Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Science Forum observation

  1. #1 Science Forum observation 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    54
    As an observation of the top 4 topics, based on current “Posts” numbers they rank as follows:
    1. 36% Religion with 15051 Posts
    2. 27% Physics with 11165 Posts
    3. 20% is Astronomy & Cosmology with 8564 Posts
    4. 17% is Biology with 7082 Posts


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Guest
    I expected the trash bin to rank #1. :P


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    1. 36% Religion with 15051 Posts
    It was established in another thread that most scientists are religious in some form or the other, but I wonder what the concentration is on this forum? I'd guess it is reversed or at least closer to equal. That would explain the prevalence of religious posts.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    1. 36% Religion with 15051 Posts
    It was established in another thread that most scientists are religious in some form or the other, but I wonder what the concentration is on this forum? I'd guess it is reversed or at least closer to equal. That would explain the prevalence of religious posts.
    But what does it say about students of English Literature? Eh? Eh? Eh?

    You lookin' at me?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    I expected the trash bin to rank #1. :P
    Maybe if some topics were put in the right place
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    1. 36% Religion with 15051 Posts
    It was established in another thread that most scientists are religious in some form or the other, but I wonder what the concentration is on this forum? I'd guess it is reversed or at least closer to equal. That would explain the prevalence of religious posts.
    I guess people are curious about religion be they atheists or not, otherwise they would not post in that sub topic. Of course some like to slag off atheism or theism so its yin and yang really when it comes to the religion topic.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    For me, it's no longer curiosity. Merely boredom. As anyone should have guessed by how infrequent my posts are in the religion section. I used to be curious about the various arguments for and against religion, but religion is of no interest anymore. I've played it out. Alas, I've also concluded behavior examinations of most religious people I've seen.

    Religion, for any person seeking education (non-believer or not), eventually ends up useless. In every way. It's useless as a crutch, as an analysis tool, and as a simple curiosity. I only wish I could download my experience into everyone else so the religion thread could be removed. Heh.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    For me, it's no longer curiosity. Merely boredom. As anyone should have guessed by how infrequent my posts are in the religion section. I used to be curious about the various arguments for and against religion, but religion is of no interest anymore. I've played it out. Alas, I've also concluded behavior examinations of most religious people I've seen.

    Religion, for any person seeking education (non-believer or not), eventually ends up useless. In every way. It's useless as a crutch, as an analysis tool, and as a simple curiosity. I only wish I could download my experience into everyone else so the religion thread could be removed. Heh.
    i wish the religious section wasn't here too, i hit the "posts since last visit", try to ignore the religious post, but the comedy and delusional value is enough to draw me in. always gives me something to laugh about
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    For me, it's no longer curiosity. Merely boredom. As anyone should have guessed by how infrequent my posts are in the religion section. I used to be curious about the various arguments for and against religion, but religion is of no interest anymore. I've played it out. Alas, I've also concluded behavior examinations of most religious people I've seen.

    Religion, for any person seeking education (non-believer or not), eventually ends up useless. In every way. It's useless as a crutch, as an analysis tool, and as a simple curiosity. I only wish I could download my experience into everyone else so the religion thread could be removed. Heh.
    i wish the religious section wasn't here too, i hit the "posts since last visit", try to ignore the religious post, but the comedy and delusional value is enough to draw me in. always gives me something to laugh about
    Theres always a new post when you enter the religion topic though isn't there? If it's useless it suits one purpose, taking your frustrations out on each other and then blaming God.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Guest
    Okay, so why don't we just all get together and beat each others brains out in real life? That could work too 8)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    For me, it's no longer curiosity. Merely boredom. As anyone should have guessed by how infrequent my posts are in the religion section. I used to be curious about the various arguments for and against religion, but religion is of no interest anymore. I've played it out. Alas, I've also concluded behavior examinations of most religious people I've seen.

    Religion, for any person seeking education (non-believer or not), eventually ends up useless. In every way. It's useless as a crutch, as an analysis tool, and as a simple curiosity. I only wish I could download my experience into everyone else so the religion thread could be removed. Heh.
    i wish the religious section wasn't here too, i hit the "posts since last visit", try to ignore the religious post, but the comedy and delusional value is enough to draw me in. always gives me something to laugh about
    Theres always a new post when you enter the religion topic though isn't there? If it's useless it suits one purpose, taking your frustrations out on each other and then blaming God.

    well of course im frustrated that in this modern world theres still people with such archaic views as religion, the human race cant truely move on while so many are too scared to let go of their child like comfort blanket, for that i cant blame god(as he doesn't exist), but obviously i blame thiests beliefs in god
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    161
    I believe that religion doesn't hold the answer for science, in fact looking at my signature is the main reason i don't believe it.

    But i don't think religion should be removed. I think if taught by the right people religion provides the answers to morality and how we should live our lives as i hate to use the phrase "good" people as how do you define "good".

    By the right people i mean people who dont promote Fundamentalism
    Liberty is the souls right to breathe
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Well we all come from the same soup have you and atheist or religious view, so those differences have to be similarities.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    And now there's one more thread about religion.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Guest
    At least I contributed and made two threads in this one and the politics subforum. :?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •