Notices
Results 1 to 55 of 55

Thread: Is it really that good to be rich?

  1. #1 Is it really that good to be rich? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14
    I was thinking that I wouldn't actually want to win the lottery. This is because I feel that money would loose its value to me. I actualy enjoy working then getting rewarded and slowly building up money. If it was all given to me for free, then I would loose interest in working. Does anyone feel the same.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,583
    Not me. I'll take winning money over working for it any day. Have you actually been part of the work force for a while or just venturing into it? Work does have a certain reward like the thrill of accomplishment but it can also wear you down and contribute to your stress level. I do think that winning money after being a part of the workforce is an advantage. At least you know and appreciate what kind of effort it takes to amass an equivalent to whatever winnings comes your way.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    14
    I feel that winning a large sum of money could clear up many problems and stresses that an average person might currently have, but I think it would bring the person into another area where different problems and stresses exists.

    I believe that read somewhere that rich people suffer from stress and their own problems just as much as the average wage person.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Guest
    Money is not so important to me, as long as I can pay the bills repair the house and have a holiday now and again..

    I do not buy lottery tickets, the chances of winning are stupidly against, so if I wanted to be a lottery millionaire I'd join the board of Camelot.

    It would seem a lot of lottery winners get screwed up after winning, so all you are probably winning is a suitcase full of trouble, IF the prize money were limited to about 10,000 pounds but maybe 500 or so each week I think it would be more useful.

    And anyway, I must be a rich bastard, I've got piles...

    Also I'm one pound short of ten million, I've got the 7 zero's.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    The reason why winning the lottery is bad is because of the TAXES. They tax basically most of it away.

    Most people who win it tend to be generally unprepared for the new obligations tax-wise and such, nor do they know what to DO with all that money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman llantas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    42
    Yeah, winning lottery money makes it pretty difficult ot deal with taxes. But most people who are consistently rich know how to get around that.

    And as far as being rich consistently is concerned, it is not all good or all bad. It really depends on your values, and what you want out of life. Personally, I think being rich would be fabulous.
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen F Roberts

    http://godisimaginary.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by llantas
    Yeah, winning lottery money makes it pretty difficult ot deal with taxes. But most people who are consistently rich know how to get around that.

    And as far as being rich consistently is concerned, it is not all good or all bad. It really depends on your values, and what you want out of life. Personally, I think being rich would be fabulous.
    Totally. You have no idea how many books I'd end up buying...<.< >.>
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Hmmm... 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8
    I'd follow you, pissing it all away on literary addiction...horrible waste of that green...

    Generally, if you're solid in who you are and what you believe in, money won't compromise that. Also, I've worked as a landscaper, roofer and superintendant of a housing complex for the 5 years I have been pusuing degrees, and I have never lusted for some hand of God pile of money to put me on a couch for the rest of my life. I hope to work the rest of my life. Hell, if you love what you do, it isn't really work, it's really passion. Stress can be dealt with, uselessness can't...well, not without work...

    Without stats, most lottery winners go bankrupt, so I agree with Jbarrington: I can't imagine how hollow life would be if I never had to overcome an obstacle to attain satisfaction. Rich folks have to fill that void...but then again, money can buy some pretty cool distractions...
    The propensity of humanity to seek verity and knowledge is centered around an arrogance that places us outside of nature. The only truth I know (and this is certainly recapitulation of Nietzsche's "Genealogy...") is that of emotional reaction. All else is subject to fallibility. We can only humble our egos and hope, through discussion, to reach common understanding through liberated sciences. God might have space...?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Bachelors Degree charles brough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    joplin MO USA
    Posts
    425
    This subject is related to our obsession with our “pursuit of Happiness secular ideal” Isn’t it supposed to be guaranteed in the Constitution or something? But how DO you pursue it? They picture Heaven as streets of gold, always having what you want, being treated with respect, etc. Wouldn’t that get dreary really fast? I remember driving through the South a few months ago and I got so tired of “beautiful scenery” that I longed for some desert or slum! A little of “streets of gold” and I would want asphault again.

    So, money cannot buy happiness. You cannot achieve it by pursing it. People who pursue pleasure often end up addicted to something that is destructive to their lives.

    With myself, I know that I feel happiest when I can appreciate what I have and compare it with what others do not have and with what ordeals I have had to go through to achieve it. That, however, does not last and again we have to move on. We have to have had tough times to appreciate the good times.

    I once explained all this to a fellow who was waiting to die so he could go to Heaven and be with his deceased wife. Why wait to die? He should move on and find another wife. Butg he was not happy with my atheistic suggestion!!
    :-D
    charles, http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com
    Brough,
    civilization-overview (dot) com

    --------------------
    There are no accidents, just someone taking too much risk. . . (CB)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Raglan Road
    Posts
    34
    I'll take winning money over working for it any day
    I can't even begin to tell you how much statements like this sicken me. People who don't work for their money are, in effect, worthless.
    Let me warm up first....don't want to pull a hammy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus
    I'll take winning money over working for it any day
    I can't even begin to tell you how much statements like this sicken me. People who don't work for their money are, in effect, worthless.
    Completely missed the point. My statement isn't about not working....do the math. If I made $50k a year for 20 years I would have grossed a million. I wouldn't have it in my bank account but if a million landed in my lap all of a sudden I would certainly prefer that.

    Are you assuming that every person who wins money doesn't work or ceases to work? Certain jobs are dirty, low paying or involve personal risk....I think anyone in those positions would rather win money. And who's to say once you've won the money that quitting work is automatic. There are plenty of ways to work with bags of money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus
    I'll take winning money over working for it any day
    I can't even begin to tell you how much statements like this sicken me. People who don't work for their money are, in effect, worthless.
    Resent much?

    I would appreciate a good dose of money - I like wealth, expensive food, wine, clothes and the likes. Not because of the value it presents, money-wise, but because of its quality.

    In itself I do not find money a motivator for anything, realy. I am far more motivated by intellectual challenges.

    To equate a worthy life to a life invested in labour seems slavery to me.

    Mr U
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: Is it really that good to be rich? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by slippy88
    I was thinking that I wouldn't actually want to win the lottery. This is because I feel that money would loose its value to me. I actualy enjoy working then getting rewarded and slowly building up money. If it was all given to me for free, then I would loose interest in working. Does anyone feel the same.

    Party!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore Kabooom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    102
    Just because your a multi-millionaire doesn't mean that all of the sudden there is no reason to work. I would love to win the lottery, though I would never play because it's mathematically retarded. The reason I would love to win the lottery is because it allows you to move onto bigger and better things. Start up a big business, follow the dream of making your flying car, build that castle you always wanted and be the king of Camelot (that made me laugh haha), fund a cancer research firm, and etcetera.

    I would personally take a small vacation then get right to business. It's not like you can ever have too much money, because no matter how much money you have it can always be used for something. I prefer to make more with it .

    And the part about people getting screwed up from winning the lottery, I think this goes well with absolute power corrupts absolutely (who said that?). Also, if you play the lottery, you likely aren't the most intelligent person OR you find the lottery quite a bit of fun. If it's the former you shouldn't be getting that much money, because you would have no idea what to do with it simply because you weren't capable of making it on your own.
    WHAT?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16
    I'm from England so we don't have to pay any taxes and can get it as a lump sum! I personally don't see why winning millions of pounds/dollars would cause that much of a problem to someone. I'm sure most people who are half inteliigent won't let it ruin their lives, but instaed enhance them.

    I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to win the lottery. I almost feel that it is because of a lack of imagination! Let's say you won the 120 million pounds Euromillions jackpot a while back. You would be bound by almost nohting. Whatever you wanted you could do. Think of all the amazing travelling and adventures through various continents, all of the time you would have to learn about science, math, etc..take up hobbies. Work in a job because you loved it and not neccesarily because it paid well. The parties, the experiences. I could go on. You only live once, life is about broadening your horizons before you die and that's it so why not do all those great things first?

    Yet some would rather do the same job for 20 years, 9am - 5pm, rat race....

    I don't understand.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    I don't get the people who wouldn't want free money. Hell yeah I'd want to win it, the more the merrier! Like someone else mentioned money can alleviate a lot of potential problems in your life - your future security, your children and grandchildren going to college, and so on. Who wouldn't want that security to provide for their loved ones?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17 If I won the lottery..... 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    I think first of all id be able to afford to buy a house (a nice one with a pool etc....then id get myself a ferrari) id make sure my faimly and my wifes family are okay for money; id go on a world cruise with the missus then i would pay £80,000 to Oxford aviation training to get my commercial pilots licence, then as soon as id have my dream job, id set up a few charities, donate the rest of the money to others. Id have my house so no need to pay rent or mortgage and id have my dream job so i wouldnt need money after that, other than what the airline would pay me.

    oh, but id make sure i have some kind of trust fund set up for my future children to go to a private school instead of having to mix with some of the violent uneducated council estate trash you seem to come accross in state schools these days.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18 Re: If I won the lottery..... 
    Forum Junior Kolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    246
    If I won the lottery?.......


    Savings account - No house - No car - No liabilities. I would move around alot, traveling as cheaply as possible. I would take the lowest airfares I could find and stay in hotels/motels with minimal cost. Given the appropriate environment, I would sleep outside. Anonymimity would be key. I would most likely change my name. I would draw as little attention to myself as possible. Under such conditions, a lottery win would hold steady for the remaining duration of my life.

    And in return - I would travel the world seeing and learning anything and everything my brain could withstand. Not as a tourist but as a cypher. An invisible man. And I would travel alone.






    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    oh, but id make sure i have some kind of trust fund set up for my future children to go to a private school instead of having to mix with some of the violent uneducated council estate trash you seem to come accross in state schools these days.

    I was one of those kids.

    ...............Good times.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Why wouldnt you want to be rich?
    You can get what ever makes you happy
    Power, Knowledge anything.
    As for me id buy every book on the planet on science to learn everything i can
    ID ALSO BUY NUCLEAR WEAPONS AND HOLD THE ENTIRE WORLD HOSTAGE MOHAHAHA
    uh what we are on the air? oh shit :wink:
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Well i'm soaked to the bones, i can't feel my fingers, my back hurts and i don't get paid until monday. I've been running sand and cement + bricks up three flits of stairs all day and if the prick im working with saids pugup one more time i'm going to kill him.
    I'm going to go and buy a lottery ticket now, i don't care what the odds are, i don't care how much they tax me and i certainly don't care how many "rich" problems i get.
    When i win, i'll post again and tell you all about my new found problems, trust me im looking forward to it
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Guest
    If you want to become a lottery millionaire - join the Board of Camelot. Well someone has to win it, good luck!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Ph.D. Steve Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
    Posts
    782
    Hello!

    I will give the whole lotta money to my cousin. So, I don't own but have it kind on disposal.

    Steve
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    They say that money dosn't buy happyness, but it get's you so much closer
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    To the bounds. Which break. You don't want to be there when they do that. But you will, cause you are them.

    The happiest guy who lives is the guy who hasn't been happy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    To the bounds. Which break. You don't want to be there when they do that. But you will, cause you are them.

    The happiest guy who lives is the guy who hasn't been happy.
    i like that
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    They say that money dosn't buy happyness, but it get's you so much closer
    yep, but say if your earning the money by doing some job you really hate then even if u have the best house, car, etc you're still going to be unhappy with life... :?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    They say that money dosn't buy happyness, but it get's you so much closer
    yep, but say if your earning the money by doing some job you really hate then even if u have the best house, car, etc you're still going to be unhappy with life... :?
    Well I haven't met the guy yet who would hate to win the lottery. That's why they play it after all - in the hopes of winning.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Yes, but i think a lot of people like to think that being rich would be horrible and that they are so lucky to be poor. That thought makes them happy. :wink:
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus
    I'll take winning money over working for it any day
    I can't even begin to tell you how much statements like this sicken me. People who don't work for their money are, in effect, worthless.
    Resent much?

    I would appreciate a good dose of money - I like wealth, expensive food, wine, clothes and the likes. Not because of the value it presents, money-wise, but because of its quality.

    In itself I do not find money a motivator for anything, realy. I am far more motivated by intellectual challenges.

    To equate a worthy life to a life invested in labour seems slavery to me.

    Mr U
    The happiest people in the world are those who love their work and would do it regardless of whether they get rich from it or not. Its called passion.

    Jewels, fast cars, fancy apartments, etc are all just minor amusements at best. These are not the things that make a trully interesting life, a trully evolved human.

    We all want money to some degree because it gives us more choices, and freedoms. People who would rather earn it themselves have an enough self confidence to believe that they can get rich without winning the lottery. Those who play the lottery do so because they can't imagine getting rich any other way. It all comes down to how you see yourself, as the warrior, or the slave.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Freshman Starry.Skies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Universe is really big...but I'm somewhere out there.
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    The reason why winning the lottery is bad is because of the TAXES. They tax basically most of it away.

    Most people who win it tend to be generally unprepared for the new obligations tax-wise and such, nor do they know what to DO with all that money.
    Yeah, I totally agree with that. Tax is a big issue and I would feel sort of wasteful if I spent it all. :P
    Science is organized knowledge; wisdom is organized life.
    -Immanuel Kant
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Guest
    So far as I know Lottery prizes (IN the UK) are not taxed, Inheritance tax may be payable after the winner has boozed themselves to death though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Greed shouldnt be considerd a sin, we are all greedy
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Greed shouldnt be considerd a sin, we are all greedy
    Greed is basically anti-social, in-efficient and counter productive.

    Using more than you need is fine when theres plenty for all, but when the crunch comes and resources are short we're looking at social conflict, civil war, and the collapse of the eco-system. It also promotes envy between people.

    People keep saying that greed is good. Thats a lie pushed out by the greedy.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Greed shouldnt be considerd a sin, we are all greedy
    Greed is basically anti-social, in-efficient and counter productive.

    Using more than you need is fine when theres plenty for all, but when the crunch comes and resources are short we're looking at social conflict, civil war, and the collapse of the eco-system. It also promotes envy between people.

    People keep saying that greed is good. Thats a lie pushed out by the greedy.
    Greed is good for sociaty. Without it the economy would collapse because companies wouldn't want to make more money, people wouldn't want to buy bigger houses forcing prices up and there wouldn't be any compotition between buisnesses
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Your right p1drobert, greed is not good, but i is part of human nature.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    159
    money is good if not in excess, taken proper care, avoided from misuse, also should respect 4 it!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37 greed 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Greed shouldnt be considerd a sin, we are all greedy
    Greed is basically anti-social, in-efficient and counter productive.

    Using more than you need is fine when theres plenty for all, but when the crunch comes and resources are short we're looking at social conflict, civil war, and the collapse of the eco-system. It also promotes envy between people.

    People keep saying that greed is good. Thats a lie pushed out by the greedy.
    Greed is good for sociaty. Without it the economy would collapse because companies wouldn't want to make more money, people wouldn't want to buy bigger houses forcing prices up and there wouldn't be any compotition between buisnesses
    If people weren't greedy why would we want house prices to keep going up. Why would we want industry to expand and build more factories, polluting the environment. If we didn't think making more, and more money was the only thing that mattered we could re-allocate resources to more important things.
    What difference does it make to a bank if it makes 10billion dollars profit, instead of 20 billion. It doesn't use that extra money for anything worthwhile. It just gives it to the shareholders, who spend it on things they don't need, on waste. The notion that the economy would collapse if you didn't persue a philosophy based on greed is nonsense. If a business makes a profit then it continues to exist. It doesn't go out of business because its not making a mega-profit.

    Building a society based on waste, and rampart consumerism will always end badly. You might not feel it now, but you will feel it. And when the crunch comes there won't be enough money in the world to change things back.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    If I won the lottery, I would first of all take a year out, travelling to third world countries and attempting to give them more water wells, power lines etc. (Would not spunk all my money on that though !! I would still want to be filthy rich when I return to England, but in the mind that I have made a good difference to the world) - Then id sit on my fat arse, invest some of the money, buy a nice big house with swimming pool, gym, etc, etc.....build the ULTIMATE computer......own some land to have my own go-kart racing track. Have my own mini yacht in the thames; have a holiday home in the south of france. Buy a Ferrari F50, then I would spend 60 grand and study for my airline transport pilot's licence and get my dream job as a pilot. :-)
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    If I won the lottery, I would first of all take a year out, travelling to third world countries and attempting to give them more water wells, power lines etc. (Would not spunk all my money on that though !! I would still want to be filthy rich when I return to England, but in the mind that I have made a good difference to the world) - Then id sit on my fat arse, invest some of the money, buy a nice big house with swimming pool, gym, etc, etc.....build the ULTIMATE computer......own some land to have my own go-kart racing track. Have my own mini yacht in the thames; have a holiday home in the south of france. Buy a Ferrari F50, then I would spend 60 grand and study for my airline transport pilot's licence and get my dream job as a pilot. :-)
    IN other words you want to become a carbon gorilla, I suggest you buy a cycling track instead, - more power lines = more pollution, - swimming pool - huh! taking away more green and replacing it with concrete - Loe I hope you never win the lottery! - I hope I win it instead, then I can have that ferrari, uh ? what am I saying.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    I recently saw an interview of a man who started his own company. He was a mountain climber who could not find the kind of gear he wanted, so he started making his own. He started making gear for other climbers, and one thing led to another and he became very successful.

    In the interview, the reporter asked him about his company being worth $500 million dollars, and would he ever sell it. His response went something like this: "Why? What would I do with the money? I don't buy stocks or investments, I don't even have a savings account. I give away most of yearly salary. It's great...I can't be bribed"

    I thought about that for a second. I've never really wanted to be super-rich, but what a great thing...I can't be bribed. No matter how much money someone offers you, to do something you don't really want to do, you could just tell him to kiss your ass.

    I would also like to have enough money to do whatever I wanted. For example, after hurricane Katrina, it killed me to see all those people at the superdome suffering. I would have loved to be able to hit my intercom and say "Jenkins, call proctor and gamble and find out how we can make a purchase of $100,000 worth of diapers...all sizes. Then call Coca-cola and find out about bottled water, then call Bell helcopter and see about renting 20 cargo helicopters....I don't care about flight restrictions...fuck it..we'll pay the fines. I want food and water on the ground in less than 12 hours."
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Actually, if I was living in America when hurricane Katrina struck, id have been there like a shot with food and water.....and selling it at extortianate prices. After all, that is how one becomes rich, by taking the monopoly and making a profit out of necessity.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42 Re: greed 
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Greed shouldnt be considerd a sin, we are all greedy
    Greed is basically anti-social, in-efficient and counter productive.

    Using more than you need is fine when theres plenty for all, but when the crunch comes and resources are short we're looking at social conflict, civil war, and the collapse of the eco-system. It also promotes envy between people.

    People keep saying that greed is good. Thats a lie pushed out by the greedy.
    Greed is good for sociaty. Without it the economy would collapse because companies wouldn't want to make more money, people wouldn't want to buy bigger houses forcing prices up and there wouldn't be any compotition between buisnesses
    If people weren't greedy why would we want house prices to keep going up. Why would we want industry to expand and build more factories, polluting the environment. If we didn't think making more, and more money was the only thing that mattered we could re-allocate resources to more important things.
    What difference does it make to a bank if it makes 10billion dollars profit, instead of 20 billion. It doesn't use that extra money for anything worthwhile. It just gives it to the shareholders, who spend it on things they don't need, on waste. The notion that the economy would collapse if you didn't persue a philosophy based on greed is nonsense. If a business makes a profit then it continues to exist. It doesn't go out of business because its not making a mega-profit.

    Building a society based on waste, and rampart consumerism will always end badly. You might not feel it now, but you will feel it. And when the crunch comes there won't be enough money in the world to change things back.
    Life without Greed would be very boring as it has a very big impact on our lives though it is not seen as that. People long for money, is this not greed? people long for food, is this not greed? people long for fun, is this not greed? greed is an everyday concept which is important in all of our lives, the idea that we need to expand what we have to make life better is greed. If there was no greed we wouldn't take risks because there would be no point and the economy would collapse, people would no longer go and buy better things driving businesses too the ground and destroying industry. Greed is an neccessity
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Longing for food is not greed. Wanting too much food, just for no reason when you do not actually require that amount to survive is greed. Wanting more money than you could possibly need is greed. Wanting enough money to survive is not.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    Longing for food is not greed. Wanting too much food, just for no reason when you do not actually require that amount to survive is greed. Wanting more money than you could possibly need is greed. Wanting enough money to survive is not.
    what about the obesced people? greedy or not? thrill seekers, greedy or not? the rich people, greedy or not? the politions, greedy or not? the fact is that greed is deeply entwined into our sociaty that it plays a vital role in keeping sociaty afloat as it is what drives these people, without it, what's too stop them from getting bored of life and commiting suicide?
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Well yes, greed is a big part of society, but i dont think society would be worse without it... and i doubt non greedy, non selfish people are going to be bored...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    Well yes, greed is a big part of society, but i dont think society would be worse without it... and i doubt non greedy, non selfish people are going to be bored...
    i am greedy, i am greedy for knowlage. without my greed i doubt i would study as hard or with the same passion that i do know, without greed people wouldn't strive towards goals with the same enthusiasm and it may take a hell of a long time to gain that target.
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Greedy for knowledge is different to being greedy for money. Greedy for knowledge is good thing, for money or fame or stuff like that, its not.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    Greedy for knowledge is different to being greedy for money. Greedy for knowledge is good thing, for money or fame or stuff like that, its not.
    not so, they are very alike. Greed for knowlage furthers the human race with new tecnologies etc. who finances this? who get's credit for this? money and fame are inevitable. In sociaty we have idols, famous people that have money, people see these idols and think 'how i would like to be like that' and then try to become famous and have money and by doing that they may create a new technology or build a better system. Greed is the fundamental building blocks to sociaty today and where we are.
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    And some people want to be famous just because they like all the attention. And they dont give a **** about building new technologies!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    but their fame can inspire other people, it doesn't matter what they care about
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybird
    Greedy for knowledge is different to being greedy for money. Greedy for knowledge is good thing, for money or fame or stuff like that, its not.
    not so, they are very alike. Greed for knowlage furthers the human race with new tecnologies etc. who finances this? who get's credit for this? money and fame are inevitable. In sociaty we have idols, famous people that have money, people see these idols and think 'how i would like to be like that' and then try to become famous and have money and by doing that they may create a new technology or build a better system. Greed is the fundamental building blocks to sociaty today and where we are.
    You seem confused. You seem to attribute everything to greed, and you keep saying its good. Just saying it over and over doesn't make it true, or for that matter a rational argument.
    You say greed for knowledge and greed for money are very alike. I really don't know what makes you think so. "Passion" for knowledge is considered good because it usually results in you bettering yourself.
    The argument we're making is that greed for money actually works against the individual and society. Unless you can show that greed works for society or the individual, perhaps with a good example, other than just stating that it is so, then we might be able to take you seriously.


    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    the short defanition of greed: Longing for. In human sociaty we long for things it is part of our lives. I am not confused, i am just arguing my point and it just so happens that in doing so i might have to repeat several things to get that point across. Please explain how 'greed for money' and 'greed for knowlage' are different, you can long for money and you can long for knowlage, nearly identicle apart from the substitution of knowlage for money.
    "Passion" for knowledge is considered good because it usually results in you bettering yourself
    considered good? and if i were to say that inside my head there was the 'knowlage' to make several large explosives? The greed for knowlage can also work against sociaty and individuals, the point i am making is that greed is a nessescity but it all depends on the person uses the gains
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Guest
    "Is it really good to be rich?" - Define good!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54 definitions 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    the short defanition of greed: Longing for. In human sociaty we long for things it is part of our lives. I am not confused, i am just arguing my point and it just so happens that in doing so i might have to repeat several things to get that point across. Please explain how 'greed for money' and 'greed for knowlage' are different, you can long for money and you can long for knowlage, nearly identicle apart from the substitution of knowlage for money.
    "Passion" for knowledge is considered good because it usually results in you bettering yourself
    considered good? and if i were to say that inside my head there was the 'knowlage' to make several large explosives? The greed for knowlage can also work against sociaty and individuals, the point i am making is that greed is a nessescity but it all depends on the person uses the gains
    Hmm... lets see now ..hey why don't we look up the definition of greedy ...
    hmmm.. here we are:

    from http://www.answers.com/topic/greed
    >>>
    Greed:
    An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth: “Many . . . attach to competition the stigma of selfish greed” (Henry Fawcett).

    Hmmmm.... more than one needs or deserves.... not what I would call good.

    I really don't think you can redefine words to suit your own argument and still be taken seriously.

    Regards
    Robert
    ( http://www.priority1design.com.au )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55 Re: definitions 
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert
    Hmm... lets see now ..hey why don't we look up the definition of greedy ...
    hmmm.. here we are:

    from http://www.answers.com/topic/greed
    >>>
    Greed:
    An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth: “Many . . . attach to competition the stigma of selfish greed” (Henry Fawcett).

    Hmmmm.... more than one needs or deserves.... not what I would call good.

    I really don't think you can redefine words to suit your own argument and still be taken seriously.
    yeesh man get a grip, no need to sound so B****y, i hardely thing the sarcasm was nessassary. I am not redifining words, and according to your definition of greed, we'd all be communists.
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •