Notices
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Embarrassed of what??

  1. #1 Embarrassed of what?? 
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    I suddenly wondered why most people are embarrassed of going out on the street naked?? (except for the fact that its illegal). But even if it wasnt people most people still wouldnt do it because they would be embarrassed. It just made me wonder what exactly is it that we are embarrassed of?? Is it just the way we have been brought up in the society?? I think that most people if they saw a person in the street with no clothes on, their first reaction would be "oh dear, weird person, get away from me", but what exactly are we so frightened and embarassed of?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    As we are growing up our parents set limits and lines. These effect us all the way through our lives and include things like don't get into cars with strangers or run around naked, they get programmed into our heads as things we shouldn't do.


    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    thats what i thought, but the thing is what exactly are we embarrassed of?? After all, isnt it all natural? There are some people who go to nudist beaches and all that, but what are the rest of us scared of?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    modern values, we are taught that it's modest to walk around in clothes and rude not too, i think that because we are taught that it's rude to walk around with no clothes on that it becomes associated with embarracement, so been seen naked by people triggers this emotion because you are doing something rude
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    So its all just in the head! And not based on any biological instincts or whatever and the problem is, we dont even know what exactly we are embarrassed of. If someone asked me why i was embarrassed i would know what to say, i just am.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,595
    many small societies around the world ware little or no clothing. Africa is the most referenced. these folks would have no idea what your talking about and think clothing is a endurance and are not the least bit embarrassed, intimidated or influence (sexually) by their neighbors.

    as humans, we tend to like the forbidden. we desire to see what is not allowed, so to speak. nudity is a social taboo in public and when this happens it can stimulate, either the naked or the audience. the naked is considered an expansionist, the on looker either a goggler or pervert. neither are likely true.

    if a person is caught off guard, naked and in view of others any embarrassment would be from self perception of appearance. many folks with look looks, would have little trouble with this. many careers have been made by such actions, to say nothing of getting the attentions of wanted others...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Embarrassed of what?? 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    I suddenly wondered why most people are embarrassed of going out on the street naked?? (except for the fact that its illegal). But even if it wasnt people most people still wouldnt do it because they would be embarrassed. It just made me wonder what exactly is it that we are embarrassed of?? Is it just the way we have been brought up in the society?? I think that most people if they saw a person in the street with no clothes on, their first reaction would be "oh dear, weird person, get away from me", but what exactly are we so frightened and embarassed of?
    Because it is out of the ordinary and abnormal; at least that is the way most of society would see it. You dont see that many naked people out in the street, and nobody wants to stand out that much. I was in the army where uniform was necessary on certain occassions. I would not have dreamed of turning up on the parade ground in anything other than my unifrom, not for fear of being shouted at, but for fear of being laughed at.

    Would you go to work in your PJ's ? no you wouldnt !! Why ?
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Guest
    It is a common dream people have that they find themselves naked in public, I have read that all normally clothed peoples have this dream from time to time. Remember though not everybody remembers all their dreams.

    Just google "naked in public dreams" (as I did) to see there may be some truth in this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    I bet that would go down a treat at the office. When you walk in and everyone stares at you, then you look down and realise. "Damn!" you say outloud, "I just KNEW I forgot to do something before I left the house!".
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    It's illegal to go outside naked? Um, hello... should we force dogs to wear clothes too? Cats? Cows? Horses? Donkeys? What kind of society is this? As far as I know, that's against human rights.
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    It's also bloody cold!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Man made clothes to protect his body from cold and other natural phenomenon.
    Now it has become a trend.
    I hope you eat a roasted meat rather than a rotten meat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by anand_kapadia
    I hope you eat a roasted meat rather than a rotten meat
    That is what curry powder was originally for, to disguise the taste of rotting meat!

    So I guess your remark was some sort of local joke...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    thats what i thought, but the thing is what exactly are we embarrassed of?? After all, isnt it all natural? There are some people who go to nudist beaches and all that, but what are the rest of us scared of?
    Hey, have you seen the people who go to nudiest beaches. Old, short, fat, ugly people. Now those are people who need to feel embarrassed. I think unless you have a reasonable attractive body you should feel embarassed parading it around, and inflicting it on the rest of us.

    Seriously though, the sun can do a huge amount of damage to your body.
    Originally we started to cover up for protection from the environment. In some cases its a life or death thing. Its small wonder that the need to cover up has been programmed into us through out the centuries. Clothes weren't invented as a fashion statement, or because of shame. Its clearly for protection. If it were practical I'd be walking around wearing a full metal jacket.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    thats what i thought, but the thing is what exactly are we embarrassed of?? After all, isnt it all natural? There are some people who go to nudist beaches and all that, but what are the rest of us scared of?
    Hey, have you seen the people who go to nudiest beaches. Old, short, fat, ugly people. Now those are people who need to feel embarrassed. I think unless you have a reasonable attractive body you should feel embarassed parading it around, and inflicting it on the rest of us.

    Seriously though, the sun can do a huge amount of damage to your body.
    Originally we started to cover up for protection from the environment. In some cases its a life or death thing. Its small wonder that the need to cover up has been programmed into us through out the centuries. Clothes weren't invented as a fashion statement, or because of shame. Its clearly for protection. If it were practical I'd be walking around wearing a full metal jacket.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Erm. Humans, apes, were at one time covered in thick hair, this would have given us the functional advantage of keeping warm. What happened ?
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    thats what i thought, but the thing is what exactly are we embarrassed of?? After all, isnt it all natural? There are some people who go to nudist beaches and all that, but what are the rest of us scared of?
    Hey, have you seen the people who go to nudiest beaches. Old, short, fat, ugly people. Now those are people who need to feel embarrassed. I think unless you have a reasonable attractive body you should feel embarassed parading it around, and inflicting it on the rest of us.

    Seriously though, the sun can do a huge amount of damage to your body.
    Originally we started to cover up for protection from the environment. In some cases its a life or death thing. Its small wonder that the need to cover up has been programmed into us through out the centuries. Clothes weren't invented as a fashion statement, or because of shame. Its clearly for protection. If it were practical I'd be walking around wearing a full metal jacket.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Erm. Humans, apes, were at one time covered in thick hair, this would have given us the functional advantage of keeping warm. What happened ?
    I don't recall hearing in biology class that humans once had fur. Its possible we may have been more hairy, but I don't think we ever had fur.
    I doubt a little extra hair would do the trick.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins

    Erm. Humans, apes, were at one time covered in thick hair, this would have given us the functional advantage of keeping warm. What happened ?
    I don't recall hearing in biology class that humans once had fur. Its possible we may have been more hairy, but I don't think we ever had fur.
    I doubt a little extra hair would do the trick.
    ever seen an ape? well once upon a time we used to look like that and the hair really does help, why do you think people wander around in thick fur jackets in winter
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins

    Erm. Humans, apes, were at one time covered in thick hair, this would have given us the functional advantage of keeping warm. What happened ?
    I don't recall hearing in biology class that humans once had fur. Its possible we may have been more hairy, but I don't think we ever had fur.
    I doubt a little extra hair would do the trick.
    ever seen an ape? well once upon a time we used to look like that and the hair really does help, why do you think people wander around in thick fur jackets in winter
    Once again, the last time I checked, science didn't say we were descended from apes. At any rate at some point we started to loose hair, and I imagine thats when we started to cover up. Assuming you were correct and we did have lots of hair, that wouldn't of been the time we started wearing tuxedos or the like. When the hair came off, and we know it did, thats when the clothes came on. The point I'm making is that clothes would have started as protection (from the weather, from knocks and grazes, etc) not from a perceived sense of shame.

    regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Guest
    We probably lost the hair when we left the trees and started out on the plains, most other primates still live 'under cover'. If you look at plains animals thay have only very short hair or none at alll. There are exceptions though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins

    Erm. Humans, apes, were at one time covered in thick hair, this would have given us the functional advantage of keeping warm. What happened ?
    I don't recall hearing in biology class that humans once had fur. Its possible we may have been more hairy, but I don't think we ever had fur.
    I doubt a little extra hair would do the trick.
    ever seen an ape? well once upon a time we used to look like that and the hair really does help, why do you think people wander around in thick fur jackets in winter
    Once again, the last time I checked, science didn't say we were descended from apes. At any rate at some point we started to loose hair, and I imagine thats when we started to cover up. Assuming you were correct and we did have lots of hair, that wouldn't of been the time we started wearing tuxedos or the like. When the hair came off, and we know it did, thats when the clothes came on. The point I'm making is that clothes would have started as protection (from the weather, from knocks and grazes, etc) not from a perceived sense of shame.

    regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    We didnt descent from apes. Hmm.....I think if you check your texts books you will find that we ARE apes !!!!
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    We didnt descent from apes. Hmm.....I think if you check your texts books you will find that we ARE apes !!!!
    No I think at best you could class us as 'primates' though looking around I can easily see where the mistake might have arisen!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert

    Once again, the last time I checked, science didn't say we were descended from apes. At any rate at some point we started to loose hair, and I imagine thats when we started to cover up. Assuming you were correct and we did have lots of hair, that wouldn't of been the time we started wearing tuxedos or the like. When the hair came off, and we know it did, thats when the clothes came on. The point I'm making is that clothes would have started as protection (from the weather, from knocks and grazes, etc) not from a perceived sense of shame.
    fine then, we are evovled from from primates, does it make a difference? we once had lots more hair, clothing was probably started off as a trophy thing or paranormal like 'I kill that animal i wear it's skin to make me stronger'. As we wore clothing more and more often the hair that we had would have become less and less
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Guest
    The origin of clothes as I have heard comes from the earliest man either carrying prey home, or, from carrying animal skin shelters around. From this it is thought that it 'clicked' that the patrs of the body which were in contact with the prey, or the skins, was 'more comfortable' than exposed skin areas. This is then thought to have led to the earliest forms of clothing being a simple wrap, and on to clothes being 'tied on' and finally to tailoring. A second theory I have across over the years is that is was thought that 'camoflage' was used to sneak up on prey, but also found to be more comfortable in cold weather. Of these two I favour the first but only marginally.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24 paranormal what? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert

    Once again, the last time I checked, science didn't say we were descended from apes. At any rate at some point we started to loose hair, and I imagine thats when we started to cover up. Assuming you were correct and we did have lots of hair, that wouldn't of been the time we started wearing tuxedos or the like. When the hair came off, and we know it did, thats when the clothes came on. The point I'm making is that clothes would have started as protection (from the weather, from knocks and grazes, etc) not from a perceived sense of shame.
    fine then, we are evovled from from primates, does it make a difference? we once had lots more hair, clothing was probably started off as a trophy thing or paranormal like 'I kill that animal i wear it's skin to make me stronger'. As we wore clothing more and more often the hair that we had would have become less and less
    Paranormal thing? Hmm..I think you're speculating wildly here. Regardless you seem to only confirm the assertion that clothes aren't worn because of a shame of the body, but because of protection, or hunting advantages, or other more practical reason.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25 Re: paranormal what? 
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    fine then, we are evovled from from primates, does it make a difference? we once had lots more hair, clothing was probably started off as a trophy thing or paranormal like 'I kill that animal i wear it's skin to make me stronger'. As we wore clothing more and more often the hair that we had would have become less and less
    Paranormal thing? Hmm..I think you're speculating wildly here. Regardless you seem to only confirm the assertion that clothes aren't worn because of a shame of the body, but because of protection, or hunting advantages, or other more practical reason.
    i know i was speculating, that's why i said 'probably'. and why shouldn't i confirm that clothes were worn for fasion and not shame?
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26 Re: paranormal what? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    fine then, we are evovled from from primates, does it make a difference? we once had lots more hair, clothing was probably started off as a trophy thing or paranormal like 'I kill that animal i wear it's skin to make me stronger'. As we wore clothing more and more often the hair that we had would have become less and less
    Paranormal thing? Hmm..I think you're speculating wildly here. Regardless you seem to only confirm the assertion that clothes aren't worn because of a shame of the body, but because of protection, or hunting advantages, or other more practical reason.
    i know i was speculating, that's why i said 'probably'. and why shouldn't i confirm that clothes were worn for fasion and not shame?
    Hi,
    I merely wanted to remind you of what the original question was, regarding clothes and shame. Sometimes, in these things the topics can wander.
    Speculation can be a dangerous thing. All too often we state things that we speculate on as if they are fact, like string theory, colliding brane universes and other exotica, but thats getting off the topic.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •