Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: About Christmas

  1. #1 About Christmas 
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    Why is it that december 24th became a religious tradition when so much about it is heathen traditions?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 ??? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Desk, Study, House, Street, Town, Country, World, Universe.
    Posts
    11
    Sorry i am new here and i have 13 years to put by my name but could you explain more what heathen is? I man i've asked my mum and dad but they just told me it is somone who doesn't belive in anything religious. Does this mean that the 24th of December was special to heathen's? If so isn't it called a special day and why was it special?


    I am 13 years old and i am on here because my mum is always on here and i want to see what the fuss is about.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    According to traditional Catholic beliefs, a heathen is anyone who follows a religion other than Catholicism. Many of the traditions associated with Christmas and Christmas Eve are originally from the traditions of other religions. Christianity incorporated these traditions in order to more easily convert heathens.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    According to traditional Catholic beliefs, a heathen is anyone who follows a religion other than Catholicism. Many of the traditions associated with Christmas and Christmas Eve are originally from the traditions of other religions. Christianity incorporated these traditions in order to more easily convert heathens.
    A wild assumption, where is the evidence for this paralith?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    According to traditional Catholic beliefs, a heathen is anyone who follows a religion other than Catholicism. Many of the traditions associated with Christmas and Christmas Eve are originally from the traditions of other religions. Christianity incorporated these traditions in order to more easily convert heathens.
    A wild assumption, where is the evidence for this paralith?
    Haha, wild assumption? Alright, I thought this was relatively common knowledge, but I'll go look for some sources when I get a chance.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Many Christian and Catholic religious festivals were based around other pagan festivals in order to easily incorporate them and so the local savage heathens would accept them easily when the missionaries were trying to convert them.

    The date for Jesus's birth was influenced by the Roman Celebration of Dies Natalis Solis Invicti (The Unconquered Sun God) and is not really the true date of Jesus's birth (does anyone really know!?)
    Pagan traditions in Rome were then wiped out under Emperor Theodosius when the Romans began to accept Christianity (instead of throwing the Christians to the lions!)

    Winter Festivals were common in Pagan religions in the Northern Hemisphere in recognition of the Winter Solstice and the longest day. (The death of the old king and the rebirth of the new, the king obviously being the sun)

    Christians just stole these festivals in order to lure Pagans over to their faith, with some threats of torture and death thrown in of course!

    The Christmas tree is an aspect of Pagan tree worship which remained in the festivities.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    I thought jesus was born 9 months after his conception, then I was told his mother was a virgin and his father was a god, this screwed me so much that I turned to science and quantum physics which seemed a lot easier to undrestand. :?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    I thought jesus was born 9 months after his conception, then I was told his mother was a virgin and his father was a god, this screwed me so much that I turned to science and quantum physics which seemed a lot easier to undrestand. :?
    I get Jehovas Witnesses or Mormons knocking on my door on almost a weekly basis and i have a set of questions prepared for them.

    It satisfies my sadistic streak in seeing them squirm speechlessly.

    I save that streak for those who are so blind stupid and ignorant as to believe every single word in the Bible as the truth!

    What are these people on? That is some serious brain washing!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    I usually just say a few words in Russian, German, or Dutch, say 'wait please' (in a simulated foreign accent) then go into the house and bring out an old (not working DVD player) give it to them and shut the door!

    I must video the results sometime! THey never seem to take the DVD player though!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Junior Kolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    I usually just say a few words in Russian, German, or Dutch, say 'wait please' (in a simulated foreign accent) then go into the house and bring out an old (not working DVD player) give it to them and shut the door!

    I must video the results sometime! THey never seem to take the DVD player though!
    Megabrain! you old son-of-a-bitch you!

    Where the hell have you been?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    Many Christian and Catholic religious festivals were based around other pagan festivals in order to easily incorporate them and so the local savage heathens would accept them easily when the missionaries were trying to convert them.

    The date for Jesus's birth was influenced by the Roman Celebration of Dies Natalis Solis Invicti (The Unconquered Sun God) and is not really the true date of Jesus's birth (does anyone really know!?)
    Pagan traditions in Rome were then wiped out under Emperor Theodosius when the Romans began to accept Christianity (instead of throwing the Christians to the lions!)

    Winter Festivals were common in Pagan religions in the Northern Hemisphere in recognition of the Winter Solstice and the longest day. (The death of the old king and the rebirth of the new, the king obviously being the sun)

    Christians just stole these festivals in order to lure Pagans over to their faith, with some threats of torture and death thrown in of course!

    The Christmas tree is an aspect of Pagan tree worship which remained in the festivities.
    Ah, thank you, Minxy. You know more than I did.

    And for you, svwillmer, just go to the wikipedia article on christmas. It's well referenced and has even more details for you. It would appear that the only wild assumption here was your assumption that I made a wild assumption.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •