Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By LuciDreaming
  • 2 Post By Neverfly
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 2 Post By Flick Montana

Thread: How hunger influences decision making and risk perception

  1. #1 How hunger influences decision making and risk perception 
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    The basis of this research is that hunger affects the decisions we make and alters our perceptions of what is acceptably risky and what isn't. (Seems intuitive to think you would take more risks to get food if you were in danger of starving to death). But of course in this society the risks we take and the decisions we make don't really centre around food any more - so this has implications for all areas of life. Should we insist that judges are properly fed before making a decision or the police/nurses/lawyers/stockbrokers etc..

    I know in my work place there is a culture of "lunch is for wimps" although I don't go along with that at all. I have my lunch on time every day, away from my desk and I take time to eat it properly and I think my company gets a better employee as a result of it. But I don't make life changing decisions about other people's lives and neither do my colleagues - what about the people that do though....


    Ascended, seagypsy and Neverfly like this.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Sleep and hunger can both affect decision making. I agree with the idea, though, that someone who has been well fed prior to making a decision is either more likely to be less cranky or less likely to be more cranky.
    Or maybe it's less likely to be cranky. Something like that.

    (Maybe I should chow down before posting.)


    Ascended and LuciDreaming like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    While the body is diverting it's energy to digesting a full meal, people are likely to be less active and less agressive.
    Beware the business lunch wherein the guy hosting the lunch is only nibbling.
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    OK. I can't think where I read it - might be UK or USA and I really can't remember. Does anyone else remember seeing something in the last few months on sentencing by judges at different times? I'm not sure whether it was time of day or day of week or total sitting hours. But it related to fatigue at least. Not so sure whether it related to hunger/ mealtimes.
    Ascended likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    My last cognitive psych module included the possible influences on decisions made by judges - but I think I know what you are talking about adelady but cant remember the specifics. I'll see if I can dig something out after my swim.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,380
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    OK. I can't think where I read it - might be UK or USA and I really can't remember. Does anyone else remember seeing something in the last few months on sentencing by judges at different times? I'm not sure whether it was time of day or day of week or total sitting hours. But it related to fatigue at least. Not so sure whether it related to hunger/ mealtimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    My last cognitive psych module included the possible influences on decisions made by judges - but I think I know what you are talking about adelady but cant remember the specifics. I'll see if I can dig something out after my swim.

    Cheers ladies, I'll remember that one, if I'm ever up in court I'll remember to make sure the judge gets a free lunch.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    I hate having a field day with someone who doesn't eat properly. When I've been working hard, I want to sit down and have a big lunch. The guys who just eat a power bar in the middle of the worksite and call it lunch drive me crazy (especially if they're the ones with the car keys).

    When I'm dealing with other people, I'm a LOT less personable when I'm hungry. I'm more likely to write up violations and less likely to be reasonable.

    I also lose a lot of focus. I met with the Governor today instead of having lunch and all I could think about was how he shakes hands like the Queen of England.
    seagypsy and Neverfly like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,512
    Isn't there an old saying to never go grocery shopping when you are hungry? The essence of the premise being that you will buy things you would never normally buy because you are hungry?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    conventional wisdom claims that: if you shop while hungry, the tendency is to get more sugery snack food
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,512
    Quote Originally Posted by jack john View Post
    well! Hypothalamus is the gland that is responsible for hungery and is hunger center of the body. When glucose falls than the normal level it is trigerred. so hypothalamus is affected after when u feel hungry. Hypothalamus controls pitituary gland which inturn affects all the glands of body to release their harmone. So, affecting hypothalamus affects all your body organs resulting into adverse affect on your body.
    Thank you. I kind of had to translate that, but I get it. Mahalo.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,512
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    conventional wisdom claims that: if you shop while hungry, the tendency is to get more sugery snack food
    I never eat the stuff. My worse sugar vice is one teaspoon in my coffee and other than that, an occasional ice cream cone. I tend however, to love fruit. Would that count as sugar?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    T
    I know in my work place there is a culture of "lunch is for wimps" although I don't go along with that at all. I have my lunch on time every day, away from my desk and I take time to eat it properly and I think my company gets a better employee as a result of it.
    Eating later than expected or missing one meal does not count as hunger, unless you are a diabetic on insulin.

    There have been studies done on the effects of fasting, using people who fast for religious reasons because this allows the studies to be done ethically. You can find the studies on Google Scholar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Bing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    T
    I know in my work place there is a culture of "lunch is for wimps" although I don't go along with that at all. I have my lunch on time every day, away from my desk and I take time to eat it properly and I think my company gets a better employee as a result of it.
    Eating later than expected or missing one meal does not count as hunger, unless you are a diabetic on insulin.

    There have been studies done on the effects of fasting, using people who fast for religious reasons because this allows the studies to be done ethically. You can find the studies on Google Scholar.
    That rather depends on what you eat Alec and what your breakfast habits are like. A high carb (ie high sugar/grain) diet leaves you depleted more quickly than a high fat diet and so in need of higher frequency of eating. Plus not many people eat a proper breakfast in the morning - in fact a quick straw poll of my colleagues revealed most of them never have breakfast (although they do count coffee as breakfast) and have their first proper meal in the evening, other than that its snack type foods and maybe a sandwich at some point.

    I am a daily faster which might sound a bit odd but I eat in a 10 hour window (between 8am and 6pm) and I eat a regular three meals because of my health but I do occasionally miss a meal and don't feel hungry as a result. Unlike my colleagues I am never hungry and never have an afternoon slump and more importantly, I feel alert and awake all day which I think is something a lot of people over 35 would like to be able to say.

    I would agree with you if everyone ate an optimal diet - a meal or two missed would be no big deal (and can be beneficial) but so few people start from a position of health in the first place that I think one missed meal does make a difference to them.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    conventional wisdom claims that: if you shop while hungry, the tendency is to get more sugery snack food
    I never eat the stuff. My worse sugar vice is one teaspoon in my coffee and other than that, an occasional ice cream cone. I tend however, to love fruit. Would that count as sugar?
    Yes.
    Fruit is mostly sugar---------fruititarians risk pancreatic cancer by living on a diet that is mostly sugar--------(eg: steve jobs)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,512
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    conventional wisdom claims that: if you shop while hungry, the tendency is to get more sugery snack food
    I never eat the stuff. My worse sugar vice is one teaspoon in my coffee and other than that, an occasional ice cream cone. I tend however, to love fruit. Would that count as sugar?
    Yes.
    Fruit is mostly sugar---------fruititarians risk pancreatic cancer by living on a diet that is mostly sugar--------(eg: steve jobs)
    Nephew just died of it..at age 38 and not a fruitarian....and from what we have learned through is journey that isn't quite true. *S*......
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 30th, 2013, 07:56 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
  3. Isnt hunger based on energy demand?
    By Raziell in forum Biology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
  4. Why is there so much world hunger?
    By kojax in forum Biology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 31st, 2009, 04:46 AM
  5. How Culture Influences Your Well-Being?
    By line in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •