeed critical flaws, of vaccination that apply to every type of vaccine - for children, adults and all animals. So it applies to the influenza or flu vaccine, polio vaccine, hepatitis b vaccine, chicken pox vaccine, hpv vaccine, small pox vaccination, anthrax vaccine, DPT and MMR vaccines, pneumonia vaccine, dog vaccination, rabies vaccination, yellow fever vaccination, etc etc.
    ---------------------
    Richa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    Better to have asthma than to be dead as a dodo.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Picking out keywords, those bots are getting pretty clever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18 Re: Vaccination, is it really worth it? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by timel
    Is vaccination really worth it and I have ear heard that they can be sources of
    more problems than solving?
    You can't trust random internet sources for your information. Try the look at primary literature as much as you can.
    totally agreed
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •