Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The Second Brain

  1. #1 The Second Brain 
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,777
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...r-second-brain

    Brain works off electricity and stomach area stores it, or something.
    Is this to be taken seriously?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,914
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...r-second-brain

    Brain works off electricity and stomach area stores it, or something.
    Is this to be taken seriously?
    Very seriously. It would be interesting to conduct surveys of mental well being as set against digestive health.

    I have personally had cause in recent days to ask myself whether the "me" I felt whilst having a bad day was the same "me" when my well being returned the following days.
    The article points out that this is a new area of research and I would guess that ,if accurate would represent a part of the overall picture and nothing like the whole.

    Is this a thread for DianeG to contribute to?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,777
    Must admit, I got on the case after watching this video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaefdiE4ovk

    At the end he describes a well known technique for stimulating the abdominal area which basically is breathing down into and expanding the belly.
    I don't have evidence it works for me, but it might.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    well, if Wikipedia treats the enteric nervous system as standard info, then I assume it canít be a wild, shoot-from-the-hip idea

    as for calling it a second brain, I assume itís done in a metaphorical sense, presumably because it constitutes one of the bodyís autonomic systems
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR View Post
    I assume it’s done in a metaphorical sense, presumably because it constitutes one of the body’s autonomic systems
    There does appear to a link between the brain and the stomach, as when the stomach sends a message to the brain for food based on the body clock.

    According to this theory the brain behaves like a hologram.
    Our Brain Is A Holographic Machine Existing In A Holographic Universe | MessageToEagle.com

    Should this be true then memories might also be stored in the stomach which then give rise to emotions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Should this be true then memories might also be stored in the stomach which then give rise to emotions.
    hmmm ... not sure about that one, imo thatís taking the brain analogy too far
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,914
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Should this be true then memories might also be stored in the stomach which then give rise to emotions.
    hmmm ... not sure about that one, imo that’s taking the brain analogy too far
    Well it is testable. People have their stomachs removed or diseased ,don't they?

    I think it would be obvious if there were consequences along those lines (except perhaps for subtle ones nobody thought to look for or notice)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,777
    Where would you say memories are stored?
    Possibly not all in the brain but in other locations as well.
    The universe could itself be a hologram which stores all generated information.
    I experience dreams so vivid and real that when I wake up I feel like I'm in a different world.
    Then I soon forget the dream. It seems dreams have never been properly explained. Jung had a theory of archetypes. The Tibetans believe that dream yoga can transport you to other planets. Would like to go to Mars for a holiday.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Where would you say memories are stored?
    Possibly not all in the brain but in other locations as well.
    The universe could itself be a hologram which stores all generated information.
    I experience dreams so vivid and real that when I wake up I feel like I'm in a different world.
    Then I soon forget the dream. It seems dreams have never been properly explained. Jung had a theory of archetypes. The Tibetans believe that dream yoga can transport you to other planets. Would like to go to Mars for a holiday.
    Wish I could remember where I read a scientist say in reference to the universe, 'This is what nothing looks like'. Could one use that description for a dream?
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. More evidence against left brain, right brain theories
    By adelady in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 27th, 2013, 11:05 PM
  2. "Brain Training", or, I feel like my brain is dyin
    By Leukocyte in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: March 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
  3. please help i have brain hambridge / blood spot in brain
    By rizwanali in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 12th, 2008, 10:25 AM
  4. please help i have brain hambridge / blood spot in brain
    By rizwanali in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 14th, 2008, 06:41 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •