Notices
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Humans are ugly?

  1. #1 Humans are ugly? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22
    I'm starting to feel that all humans are ugly... What is going on.

    P.S. Humans is a virus to earth.


    Super Mega Death Christ Beta 2000!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    We'd be ugly to any species that aren't humans.


    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    We'd be ugly to any species that aren't humans.
    Um, mammals do agree on what is "cute".

    And I'm sure we're simply irresistible to the infrared vision of mosquitoes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Beauty is something completely subjective ofcourse. What we see is nothing but skin and bones with some dead matter we call hair on it, that's not beautiful or ugly per se. Evolution gave us some built-in mechanisms to percieve these collections of skin and hair as beautiful or ugly, otherwise we wouldn't have come far as a species. But that doesn't mean humans are beautiful or ugly per se.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Re: Humans are ugly? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by gailem
    I'm starting to feel that all humans are ugly... What is going on.

    P.S. Humans is a virus to earth.
    You have generalized this . So I would like to clarify if to the proper individuals only.
    It is the Old Testament and the capitalists that are the scourge of the Earth.

    So only political reform of our governments can bring some form of sanity to our lives.

    That is why I wrote My Brand of Socialism to eliminate these self serving
    OT derivitives. Our US Constitution made an attempt to do this but corrupt dollars have transformed our democracy into a republic.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    After standing in my local bus station for twenty minutes waiting for my son I'm inclined to agree!

    Are we now evolving towards webbed hands and feet, extraordinarily large ears and noses and eyes on our chins?
    There seem to be whole families that look this way!

    Humans can certainly behave ugly.

    I know this to be true when i visit my town center on a Saturday night.

    Which is why i don't anymore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Beauty and ugliness are just words, they both are relative to one species to another. Any other creature on this planet currently doesn't understand the concept of ugly and beauty, so we are saying we are ugly, or beautiful is completley vague and ambiguous. Introduce exactly the point behind beauty and ugliness, se what extraterrestrial intelligent beings think, if they think anything of vanity and then make a conclusion, is there any point behind beauty and ugliness? For instance this video is a perfect example of relative ugliness:

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N0LkwLnyCuk
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Humans are ugly? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    You have generalized this . So I would like to clarify if to the proper individuals only.
    It is the Old Testament and the capitalists that are the scourge of the Earth.
    How did you get away with posting this Cosmo? Bill Gates' hacker must have been asleep at the switch.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: Humans are ugly? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    You have generalized this . So I would like to clarify if to the proper individuals only.
    It is the Old Testament and the capitalists that are the scourge of the Earth.
    How did you get away with posting this Cosmo? Bill Gates' hacker must have been asleep at the switch.
    Well, he only discriminates when I use the word 'billionaire'.

    You will notice, I used the word 'capitalist'. Ha ha.

    Cosmo
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Beauty and ugliness are just words, they both are relative to one species to another. Any other creature on this planet currently doesn't understand the concept of ugly and beauty, so we are saying we are ugly, or beautiful is completley vague and ambiguous. Introduce exactly the point behind beauty and ugliness, se what extraterrestrial intelligent beings think, if they think anything of vanity and then make a conclusion, is there any point behind beauty and ugliness? For instance this video is a perfect example of relative ugliness:

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N0LkwLnyCuk
    The meaning of the word 'ugly' as it is used, refers to the personally', rather than the physical meaning or form.

    So, you have to understand the meaning of words as used in 'context'.

    When applied to racial issues, 'fangs and claws' is ugly while 'hands' is good and a substitute for brains.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Still, ugly and beauty applied to even personalities are just words. Other words can be used to portray the same meaning. As I said, its all relative, like your opinion is your relative view, as mine is mine.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman Oliver Tanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    18
    I would like to raise the term "Golden Ratio" into this colloquy. Nature seems to favour the Golden Ratio, as is seen on, for instance, some species of gastropoda, their shells are shaped using the golden ratio. Moreover, the human face is usually considered the more attractive the more it shows the signs of the golden ratio.
    "I have seen death's vistas and returned an even wiser, more exquisite man! Take it in! Bask in the beauty!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Although I'm not sure about the role of this golden ratio, I do agree that some aspects of beauty are 'nature' rather than 'nurture'. Specifically, humans (and animals) recognize certain signs of health as making a person 'beautiful'. Symmetry is one of them. If one eye is a lot bigger than the other then this is very likely a symptom of a disease or malfunction. It's the same with most other body parts.

    A more subtle one: humans like a certain ratio between the hips and the waist of a woman. This ratio correlates with high fertility (I can search for a source if needed, any pop psychological journal could write about this). A broad waist and thin hips is a sign of reduced fertility: I don't know about the waist, but very thin hips certainly don't help in childbirth.
    Oliver, maybe this waist to hip ratio is related to the golden ratio?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman Oliver Tanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    Oliver, maybe this waist to hip ratio is related to the golden ratio?
    Could be so... The ancient greeks (sorry about the cliché) considered human's height being splendid if a horizontal line crossing the person's navel formed a golden ratio with the entire body.
    "I have seen death's vistas and returned an even wiser, more exquisite man! Take it in! Bask in the beauty!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    I've checked a lot of things for golden ratios. Both natural and artificial. Once found an ordinary-looking toilet scrub brush perfectly modeled on golden ratios in all its proportions, no coincidence to be sure! Some very underappreciated draughtspersons out there.

    As for childbirthing hips, it is common wisdom in maternity wards that Asian women generally have "easy" deliveries. Yet the pelvic structure does not embody Western (Caucasian) ideal does it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Spoken like a true synic. I believe their is much more good in the world than evil, but this may because I choose to surround myself with positive figures. Either way, I'm content
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman cool_nikz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Posts
    14
    humans become ugly when they possess a dire character.
    love will endure when you keep it pure...^_^
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18 perception 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    111
    we do not need any 'aliens' to think we are ugly.humans call each other ugly all the time.positive side of this being that competition grows due to this if we are nurtured properly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19 Re: Humans are ugly? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by gailem
    I'm starting to feel that all humans are ugly... What is going on.
    Try wearing beer goggles.
    Dramatisation; may not have happened.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5
    The way I see it, yes. Physically we're very ugly. The reason for this is that most animals bodies are carefully selected to be efficient in their field(niche). The human body, it seems, was not evolved to be physically efficient, or good. It seems that our bodies changed drastically in a short period of time, in order to cater to our ever-growing brains.

    Standing up, for instance, did terrible things for our balance and strength, but great things for our ability to absorb information. When you create a physical entity, without (much) concern for it's physical function, it turns out ugly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    814
    we are like fat maggots multiplying at an alarming rate

    whilst destroying the planet.

    Wherever humans are there is festering rubbish and putrefying smog and pollution.

    We either scavenge from the earth or cover it in grotesque cement.

    We destroy other species of animals and plants

    We behave like useless parasites.

    We have the ability to tend and care for planet earth and the rest of the life on it.

    But we choose not to, because we are ultimately greedy and selfish.

    And we have the nerve to call ourselves the most intelligent species on earth.

    One day the Earth will shudder and shake us all off or devour us.
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (.·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Laughing out loud!

    Nice to see Absum! in full character today. Woo.


    Well we're desert animals. Like ants or termites we create environment to suit us. A house is an artificial temperate desert: no precipitation, no extremes of temperature, not much life happening there. Absum! tear down that roof!



    Objectively, we do lack clean purposeful form. It's a look many unspecialised organisms share. Vagueness.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong
    Laughing out loud!

    Nice to see Absum! in full character today. Woo.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pong
    Well we're desert animals. Like ants or termites we create environment to suit us. A house is an artificial temperate desert: no precipitation, no extremes of temperature, not much life happening there. Absum! tear down that roof!
    If i tear down my roof the rain will piss on me and make all my work AND my bed soggy!

    I am living in the UK we have webbed feet here and large bills and scales from acid rain.
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (.·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    we are like fat maggots multiplying at an alarming rate

    whilst destroying the planet.

    Wherever humans are there is festering rubbish and putrefying smog and pollution.

    We either scavenge from the earth or cover it in grotesque cement.

    We destroy other species of animals and plants

    We behave like useless parasites.

    We have the ability to tend and care for planet earth and the rest of the life on it.

    But we choose not to, because we are ultimately greedy and selfish.

    And we have the nerve to call ourselves the most intelligent species on earth.

    One day the Earth will shudder and shake us all off or devour us.

    We are only doing what we have evolved to do. Expand, be flexible enough to survive and flourish in whatever environment we find ourselves in, change that environment to suit us if it is otherwise unsuitable. We are very good competitors, which of course means bad news for any other organism that needs something we need - land, resources, water. Evolution does not "think" in the long term, so the fact that we may eventually destroy and use up all those things that we need does not factor into our biology. That is something we have to conquer intellectually; we have to take our intellect, which evolved for the purpose of competitive ability, and use it for a different purpose. Which is not as easy as it sounds. But we definitely have to do it.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Evolution does not "think" in the long term, so the fact that we may eventually destroy and use up all those things that we need does not factor into our biology. That is something we have to conquer intellectually; we have to take our intellect, which evolved for the purpose of competitive ability, and use it for a different purpose. Which is not as easy as it sounds. But we definitely have to do it.
    Yeah I've often wondered why humans have such big brains with so much potential yet their thinking only seems to go as far as their big fat arses.

    We don't just waste Earths resources, we waste our own.....what's the use of all those brain cells and tickertape DNA?

    We are hindered by our limited perception and confined to the Earth and the mess we make on it like immature maggots wiggling in their own excretia.........

    maybe one day, if we really make enough effort necessary we might discover how to escape from the suffocating pupa and emerge as something pretty and worthwhile........

    but i won't hold my breath for too long.
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (.·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26 Re: Humans are ugly? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    the netherlands
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by gailem
    I'm starting to feel that all humans are ugly... What is going on.
    No it`s only you, plz don`t look in the mirror so much But to be serious, this is a cliché but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Humans aren`t ugly or beautiful they are what they are. And that`s human. Same thing for artworks. But I agree, if there was a God that created humans he must have been really stupid. Still, I love mankind.
    jullie zijn echt domme sukkels het wetenschapsforum.nl is toch veel beter
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •