Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 2 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Trivium
  • 1 Post By Curiosity
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By dan hunter
  • 1 Post By Curiosity

Thread: Solving the Mind-body & Consciousness Problem

  1. #1 Solving the Mind-body & Consciousness Problem 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    I have never understood the mind-body problem or the consciousness problem until I realized...lol, there's your problem.


    The mind and the body are not separate. The mind grows the body. Body is mind.

    Proof: how did you decide you were conscious? The question says it. You decided you were conscious because you observed that you have a mind.

    Now, how did you decide that I was conscious? How did you decide to believe that? The only way is that you observed I have a body.

    You observed you have a mind, and a body, and you decided that either was good enough for consciousness.

    I'm seriously not sure what all the fuss is about ? ? ?

    It's funny, that because I have a body, I'm conscious - but non-human animals, because they have a body, theyre NOT conscious. Isnt that weird?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by observethisexperience View Post
    I have never understood the mind-body problem or the consciousness problem until I realized...lol, there's your problem.


    The mind and the body are not separate. The mind grows the body. Body is mind.

    Proof: how did you decide you were conscious? The question says it. You decided you were conscious because you observed that you have a mind.

    Now, how did you decide that I was conscious? How did you decide to believe that? The only way is that you observed I have a body.

    You observed you have a mind, and a body, and you decided that either was good enough for consciousness.

    I'm seriously not sure what all the fuss is about ? ? ?

    It's funny, that because I have a body, I'm conscious - but non-human animals, because they have a body, theyre NOT conscious. Isnt that weird?
    I am not sure I am getting the jest of your question. I have no clue how I became conscious, I became conscious in a flash and cannot remember how it happened. After I became conscious, I became conscious of my body. Is that what you mean?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by observethisexperience View Post
    It's funny, that because I have a body, I'm conscious - but non-human animals, because they have a body, theyre NOT conscious. Isnt that weird?
    And probably wrong....

    Isaac, my bob tailed/manx grey feline companion sleeps beside me on another chair in hands reach so I can pet him from time to time. Less than ten minutes ago, he came into my study crying his uniquel "I'm out of food" call, which he seems to think means any bowl less than half full. He will wake soon, and much like I do after a slumber take a leak and find some mischief to get into with his adult sibling, one of my wife's trinkets (though in my case it's my wife), or demand my attentions. If he is lucky, my wife will reach above the frig and start his calling and rolling on the rug even before she removes his favorite cloth mouse squeaky toy from the catnap bag where its been "charging" for the past couple weeks. His sister will probably join in for a half hour of pure antics. Isaac, and I suspect more mammals and quite a few other organisms are very conscious.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    You seem to have the problems of body and consciousness solved, it's your mind that I'm worried about.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by observethisexperience View Post
    The only way is that you observed I have a body.
    I haven't observed that. So your argument appears to be without any basis.
    Robittybob1 and Curiosity like this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,366
    Quote Originally Posted by observethisexperience View Post
    I have never understood the mind-body problem or the consciousness problem...
    And that's the point where you should have gone away and learned about it, rather than spouting drivel in public.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Masters Degree DianeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by observethisexperience View Post
    It's funny, that because I have a body, I'm conscious - but non-human animals, because they have a body, theyre NOT conscious. Isnt that weird?
    Are you being facetious, or are you really saying you don't think any other animals are conscious?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    656
    The mind grows the body? Interesting concept. Maybe your difficulty is with the Western concept of mind and body (which is a 400 year old concept from Descartes) and suggests that one is separate from the other. That is of course incorrect - humans are not two things they are one - an intelligent body. Much like every other animal on earth is an intelligent body.

    Levels of consciousness ie self-awareness differ from species to species and within species. I have owned some animals that seem to have a high degree of self and other awareness and some that blunder around completely oblivious - much like humans really. In fact I've had one cat that was more aware than a lot of humans I have met.

    What consciousness problem are you talking about though? Are you thinking of the so-called 'hard' problem of consciousness that considers how the physical workings of the brain give rise to consciousness? If that is the case you haven't solved anything.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    I do not think, therefore I am not.

    I wish this worked on all cranks.
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    @ observethisexperience;
    Please understand that DRUGS ARE BAD FOR YOU!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    You know, we're quite unlikely to ever solve this problem, especially given that studying consciousness as a neuroscientist, is a CLM... a career limiting move.
    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Oops, a brain fart just happened!
    This message has been edited to erase it.
    Last edited by dan hunter; February 11th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,366
    Whut?
    I think you're at least partially conflating Curiosity and the OP - observetheexperience.
    dan hunter likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Whut?
    I think you're at least partially conflating Curiosity and the OP - observetheexperience.
    damn, you are right, I was.
    erase time!

    thanks.
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    D: Nooooo!
    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2
    Are self awareness and conciousness the same? And is self awareness pre requisite to intellect? Or is self awareness the result of intellect? Consiousness seems a different kind of thing. For ex. A goldfish can be concious of being hungry but, it will never recognise itself in a mirror.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. solving a bully problem
    By chero in forum Education
    Replies: 214
    Last Post: April 5th, 2014, 12:19 AM
  2. Mind, consciousness and dreaming
    By blue_space87 in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
  3. Mind, Consciousness, and Unconsciousnes
    By DrmDoc in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: April 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
  5. problem solving
    By symplectic_manifold in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 18th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •