Notices
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hacobogoesrawr
  • 1 Post By zinjanthropos
  • 1 Post By teeniewitabeenie1
  • 1 Post By UKDutyPaid

Thread: End of the world

  1. #1 End of the world 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    22
    Imagine the scenario, the end of the world being known and we as human beings only have a year or two to exist. What do you think peoples reactions would be? Will it bring an emotional/physical toll on us? What would change in politics and world relations? The rules or would there even be any? Nihilism?

    Any thoughts on this subject?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    The world would erupt in chaos and there would be pain and suffereing everywhere. The truth is beneath our poised appearence, we are completley out of control.


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    22
    could you elaborate on that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    i'd bank on worldwide hedonism characterized by massive orgies and excessive drug usage. that's an apocalypse i'm SO ready for.

    seriously, i think everything would fall into a state of chaos. i'm picturing a great schism between those folks who believe in something after and those who don't. for those who do believe, get ready to cough up anything of worth as i think indulgences would come back into reality full force. as for politics, I think it would fall nothing short of a completely failed endeavor. i figure politics are a means to regulate the dynamic human interactions that our societies are based on. when these interactions now fail to have any real consequences of substance, why would anyone act civilized? also, i think there would be strong correlation between fanaticism and how much sand remains in the hourglass.

    then again, maybe we would all finally start to get along and hold hands as the final hour passes us by and sends us all light speed into oblivion. that's how it was in Einsteins dreams.
    virginia Jarvis likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyValentine
    could you elaborate on that?


    There you go.

    But the yinyang wheel spins about, so something would happen to balance the terror, perhaps a well placed rapture :P.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    79
    I'm intrigued to think of what kind of evidence could exist that would convince, beyond question, the entire world that our end was certain.

    But, if it did happen and providing there was no way to be a non-believer due to the strength of the evidence, then yes I think social collapse is imminent. I think we would see massive rifts and shifts in social/political groups. Nihilism for sure, as well as a good proportion of religious zeolots and I-told-you-soers gaining big followings and such.

    Having said that. If the evidence that proved our imminent destruction also disproved, again beyond question, the exisitance of god or whathaveyou, then who knows what would happen to society. I really don't know if I could hazzard a guess.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by UKDutyPaid
    I'm intrigued to think of what kind of evidence could exist that would convince, beyond question, the entire world that our end was certain.

    But, if it did happen and providing there was no way to be a non-believer due to the strength of the evidence, then yes I think social collapse is imminent. I think we would see massive rifts and shifts in social/political groups. Nihilism for sure, as well as a good proportion of religious zeolots and I-told-you-soers gaining big followings and such.

    Having said that. If the evidence that proved our imminent destruction also disproved, again beyond question, the exisitance of god or whathaveyou, then who knows what would happen to society. I really don't know if I could hazzard a guess.
    The end of the world is certain but it's the time frame that is unknown. Eventually our sun will turn into a red giant and destroy all life on earth, also we have weapons quite capable of doing the same thing and every indicator suggests that it is probable that we will do just that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,666
    If I knew the end was near then I'd do my damnest to be around when it all comes down. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world.
    virginia Jarvis likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman teeniewitabeenie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    making lemons into lemonade
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Free
    Quote Originally Posted by UKDutyPaid
    I'm intrigued to think of what kind of evidence could exist that would convince, beyond question, the entire world that our end was certain.

    But, if it did happen and providing there was no way to be a non-believer due to the strength of the evidence, then yes I think social collapse is imminent. I think we would see massive rifts and shifts in social/political groups. Nihilism for sure, as well as a good proportion of religious zeolots and I-told-you-soers gaining big followings and such.

    Having said that. If the evidence that proved our imminent destruction also disproved, again beyond question, the exisitance of god or whathaveyou, then who knows what would happen to society. I really don't know if I could hazzard a guess.
    The end of the world is certain but it's the time frame that is unknown. Eventually our sun will turn into a red giant and destroy all life on earth, also we have weapons quite capable of doing the same thing and every indicator suggests that it is probable that we will do just that.

    it's so weird to think of that...that nothing we do now even matters, because one of these days for certain it will be like it never existed..all the greatest people of all time, it wont matter what they accomplished or what we will accomplish, because everything will be gone and no evidence that it ever was. Sun will become a red giant, swallow planents, it will supernova and die and no gravity pull and earth will spin out to be another piece of rock in floating out in space, until it shattered to a million pieces by another piece of floating rock......back to nothing....damn...im crying...
    chad likes this.
    Brief is this existence, as a fleeting visit in a strange house. - Alberto Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by teeniewitabeenie1
    it's so weird to think of that...that nothing we do now even matters, because one of these days for certain it will be like it never existed..all the greatest people of all time, it wont matter what they accomplished or what we will accomplish, because everything will be gone and no evidence that it ever was. Sun will become a red giant, swallow planents, it will supernova and die and no gravity pull and earth will spin out to be another piece of rock in floating out in space, until it shattered to a million pieces by another piece of floating rock......back to nothing....damn...im crying...
    Don't cry, you're focusing on the wrong thing. Don't think how sad it is that all must end. Think instead of how incredibly special and lucky we are to even exist at all. For me it makes my time alive much more exciting and special. Out of all the possible random combinations of random chaotic theory, out of all the possible combinations and ways that things could evolve, we came to exist, to share this thought. Yes, it will come to an end, but it could also not ever have happened. That's pretty f*cking amazing if you ask me. That makes me feel pretty damn special... and happy.
    virginia Jarvis likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman teeniewitabeenie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    making lemons into lemonade
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by UKDutyPaid
    Quote Originally Posted by teeniewitabeenie1
    it's so weird to think of that...that nothing we do now even matters, because one of these days for certain it will be like it never existed..all the greatest people of all time, it wont matter what they accomplished or what we will accomplish, because everything will be gone and no evidence that it ever was. Sun will become a red giant, swallow planents, it will supernova and die and no gravity pull and earth will spin out to be another piece of rock in floating out in space, until it shattered to a million pieces by another piece of floating rock......back to nothing....damn...im crying...
    Don't cry, you're focusing on the wrong thing. Don't think how sad it is that all must end. Think instead of how incredibly special and lucky we are to even exist at all. For me it makes my time alive much more exciting and special. Out of all the possible random combinations of random chaotic theory, out of all the possible combinations and ways that things could evolve, we came to exist, to share this thought. Yes, it will come to an end, but it could also not ever have happened. That's pretty f*cking amazing if you ask me. That makes me feel pretty damn special... and happy.
    that's a good point, we are special and lucky to be here just once even though life is hard and sucks most of the time. i am thankful. i was sad yesterday when i signed off, i was pondering all day even before bed, but then today i go, WHY THE HELL AM I FEELING LIKE THIS!!!my moto is "making lemons into lemonade" pull yourself together!!!!... ?....like mr stevey sunshine, there's always that silver lining with you, UKDutyPaid that's why we love you
    Brief is this existence, as a fleeting visit in a strange house. - Alberto Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    "Be it matter if you are high or you are low, whatever the your mood, go with your cognitive flow". - 425 Chaotic Requsition.
    That basically means, if you are sad, be sad-it will pass. And if you are happy, be happy-hopefully it will last, then again that has to be balanced with sad so its your choice .
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman danspurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    U KNOW
    Posts
    10
    heres my theory on the end of the world, if every day i said it was the end of the world, and tht i would bet 1,000,000 pounds on it and then one day the world did end i would be rich! :wink:
    I quote; "why does my life always co-inside with violence"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    The four horsemen. :P
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    There would definately be chaos and anarchy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    60
    actualy i disagree, i dont think the world would desolve into chaos
    The human mind is not designed to cope with things like that, people would not act as you would think.

    for example on 'black box' footage from a plane before it crashed, all the passengers knew they were going to die several minuets before they crashed and they all acted completely normal they just sat there and continued whatever they were doing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyman
    actualy i disagree, i dont think the world would desolve into chaos
    The human mind is not designed to cope with things like that, people would not act as you would think.

    for example on 'black box' footage from a plane before it crashed, all the passengers knew they were going to die several minuets before they crashed and they all acted completely normal they just sat there and continued whatever they were doing.
    A person is smart. A group is rational. People, are chaotic and manic.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by UKDutyPaid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teeniewitabeenie1
    it's so weird to think of that...that nothing we do now even matters, because one of these days for certain it will be like it never existed..all the greatest people of all time, it wont matter what they accomplished or what we will accomplish, because everything will be gone and no evidence that it ever was. Sun will become a red giant, swallow planents, it will supernova and die and no gravity pull and earth will spin out to be another piece of rock in floating out in space, until it shattered to a million pieces by another piece of floating rock......back to nothing....damn...im crying...
    Don't cry, you're focusing on the wrong thing. Don't think how sad it is that all must end. Think instead of how incredibly special and lucky we are to even exist at all. For me it makes my time alive much more exciting and special. Out of all the possible random combinations of random chaotic theory, out of all the possible combinations and ways that things could evolve, we came to exist, to share this thought. Yes, it will come to an end, but it could also not ever have happened. That's pretty f*cking amazing if you ask me. That makes me feel pretty damn special... and happy.
    I think it is Hinduism that compares the Univers to a giant beating heart, pulsing out then in, compressing everything (black holes) then beating again with life. I think maybe they got something there. Someting is going on that is unexplainable to me and that is the spiritual aspect. I have seen and heard things from living, dying and dead that cannot be explained, yet I know are true. You tell me?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyvalentine View Post
    could you elaborate on that?
    yes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Yes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    There was a book by Neville Shute on exactly that topic, published in 1959, called On the Beach.

    It was set as following a nuclear war, and a radiation cloud was drifting south in Australia destined to kill everyone. The interesting feature was that most people carried on very much as normal, and only made special changes at the last minute. The shop keeper on the last day carefully locked his shop, and made sure it was all tidy. The wife at home ensured the house was clean and tidy. There was a car lover who had a prized car, which he polished, and carefully set up on blocks in his locked garage to make sure it came to no harm.

    The Australian government issued painless suicide pills, and a lot of people went to the beach (hence the book's name) to swallow them with champagne. Parents gave the pills to their children first, and held them in their arms while they died. There was a sense of neatness and order to the whole thing.

    Of course, Neville Shute could have been totally wrong!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    Jehovah's Witnesses believe the end is nigh, and aren't known for orgies and lawlessness.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    JW's are known, instead, for nuttiness.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Jehovah's Witnesses believe the end is nigh, and aren't known for orgies and lawlessness.
    You have to get into their inner circle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    I strongly believe we need a mass destructive event to pave the way for evolving. At the moment we are basically robots living a lie. We should be progressing mentally, not materialistically. We need to help those who need it most, at the minute we pray on the weak, keep the poor poor and ridicule them for being so.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkzero View Post
    I strongly believe we need a mass destructive event to pave the way for evolving.
    In what way would a mass destructive event create an environment in which attention to mental, not material, objectives was favoured?

    When you say progressing mentally, are you not confusing your interpretation of moral absolutes with evolutionary pressures, when in fact the two have few points of contact?

    In what way is withholding help from the weak, preying on the poor and ridiculing them an ineffective evolutionary strategy? One could argue that following these practices has enabled us to exceed seven billion individuals on the planet, which is quite a success for an African ape, especially when you consider how badly our cousins have done. In what way would converting to an approach that was based more powerfully on cooperation and defense of the underpriviliged promote evolution?

    Finally, and I should have asked this first, what do you mean by evolving?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkzero View Post
    I strongly believe we need a mass destructive event to pave the way for evolving. At the moment we are basically robots living a lie. We should be progressing mentally, not materialistically. We need to help those who need it most, at the minute we pray on the weak, keep the poor poor and ridicule them for being so.
    Are suggesting we need to set aside our problems and make a step forward in our social evolution by experiencing a collective tragedy? If so couldn't we acheive the same objective through a monumentous discovery, like finding other life in space and discovering we are no longer alone in the universe.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I strongly believe we need a mass destructive event to pave the way for evolving.
    This is the blueprint followed by many revolutionary groups and leaders. We can't work with people as they are. We have to destroy society as we know it. Wipe the slate clean and start again.

    It's a very old-fashioned idea when you look at all those political movements that developed out of various 19th century philosophies. Same goes for a lot of religious groups. Fascism, socialism, communism, even the kibbutzim of the zionists, and all those spin-off violent movements of the 60s and 70s - all wanted to destroy current human societies and rearrange them to promote their various futile notions of a brave new world. They fully expected a whole new 'man' to emerge from these processes. (Read a bit. It's quite depressing.)

    In fact, it's almost eternal - all those doomsday and end of the world as we know it fanatic groups have been around since at least when we started writing. There are still such groups in remote places which still lack writing - but there's no lack of catastrophe, change the world, it'll all be better afterwards nonsense.

    When you want 'evolution' of a large mammal like humans, you're looking at many, many thousands of years. We're not fruitflies or lab mice where you can get somewhere with a single specified change in 20 or 30 generations. 20 or 30 generations for us is 600 to 900 years - and you're not looking for a single change on a single location on a single strand of DNA, you're looking for major change in the whole organism. So you're looking at 10000 years minimum.

    And how much have we changed in the last 10000 years? Not a lot.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •