Notices
Results 1 to 85 of 85
Like Tree48Likes
  • 1 Post By icewendigo
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By PhDemon
  • 1 Post By PhDemon
  • 1 Post By DianeG
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 3 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 1 Post By shlunka
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 2 Post By AlexG
  • 2 Post By DianeG
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 4 Post By Flick Montana
  • 2 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By PhDemon

Thread: are most trolls men ? if so then why ?

  1. #1 are most trolls men ? if so then why ? 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    i searched but did not find a simialr thread here.

    are most trolls men ? it seems so to me but maybe that is wrong ? a disclaimer is that i am only on STEM type forums so maybe on other forums there are many women trolls. what do you think ?

    we could dicsuss just troll behavior inn general without the gender attached


    Last edited by Chucknorium; March 31st, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    i found this: Online trolls really ARE horrible people, researchers find | Mail Online

    Online trolls have serious personality issues such as Machiavellianism, one of the biggest studies into trolling has found.
    Researchers say that online commenters display traits that are Narcissistic, psychopathic, and sadistic and the worse the problems, the longer the person spent online.
    They found the most common trait was to exhibit sadistic behaviour.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,151
    I could be wrong, but it doesnt strike me as a very serious study at a glance
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo View Post
    I could be wrong, but it doesnt strike me as a very serious study at a glance
    probably true. i was trying to open the subject up so it was more general without gender questions
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    we could dicsuss just troll behavior inn general without the gender attached

    I agree with that. We should focus on the motives and the behaviour of Internet trolls, rather than their gender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post

    The website of the Daily Mail should not be used to present findings. It is not a good source (cf. posts #14 and #16).
    umbradiago likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I agree with that. We should focus on the motives and the behaviour of Internet trolls, rather than their gender.
    i would like to know if most trolls are men though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    The website of the Daily Mail should not be used to present findings. It is not a good source [looking for link].
    yes, yes,. i was just trying to open up subject. that was first link i found. you could start by saying what you do not like about its findings or methods. or do you know different data ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I agree with that. We should focus on the motives and the behaviour of Internet trolls, rather than their gender.
    i would like to know if most trolls are men though.

    In general or on this particular forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    The website of the Daily Mail should not be used to present findings. It is not a good source [looking for link].
    yes, yes,. i was just trying to open up subject. that was first link i found. you could start by saying what you do not like about its findings or methods. or do you know different data ?

    I have not read the study, but that was not the point of my reply.
    It is better to provide a link to the actual study (or to a news site that actually specializes in reporting science), rather than the Daily Mail (cf. post #5).

    Have you read the study in question?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Have you read the study in question?
    no. but i have not claimed it is good or bad. i have claimed nothing. i have already stated it was the first link i found and was used just to open this subject up to more general discussion instead of only the restrictive gender discussion. if you think it is a bad study please let me know.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    trolling is something i do not understand. i am curious about it. for example, if the internet was not anonymous, would people still troll ? or is the anonymous characteristic of the internet the sole cause ?
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    no. but i have not claimed it is good or bad. i have claimed nothing. i have already stated it was the first link i found and was used just to open this subject up to more general discussion instead of only the restrictive gender discussion. if you think it is a bad study please let me know.

    Here is the study:
    Buckels, E.E. et al. (2014), "Trolls just want to have fun", Personality and Individual Differences.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,003
    I think pantodragon, Mayflow and LadyGaia/melissa1990 are the only female (either they have said they are female or by other less reliable indicators) trolls I've come across here. Male trolls? Too many to count...
    Last edited by PhDemon; March 31st, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    thank you. i will read it. it may take me some time though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    I think pantodragon, Mayflow and LadyGaia/melissa1990 are the only female (either they have said they are female or by other less reliable indicators) are the only trolls I've come across here. Male trolls? Too many to count...
    do you think that may be same percentage as percentage of women who particicpate on STEM forum like this ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    My reply as an official troll.

    I believe that most trolls are men because man are naturally more silly and dumb. Women are all correct and stuff. Also, women are not as interested in the internet world as men are
    while i can not prove it i assume that most trolls are also liars so there is probably no validity to your observation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Most aberrations are male. I'm one. I assume most trolls are male. But I don't Know It. My guess, 98%.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,003
    There is a larger proportion of women who post here than the proportion of trolls who are female. Most trolls are bored teenage boys (they eventually grow out of it) if they are older than this they are just tragic individuals. In my experience most women have more sense than to waste time behaving like a moron...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    In my experience trolls qua trolls tend to be male.
    The females that get accused of trolling are, generally, simply dumb.

    (There was a notable one on a different *cough* sciforum that would pop up every few months and claim at lenght that homoeopathy is scientific (but, I suspect, a good part of that was because she'd paid for an, er "education" and qualification in it and presumably didn't like the idea that she'd been suckered 1).
    I think Adelady pointed out elsewhere that female nutcases tend to stick to the "non hard-sciences": anti-vaccination, diet/ nutrition and homoeopathy etc.
    Or the execrable idiot Anita Meyer: see, for example, the comments/ discussion on the review by Alpha Geek (me!) where she displayed a phenomenal lack of, um, just about anything really, except for blind adherence to her own claims.

    1 Then again, she could have been entirely sincere. Highly deluded. But sincere.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Masters Degree DianeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    504
    When I was a kid, we used to ring people's door bells and run away. It's hilarious when you are eight.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    i think it is fair to say that the anonymity allow trolls to exist. but does anonymity create trolls ? or if the internet did not exist would these people still exist and do other bad things anonymously ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    i tried to read the study but it was too hard for me. so i am relying on the newspaper summary which also doesn't make much sense to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    so i am relying on the newspaper summary which also doesn't make much sense to me.
    "Newspaper"?
    It's the Daily Fail 1.
    Probably based on a reporter overhearing someone in a lab coat (ergo "scientist") commenting to a colleague (ergo "study" because there was more than person involved) that he found one particular trollish comment offensive.

    1 This is the "newspaper" that regularly (or did the last time I saw it - my parents used to buy it 2) had double-page centre spreads on "How Astrology Can Help Your Life".
    2 The only thing I ever found worth reading was when they had the Dilbert strip in it.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    oops

    it shows what i know
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    trolling is something i do not understand. i am curious about it. for example, if the internet was not anonymous, would people still troll ? or is the anonymous characteristic of the internet the sole cause ?
    I think the people who do the internet equivalent of ring the doorbell and run away type trolling are generally anonymous. And they're annoying rather than anything else.

    otoh, I might be one of very few here who spends a lot of time on feminist and related issues sites. You might be surprised to learn that many people who threaten to assault or rape or murder you, or attack your children or get you sacked from your job use their real identities. I'm always amazed when I see a deeply nasty or overtly threatening comment from someone and if you click on their name it goes to their facebook page. Huh?

    As for whether they mean the threats. There's no way of knowing until the dead cat turns up on your doorstep.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    There is a larger proportion of women who post here than the proportion of trolls who are female. Most trolls are bored teenage boys (they eventually grow out of it) if they are older than this they are just tragic individuals. In my experience most women have more sense than to waste time behaving like a moron...
    My experience is that they're not so much tragic as they are simply horrible people. There might be some sad or traumatic life events in their background, but no sadder or more traumatic than other people go through. They're certainly not survivors of torture or other extreme circumstances. They're more likely to have had a marriage or other relationship go wrong. Charlotte Laws' fight with Hunter Moore, the internet's revenge porn king | Culture | The Observer He's one of these. More importantly, he couldn't have got anywhere with his activities nor made all his money if lots of other people hadn't sent in photos and tracked down details of these victims.

    Which somehow or other makes them very special victims of the well-known, man-hating nastiness of every woman who's ever drawn breath, rather than making the mistake of getting involved with one horrible person or one non-workable relationship.

    At a kind of abstract level, I can see that they're pitiful in some ways. Depriving themselves of love and laughter. But their vicious online behaviour and their advocacy of and support for harassment, humiliation, rape and violence against women means that I'm willing to let others feel the sadness. I also realise that support for rape and, especially, harassment is likely to arise - for some people - from uncomfortable reflection on some of their own behaviour in the past. Rather than acknowledge it (to themselves, it doesn't have to be public) and get on with their lives with some regret but feeling that they're now a better person who's learnt a hard lesson, they'd much rather join in on driving yet another victim to suicide.
    LuciDreaming likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    My experience is that they're not so much tragic as they are simply horrible people. .
    your experience seem to echo that study i referenced in OP

    Online trolls really ARE horrible people: Researchers find they are narcissistic, machiavellian, psychopathic and sadistic
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Now comes me with his scant credentials, none actually, and I try to engage the literati in discussion, but I've confessed my low birth, self-taught education, and common-man, working-class nature and you, mainly the males, want me to go away. I note the ladies seem to tolerate and understand my comments far more so than men. I understand this reflex. Despite what some guys here want to think, you're trying to get even with me for your getting beat-up by ACTUAL bullies. I feasted on those guys. I do the same to ignorance where ever it lives and there's more here, at this site, than is readily apparent. I don't need a flame-thrower.
    .
    Wow! What an amazing pile of self indulgent crap!

    You have barely registered on my radar until this post. If I had been asked for my impression of you I would have hazarded an "average member, non-controversial, middle of the road sort of guy. Nothing to write home about; nothing to complain about."

    You appear to think you have been functioning as some sort of vigilante, fighting revengeful nerdiness (?). Fascinating! I'll take a look through your more recent posts and see if their is any evidence in support of your self perception.

    Again, wow!

    Edit: and there's more -
    Hard scientists don't care for us. They forget science fiction always precedes science fact.
    You would have a massively hard time defending this position with actual evidence, unless you were to admit to suffering from rampant hyperbole. And I say that as someone fascinated by both science and science fiction for over half a century.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Freshman HB3l1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    85
    I think it's not that easy to do a psychological profile of internet trolls, the area is way to broad and there are many factors involved. The person could easily be a sociopath, an attention seeker or simply very bored person without capacity to find better thing to do.

    But psychologists know that if we reduce our sense of our identity, process known as de-individuation, we will less likely stick to the to social norms, usually people that aren't satisfied with their personality tend to go full 'TROLL' after this process. It could be an easy pointer that they are not satisfied with their life and with themselves, but it shouldn't be taken for granted.

    At the other hand, we have trolls that are trolling just because they saw someone else trolling and wants to try it. Curiosity is a sword with two edges...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    i tried to read the study but it was too hard for me. so i am relying on the newspaper summary which also doesn't make much sense to me.

    The study by Buckels, E.E. et al. demonstrates that, after analysing the responses of two separate online surveys,
    the act of trolling is linked to having unpleasant personal characteristics, especially sadism.

    That is the study in a nutshell.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    That is the study in a nutshell.
    Would they have got similar results doing the study in a nut house?
    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    i tried to read the study but it was too hard for me. so i am relying on the newspaper summary which also doesn't make much sense to me.


    The study by Buckels, E.E. et al. demonstrates that, after analysing the responses of two separate online surveys,
    the act of trolling is linked to having unpleasant personal characteristics, especially sadism.

    That is the study in a nutshell.
    thank you. that is about same as 'newspaper' summary.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Masters Degree DianeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    504
    So is there a difference between nutcases - people obscessed with a fringe theory that has over whelming contradictory evidence, and trolls? Does a genuine troll believe the things he says, or is he just doing it to yank someones chain, or both?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,003
    The guy who posted this was a nutjob but wherevere he cut and pasted from defined trolls pretty well:

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/trash...et-trolls.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    I've always been under the impression that troll, by definition, meant chain yanking for the sake of it.
    A lack of sincerity rather than a lack of education (well, yeah, "lack of education" is sort of implicit in chain yanking for its own sake, but you know what I mean).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    The guy who posted this was a nutjob but wherevere he cut and pasted from defined trolls pretty well:
    http://www.thescienceforum.com/trash...et-trolls.html
    Tch, you should'a linked to his other thread.
    At least you and I got a name check.
    PhDemon likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeG View Post
    So is there a difference between nutcases - people obscessed with a fringe theory that has over whelming contradictory evidence, and trolls? Does a genuine troll believe the things he says, or is he just doing it to yank someones chain, or both?
    My feeling is that cranks and trolls are two separate issues. The trolls allow themselves to be driven by their worst impulses. Cranks are oblivious, self-indulgent, and dogmatic - but they're more likely to be driven by a form of narcissism I'd have thought. Narcissism is definitely excluded as a characteristic of trolls in that study. When you look at the kinds of insults and thin-skinned offence taking when cranks get upset with criticism they might use some of the less pleasant language of trolls, but it's not directed in the same way. It's much more likely to resemble a toddler or teenage tantrum rather than a purposeful needling to get under people's nails.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    My feeling is that cranks and trolls are two separate issues.
    using this i think there are very few trolls showing on this forum. mostly cranks. is this your experience ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    My feeling is that cranks and trolls are two separate issues. The trolls allow themselves to be driven by their worst impulses. Cranks are oblivious, self-indulgent, and dogmatic - but they're more likely to be driven by a form of narcissism I'd have thought. Narcissism is definitely excluded as a characteristic of trolls in that study. When you look at the kinds of insults and thin-skinned offence taking when cranks get upset with criticism they might use some of the less pleasant language of trolls, but it's not directed in the same way. It's much more likely to resemble a toddler or teenage tantrum rather than a purposeful needling to get under people's nails.

    I agree with what you have written.
    I would like to add that a crank mainly focuses on one subject (denial of BBT, SR, etc.), whilst a troll is versatile when it comes to subjects.
    In other words, a troll (apparently) experiences delight due to his/her disruption, regardless of the subject, forum and audience.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    @ Chuck: yep trolls per se tend be much less evident than cranks here.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    @ Chuck: yep trolls per se tend be much less evident than cranks here.
    you phdemon and the others that defend science against cranks have my respect.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Thanks.
    I do try to keep them down.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    so cranks must be addressed differently than trolls. trolls are better just ignored but cranks are spreading scientific-type lies and their lies must be addressed with facts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    I'd say yes.
    But, generally, I have trouble recognising trolls as trolls. Maybe it's my mind-set but I take statements at face value and have problems recognising deliberate dishonesty for its own sake.

    And, of course, you can't "fix" a crank: they simply don't listen. All you can do is highlight their stupidity for others to see.
    Newbies can get sucked by specious seemingly valid ideas (especially if they're surrounded by lots of waffling technobabble).
    Someone else said: it's a sort of public service.
    shlunka and umbradiago like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Someone else said: it's a sort of public service.
    that is how i would describe also. thank you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    for cranks, i do not think that real scientists put their theories on forums. they write papers and then try to get published in good science magazines. they also use real names. not names like 'deep thoughts'.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Despite me having "Genius Duck" as my snotwuh (and I have pointed out elsewhere that it's a joke 1) I'm always suspicious of users whose user name alludes to intellect, especially high intellect.
    I have, invariably, so far found such people to be cranks who vastly overestimate their own capabilities and (even if only unconsciously) intend that name to allude to some sort of lofty unquestionability.

    1 So far no duck in the world has beaten me at chess or maths.
    stonecutter and umbradiago like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    i see many times that some cranks think that the criticsim agains them is the same as those that criticized Einstein. they think they are in same position as Einstein was. very far from real truth.
    stonecutter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    i see many times that some cranks think that the criticsim agains them is the same as those that criticized Einstein. they think they are in same position as Einstein was. very far from real truth.

    A tactic known as the Einstein Gambit, although Galileo and Tesla are also frequently used.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    i see many times that some cranks think that the criticsim agains them is the same as those that criticized Einstein. they think they are in same position as Einstein was. very far from real truth.

    A tactic known as the Einstein Gambit, although Galileo and Tesla are also frequently used.
    thank you for that.

    i learned this word last week ---- hubris i think it fits those type of cranks. although many famous scientists have this trait but it is earned i think.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    A tactic known as the Einstein Gambit, although Galileo and Tesla are also frequently used.
    Yeah, they conveniently forget that Tesla was, in later life at least, somewhat less than rational and had had for a good part of his career an annoying tendency to over-inflate his claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    although many famous scientists have this trait but it is earned i think.
    Earned is one thing.
    A demonstrated track record justifies (in my mind at least) some smidgeon of hubris: after all, why show humility if there's nothing to be humile about?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Most are men. But some females are required for procreation.
    DianeG likes this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Yes, I do know what you mean. But, 'education' is vaguely defined, by you. Not defined at all, in fact. What type of education do you refer to ? Is it strictly Academic ?
    Since we're on a science site I meant, this particular instance, an education in whatever subject is being expounded upon.
    I.e. a troll may well know the subject - as opposed to a crank 1, but they're not applying it sincerely.
    Where a troll IS lacking in "education" is how to conduct himself in an acceptable manner.

    Though you had little regard for "impression" ? Not as much as you previously stated.
    Don't understand this bit.

    1 Who, almost invariably, doesn't have an (adequate to the task) education in, or (sufficient) knowledge of, the subject (and, quite often, is inordinately - and inexplicably - proud of that fact).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I understood certain elements of Relativity before ever reading anything, hardly, about Einstein; one, that Time is relevant, not universal.
    Um, okay.
    How did you understand this?
    Are you perhaps talking about personal perceptions of time? E.g. your day dragged while a friend thought it gone too quickly?

    Science is not PERSONAL, nor is it the sole possession of "nerds".
    Has that been claimed to be so?

    Attempts to categorize me, umbradiago, have been wildly off-target. I don't know trolls or cranks, nor am I either.
    Uh, yeah. Where exactly were these attempts?
    John Galt likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    In the area of Human Behavior, my view is as valid as anyone's.
    Valid? Okay. Valued? Not likely.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    A quick google of 'internet troll gender', while not answering the question, did refer to trolls as young males, in articles written exclusively by young women.
    dan hunter and umbradiago like this.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Masters Degree DianeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    504
    How could discussion in a thread about trolls go so horribly wrong?
    dan hunter and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I know Lamarck got evolution wrong. So, too, did Darwin's grandfather, who made an attempt. And so did I in guessing about Time; but I was somewhere in the neighborhood .
    No, you weren't.
    But you claimed previously that you were more than "in the neighbourhood".

    But lack imagination
    Oh dear...

    which is not science, it's speculation.
    Right, because, as everyone knows, scientists would NEVER say "Hey, what if...".
    Hell, if we ever did I could imagine - oh sorry, not imagine, because I can't, but... you know - some guy, let's call him Einstein, saying "What if I could travel as a photon? How would the universe appear?"
    Or another guy, let's call him Feynman, saying "If I were an electron how would I behave under these conditions?".
    Crazy.
    I'm just glad scientists don't give in to such idle speculation, otherwise where would we be?
    Flick Montana and PhDemon like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeG View Post
    How could discussion in a thread about trolls go so horribly wrong?
    It sure has taken a nasty turn.
    I think it started with Umbradiago misinterepring a comment about the pet troll Kazooie in another thread and taking personal offence about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeG View Post
    How could discussion in a thread about trolls go so horribly wrong?
    i am not sure. but it started in posts numbering 26, 27 and went real bad at posting number 32. i did not understand those posts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeG View Post
    How could discussion in a thread about trolls go so horribly wrong?
    It sure has taken a nasty turn.
    I think it started with Umbradiago misinterepring a comment about the pet troll Kazooie in another thread and taking personal offence about it.
    yes. he now seems to be angry with everyone now. i wish he would calm down.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    so cranks must be addressed differently than trolls. trolls are better just ignored
    This is a bit of an urban myth.

    Any one of us "ignoring" a troll can't possibly work in the classic "extinction" of undesired behaviour manner because

    a) we can't control the environment, so all but one of the group ignoring is completely negated by just one acknowledgement,

    b) we have no way of knowing that "they're only seeking attention" applies in the first place, and

    c) even if they are seeking attention it might be from their friends admiring their antics or any other of a dozen ways not related to the people on the forum/site/blog at all.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    yes. that is true. it is almost impossible to get everyone to ignore a troll that is not obvious a troll
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    a question for forum mods and admins about trolls. i see that a troll called yellow koosie comes here 9 times and is baned 9 times. can you ban his ipaddr ? or is his ipaddr changing or at a university where others might want to access this forum ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I 'liked' this, but I disagree. Explain the SCIENCE of Psychology ?
    See any works by Jung or Freud or Pavlov. They are not just musings and speculations. Modern psychology can even be tied into neuroscience in quantitative ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Or of Theology ?
    See any examples of historical research or, again, psychology and human behaviorism.

    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Take some core samples of those and get back to me.
    Sad attempt at a personal attack? Or are you just frustrated that I work in a science which demands something physical in order to make sound conclusions? Or is it just that REAL science often pokes holes in the strange musings of some of the pseudotypical ideas cranks like to post?

    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I appreciate and understand Scientific Method as well as anyone.
    Good. You should work harder at demonstrating that.

    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    What you dismiss is what you're missing. Imagination.[
    Assumption. For years, I made my living as a 3D modeler in the gaming industry, after which I moved into writing for a few more years. It was only when I was dissatisfied with the way the natural world was being treated and my eyes opened to our possible future that I moved into something more meaningful to me.

    Being high and thinking you see unicorns is NOT being imaginative.
    Last edited by Flick Montana; April 2nd, 2014 at 11:57 AM.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I'll try to find another approach. Explain Humor. Why are humans the only species with some ?
    Humans aren't the only species with a sense of humor, it's quite strong in some other primates as well. (both chimp species spend even more time in laugher than most humans).

    And to link it to the thread, one of the reasons there are trolls is because it's quite funny to them to trick people, sort of like a practical joke, or something finding humor in the unfortunately circumstance of others. "Your tears are delicious," being one of the more common expressions we see in social games as a form of trolling for example.
    dan hunter and umbradiago like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    the trolls that come here seem to be harmless. the cranks are a bit less harmless because they try to spread their anti-science or dumb-science. but the worst are comments i read on sites like cbsnews.com are very disturbing. hateful and racist comments done with anononymity. scary sometimes too.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Nice hair-splitting. But, did you comprehend my point ? Science begins with speculation. It finds it's end when arrogance shows-up. Go pluck yourself, Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I know Lamarck got evolution wrong. So, too, did Darwin's grandfather, who made an attempt. And so did I in guessing about Time; but I was somewhere in the neighborhood .
    No, you weren't.
    But you claimed previously that you were more than "in the neighbourhood".

    But lack imagination
    Oh dear...

    which is not science, it's speculation.
    Right, because, as everyone knows, scientists would NEVER say "Hey, what if...".
    Hell, if we ever did I could imagine - oh sorry, not imagine, because I can't, but... you know - some guy, let's call him Einstein, saying "What if I could travel as a photon? How would the universe appear?"
    Or another guy, let's call him Feynman, saying "If I were an electron how would I behave under these conditions?".
    Crazy.
    I'm just glad scientists don't give in to such idle speculation, otherwise where would we be?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Interesting. Only primates, though. I'd like to know of a study on primate humor. My point, I believe, remains valid: That humor has a biological, evolutionary expedient. And i'm not joking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I'll try to find another approach. Explain Humor. Why are humans the only species with some ?
    Humans aren't the only species with a sense of humor, it's quite strong in some other primates as well. (both chimp species spend even more time in laugher than most humans).

    And to link it to the thread, one of the reasons there are trolls is because it's quite funny to them to trick people, sort of like a practical joke, or something finding humor in the unfortunately circumstance of others. "Your tears are delicious," being one of the more common expressions we see in social games as a form of trolling for example.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Science begins with speculation.
    Rational speculation.

    No science ever began with, "I wonder if unicorns can..."
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Fine, Flick. You make some good observations. Why does a computer help in the application of your science ? Does it 'aid the imagination' ? Yes ? Try that plus marijuana; see what you come up with.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Niggling. What if Bigfoot is real ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Science begins with speculation.
    Rational speculation.

    No science ever began with, "I wonder if unicorns can..."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Rational speculation.

    No science ever began with, "I wonder if unicorns can..."
    yes. it is one thing for someone like Hubble who would speculate beyond the current knowledge. it is a nother thing for cranks to speculate without having any current knowledge.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    My 'attacks' are seldom personal. You'll know when they are.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    umbradiago kindly stop derailing the thread. Thank You.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    The trouble with Scientists is their tendency toward ownership of it. They don't.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Nice hair-splitting.
    Whut?

    But, did you comprehend my point ?
    Well, since you now seem to be contradicting what I thought your point was...

    Science begins with speculation.
    Can you tell me how that firs in with your claim that:
    You guys ... lack imagination
    It finds it's end when arrogance shows-up.
    Yeah?
    Show this "arrogance" please.
    Do you mean the sort of "arrogance" where someone claims to have an "intuitive understanding" of, say, relativity from a young age when they don't even now, apparently, have the first clue what relativity actually says?
    That sort?
    umbradiago likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,003
    @umdradiago personally a computer helps my research applications by doing calculations in seconds that it would take weeks to do by hand, and can control and log voltages better than I can, what does this have to do with imagination or pot?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Fine, Flick. You make some good observations. Why does a computer help in the application of your science ? Does it 'aid the imagination' ? Yes ? Try that plus marijuana; see what you come up with.
    I'm not entire sure what that means. What I do know is that if I showed up to work to use my computer while high, I'd probably be fired. That having been said, I have never (nor will I ever) subjected myself to marijuana. My rationale for this is the same as my rationale for not drinking alcohol, popping pills, smoking, etc. I don't feel that any of these actions will fill any void in my life. I don't feel like I need them and I certainly don't want them.

    I might be a little bit of an adrenaline junkie, though. Guess we all have our favorite chemical.

    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Niggling. What if Bigfoot is real ?
    If any REAL science has come from speculation regarding Bigfoot, Nessy, or Ghosts (they all fall into the same category for me), I'd have to see it to believe it. Sure, you can APPLY science to these things, but I don't think it's progressed any scientific field substantially. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Sorry. I beg your pardon. I didn't realize a serious discussion on trolls was in progress. Let me know when you get to fairies, or shadows. I'll just tip-toe out...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Your job, Duck.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Your job, Duck.
    Whut?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Umbradiago, you are gone for a week for trolling and derailing what could have been a good science discussion.

    I've also removed many of the post into trash...sorry to others who's contributions might have been moved as well (mostly responses to unbra)...they are now in trash thread called "umbratrash."
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    And to link it to the thread, one of the reasons there are trolls is because it's quite funny to them to trick people, sort of like a practical joke, or something finding humor in the unfortunately circumstance of others. "Your tears are delicious," being one of the more common expressions we see in social games as a form of trolling for example.
    this seems to be yellow koozie type of troll that comes here. irritating to some members but basically harmless. it is more of a game for him.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    And to link it to the thread, one of the reasons there are trolls is because it's quite funny to them to trick people, sort of like a practical joke, or something finding humor in the unfortunately circumstance of others. "Your tears are delicious," being one of the more common expressions we see in social games as a form of trolling for example.
    this seems to be yellow koozie type of troll that comes here. irritating to some members but basically harmless. it is more of a game for him.
    I strongly suspect he's also schniebster
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I strongly suspect he's also schniebster
    I'd be surprised. I see their style and their content as being very different. (Although the effect on any given individual might be much the same.)
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. chat trolls
    By seagypsy in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 28th, 2013, 02:44 PM
  2. Science trolls
    By nano in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: July 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM
  3. Battle of Trolls
    By CoolEJ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •