Notices
Results 1 to 53 of 53
Like Tree22Likes
  • 3 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Delta Flyer
  • 2 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 3 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 4 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By deric
  • 1 Post By deric
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot

Thread: Getting Shit-faced.....

  1. #1 Getting Shit-faced..... 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,800
    what's good about it? I hear it all the time, people bragging about getting smashed. Do we wear such distinctions like a badge of honor? If we look at it from a Health, Financial and Social perspective then what is the reason we do it? Is it social status, a sense of belonging? Despite all the negativity associated with getting hammered, people still do it. Why?


    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    I prefer a buzz, considerably more. The only reason I see for getting "shit-faced" is neglecting to remember how terrible I am at holding my alcohol...


    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Geez...I really tied one on last night. A combination of being tired, empty stomach, and new blood pressure meds. I like a nice buzz...but I don't like it when I don't remember stuff....like my last few posts from last night.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    I like a nice buzz...but I don't like it when I don't remember stuff....like my last few posts from last night.
    Yeh, that one about getting naked with Margaret Thacher's corpse seemed really bizarre.
    Raziell, Ascended and Neverfly like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Black Forest
    Posts
    21
    Over the last twenty years, there's been an increasing trend among teens and young adults towards binge drinking. That's not to say that didn't happen in the 80s, but it was the exception, not the rule.

    I think part of the problem is that there's been a corresponding trend in the TV and movies depicting heading to a bar to do shots while waking up the next day still blitzed. They depict it as both "cool" and "normal." Thirty years ago they depicted drinking as well, but binge drinking was also depicted as the exception rather than the norm.

    Fifty years ago, binge drinking was still depicted, but not merely as the exception. It was depicted as the very rare exception, and in a very bad light, such as when an individual had lost their job, family, and all sense of respect for themselves. Consider George's episode in It's a Wonderful Life (1946), nearly 70 years ago, or Stanley's "STELLA!" behavior in A Streetcar Named Desire. It wasn't cool. It wasn't normal. Thus, it was accurate.

    Light to moderate drinking (up to two 4-oz glasses of wine or equivalent at a sitting, up to three times per week) has shown few ill effects, particularly if people stay away from stuff that's either hard or sweet. Any more than that, however, has been shown to result in cumulative health problems, some of which cannot be reversed.

    I limit my intake of alcohol to company, either going out with friends, or if we get together for a meal or football at their place or mine. Then, I'll have a beer or a glass of wine. That's it.
    The Huntsman likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    zinjanthropos:

    As far back as the archaeological record can take us, people have been consuming alcohol.
    And doing mind bending drugs(plants).

    When I was growing up in small town america(1/2 a century ago), teenage drinking was illegal, but common. When in the company of friends, all drinking, it was not uncommon to have us all falling down drunk. Chugging contest were also common. When I pledged the roughnecks at the University of Oklahoma, getting passed out drunk(chugging pints of hard cider and whiskey mixed together) was part of the process.
    If the cops busted us, they usually just dumped the booze and had a good laugh.
    Puking was part of the ritual.

    However: It was common to look down on individuals who got drunk alone at public gatherings.
    It was seen as an embarrassment.

    as to: Why people still do it:
    It is part of our hard wiring as a species.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    what's good about it? I hear it all the time, people bragging about getting smashed. Do we wear such distinctions like a badge of honor? If we look at it from a Health, Financial and Social perspective then what is the reason we do it? Is it social status, a sense of belonging? Despite all the negativity associated with getting hammered, people still do it. Why?
    It's a cultural thing. In Canada, USA, and England getting drunk is seen as a way of socialising. It it also considered a rite of passage. In France and Italy it is usually considered a faux pas. Getting drunk simply isn't a part of their culture. Some psychologists have thought this might be because children are often introduced to alcohol and drinking alcohol at earlier ages in these types of countries - and that they learn alcohol is drunk in small quantities from the social environment of familial meal-eating.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,800
    I read somewhere that if you get a dog sloshed then the mutt will never go near booze again, not sure if that's true. Birds have been known to get tipsy from eating fermented berries and then they fly into your front door.

    Regardless, I look at boozing with the cost in mind. I like saving money, investing, compound interest, stocks....all the stuff a frequent drinker may miss out on. Personally I have been wasted a few times, used to drink rather heavily but now I see that time as something I'll never get back, an opportunity to improve my finances gone. Nowadays I don't even touch the stuff and I think that came from my cancer scare nearly two years ago. However I had cut my drinking down to next to nothing by then. I never realized until sitting in the cancer ward that alcohol was a carcinogen, so it scared the crap out of me even more. I feel better, my friends didn't desert me, they know I'm always good to drive someone home.

    Important to break the mould I think. If you were raised in the booze culture then it is difficult to break away. I don't miss it, my portfolio is looking good and I'm ready to have a good life whenever I retire, sans alcohol. Oh yeah! there are plenty of sober women about also. Always nice when I can remember the night we had, no more head in the toilet for me, I'm done with that stage.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    I read somewhere that if you get a dog sloshed then the mutt will never go near booze again, not sure if that's true. Birds have been known to get tipsy from eating fermented berries and then they fly into your front door.

    Regardless, I look at boozing with the cost in mind. I like saving money, investing, compound interest, stocks....all the stuff a frequent drinker may miss out on. Personally I have been wasted a few times, used to drink rather heavily but now I see that time as something I'll never get back, an opportunity to improve my finances gone. Nowadays I don't even touch the stuff and I think that came from my cancer scare nearly two years ago. However I had cut my drinking down to next to nothing by then. I never realized until sitting in the cancer ward that alcohol was a carcinogen, so it scared the crap out of me even more. I feel better, my friends didn't desert me, they know I'm always good to drive someone home.

    Important to break the mould I think. If you were raised in the booze culture then it is difficult to break away. I don't miss it, my portfolio is looking good and I'm ready to have a good life whenever I retire, sans alcohol. Oh yeah! there are plenty of sober women about also. Always nice when I can remember the night we had, no more head in the toilet for me, I'm done with that stage.
    I know how I feel about being around a drunk person, and I have been that person many years ago. I simply don't want to be that guy and haven't been drunk in over 30 years now. That doesn't mean I won't take a drink, I just make a point of not getting drunk.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Nothing good about it, really. And my workouts suck the day after a drunk-fest. :/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Nothing good about it, really. And my workouts suck the day after a drunk-fest. :/
    If you were able to workout the next day, you couldn't have been very shitfaced the night before. I sometimes had to have a drink in the morning to feel better. Working out wasn't even a consideration.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
    Over the last twenty years, there's been an increasing trend among teens and young adults towards binge drinking. That's not to say that didn't happen in the 80s, but it was the exception, not the rule.
    Before Prohibition, binge drinking was again the rule. The drink of the US was whiskey because it could be consumed quickly via several 'shots' without spending too much time in the bar. The massive amount of binge drinking was one reason the temperance movement was successful in instituting Prohibition.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Nothing good about it, really. And my workouts suck the day after a drunk-fest. :/
    If you were able to workout the next day, you couldn't have been very shitfaced the night before. I sometimes had to have a drink in the morning to feel better. Working out wasn't even a consideration.
    haha I've had bad hangovers, and BAD hangovers. With best of intentions, I'll still try to workout, but it usually turns out badly. lol I do like a glass of wine or two with friends, etc...but, that's about it, anymore. I get bad headaches sometimes from wine. I believe it's due to the tannins? I used to think it was due to the sulfites, but that's not the case. Supposedly, tannins and not sulfites cause the headaches. Speaking of all this, supposed to go to a party tonight...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Woot! lets party!
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    Woot! lets party!
    see? ^^ peer pressure
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    Woot! lets party!
    see? ^^ peer pressure
    No, he's just younger and hasn't grown out of the party stage yet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Anybody want to go cow tipping?
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    People really do that? ^^
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,436
    yes people really do cow tipping

    Having grown up in a family from Europe, we always had wine....we MADE wine and Slivovich. We had watered down wine on Sunday dinner and at the age of 13 I could have a glass of wine anytime I wanted.

    I have rarely been hammered in my life..though I have a few times. I don't like the feeling.....I also don't measure a glass of wine if I am having one. If my grandmother poured me a glass of wine, I guarantee you it was not four ounces!!

    Drink in moderation

    You'll be fine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    What is "cow tipping"?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    What is "cow tipping"?


    A cow voluntarily lying on its side


    Cow tipping or cow pushing is the purported activity of sneaking up on an unsuspecting upright cow and pushing it over for entertainment. The practice of cow tipping is generally considered an urban legend, as cows do not sleep standing up, and the implication that a cow can be pushed over and not stand up again is incorrect, as, unless injured, cows routinely lie down and can easily regain their footing. The implication that rural citizens seek such entertainment due to lack of other alternatives is also generally viewed as urban legend that stereotypes people who live in rural areas.[1]
    wegs likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Growing up in small town america, we lacked good cultural entertainment.
    Sometimes we'd put on our Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes and go and watch the Jewel food store trucks unload.
    Some of those guys acted really weirdly when we applauded.
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Growing up in small town America, we lacked good cultural entertainment.
    Sometimes we'd put on our Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes and go and watch the Jewel food store trucks unload.
    Some of those guys acted really weirdly when we applauded.
    I used to get a kick out of dressing up as a ghostly figure and lingering around in old neglected cemeteries that could be seen from residential areas from a distance. I wouldn't doubt there were people who would glance out their window and freak out thinking they had proof that old cemetery was haunted. lol.

    Living in small towns back before there was internet but lots of farms and people given to religious superstition gave many opportunities for odd forms of entertainment.

    I used to hear about cow tipping but never actually did it. TPing houses and mail box bashing was more common.


    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Outhouse Tipping is funnier if someone is using it (and it's not you).

    wegs likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    You know, ^^ that reminds me. I want to say I saw on one of those shows 'Jack Ass,' where they rigged a portable toilet to make it bounce high in the air...almost like it was on a trampoline, with someone in it. OMG...it was horribly gross.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    smashing mailboxes
    When they were 16, one of my sons and his friends decided that smashing mailboxes would be fun
    I hope it was
    The next day, i made them buy new mailboxes and replace the ones they had smashed, and apologize to the people whose mailboxes they had smashed.
    I believe that the victims of random vandalism are psychologically harmed by the vandalism. Apologizing takes some of that pain away.
    The boys hated the apologizing part the most..................but I made them do it anyway.

    To the best of my knowledge, they never repeated that transgression.
    scheherazade, seagypsy and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    What is "cow tipping"?


    A cow voluntarily lying on its side


    Cow tipping or cow pushing is the purported activity of sneaking up on an unsuspecting upright cow and pushing it over for entertainment. The practice of cow tipping is generally considered an urban legend, as cows do not sleep standing up, and the implication that a cow can be pushed over and not stand up again is incorrect, as, unless injured, cows routinely lie down and can easily regain their footing. The implication that rural citizens seek such entertainment due to lack of other alternatives is also generally viewed as urban legend that stereotypes people who live in rural areas.[1]
    lol @ the caption under the cow
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    You know, ^^ that reminds me. I want to say I saw on one of those shows 'Jack Ass,' where they rigged a portable toilet to make it bounce high in the air...almost like it was on a trampoline, with someone in it. OMG...it was horribly gross.
    Jackass 3 Poo Cocktail Supreme - YouTube

    Now you can be grossed out again!
    doh! just thinking about it...eek!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    You know, ^^ that reminds me. I want to say I saw on one of those shows 'Jack Ass,' where they rigged a portable toilet to make it bounce high in the air...almost like it was on a trampoline, with someone in it. OMG...it was horribly gross.
    Jackass 3 Poo Cocktail Supreme - YouTube

    Now you can be grossed out again!

    I have seen things no man should ever see.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    You know, ^^ that reminds me. I want to say I saw on one of those shows 'Jack Ass,' where they rigged a portable toilet to make it bounce high in the air...almost like it was on a trampoline, with someone in it. OMG...it was horribly gross.
    Jackass 3 Poo Cocktail Supreme - YouTube

    Now you can be grossed out again!

    I have seen things no man should ever see.
    I watched the first Jackass picture and that was enough for the rest of my life.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Lol true dat, robot. Sorry, Cogito!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    282
    My impression is that some people just enjoy (or maybe the word is crave) alcohol more than others. Some of it is undoubtedly cultural, and some an accident of peer group interests, but I have wondered if there might actually be something physiological that makes some people just more interested in imbibing than others. Some genetic distinction in neurotransmitters or enzymes or something.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,436
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    What is "cow tipping"?


    A cow voluntarily lying on its side


    Cow tipping or cow pushing is the purported activity of sneaking up on an unsuspecting upright cow and pushing it over for entertainment. The practice of cow tipping is generally considered an urban legend, as cows do not sleep standing up, and the implication that a cow can be pushed over and not stand up again is incorrect, as, unless injured, cows routinely lie down and can easily regain their footing. The implication that rural citizens seek such entertainment due to lack of other alternatives is also generally viewed as urban legend that stereotypes people who live in rural areas.[1]
    Hey stop fiddling with the local folk lore!! *L*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Outhouse Tipping is funnier if someone is using it (and it's not you).

    We have made people very uneasy!! *L* Though my husband did tip one over, I believe with his brother in it. Shitty story.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,436
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    smashing mailboxes
    When they were 16, one of my sons and his friends decided that smashing mailboxes would be fun
    I hope it was
    The next day, i made them buy new mailboxes and replace the ones they had smashed, and apologize to the people whose mailboxes they had smashed.
    I believe that the victims of random vandalism are psychologically harmed by the vandalism. Apologizing takes some of that pain away.
    The boys hated the apologizing part the most..................but I made them do it anyway.

    To the best of my knowledge, they never repeated that transgression.

    Good for you!

    Ours got smashed every few months for a couple of years. It wasn't funny. Juvenile destructive behavior.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
    Over the last twenty years, there's been an increasing trend among teens and young adults towards binge drinking. That's not to say that didn't happen in the 80s, but it was the exception, not the rule.

    I think part of the problem is that there's been a corresponding trend in the TV and movies depicting heading to a bar to do shots while waking up the next day still blitzed. They depict it as both "cool" and "normal." Thirty years ago they depicted drinking as well, but binge drinking was also depicted as the exception rather than the norm.

    Fifty years ago, binge drinking was still depicted, but not merely as the exception. It was depicted as the very rare exception, and in a very bad light, such as when an individual had lost their job, family, and all sense of respect for themselves. Consider George's episode in It's a Wonderful Life (1946), nearly 70 years ago, or Stanley's "STELLA!" behavior in A Streetcar Named Desire. It wasn't cool. It wasn't normal. Thus, it was accurate.

    Light to moderate drinking (up to two 4-oz glasses of wine or equivalent at a sitting, up to three times per week) has shown few ill effects, particularly if people stay away from stuff that's either hard or sweet. Any more than that, however, has been shown to result in cumulative health problems, some of which cannot be reversed.

    I limit my intake of alcohol to company, either going out with friends, or if we get together for a meal or football at their place or mine. Then, I'll have a beer or a glass of wine. That's it.
    Like many things, I think that's more our rose colored glasses looking back at our past than reality. I know for a fact 30-40 years ago (when I was growing up), people were not only getting smashed, it started by 14 or 15 years old, often with parents help and no one really gave two craps. Or teenagers would just find some abandoned shack or school bus and do it. But of course the parents denied it, just as they denied that their kids were also having sex, committing vandalism, bullying people and all the rest. If you were lucky all your kids were doing is drinking and smoking pot...not getting into cocaine and other drugs. You're right it wasn't depicted, because our entire society was in denial. Now stuff in far more in the open--kids self disclose by social media far more, police who get involved have to do more than a stern talking to and providing a ride home, just maybe a talk to the parents if they also weren't addicts or drunkers--their data gets reported. Most states did not have social workers nor laws that adults working with young adults legal and binding responsibilities to report suspected serious problems at home, like they do today. Seriously problem teenagers regardless of their problem, were often warehoused at home with no responsibilities from the state nor hardly any support structures to help, or educate etc.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    [
    I have seen things no man should ever see.
    Well, now that you whetted my frigging interest, what the hell WERE some of them? Gross? Disgusting? Or what? Come on, don't leave me waiting here all night! I thought I had seen such "forbidden" things, but now, ya got me wondering! jocular
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
    Over the last twenty years, there's been an increasing trend among teens and young adults towards binge drinking. That's not to say that didn't happen in the 80s, but it was the exception, not the rule.

    I think part of the problem is that there's been a corresponding trend in the TV and movies depicting heading to a bar to do shots while waking up the next day still blitzed. They depict it as both "cool" and "normal." Thirty years ago they depicted drinking as well, but binge drinking was also depicted as the exception rather than the norm.

    Fifty years ago, binge drinking was still depicted, but not merely as the exception. It was depicted as the very rare exception, and in a very bad light, such as when an individual had lost their job, family, and all sense of respect for themselves. Consider George's episode in It's a Wonderful Life (1946), nearly 70 years ago, or Stanley's "STELLA!" behavior in A Streetcar Named Desire. It wasn't cool. It wasn't normal. Thus, it was accurate.

    Light to moderate drinking (up to two 4-oz glasses of wine or equivalent at a sitting, up to three times per week) has shown few ill effects, particularly if people stay away from stuff that's either hard or sweet. Any more than that, however, has been shown to result in cumulative health problems, some of which cannot be reversed.

    I limit my intake of alcohol to company, either going out with friends, or if we get together for a meal or football at their place or mine. Then, I'll have a beer or a glass of wine. That's it.


    "This is your brain... On pinball."
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Black Forest
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Like many things, I think that's more our rose colored glasses looking back at our past than reality. I know for a fact 30-40 years ago (when I was growing up), people were not only getting smashed, it started by 14 or 15 years old, often with parents help and no one really gave two craps.
    There's some truth to that. My folks always said, "if you want to drink, drink all you want -- in the basement." They also said, "If you're going out, two's the limit." And this was back when I was 16! I don't think the term "designated driver" even existed. At least I never heard it back then, although if the driver had a few too many, if they were smart, they'd toss their keys to a friend.

    But very few people were into binge drinking, the all-night ten to twenty beer marathons. Even if we stayed in, we might go through three or four beers. If we really wanted to push it up, we'd do the whole six-pack! Whoo-hoo!

    I often his the bars in different cities, more to savor a beer while reading a book than anything else, but I see what the younger kids do, including JM shots until they puke. It's ridiculous, and a bit scary. They're usually not without a plan, however, including a DD.

    ...just as they denied that their kids were also having sex, committing vandalism, bullying people and all the rest. If you were lucky all your kids were doing is drinking and smoking pot...not getting into cocaine and other drugs.
    While that was around, it was a bit more in the shadows then. Unless you lived in San Francisco, where it was fairly out in the open. A lot of people from my generation never tried drugs, I think in part because we were raised better than that, and in part because of societal norms - it really was frowned upon.

    I went to a fairly large high school, and in four years recall two occasions where the police visited our school to take care of business. One kid they arrested in class for dealing drugs. He was dealing outside school, not in school, as there was very little market. Another had brought a gun to school.

    ...were often warehoused at home with no responsibilities from the state nor hardly any support structures to help, or educate etc.
    I think two factors have lead to a serious lack of parenting: Dual-income families and single parents. So much for "progress."

    And in the news this morning: "Alarming Rate of 'Extreme Binge Drinking' Seen in High Schoolers"

    So, apparently, there is some empirical data backing up the claim that the trend is getting worse.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    After getting drunk or nearly so everyday for 40 years and that's no exaggeration I think I'm qualified as a realiable source. For many getting shitfaced is not a matter of choice once you've had a drink or two. You reach a certain point and you just go on auto until you get to that point or beyond. For the others who have not lost control of drinking just having a really good time might lead you to that state. Or maybe you realize alcohol breaks up habitual thought trains so if you get shitfaced you stop running depressive thoughts about your cheatin girlfriend and you will love her again for a few hours.
    jocular likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    After getting drunk or nearly so everyday for 40 years and that's no exaggeration I think I'm qualified as a realiable source. For many getting shitfaced is not a matter of choice once you've had a drink or two. You reach a certain point and you just go on auto until you get to that point or beyond. For the others who have not lost control of drinking just having a really good time might lead you to that state. Or maybe you realize alcohol breaks up habitual thought trains so if you get shitfaced you stop running depressive thoughts about your cheatin girlfriend and you will love her again for a few hours.
    Do you have any friends that don't get shitfaced with you? How's your liver holding up? Did you ever think that you might have a cheating girlfriend because she's second place to your drinking? Also, if you don't have a choice after a couple of drinks, make a choice not to have any drinks at all if you can.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
    Light to moderate drinking (up to two 4-oz glasses of wine or equivalent at a sitting, up to three times per week) has shown few ill effects, particularly if people stay away from stuff that's either hard or sweet. Any more than that, however, has been shown to result in cumulative health problems, some of which cannot be reversed.
    Please clarify. "Stuff" being wine? If wine, what difference does it make if sweet? Hard, being higher alcohol content? Not clear, as "hard stuff" (whiskey, rum, etc.) is not sweet. jocular
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
    Light to moderate drinking (up to two 4-oz glasses of wine or equivalent at a sitting, up to three times per week) has shown few ill effects, particularly if people stay away from stuff that's either hard or sweet. Any more than that, however, has been shown to result in cumulative health problems, some of which cannot be reversed.
    Please clarify. "Stuff" being wine? If wine, what difference does it make if sweet? Hard, being higher alcohol content? Not clear, as "hard stuff" (whiskey, rum, etc.) is not sweet. jocular
    If you mix it just right it is.... I love long island ice teas....mmmm
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    After getting drunk or nearly so everyday for 40 years and that's no exaggeration I think I'm qualified as a realiable source. For many getting shitfaced is not a matter of choice once you've had a drink or two. You reach a certain point and you just go on auto until you get to that point or beyond. For the others who have not lost control of drinking just having a really good time might lead you to that state. Or maybe you realize alcohol breaks up habitual thought trains so if you get shitfaced you stop running depressive thoughts about your cheatin girlfriend and you will love her again for a few hours.
    Do you have any friends that don't get shitfaced with you? How's your liver holding up? Did you ever think that you might have a cheating girlfriend because she's second place to your drinking? Also, if you don't have a choice after a couple of drinks, make a choice not to have any drinks at all if you can.
    I quit some time ago. Just saw how it will destroy you mentally not to mention the body. No will power thing. Just quit one day with next to no craving and none now. You will never accomplish anything any goals if you drink much. In the morning I see I've missed nothing but have progressed in my work interests. It exaggerates thinking/emotion and desires to a pointless degree. Observe that if you want to quit. And I lost 20lbs! No impulse eating!
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    its fake...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    what's good about it? I hear it all the time, people bragging about getting smashed. Do we wear such distinctions like a badge of honor? If we look at it from a Health, Financial and Social perspective then what is the reason we do it? Is it social status, a sense of belonging? Despite all the negativity associated with getting hammered, people still do it. Why?
    Stupidity is as stupidity does.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    I quit some time ago. Just saw how it will destroy you mentally not to mention the body. No will power thing. Just quit one day with next to no craving and none now. You will never accomplish anything any goals if you drink much. In the morning I see I've missed nothing but have progressed in my work interests. It exaggerates thinking/emotion and desires to a pointless degree. Observe that if you want to quit. And I lost 20lbs! No impulse eating!
    Good for you. How did that affect the relationships you had while you were still drinking? Did you find yourself not wanting to hang with your old drinking buddies anymore? How did that affect any other habits you had such as smoking tobacco & pot? Most drinkers are usually in to other social habits too, and I've found people that give up drinking usually give up the other bad habits fairly soon after the drinking stops.
    jocular likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Didn't have drinking buddies just by myself drinking and smoking weed and reading rock band bios until I couldn't function every evening. What a life. Sleep till 8am and it takes half the day to recover. Then you have 4 hours of productive time and then it's Oh Boy! cocktail hour again. There are several people who dislike and won't speak to me now because of the personality deterioration that manifested as very awkward social conduct. That's too bad but it's not a crisis or disaster. For some who would dwell on it and wallow in remorse it would be but not for me. It's unfortunate but no more than that. I have other interests that totally consume me and keep me socially involved. The erb. Yes. I don't want to smoke. I'm afraid it will bring me back to drinking. Plus it just makes you stupid anyway. People use it because their friends do. That and it's antiestablishment. Combining that with the vodka or whisky every night really rots the self. It's probably the most to blame for weight gain. But I wasn't that bad-got up to 190 when I should be 165. Like get fucked up and rape the fridge mindlessly. Binge eating. I did take a coulple hits the other day when I went to buy some weed for a friend who smokes. Had to assure them I wasn't a cop you know. Kicked my ass after having laid off for a time. The pot nowdays is very strong. That shit about being a pain killer is 95% nonsense. I used it regularly for 40 years. The cigarettes? oh god! I quit some years ago when I had a heart attack and had no desire so I broke the habit. I'd rather be a drunk than a cigarette addict. To sum it up I just finally realized how pointless and self defeating it was and that's all I needed to quit. Now if I do think of getting buzzed I just recall the reasons I quit and that's all it takes. But that's a rare occasion. !QUOTE=Bad Robot;474157]
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    I quit some time ago. Just saw how it will destroy you mentally not to mention the body. No will power thing. Just quit one day with next to no craving and none now. You will never accomplish anything any goals if you drink much. In the morning I see I've missed nothing but have progressed in my work interests. It exaggerates thinking/emotion and desires to a pointless degree. Observe that if you want to quit. And I lost 20lbs! No impulse eating!
    Good for you. How did that affect the relationships you had while you were still drinking? Did you find yourself not wanting to hang with your old drinking buddies anymore? How did that affect any other habits you had such as smoking tobacco & pot? Most drinkers are usually in to other social habits too, and I've found people that give up drinking usually give up the other bad habits fairly soon after the drinking stops.[/QUOTE]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    didn't have drinking buddies just by myself drinking and smoking weed and reading rock band bios until i couldn't function every evening. What a life. Sleep till 8am and it takes half the day to recover. Then you have 4 hours of productive time and then it's oh boy! Cocktail hour again. There are several people who dislike and won't speak to me now because of the personality deterioration that manifested as very awkward social conduct. That's too bad but it's not a crisis or disaster. For some who would dwell on it and wallow in remorse it would be but not for me. It's unfortunate but no more than that. I have other interests that totally consume me and keep me socially involved. The erb. Yes. I don't want to smoke. I'm afraid it will bring me back to drinking. Plus it just makes you stupid anyway. People use it because their friends do. That and it's antiestablishment. Combining that with the vodka or whisky every night really rots the self. It's probably the most to blame for weight gain. But i wasn't that bad-got up to 190 when i should be 165. Like get fucked up and rape the fridge mindlessly. Binge eating. I did take a coulple hits the other day when i went to buy some weed for a friend who smokes. Had to assure them i wasn't a cop you know. Kicked my ass after having laid off for a time. The pot nowdays is very strong. That shit about being a pain killer is 95% nonsense. I used it regularly for 40 years. The cigarettes? Oh god! I quit some years ago when i had a heart attack and had no desire so i broke the habit. I'd rather be a drunk than a cigarette addict. To sum it up i just finally realized how pointless and self defeating it was and that's all i needed to quit. Now if i do think of getting buzzed i just recall the reasons i quit and that's all it takes. But that's a rare occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    i quit some time ago. Just saw how it will destroy you mentally not to mention the body. No will power thing. Just quit one day with next to no craving and none now. You will never accomplish anything any goals if you drink much. In the morning i see i've missed nothing but have progressed in my work interests. It exaggerates thinking/emotion and desires to a pointless degree. Observe that if you want to quit. And i lost 20lbs! No impulse eating!
    good for you. How did that affect the relationships you had while you were still drinking? Did you find yourself not wanting to hang with your old drinking buddies anymore? How did that affect any other habits you had such as smoking tobacco & pot? Most drinkers are usually in to other social habits too, and i've found people that give up drinking usually give up the other bad habits fairly soon after the drinking stops.
    I can see you are new to the forum. Usually you add your posts after the quotes and not before them. If you only want to include part of a post you are replying to with quotes you can delete out the part you don't want to include. If you haven't done that before be sure to use the [Preview Post] and if you should slip and mess up a post use the [edit] to fix it. Other than that you should fit right in, if you choose to keep posting here.

    I pretty much quit smoking pot in my mid 30's, although I'm not opposed to a hit every now and then depending on who I'm with. I use to be a beer drinker, but found myself crashing after a few beers, so it was time to quit. Never regretted it a bit. Smoking tobacco was a bit tougher to quit, but I finally tried Chantix and it worked as advertised with no side effects what so ever. So now I go to the gym every day. Here's a tip, if you like any of the posters and want to follow their post just click on their ID and select the view all their posts, then you can select any of the topics you might want to view.
    deric likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Freshman The Huntsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    53
    Once upon a time I was a heavy drinker. These days, not so much. I'll have the odd beer or two but will not get maggott.

    These days I actually think people drink because they are unhappy. It's fascinating that people have to drink on a saturday night to have a good time, and they will drink even though they know the next day will be shit. They need to drink so badly even though there will be consequences? There's an antonishing amount of these people when you think about it. I think there's an interesting parallell with drinking and debt.. in a way they are very similar things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    548
    It's because psychologists value humble behaviour.

    Anything licentious and hedonistic is an illness and not "normal", according to them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    548
    haha..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    A friend told me of a Russian imagrant he was friends with who told him in Russia people drink because they are miserable. Here you drink for fun. In Russia vodka is the currency because money is worthless and that we should feel lucky to live in the USA.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Two faced Moon
    By Jack1941 in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: January 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM
  2. Shit Students Write..hilarious...
    By gottspieler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 9th, 2011, 10:45 PM
  3. whats the most useless shit you've ever memorized?
    By dejawolf in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM
  4. Mystery of Saturn's Two-Faced Moon Solved
    By tzh in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •