Notices
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Why is swearing taboo?

  1. #1 Why is swearing taboo? 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Just curious, why exactly is swearing percieved as impolite and rude? They are just archaeic words, why are they wrong? And why when we say them when we are angry or happy, or more accuratley, experiencing intense emotions use them and only them for they are the only words that satisfy that emotion, such as when really angry: F&%K YOU YOU MOTHER... you get the point. Or HOLY S%&t that was awesome!

    What is the purpose behind swear words being taboo and why are they words to use when feeling intense emotions?


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    I've had the thought that it shouldn't be so much the words themselves, but the way in which we say them/the context in which they're used. For example, the f-word is really just a word like any other word, so how can it be 'bad'? Well, it isn't, in my opinion, unless it's used in a derogative way such as "f-you" or whatever.


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    yes, but

    F&%K YOU YOU MOTHER... you get the point. Or HOLY S%&t that was awesome!
    are two examples in which God's name is not used. Unless his unofficial name is MOTHER...!
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    i'm sure you'll take offense if i call you a lame homosexual pig.
    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by dejawolf
    i'm sure you'll take offense if i call you a lame homosexual pig.
    only because it is the truth.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey
    [
    F&%K YOU YOU MOTHER... you get the point. Or HOLY S%&t that was awesome!
    are two examples in which God's name is not used. Unless his unofficial name is MOTHER...!
    However, the first, arguably breaks another commandment.
    Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

    In the second instance I am sure SV will acknowledge that only God and things directly associated with God are Holy. Therefore the expression Holy S%&t is an indirect abuse of the Lord's name.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Quote Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey
    [
    F&%K YOU YOU MOTHER... you get the point. Or HOLY S%&t that was awesome!
    are two examples in which God's name is not used. Unless his unofficial name is MOTHER...!
    However, the first, arguably breaks another commandment.
    Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

    In the second instance I am sure SV will acknowledge that only God and things directly associated with God are Holy. Therefore the expression Holy S%&t is an indirect abuse of the Lord's name.
    are these substitutes ok then? Surely God isn't a motherf***** retard.

    He must understand what "Darn" stands for.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    I'm agreeing with Chemboy on this one, all though you make a strong point Ophiolite.

    I think it is just as bad for someone to use f*ck when they're angrey as if they are to say grape in the same context.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    M
    M is offline
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    282
    Just curious, why exactly is swearing percieved as impolite and rude?
    Because that's what "swearing" means. If it isn't rude and impolite, it's not "swearing".

    Webster defines swearing as "using profane or obscene language". Now you can follow up on the definition of those words. Both of them are inherently rude and impolite, by definition.

    I think your question is ill-posed. I suppose you are really trying to ask why certain words are considered "swearing".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Quote Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey
    [
    F&%K YOU YOU MOTHER... you get the point. Or HOLY S%&t that was awesome!
    are two examples in which God's name is not used. Unless his unofficial name is MOTHER...!
    However, the first, arguably breaks another commandment.
    Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

    In the second instance I am sure SV will acknowledge that only God and things directly associated with God are Holy. Therefore the expression Holy S%&t is an indirect abuse of the Lord's name.
    Honour thy mother and father so thou may live in the house The LORD has provided you. Again another interpretation. I only say Holy sh!t once a day if such an event causes me to say it, and that event must be a positve one. Coming from me saying that is a huge compliment. Like when Demen Tolden in the maths section under his calculus chapters when he was describing with ease a lot of complicated mathematical text, I complimented him by saying those two words.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    i don't remember the bible or the 10 commandments saying anything about scathological remarks
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    i don't remember the bible or the 10 commandments saying anything about scathological remarks
    It's all in the interpretation of the words.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    surely it is ok for atheist to swear then.

    They don't live by the bible.

    Should they be discriminated because other people believe in a book?
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    Damn that's right fuck of bitches.

    I'm glad I live in a liberat country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    swearing isn't taboo everywhere.
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    Yes, if you've ever met any miners, you'll find swearing's the norm. Not swearing is considered taboo. Well, not really taboo, but they'll think you're effeminate and probably gay.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    idem ditto for steel workers
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    and Jerry Springer attenedee types

    really, you chaps should get out more.

    Meanwhile, tv would suggest it is not taboo, rarely find a single film without it.
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    It's because you can't be "tough" without swearing or smoking.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    It's because you can't be "tough" without swearing or smoking.
    well

    if I watch a foreign film, I can detect the tough guy and have NO idea whether they are swearing or not, so yes, one can be tough without swearing BUT, they add swearing as they feel the public desire to hear it.

    Thus not taboo anymore, else it would remain banned as it was in the 50's.

    Swear words are even creeping into the oxford dictionary are they not?
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by TvEye
    Yes, if you've ever met any miners, you'll find swearing's the norm. Not swearing is considered taboo. Well, not really taboo, but they'll think you're effeminate and probably gay.
    When I worked offshore on drillling rigs it was ****ing mandatory to say **** in just about every ****ing sentence, whether it was ****ing relevant , or ****ing not. Some ****ing people, ****ing said ****ing even more ****ing often than that. I mean, ****!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Quote Originally Posted by TvEye
    Yes, if you've ever met any miners, you'll find swearing's the norm. Not swearing is considered taboo. Well, not really taboo, but they'll think you're effeminate and probably gay.
    When I worked offshore on drillling rigs it was ****ing mandatory to say **** in just about every ****ing sentence, whether it was ****ing relevant , or ****ing not. Some ****ing people, ****ing said ****ing even more ****ing often than that. I mean, ****!
    Right, to some Londoners is good manners to swear:

    "Fu>k off and have a break I'll cover yer shift you fu>king cnut".
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    sv, i think your example still has the intention to be offensive
    ophi's isn't : miners, steel workers + offshore workers use the f-word as structural filling in their sentences, a bit like extra punctuation
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Well he was looking out for me on my shift and his tone was friendly so as you say it must have been punctuation. Never the less there was no offense intended in it. Its my topic anyway so I'll post what I like marnix.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Well he was looking out for me on my shift and his tone was friendly so as you say it must have been punctuation. Never the less there was no offense intended in it.
    i take back what i said
    now that you've explained the circumstances under which it was said, i agree that it is an example of the same

    which goes to show : it's not the words that are offensive, but the way they are said (or not, as the case may be)
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Which supports that tone and body language makes up 90% of human communication.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    I figure it is taboo as long as it's geting shaded in posts, and I don't mean to be rude when I say fuck, You see it posted the full word. Each of you shaded out the words your self. Why would you do that if it isn't taboo.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    many forums would translate your 'fuck' automatically to '****', so people have got into the habit of self censure
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    Yeah, good point.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •