Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 158 of 158
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Am I depressed or just sad?

  1. #101  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    The effects on the body from music and pot differ substantially, so your question is unanswerable.
    What is unhealthy about pot?
    Seriously?
    Yes, tell me please.
    So, you don't understand the effect marijuana has on your body, but you use it anyways?

    Look, it's fine if you want to take drugs (so long as it's legal in your area), but you should at least understand WHAT you're doing to your body.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    to answer the original question, depression causes the following symptons: weight loss, poor sleep, anhedonia, suicidality. If you are sad and have some of those symptoms see a psych professional.

    On the question of what harm pot does: It causes loss of mental acuity. The loss extends beyond the time when the user is "high" and affects his ablity to handel precis thinking problems , like math, even when he thinks he is straight. This was demonstrated by a group of nurses who used pot and had to stop because they found themselves not to be able to calculate dosages correctly.

    This was not a formal study, you can't look it up, I just happen to know the people involved.
    Using a computer can also hurt your eyes. Some people even need aids to see properly if they read or use a computer too much.

    I have a friend who smokes so much, he can barely even get high anymore, and he's okay at math.

    These nurses must have been smoking allot, if they can't do math when they are not high. Math is a little harder when I'm high, not much difference though.

    But the only health risk is, not being able to problem solve as well as you used to, that doesn't mean it's really unhealthy. Your ears will be better if you never listen to music. Does that mean I should stop listening?

    Long-term effects of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    If you read this, there isn't much saying that pot is a horrible drug. From what I read, the positives out weigh the negatives.

    Also, alcohol is much worse than pot. So never drink? I never drank before, but I'm sure many people here have, and they continue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    These nurses must have been smoking allot, if they can't do math when they are not high.
    I don't think they were "not high". They were either still having direct effects - just as some people still fail a breathalyser after a good night's sleep after drinking the night before. More likely, they're suffering a symptomless equivalent of an alcohol hangover.

    Just as many people can be a bit less coordinated, a bit fatigued or a bit short-tempered after they've got over the direct effects of alcohol intoxication, so people who've got high during an evening may be unable to judge when their mental function or attention to detail or speed of thinking has - or hasn't - got back to normal a few hours and a good night's sleep later. They might or might not have measurable amounts of the chemical in their blood, but it doesn't necessarily follow that there are no residual effects in the brain or other neurological functions.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Look, if you want to take a substance which alters the chemical process in your brain to cope with an apparent psychological condition and you can't figure out WHY that might not be the best choice, I can't help you. If you're going to continue to ignore or rebuke our advice to see a trained professional, I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is going forward.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Look, if you want to take a substance which alters the chemical process in your brain to cope with an apparent psychological condition and you can't figure out WHY that might not be the best choice, I can't help you. If you're going to continue to ignore or rebuke our advice to see a trained professional, I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is going forward.
    It's not a solution, I just happened to stop cutting myself after I smoked.
    I am not doing it to deal with anything except boredom.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    The effects on the body from music and pot differ substantially, so your question is unanswerable.
    What is unhealthy about pot?
    Seriously?
    Yes, tell me please.
    So, you don't understand the effect marijuana has on your body, but you use it anyways?

    Look, it's fine if you want to take drugs (so long as it's legal in your area), but you should at least understand WHAT you're doing to your body.
    I do understand. Long-term effects of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Not much that says something bad can really happen to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    I am not doing it to deal with anything except boredom.
    We find ourselves on a small planet in the midst of a vast universe whose underlying mechanisms we are gradually coming to understand. The family of planets and satellites within the solar system is gradually yielding its secrets to our investigations, while new techniques have discovered over one thousand exo-planets. On and within our own planet there is a complex interplay of processes, shaping its climate and weather, geology and geography.

    Moreover, the planet contains a remarkable biosphere that has evolved over the course of three and a half billion years. The astounding solutions life has found within this biosphere include the evolution of an intelligent species able to contemplate the nature of the entire universe. This species, through the use of language, has created the powerful new force of culture. This has enabled global expansion of the species, the emergence of science and technology, and the development of the fine arts.

    As a consequence one can access the results of the research of tens of thousands, view great paintings, read literature produced by geniuses, travel the world, in thought and reality, attend sporting events, listen to a mind-blowing range of music, gain an education undreamt of a millenia ago, acquire skils, learn a trade, enter a profession......

    I have one question for you: how do you manage, in the midst of all this, to be bored?
    KALSTER, astromark, babe and 2 others like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,443
    Boredom takes a lot of work.


    Learning really doesn't....it just takes desire.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    As a consequence one can access the results of the research of tens of thousands, view great paintings, read literature produced by geniuses, travel the world, in thought and reality, attend sporting events, listen to a mind-blowing range of music, gain an education undreamt of a millenia ago, acquire skils, learn a trade, enter a profession......
    I understand your sentiments, but having done all these things, then how come I'm still bored?
    I think our actions our determined by trying to find a way around boredom and loneliness.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Perhaps you want to be entertained, rather than entranced. We make our own entertainment. I suggest you may not be trying hard enough.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Perhaps you want to be entertained, rather than entranced. We make our own entertainment. I suggest you may not be trying hard enough.
    I don't like to be entertained. I never go to the movies, I hate TV and would rather read a book while at the same time listening to classical music. But that is for the evenings. I love walking more than anything else in life while communing with myself. I try to walk 2000 miles a year, partly because I like the outdoors and partly because I am a cancer patient. But life IS boring overall. How many times have I heard other people say this, no matter what occupation. The problem arises I think because as a species we have been driven indoors too much. If primitive man were to magically reappear today I think he would be baffled as to why nearly everyone is inside a building or a vehicle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,443
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Perhaps you want to be entertained, rather than entranced. We make our own entertainment. I suggest you may not be trying hard enough.
    I don't like to be entertained. I never go to the movies, I hate TV and would rather read a book while at the same time listening to classical music. But that is for the evenings. I love walking more than anything else in life while communing with myself. I try to walk 2000 miles a year, partly because I like the outdoors and partly because I am a cancer patient. But life IS boring overall. How many times have I heard other people say this, no matter what occupation. The problem arises I think because as a species we have been driven indoors too much. If primitive man were to magically reappear today I think he would be baffled as to why nearly everyone is inside a building or a vehicle.

    My heart goes out to you for being a cancer patient......but also goes out for in spite of it, keeping fit.

    I lost my nephew June 21, 2013 from pancreatic cancer....and he made it a year...and the first few months he was biking about 10 miles 3 times a week.

    Keep fighting....his was an inevitable conclusion

    I hope yours is not...

    His loss is very painful for me....moreso for his mom and dad...I just remember the little 18 month old spending the weekend with Auntie M....and kicking me in the head in his sleep
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    So, I'm not really sure what you need to know, so ask what you need to. Only thing I can think of right now, is sometimes I get random bursts of sadness, and for no reason, or I forget the reason soon after.

    I used to self harm all the time. I had an extremely low self-esteem during my teenage years.

    If you feel it is life threatening, please get some help. It can be lonely some times, but when you do egress from the end of tunnel, this too shall pass, as they say.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    The effects on the body from music and pot differ substantially, so your question is unanswerable.
    What is unhealthy about pot?
    Seriously?
    Yes, tell me please.
    So, you don't understand the effect marijuana has on your body, but you use it anyways?

    Look, it's fine if you want to take drugs (so long as it's legal in your area), but you should at least understand WHAT you're doing to your body.
    I do understand. Long-term effects of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Not much that says something bad can really happen to me.
    Marijuana affects the chemical processes taking place in your brain. If you cannot figure out why that might be detrimental to someone with an apparent psychological issue then, like I said before, I can't help you.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    I am not doing it to deal with anything except boredom.
    We find ourselves on a small planet in the midst of a vast universe whose underlying mechanisms we are gradually coming to understand. The family of planets and satellites within the solar system is gradually yielding its secrets to our investigations, while new techniques have discovered over one thousand exo-planets. On and within our own planet there is a complex interplay of processes, shaping its climate and weather, geology and geography.

    (...)

    I have one question for you: how do you manage, in the midst of all this, to be bored?

    This answer should be read in Carl Sagan's voice.
    pineapples and babe like this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    The effects on the body from music and pot differ substantially, so your question is unanswerable.
    What is unhealthy about pot?
    Seriously?
    Yes, tell me please.
    I am right next to you Waterman, I want to know both sides, What is healthy and unhealthy about pot? You have so many people giving their expert advice with no experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I am right next to you Waterman, I want to know both sides, What is healthy and unhealthy about pot? You have so many people giving their expert advice with no experience.
    This has been answered numerous times in this thread alone.

    It ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN.

    If you have a preexisting psychological issue (especially if it is depression) then taking a psychoactive should send up some pretty obvious red flags.

    I cannot understand why this is so difficult to grasp....
    John Galt likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #118  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,041
    Not all teenagers are this childish.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #119  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I am right next to you Waterman, I want to know both sides, What is healthy and unhealthy about pot? You have so many people giving their expert advice with no experience.
    This has been answered numerous times in this thread alone.

    It ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN.

    If you have a preexisting psychological issue (especially if it is depression) then taking a psychoactive should send up some pretty obvious red flags.

    I cannot understand why this is so difficult to grasp....
    Having fun also alters the chemical process in your brain. Eating food does too.

    What's the problem?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #120  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Having fun also alters the chemical process in your brain. Eating food does too.

    What's the problem?
    Nothing. You're fine. Have fun.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #121  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Having fun also alters the chemical process in your brain. Eating food does too.

    What's the problem?
    Nothing. You're fine. Have fun.
    *Tilts head and smiles at Sir Flick Montana*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #122  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Me: "Running yourself over with a tractor can cause injury. You shouldn't do it."
    Weterman: "Walking can cause injury, too. What's the problem?"

    I quit.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #123  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,041
    Not to mention it would be really difficult to run over yourself with a tractor. When I was 14 I got run over by a self propelled combine, but I wasn't driving it at the time. It wasn't meant to hurt me or run over me, it was actually meant as a nice gesture, but I was underneath checking the engine oil at the time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #124  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Me: "Running yourself over with a tractor can cause injury. You shouldn't do it."
    Weterman: "Walking can cause injury, too. What's the problem?"

    I quit.

    Running yourself over with a tractor, and walking, have a large difference of risk.

    Running yourself over with a tractor can kill you. Walking can too, but it isn't likely.


    Weed won't kill you, unless you do something dangerous while high. You would pass out before you overdose on it.

    Food can kill you. You eat too much, you literally, won't be able to get out of bed. You'll need people to feed you.

    Comparing weed, to running yourself over with a tractor isn't going to show that weed is bad.




    You say that weed "ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN."

    Why is that a bad thing? If someone was suicidal, and they weed, that "ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN.",
    and then they don't want to kill themselves, would it still be a bad thing?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #125  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Me: "Running yourself over with a tractor can cause injury. You shouldn't do it."
    Weterman: "Walking can cause injury, too. What's the problem?"

    I quit.

    Running yourself over with a tractor, and walking, have a large difference of risk.

    Running yourself over with a tractor can kill you. Walking can too, but it isn't likely.


    Weed won't kill you, unless you do something dangerous while high. You would pass out before you overdose on it.

    Food can kill you. You eat too much, you literally, won't be able to get out of bed. You'll need people to feed you.

    Comparing weed, to running yourself over with a tractor isn't going to show that weed is bad.




    You say that weed "ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN."

    Why is that a bad thing? If someone was suicidal, and they weed, that "ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN.",
    and then they don't want to kill themselves, would it still be a bad thing?
    I think the thread is making a turn, right to marijuana, left to Waterman. It took a turn in terms of Flick sounding as if he had experience of using marijuana and trying to council Waterman. I on my part wanted to know from waterman himself what he knew about the positive and negative affects from the herb.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #126  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Why is that a bad thing? If someone was suicidal, and they weed, that "ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN.",
    and then they don't want to kill themselves, would it still be a bad thing?
    True! And given that cutting your hands off might stop you from killing yourself, can you really say that cutting your hands off is a bad thing?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #127  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Maybe Weterman's parents gave him the belief his purpose in life is to feel good, be happy. Or maybe our meaningless Canadian society did that. Maybe he'll find a psychiatrist to help, feel good.

    I expect better from Christians.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #128  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I think the thread is making a turn, right to marijuana, left to Waterman. It took a turn in terms of Flick sounding as if he had experience of using marijuana and trying to council Waterman. I on my part wanted to know from waterman himself what he knew about the positive and negative affects from the herb.
    One doesn't need to use pot to understand the effects.

    If I remember correctly, you think it's a food group at the bottom of the pyramid so I don't expect to convince you of that.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #129  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Why is that a bad thing? If someone was suicidal, and they weed, that "ALTERS THE CHEMICAL PROCESS IN YOUR BRAIN.",
    and then they don't want to kill themselves, would it still be a bad thing?
    True! And given that cutting your hands off might stop you from killing yourself, can you really say that cutting your hands off is a bad thing?
    Cutting off hands is different than smoking pot. So far, no one said any bad effects of pot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #130  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I think the thread is making a turn, right to marijuana, left to Waterman. It took a turn in terms of Flick sounding as if he had experience of using marijuana and trying to council Waterman. I on my part wanted to know from waterman himself what he knew about the positive and negative affects from the herb.
    One doesn't need to use pot to understand the effects.

    If I remember correctly, you think it's a food group at the bottom of the pyramid so I don't expect to convince you of that.
    I thought if you don't have proof of something, it isn't real.

    You have no proof, or even evidence that pot is unhealthy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #131  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cutting off hands is different than smoking pot.
    Excellent! Yes, you are correct. Cutting off hands is different than smoking pot. So is having fun, even though you compared them. So is eating food, even though you compared them. If you now understand that those things are really not all that similar, that's progress.

    So far, no one said any bad effects of pot.
    You did: "not being able to problem solve as well as you used to." Some others from the same article you posted:

    increased risk of developing depression, with heavy user having a higher risk
    a weak (indirect) association appears to exist between suicidal behaviour and cannabis consumption in both psychotic and non-psychotic users
    use in adolescence or earlier increases the risk of developing schizoaffective disorders in adult life
    long term cannabis use "increases the risk of psychosis in people with certain genetic or environmental vulnerabilities"
    negative changes in attention, psychomotor task ability, and short-term memory are associated with very recent (12 to 24 hours) marijuana use
    bladder cancer does seem to be linked to habitual marijuana use
    may be a risk for cancers of the head and neck among long-term (more than 20 years) users
    inhaled marijuana is associated with lung disease
    risk of developing lung cancer is nearly 20 times higher from smoking typical cannabis cigarettes than from smoking tobacco cigarettes

    Let me know if you want any more.
    Last edited by billvon; April 28th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #132  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Some one seems to have some facts wrong, after some light reading

    It has been hard to study whether there is a link between marijuana and lung cancer because it is not easy to gather information about the use of illegal drugs. Also, many marijuana smokers also smoke cigarettes. This can make it hard to know how much of the risk is from tobacco and how much might be from marijuana. In the limited studies done so far, marijuana use has not been strongly linked to lung cancer, but more research in this area is needed.



    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcancer-non-smallcell/detailedguide/non-small-cell-lung-cancer-risk-factors
    Weterman likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #133  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    It's also been linked with many health benefits as well. It's easy to pick on studies which say it ''can do this'' and ''can do that''... well most drugs you get on prescription can have many side effects as well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #134  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cutting off hands is different than smoking pot.
    Excellent! Yes, you are correct. Cutting off hands is different than smoking pot. So is having fun, even though you compared them. So is eating food, even though you compared them. If you now understand that those things are really not all that similar, that's progress.

    So far, no one said any bad effects of pot.
    You did: "not being able to problem solve as well as you used to." Some others from the same article you posted:

    increased risk of developing depression, with heavy user having a higher risk
    a weak (indirect) association appears to exist between suicidal behaviour and cannabis consumption in both psychotic and non-psychotic users
    use in adolescence or earlier increases the risk of developing schizoaffective disorders in adult life
    long term cannabis use "increases the risk of psychosis in people with certain genetic or environmental vulnerabilities"
    negative changes in attention, psychomotor task ability, and short-term memory are associated with very recent (12 to 24 hours) marijuana use
    bladder cancer does seem to be linked to habitual marijuana use
    may be a risk for cancers of the head and neck among long-term (more than 20 years) users
    inhaled marijuana is associated with lung disease
    risk of developing lung cancer is nearly 20 times higher from smoking typical cannabis cigarettes than from smoking tobacco cigarettes

    Let me know if you want any more.
    And your evidence? Or did you make that up?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #135  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Also, look at this: List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And compare that, to the fact that there is nothing that shows deaths from weed.


    So by your logic, it would be better to smoke, than drive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #136  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Also, look at this: List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And compare that, to the fact that there is nothing that shows deaths from weed.


    So by your logic, it would be better to smoke, than drive.
    Waterman, can I ask you, are you saying you derive benefit for using marijuana? or are you just defending it from data?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #137  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Driving is different than smoking pot.
    So by your logic, it would be better to smoke, than drive.
    Oooh, this is a fun game! Let me try using this logic:
    Nothing shows that you will die from cutting off both your hands. Never has someone cut off both hands and then died from it. In fact, only about 2000 people die every year after traumatic amputations of ANY kind. Compare that to 34,000 people who die due to motor vehicle accidents every year. Clearly, it is better to cut off one hand than drive - and even better to cut off both, because you are guaranteed to survive statistically.
    And your evidence? Or did you make that up?
    Nope. I used exactly the same source you used.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #138  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,443
    I know people who smoke pot and never touched a cigarette.

    Worked with an actor in his 60's who was a major pot smoker for many years..and made him run Lines befor EVERY performance cause it does cause some memory loss.

    I don't care who does or does not smoke it.

    I do care when a person is a total pothead. No discipline in it equals no discipline in general.

    It should be legal.
    astromark and Stargate like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #139  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    ~ Well, I will not pull my language,. Yes possession is your business not mine. It should not be a crime to posses, or use.
    but endanger me or others, risks considered.. and face a prosecution. That's a well reasoned view., and mine. It bothers me that some want to control what others do in private. It only becomes my business when my safety is at issue. Governments and their agencies have better things to do.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #140  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    ~ In a discussion such as this.. ( my understanding ) The issues get clouded by miss information.
    Alcohol drunken without proper caution and responsibility will kill you. As would driving with recluse disregard.
    Many of the drugs that report to be legal high's are being withdrawn as testing reveals long term brain injury.
    That some drug users have personal issues that render them as short of the full package will only think things improve
    with drug use.. All sorts of issues of the weakened user's ability to have a normal life are a reality. As a relaxant and recreational drug good cannabis is a healthy option.. as in moderation alcohol can be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #141  
    Forum Sophomore Hymenophyllum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    170
    Boundary between sadness and depression is very thin, you can't say anything before consultation with specialist.
    Last edited by Hymenophyllum; April 29th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
    astromark and babe like this.
    I can't speak english.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #142  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymenophyllum View Post
    Boundary between sadness and depretion is very thin, you can't say anything before consultation with specialist.
    ~ As this is the subject of the thread ( Your English is fine ). and you are right. So a over view of drug use changes. Only people of strong interdependent free will should indulge in drug use. Mentally unstable minds are not equipped to experiment.., and should not.
    People with issues of self worth or confidence must not dabble with mind altering drugs.. depression is a serious mental condition that requires professionals.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #143  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymenophyllum View Post
    Boundary between sadness and depretion is very thin, you can't say anything before consultation with specialist.
    Your English is excellent!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #144  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    359
    Weterman,

    As with your cutting phase (Which you’ve moved on from, and stopped?), you seem to have turned towards looking for approval that smoking weed is now ok? I couldn’t care less if an adult smoked weed. But what’s concerning is that you’re not an adult yet. Probably only 16, or 17 at most, going from the attitude?

    Only you will know what impact smoking weed has on your school education, motivation and study for finale exams. How is that going?
    John Galt, babe and Stargate like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #145  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Alcohol drunken without proper caution and responsibility will kill you. As would driving with recluse disregard.
    I have always had the highest regard for the recluses that I know. Even those who are complete strangers I would never drive over. At any rate, since they are recluses, they are rarely seen on public highways.
    astromark likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #146  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,443
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Alcohol drunken without proper caution and responsibility will kill you. As would driving with recluse disregard.
    I have always had the highest regard for the recluses that I know. Even those who are complete strangers I would never drive over. At any rate, since they are recluses, they are rarely seen on public highways.
    snicker.....soooooooo they recluse off public highways? *chuckle*

    sorry...couldn't resist!
    ie...under bridges....etc
    astromark likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #147  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cutting off hands is different than smoking pot. So far, no one said any bad effects of pot.
    I'm not saying, "Pot is bad" or "Pot kills". I'm simply saying that for someone who appears to have some kind of psychological issue (evidenced from your admission of self-mutilation), it is probably not a good idea to take a psychoactive without a professional diagnosis of your mental health.

    My point having been cleared up. I no longer care what you do to yourself. You've managed, through stubborn ignorance and refusal to accept any information you don't want to hear, to completely drain me of any compassion. I'm out.

    Last edited by Flick Montana; April 29th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #148  
    Forum Sophomore Hymenophyllum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymenophyllum View Post
    Boundary between sadness and depretion is very thin, you can't say anything before consultation with specialist.
    Your English is excellent!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymenophyllum View Post
    Boundary between sadness and depretion is very thin, you can't say anything before consultation with specialist.
    ~ As this is the subject of the thread ( Your English is fine ). and you are right. So a over view of drug use changes. Only people of strong interdependent free will should indulge in drug use. Mentally unstable minds are not equipped to experiment.., and should not.
    People with issues of self worth or confidence must not dabble with mind altering drugs.. depression is a serious mental condition that requires professionals.
    Just check my signature and you will be given all informations.
    I can't speak english.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #149  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Driving is different than smoking pot.
    So by your logic, it would be better to smoke, than drive.
    Oooh, this is a fun game! Let me try using this logic:
    Nothing shows that you will die from cutting off both your hands. Never has someone cut off both hands and then died from it. In fact, only about 2000 people die every year after traumatic amputations of ANY kind. Compare that to 34,000 people who die due to motor vehicle accidents every year. Clearly, it is better to cut off one hand than drive - and even better to cut off both, because you are guaranteed to survive statistically.
    And your evidence? Or did you make that up?
    Nope. I used exactly the same source you used.

    Cutting off your hands has no benifit, so you don't do it. Smoking pot does something good for you. It makes you feel good.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #150  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    House MD, episode Two Stories. That is the best thing to watch in moment of sadness. That episode has me laughing every time.

    "Isn't that sexual harassment?"
    "Not if you're good looking."
    "Didn't you say one was short and had a big nose?"
    "Not the only thing that was big."

    LAUGHING MY FUCKING ASS OFF! (Am I allowed to curse?)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #151  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cutting off your hands has no benifit
    It keeps you from killing yourself! That's not a benefit? And it's a FACT that no one has cut both of their hands off have died. It's a FACT that tens of thousands of people die driving. Thus by your logic it makes a lot more sense to cut off both your hands than drive.

    Smoking pot does something good for you. It makes you feel good.
    So does cocaine! That must be good for you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #152  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cutting off your hands has no benifit
    It keeps you from killing yourself! That's not a benefit? And it's a FACT that no one has cut both of their hands off have died. It's a FACT that tens of thousands of people die driving. Thus by your logic it makes a lot more sense to cut off both your hands than drive.

    Smoking pot does something good for you. It makes you feel good.
    So does cocaine! That must be good for you.

    Cocaine has negative health effects.

    Weed also does, but eating allot does too.


    Cutting off your hands does not keep you from killing yourself.




    Don't take things out of context. Cutting off your hands is so much different than smoking. It's very unhealthy, you lose your hands.

    Driving is fine because it has a purpose, to get somewhere quickly. The odds that you will die from driving are low. But the odds that you will die from weed are lower, much lower.

    Cutting off your hands isn't going to kill you, but it's unhealthy, because you lose your hands. And no reason to cut off your hands, it does not keep you from killing yourself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #153  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cocaine has negative health effects.
    Yes, but it makes you feel good. That's good for you - right?
    Cutting off your hands does not keep you from killing yourself.
    Of course it does. How do you tie a noose with no hands? Pull a trigger?
    Don't take things out of context. Cutting off your hands is so much different than smoking. It's very unhealthy, you lose your hands.
    Aha! So what you are saying is that if something poses significant health risks, then you have to weigh that against the potential benefits? Excellent! Apply that to all your decisions and you'll be making better ones.

    Cutting off your hands isn't going to kill you, but it's unhealthy, because you lose your hands. And no reason to cut off your hands, it does not keep you from killing yourself.
    Good analysis. Similarly, smoking pot probably isn't going to kill you, but it's unhealthy, because you can damage your lungs and mental well being. No reason to smoke pot, it doesn't keep you from getting depressed.

    Now, if you accept all the health risks of smoking pot, and you think that the good feeling is worth the risk, then you might decide to take the risk. You'll have to live with the consequences (I posted a list of potential consequences above) but that's true of everything you choose to do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #154  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Alcohol drunken without proper caution and responsibility will kill you. As would driving with recluse disregard.
    I have always had the highest regard for the recluses that I know. Even those who are complete strangers I would never drive over. At any rate, since they are recluses, they are rarely seen on public highways.
    snicker.....soooooooo they recluse off public highways? *chuckle*

    sorry...couldn't resist!
    ie...under bridges....etc
    "Pleased you's do find fault, and that well good at it am I.."~ I will not correct my error as some entertainment value is a good thing.. it may have been my spell checker that corrected my reckless recluse.. regardless and thanks..
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #155  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Bill, take my sage and learned advice when it comes to dealing with Weterman; don't.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #156  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Cocaine has negative health effects.
    Yes, but it makes you feel good. That's good for you - right?
    Cutting off your hands does not keep you from killing yourself.
    Of course it does. How do you tie a noose with no hands? Pull a trigger?
    Don't take things out of context. Cutting off your hands is so much different than smoking. It's very unhealthy, you lose your hands.
    Aha! So what you are saying is that if something poses significant health risks, then you have to weigh that against the potential benefits? Excellent! Apply that to all your decisions and you'll be making better ones.

    Cutting off your hands isn't going to kill you, but it's unhealthy, because you lose your hands. And no reason to cut off your hands, it does not keep you from killing yourself.
    Good analysis. Similarly, smoking pot probably isn't going to kill you, but it's unhealthy, because you can damage your lungs and mental well being. No reason to smoke pot, it doesn't keep you from getting depressed.

    Now, if you accept all the health risks of smoking pot, and you think that the good feeling is worth the risk, then you might decide to take the risk. You'll have to live with the consequences (I posted a list of potential consequences above) but that's true of everything you choose to do.
    That's what I'm trying to say, I do accept health risks for the good feeling.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #157  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Bill, take my sage and learned advice when it comes to dealing with Weterman; don't.
    You're probably right. I often fall for that old trap "there's something wrong on the Internet and I can fix it if I just . . . ." Rarely effective.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #158  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Sadness is more like a conscious level situation where you know the cause of your sadness although you could feel sad in a depression with crying episodes for no reason. In depression you usually don't know of a cause coming from daily life in the world. There are different symptoms but often sleep is disrupted also appetite. In my experience with depression which was off and on for years and quite serious there was no hope for anything. No motivation to do anything. Very scary like my soul or inner self was decaying.

    I was watching some film of unemployed men in the great depression here in the USA. They were in bad psychological shape. I imagine some were in a state of depression and in that case they would know the cause but the effect would go deeper than sadness effecting the overall mood and energy level of the body.

    Some might discourage you from anti-depression meds but don't let them. I was really feeling bad at one time. They tried medication on me. The first one didn't do anything but they switched and in three days I was completely normal.

    It can really help if you suspect depression to get physically active as in walking, jogging or weightlifting. I remember this working for me. It releases endorphins.

    If you think you are just sad take a look at CBT cognitive behaviour therapy or it's relatives like RET rational emotive therapy and assertiveness training. It can work wonders in showing your errors in logic/thinking and how to deal constructively with social situations.
    Last edited by deric; May 1st, 2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: additions
    Weterman likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Why do I get sad after I have fun?
    By Weterman in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 27th, 2014, 02:05 PM
  2. Variants of SAD
    By Nevyn in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 18th, 2014, 08:34 AM
  3. Is it possible to be depressed without knowing it yourself?
    By Raziell in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: August 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
  4. A sad day...
    By gottspieler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: December 11th, 2010, 03:46 AM
  5. One in 10 Japanese teens depressed: study
    By tzh in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 25th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •