Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Happiness in a relationship

  1. #1 Happiness in a relationship 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    161
    Hi there. bit of a maths and behavioral thing here

    i've considered the possibility of calculating how happy someone is in their relationship by observing them. and then calculating a score, then over time, i can see how the score the person recieves relates to happiness.
    at the moment its a bit limited as i havent made many observations,
    but as i make more observations i can eventually plot exactly a persons happiness

    started deriving a formula for it. so i was interested in your opinions.

    what variables do you think should be included?
    do you think this task is possible?


    Liberty is the souls right to breathe
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    This is definitely something that would be interesting to study, but I do think it will be difficult to accomplish. Finding a definition of happiness, let alone happiness within a relationship, that can be comparably measured across many different individuals, is really the basic problem. What makes one person happy will not be the same for another; what one person considers a good relationship will not always be the same as another. Finding purely behavioral, quantitative measurements for happiness will be very difficult.

    The best measurement would probably be something more physical, say the average level of endorphins and/or stress hormones. But even this is tricky, as hormone levels themselves go up or down depending on what the person is experiencing at the time the measurement is made.


    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    161
    well i suppose you could generalise.

    but you make a good point, that when trying to derive a mathematical formula for human behaviour, the problem is that each human wont obey the rules
    Liberty is the souls right to breathe
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    This is a double thread.

    Willmer in pretend moderator mode

    It is forum rules to not have the same thread in two different places.

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/Happi...hip-10002t.php
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by jacketate
    well i suppose you could generalise.

    but you make a good point, that when trying to derive a mathematical formula for human behaviour, the problem is that each human wont obey the rules
    I wouldn't say that we don't obey the rules; more that the rules are extremely complex and difficult to puzzle out. I never said it wasn't possible, just that it would be far from easy. I'm sure you could run a whole thread just on discussing what behaviors seem to be common in happy people.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient

    Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Give-take.
    Take-give.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    19
    i think an important behavioural variable would be the amount of kissing that goes on. In my experience of multiple failed relationships the first sign of the end is when the amount of kisses given and received starts to tail off.

    It would be interesting to calculate the exact percentage of snogs per week compared to the initial baseline level that would signify the beginning of the end. Perhaps developing a Snogometer would be a real moneyspinner and would appeal to those who don't want to waste any more time than necessary on a doomed relationship. The data might also be handy as evidence in divorce cases too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm
    i think an important behavioural variable would be the amount of kissing that goes on. In my experience of multiple failed relationships the first sign of the end is when the amount of kisses given and received starts to tail off.

    It would be interesting to calculate the exact percentage of snogs per week compared to the initial baseline level that would signify the beginning of the end. Perhaps developing a Snogometer would be a real moneyspinner and would appeal to those who don't want to waste any more time than necessary on a doomed relationship. The data might also be handy as evidence in divorce cases too.
    Hmmmm...

    I might even think that PDAs (Public Displays of Affection?) could be used. If she stops clinging to you at bus stops, you know the magic's gone...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinewarrio
    If she stops clinging to you at bus stops, you know the magic's gone...
    Or maybe you've stopped taking the bus.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinewarrio
    If she stops clinging to you at bus stops, you know the magic's gone...
    Or maybe you've stopped taking the bus.
    Well i would hope you had a car! A girl won't dress up for you in the apparel you might like her to (e.g short skirt? High heels?) If she has to walk or take the bus!

    Good relationships are spoilt by each partner fretting about what the other is doing or sayin or being and instead should focus on what the self is doing, saying or being.

    Communication, special little acts of kindness and generosity, consideration, sponteneous affection, saying i love you every day and not just in words, forgiving mistakes and weaknesses, always being the first to say sorry and never forgetting to tell your lover how wonderful and special they are.

    Love is a living energy like a fire. If it's not tended, fed and stoked, it will go out and once those embers have died down to a certain point, it is very difficult to rekindle the flames.

    Some say love is a form of madness and avoid it like the plague but i would rather suffer the lurgy than never to have loved at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    lol, you guys are making me feel old. I disagree with this whole PDA thing, because after you've been in a relationship for several years the need to be clinging to each other at every possible moment goes down - but that doesn't mean that the relationship is on the brink of collapse. I don't think it would be a very accurate correlation.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    lol, you guys are making me feel old. I disagree with this whole PDA thing, because after you've been in a relationship for several years the need to be clinging to each other at every possible moment goes down - but that doesn't mean that the relationship is on the brink of collapse. I don't think it would be a very accurate correlation.
    It was a bit tongue-in-cheek: us Londoners tend to look down our noses at couples who engage in that sort of thing. It's all a bit chav.

    And being a Londoner I neither need, nor have, a car. If that makes me less than alpha male that's fine. I feel superior about doing my bit for the planet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinewarrio
    It was a bit tongue-in-cheek: us Londoners tend to look down our noses at couples who engage in that sort of thing. It's all a bit chav.
    And a bit of a missed opportunity, perhaps.

    With about 700,000 foreigners now estimated to be living permanently in Britain, romantic prospects have never been rosier for British men. Our cities are full of attractive, bright young women from all over the world. Yet, too often, the men they view as potential breeding partners turn out to be less James Bond and more Austin Powers.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...gnwomen127.xml
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Define 'happiness'

    Define' what a relationship is and how it should be'

    A wanting anything, including a 'happy relationship' exists in now and the future. So define what 'now' is and where the future is going.

    If two people can agree on all the above, you've got a very good foundation on which to build a very happy, successful and prosperous relationship.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    81
    Happiness is just your brain releasing the right chemicals into your blood stream. So really the question is what external stimuli is it that produces the desired effect. This will be different for everyone of course but you should be able to find some constants to at least start from.
    "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Go the whole reductionist route and just measure diastolic blood pressure, white blood cell count, and serotonin levels.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18 Re: Happiness in a relationship 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jacketate
    Hi there. bit of a maths and behavioral thing here

    i've considered the possibility of calculating how happy someone is in their relationship by observing them. and then calculating a score, then over time, i can see how the score the person recieves relates to happiness.
    at the moment its a bit limited as i havent made many observations,
    but as i make more observations i can eventually plot exactly a persons happiness

    started deriving a formula for it. so i was interested in your opinions.

    what variables do you think should be included?
    do you think this task is possible?
    I think, before you come up with a formula, you should consider how much happiness depends on mood. Otherwise I think you are talking about satisfaction. Also, if I may suggest, have a look into the research that has been done on lottery winners and their state of happiness.

    __________________________________________________ _____
    Truth is only for those, who can handle it. -me
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •