Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 152 of 152
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Can people change?

  1. #101  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Lucky you- you managed to escape and become a free thinker...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by consistency View Post
    Why do I need to spoon feed you something so simple to understand?
    The reason is equally "simple": because you're making unjustified assumptions (which is par for the course for you, in fact it appears to be your forte).

    When we go to school(Compulsory education), which is forced between certain ages, we basically copy/paste the information from the text book on a piece of paper and then memorize it in our brains for a test. Its basic brainwashing. It effects exactly how we think.
    As illustrated by my comments above: it does NOT regulate how and what you think.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by missarane View Post
    Oh well the title says pretty much everything... Do you think that people can change who they are? For example: if someone has been an a**hole the first 18 years of his life, do you think he can change? Or if he cheated all his girlfriends, do you think he can be loyal to his new one?

    I personally do not think that people can change, they can just mask their true personality for a while.

    I`m looking forward to see your thoughts about this.
    Getting back to the OP . . .

    I'm not sure. I know that as an old man I'm a different person in some ways than I was when I was young. But I still have many faults and many of those faults are ones I had when I was young. I just don't know. I'm always skeptical of death row inmates that have found religion. Of course I'm skeptical of anyone that all-of-sudden finds religion, but that's just the atheist inside of me.
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by missarane View Post
    Oh well the title says pretty much everything... Do you think that people can change who they are? For example: if someone has been an a**hole the first 18 years of his life, do you think he can change? Or if he cheated all his girlfriends, do you think he can be loyal to his new one?

    I personally do not think that people can change, they can just mask their true personality for a while.

    I`m looking forward to see your thoughts about this.
    Getting back to the OP. I think most people don't change much at all. But sometimes a person might have a life changing experience that does change them. I would never hold my breath hoping someone will change. Because they have an equal chance to change for the worse, if they do change. Some people are criminals of opportunity, for the most part they live a non-criminal life, until an opportunity presents itself, then they go for it. Anyway you look at it they are still criminal and all criminals cause harm to those around them and the society in general.

    Question - If everybody that has ever committed a criminal act were to be killed right now. How many people would be left on Earth?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Forum Freshman Imperious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    I think it all really depends on the person and there willpower ext.
    It also varies on what they are trying to change from/to, some things are harder to change with in general as some are extremely easy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Getting back to the OP. I think most people don't change much at all. But sometimes a person might have a life changing experience that does change them. I would never hold my breath hoping someone will change. Because they have an equal chance to change for the worse, if they do change. Some people are criminals of opportunity, for the most part they live a non-criminal life, until an opportunity presents itself, then they go for it. Anyway you look at it they are still criminal and all criminals cause harm to those around them and the society in general.

    Question - If everybody that has ever committed a criminal act were to be killed right now. How many people would be left on Earth?
    There would likely be a lot of parent-less newborns on the planet.

    I don't think it is really that they don't change, but that the changes are subtle and gradual. If you are around someone all the time you may not notice the changes in them, but if you go away from them for a long time, when you meet them again the changes (not just physical) whether for better or worse as you stated, would be more obvious. We also have to take into account that our perspectives change. But no one changes entirely without serious brain reconfiguration.

    My first husband and I didn't speak or see each other for over 10 years after our divorce. And he did seem to have changed when we spoke again, but the only thing that change was that he learned to be a little more conniving than he was before and maybe less violent. But I know I have changed a lot since we last saw each other. He comments on it all the time and admits to actually being afraid of me now because I am not as emotionally frail as I was when we were married. I have grown wiser to recognizing when someone is trying to manipulate me and I have a better self esteem than I did then. I am much stronger than I was.

    So I guess change varies from one person to the next depending on their experiences. But the question wasn't how likely someone is to change, but was it possible that they do. And it is always possible. You can just never predict when it will happen, to what degree it will happen, or what the motivation for it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by consistency View Post
    Why do I need to spoon feed you something so simple to understand?
    The reason is equally "simple": because you're making unjustified assumptions (which is par for the course for you, in fact it appears to be your forte).

    When we go to school(Compulsory education), which is forced between certain ages, we basically copy/paste the information from the text book on a piece of paper and then memorize it in our brains for a test. Its basic brainwashing. It effects exactly how we think.
    As illustrated by my comments above: it does NOT regulate how and what you think.
    LOL. Yea right and when was the last time you were in school?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Take for example my temper. It's still there and I get angry way too easily. But now that I am older I can control it better and it hasn't caused me a problem for over twenty years. But have I changed?

    I'm more tolerant of others now but there is still some intolerance there lurking beneath the surface I think.

    I used to smoke years ago. I don't anymore but I still want one sometimes.

    Have I changed? Or just suppressed some bad behavior?
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    34
    I don't think people change simply because of a change in mentality. "Changing" is just a person trying to adjust his behavior due to the opinions of others or just because of the environment; we are all subconsciously affected by peer pressure 1 war or another. The only real changing occurs when you get egregious brain damage as that is usually irreversible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Take for example my temper. It's still there and I get angry way too easily. But now that I am older I can control it better and it hasn't caused me a problem for over twenty years. But have I changed?

    I'm more tolerant of others now but there is still some intolerance there lurking beneath the surface I think.

    I used to smoke years ago. I don't anymore but I still want one sometimes.

    Have I changed? Or just suppressed some bad behavior?
    The bad behavior I benefited most by suppressing it was being gullible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by consistency View Post
    LOL. Yea right and when was the last time you were in school?
    Oh, nice rebuttal.
    Well reasoned and logically laid out.
    About 12 years ago.
    What's your point?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewEinstein View Post
    I don't think people change simply because of a change in mentality.
    Why not?
    What do you mean by "change" if you're excluding an alteration in "mentality"?

    "Changing" is just a person trying to adjust his behavior due to the opinions of others or just because of the environment
    That's ONE aspect of change. But not the only one.

    The only real changing occurs when you get egregious brain damage as that is usually irreversible.
    Nope.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    The bad behavior I benefited most by suppressing it was being gullible.
    Well, we all want to believe that people we love have changed for the better. I'm just not sure it happens. I think we can suppress bad behavior so that we fit into civilization a little better but real change? I just don't know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    The bad behavior I benefited most by suppressing it was being gullible.
    Well, we all want to believe that people we love have changed for the better. I'm just not sure it happens. I think we can suppress bad behavior so that we fit into civilization a little better but real change? I just don't know.
    My sister has. I'm quite impressed with her now even though more than 10 years ago, she was as much a crank religio fundy as many of the nutcases we see here. But when she got a taste of what she dished out because the church she belonged to shunned her for remarrying after having been divorced and insisted her son was possessed by the devil or mentally ill because he came out that he was gay, she had an eye opening experience. She didn't become atheist but she has a much stronger understanding of what it means to accept people as they are. She no longer considers herself Christian because she feels the people in her church were simply obeying their book and now that she feels that ideology is cruel and too judgmental. She is a kinder person now, and a proponent of gay rights now even though she used to say things along the line of "they need to be locked in institutions, kept away from children, etc etc..."

    She and I actually get along pretty well now. Probably a combination of us both changing for the better over the past decade.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    If humans couldn't change, they would still be living in caves.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    Can a seed change? If its in a jar and stays in a jar its not likely to. But a seed has multiple potential states depending on the environment, under a specific set of conditions the seed can grow into a flower, that flower can also grow or wither depending on the environment. With humans, some aspects change over time others don't change as much, it depends. If you go to an old age house and talk to a 90 year old man, odds are you would find the same person as a boy at age 9 in the 1920s quite different, if you compared that person at age 40 and age 41, if his environment doesn't change odds are the two will be more similar than not.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    The bad behavior I benefited most by suppressing it was being gullible.
    Well, we all want to believe that people we love have changed for the better. I'm just not sure it happens. I think we can suppress bad behavior so that we fit into civilization a little better but real change? I just don't know.
    My sister has. I'm quite impressed with her now even though more than 10 years ago, she was as much a crank religio fundy as many of the nutcases we see here. But when she got a taste of what she dished out because the church she belonged to shunned her for remarrying after having been divorced and insisted her son was possessed by the devil or mentally ill because he came out that he was gay, she had an eye opening experience. She didn't become atheist but she has a much stronger understanding of what it means to accept people as they are. She no longer considers herself Christian because she feels the people in her church were simply obeying their book and now that she feels that ideology is cruel and too judgmental. She is a kinder person now, and a proponent of gay rights now even though she used to say things along the line of "they need to be locked in institutions, kept away from children, etc etc..."

    She and I actually get along pretty well now. Probably a combination of us both changing for the better over the past decade.
    So, maybe there is real change in people. Good for her!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #118  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    If humans couldn't change, they would still be living in caves.
    Neverfly and I have decided if we win the lottery, we wanna move into some nice 3 story deep cave in Montana. Our only real challenge will be figuring out how to get reliable internet service to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #119  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    34
    Humans don't change, they ADAPT
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #120  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    If humans couldn't change, they would still be living in caves.
    Well, of course. Over time with evolution.

    But I think the OP was about an individual changing behavior over the course of their one life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #121  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewEinstein View Post
    Humans don't change, they ADAPT
    adapt is a synonym of change
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #122  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewEinstein View Post
    Humans don't change, they ADAPT
    Please, spell out the difference for us.
    And provide evidence that change doesn't occur.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #123  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    Humans don't change, they ADAPT
    My few White hairs is not because Im getting old, its an adaptation, Im adapting and gradually getting more and more camouflage for walking out in the snow
    seagypsy and Neverfly like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #124  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    34
    Our bodies go through a life cycle; still doesn't mean our psyche changes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #125  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Maybe if you bothered to read the entirety of thread you wouldn't persist in making unfounded claims.
    But that's up to you.
    The links given in post #38 might help.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #126  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    548
    Fundamental nature of human being never changes. It is permanent as we are part of nature not outside from nature. We can not change law of nature or cannot modify them.
    If nature make a person, it made its properties. These properties are permanent.

    Behavior of Person is in general determined by two things

    X ( Physical brain ) * Y (Social experience )= XY (behavior of person )

    Effect of X can not be removed.
    If a person become Mother Teresa with some social experience or from viewing bad conditions of humanity ,
    No one can become Mother Teresa with same experience until value of X is same to Mother Teresa

    If there is change in my behavior after hearing a lesson from a person,
    i.e. X(My brain/other physical organ ) will take effect from Y(Lesson from person )
    & XY (Output i.e. my changed behavior )
    You can not expect same change from a person whose X value is different
    Every one can not become Abraham Lincoln , even if he gets same social /environments conditions what Abraham Lincoln got
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #127  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    Fundamental nature of human being never changes. It is permanent as we are part of nature not outside from nature. We can not change law of nature or cannot modify them.
    If nature make a person, it made its properties. These properties are permanent.
    Emergent properties are never permanent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #128  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    Fundamental nature of human being never changes. It is permanent as we are part of nature not outside from nature. We can not change law of nature or cannot modify them.
    If nature make a person, it made its properties. These properties are permanent.
    Emergent properties are never permanent.
    In stead of giving such game of words
    share some logic

    If you have doubt upon theory and do not agree
    Say clear , Upon is wrong and does not apply practically
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #129  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    In stead of giving such game of words
    It is not a game. At times, I can be a bit concise.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    share some logic

    If you have doubt upon theory and do not agree
    Say clear , Upon is wrong and does not apply practically
    It is not doubt upon theory. Rather, it is doubt that you are examining all of the current relevant theories. You seem, instead, to be examining some theory while neglecting others.
    Complex emergence; or emergence of complex structures is never permanent. It is a brief state of resisting entropy but entropy always wins.

    From the moment you're born, the battle with entropy begins. The battle takes its toll and you age, as tailends of your DNA get snipped shorter and shorter in order to provide material for repairing damaged or mis-encoded DNA strands.
    Raw materials taken into the body are used as base molecules for construction of a vast and complex system, but variables in what you ingest, what reaches every part of the body (Remember, there is no intelligence to it: You breathe in air, some of that air contains oxygen molecules, which- absorbed by aveoli in the lungs- are introduced into the bloodstream where they pretty much just bang around like bumper cars until they click with something that reacts to them) and what toxins can alter system processes can all play into entropy.

    All people change because of this entropy. The changes are minor and subtle, but build up over time. At 15 years old, you were a different person than you at 30 years old. Not just older- a different person as we define personality. The changes were slow and subtle so anyone close to you would not notice the difference. But you are a different person, nonetheless. Remarkably similar in many ways to that person you were at 15, but that person no longer exists. (It's one flaw in the claim of people having souls...)

    Eventually, entropy wins the war. The complex system finally breaks down and the "personality" ceases to exist on any level.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #130  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    How about this example:

    I meet a woman and we hook up, and end up in a relationship. I find out she lies about seemingly small things and has no problem pulling money out of my wallet without asking. Can I ever expect her to change even when I catch her being a thief and lying to me?

    As long as I continue the relationship, she will not change. Will she change in a new relationship with someone else (knowing that her behavior caused a past problem)?

    I wouldn't bet any money that she would change. I believe she will always be a lying thief, even if she suppresses the bad behavior most of the time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #131  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    Fundamental nature of human being never changes. It is permanent as we are part of nature not outside from nature. We can not change law of nature or cannot modify them.
    Way to miss the point.
    We're talking about the character/ behaviour/ etc of a person.

    Behavior of Person is in general determined by two things
    X ( Physical brain ) * Y (Social experience )= XY (behavior of person )
    Effect of X can not be removed.
    So, using your own argument: we KNOW that the physical brain alters. Ergo the behaviour changes.

    If there is change in my behavior after hearing a lesson from a person,
    i.e. X(My brain/other physical organ ) will take effect from Y(Lesson from person )
    & XY (Output i.e. my changed behavior )
    So behaviour (character) DOES change?

    What, exactly, are you trying to say?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #132  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    How about this example:

    I meet a woman and we hook up, and end up in a relationship. I find out she lies about seemingly small things and has no problem pulling money out of my wallet without asking. Can I ever expect her to change even when I catch her being a thief and lying to me?

    As long as I continue the relationship, she will not change. Will she change in a new relationship with someone else (knowing that her behavior caused a past problem)?

    I wouldn't bet any money that she would change. I believe she will always be a lying thief, even if she suppresses the bad behavior most of the time.
    She can change, stop keeping your wallet in easily accessible areas.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #133  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    How about this example:

    I meet a woman and we hook up, and end up in a relationship. I find out she lies about seemingly small things and has no problem pulling money out of my wallet without asking. Can I ever expect her to change even when I catch her being a thief and lying to me?

    As long as I continue the relationship, she will not change. Will she change in a new relationship with someone else (knowing that her behavior caused a past problem)?

    I wouldn't bet any money that she would change. I believe she will always be a lying thief, even if she suppresses the bad behavior most of the time.
    She can change, stop keeping your wallet in easily accessible areas.
    She was a sociopath with a genius for getting what she wanted. My car keys were another object I had to worry about. The rest of the list is much to long to list on this topic. The best way to deal with her was to put 1600 miles between us. Also, I know her history and she has a long list of failures. My biggest mistake was thinking she wanted to change. Boy did she have me fooled.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #134  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    How about this example:

    I meet a woman and we hook up, and end up in a relationship. I find out she lies about seemingly small things and has no problem pulling money out of my wallet without asking. Can I ever expect her to change even when I catch her being a thief and lying to me?

    As long as I continue the relationship, she will not change. Will she change in a new relationship with someone else (knowing that her behavior caused a past problem)?

    I wouldn't bet any money that she would change. I believe she will always be a lying thief, even if she suppresses the bad behavior most of the time.
    She can change, stop keeping your wallet in easily accessible areas.
    She was a sociopath with a genius for getting what she wanted. My car keys were another object I had to worry about. The rest of the list is much to long to list on this topic. The best way to deal with her was to put 1600 miles between us. Also, I know her history and she has a long list of failures. My biggest mistake was thinking she wanted to change. Boy did she have me fooled.
    A person has to have a reason to change. If they perceive themselves to be successful all the time then there is no reason for them to change. And a clinical sociopath has no empathy for anyone so there isn't really any event that can make them feel remorse for their past behaviors. Being a sociopath is like having superhuman powers that prevent you from ever being hurt by anyone and eliminates any weaknesses (such as empathy) that prevent you from getting what you want/need by any means necessary. Clinical sociopathy creates the ultimate survivor. And once you enter that state of mind, there is very little anyone or anything can do that is ethical to change their perspective. I have had ideas of corrective training, but it would require me to become a clinical sociopath myself to do it. Which would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #135  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    A person has to have a reason to change. If they perceive themselves to be successful all the time then there is no reason for them to change. And a clinical sociopath has no empathy for anyone so there isn't really any event that can make them feel remorse for their past behaviors. Being a sociopath is like having superhuman powers that prevent you from ever being hurt by anyone and eliminates any weaknesses (such as empathy) that prevent you from getting what you want/need by any means necessary. Clinical sociopathy creates the ultimate survivor. And once you enter that state of mind, there is very little anyone or anything can do that is ethical to change their perspective. I have had ideas of corrective training, but it would require me to become a clinical sociopath myself to do it. Which would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
    Like I said, putting a good distance between us helped a great deal. She's 35 and has had 7 kids by 5 daddies and she's a terible mother. I heard the courts ordered her to have her tubes tied, thank you for small favors.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #136  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    A person has to have a reason to change. If they perceive themselves to be successful all the time then there is no reason for them to change. And a clinical sociopath has no empathy for anyone so there isn't really any event that can make them feel remorse for their past behaviors. Being a sociopath is like having superhuman powers that prevent you from ever being hurt by anyone and eliminates any weaknesses (such as empathy) that prevent you from getting what you want/need by any means necessary. Clinical sociopathy creates the ultimate survivor. And once you enter that state of mind, there is very little anyone or anything can do that is ethical to change their perspective. I have had ideas of corrective training, but it would require me to become a clinical sociopath myself to do it. Which would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
    Like I said, putting a good distance between us helped a great deal. She's 35 and has had 7 kids by 5 daddies and she's a terible mother. I heard the courts ordered her to have her tubes tied, thank you for small favors.
    While I do agree with the courts decision, I'm surprised they got away with it. Many people would scream that it is unconstitutional to forcibly remove someone's ability to procreate. I was denied the right to have my tubes tide when I was 20 because they said I was too young.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #137  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    A person has to have a reason to change. If they perceive themselves to be successful all the time then there is no reason for them to change. And a clinical sociopath has no empathy for anyone so there isn't really any event that can make them feel remorse for their past behaviors. Being a sociopath is like having superhuman powers that prevent you from ever being hurt by anyone and eliminates any weaknesses (such as empathy) that prevent you from getting what you want/need by any means necessary. Clinical sociopathy creates the ultimate survivor. And once you enter that state of mind, there is very little anyone or anything can do that is ethical to change their perspective. I have had ideas of corrective training, but it would require me to become a clinical sociopath myself to do it. Which would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
    Like I said, putting a good distance between us helped a great deal. She's 35 and has had 7 kids by 5 daddies and she's a terible mother. I heard the courts ordered her to have her tubes tied, thank you for small favors.
    While I do agree with the courts decision, I'm surprised they got away with it. Many people would scream that it is unconstitutional to forcibly remove someone's ability to procreate. I was denied the right to have my tubes tide when I was 20 because they said I was too young.
    From what I know of her she wasn't able or willing to take care of any of them. So I think the courts had a legitimate reason to do it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #138  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Like I said, putting a good distance between us helped a great deal. She's 35 and has had 7 kids by 5 daddies and she's a terible mother. I heard the courts ordered her to have her tubes tied, thank you for small favors.
    Some people are crazy, yes. But she did not change the way you wanted her to change. This does not mean she does not change over time.

    Perhaps the O.P. would be phrased: "Can people change by influence to become more of what you want them to be?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #139  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Like I said, putting a good distance between us helped a great deal. She's 35 and has had 7 kids by 5 daddies and she's a terible mother. I heard the courts ordered her to have her tubes tied, thank you for small favors.
    Some people are crazy, yes. But she did not change the way you wanted her to change. This does not mean she does not change over time.

    Perhaps the O.P. would be phrased: "Can people change by influence to become more of what you want them to be?"
    I had many conversations with her about changing her life for the better. She would always just lie to me telling me what she thought I waned to hear and then go about her bad business as if what she just said didn't mean anything to her. If she did any changing it was for the worse. I didn't want anything for her except to have a better life. The fact is she had a very self distructive lifestyle and she had 7 kids that someone else has to take care of and there's a good chance most of her kids will never know or even ever meet their brothers and sisters. How sad is that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #140  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    It's pretty common, really. And you said it-I didn't want anything for her except to have a better life. You wanted her to change by your definition of "better."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #141  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    It's pretty common, really. And you said it-I didn't want anything for her except to have a better life. You wanted her to change by your definition of "better."
    She knew her life wasn't very good and she admitted she had big problems. She was smart enough that she would have done well going back to school. But taking advantage of men was what she was very good at. I think she believed school would be to boring for her to handle. After all how can you go from being a major drama queen to a student and working a regular job and full time mother?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #142  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    480
    When we go to school(Compulsory education), which is forced between certain ages, we basically copy/paste the information from the text book on a piece of paper and then memorize it in our brains for a test. Its basic brainwashing. It effects exactly how we think.
    I used to think like that, you'll wake up soon enough. You were given an education to help you survive in which the way the world functions, which is a blessing in its own right.
    Depression is the uncertainty of the unknown, I know one day I'll die so I'm happy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #143  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by andythomasthekey View Post
    When we go to school(Compulsory education), which is forced between certain ages, we basically copy/paste the information from the text book on a piece of paper and then memorize it in our brains for a test. Its basic brainwashing. It effects exactly how we think.
    I used to think like that, you'll wake up soon enough. You were given an education to help you survive in which the way the world functions, which is a blessing in its own right.
    Yes, the experiences you have when still very young can have a major effect on the rest of your life and once you become locked into that life, changing it becomes near impossible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #144  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Yes, they changes, ask me? They change for bad, mostly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #145  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Nets View Post
    Yes, they changes, ask me? They change for bad, mostly.
    They come out at night....mostly.
    Depression is the uncertainty of the unknown, I know one day I'll die so I'm happy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #146  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    In stead of giving such game of words
    It is not a game. At times, I can be a bit concise.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    share some logic

    If you have doubt upon theory and do not agree
    Say clear , Upon is wrong and does not apply practically
    It is not doubt upon theory. Rather, it is doubt that you are examining all of the current relevant theories. You seem, instead, to be examining some theory while neglecting others.
    Complex emergence; or emergence of complex structures is never permanent. It is a brief state of resisting entropy but entropy always wins.

    From the moment you're born, the battle with entropy begins. The battle takes its toll and you age, as tailends of your DNA get snipped shorter and shorter in order to provide material for repairing damaged or mis-encoded DNA strands.
    Raw materials taken into the body are used as base molecules for construction of a vast and complex system, but variables in what you ingest, what reaches every part of the body (Remember, there is no intelligence to it: You breathe in air, some of that air contains oxygen molecules, which- absorbed by aveoli in the lungs- are introduced into the bloodstream where they pretty much just bang around like bumper cars until they click with something that reacts to them) and what toxins can alter system processes can all play into entropy.

    All people change because of this entropy. The changes are minor and subtle, but build up over time. At 15 years old, you were a different person than you at 30 years old. Not just older- a different person as we define personality. The changes were slow and subtle so anyone close to you would not notice the difference. But you are a different person, nonetheless. Remarkably similar in many ways to that person you were at 15, but that person no longer exists. (It's one flaw in the claim of people having souls...)

    Eventually, entropy wins the war. The complex system finally breaks down and the "personality" ceases to exist on any level.
    Before 15 years of you, it was your 15 years ago
    Before 15 years of my , it was my 15 years ago not your
    You can not break the link
    Its fundamental nature that accept change according to its properties
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #147  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    Fundamental nature of human being never changes. It is permanent as we are part of nature not outside from nature. We can not change law of nature or cannot modify them.
    Way to miss the point.
    We're talking about the character/ behaviour/ etc of a person.

    Behavior of Person is in general determined by two things
    X ( Physical brain ) * Y (Social experience )= XY (behavior of person )
    Effect of X can not be removed.
    So, using your own argument: we KNOW that the physical brain alters. Ergo the behaviour changes.

    If there is change in my behavior after hearing a lesson from a person,
    i.e. X(My brain/other physical organ ) will take effect from Y(Lesson from person )
    & XY (Output i.e. my changed behavior )
    So behavior (character) DOES change?

    What, exactly, are you trying to say?
    There is no theory in Biology that says their is significant changes in structure or parts of brain due to social experiecne, Do not show me insignificant website link
    Behavior is determined by fundamental natures and experience (fundamental nature ) get
    So we will change according to how our fundamental nature takes effect of experince
    Its logically true
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #148  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Change happens to those people who want to change themselves. If they see that they cannot get what they want from life going about it one way they will adapt and find other ways to get what it is they are after. That includes bettering themselves but not others around them because the only thing in life you can change is yourself.
    I am not sure about direct change, I would go for modification. Change implies dropping that which is present into something that must be created new. If you are male today it would be imposible to change into female just in one lifetime. Modification is like evolution, it happens over time. Change is not the same for everyone, some see complete change, where others see part change.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #149  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    There is no theory in Biology that says their is significant changes in structure or parts of brain due to social experiecne, Do not show me insignificant website link
    Did I say "due to social experience"?
    What do you mean by "significant"?

    So we will change according to how our fundamental nature takes effect of experince
    You're reverting to nebulous again.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #150  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    There is no theory in Biology that says their is significant changes in structure or parts of brain due to social experiecne, Do not show me insignificant website link
    Did I say "due to social experience"?
    What do you mean by "significant"?

    So we will change according to how our fundamental nature takes effect of experince
    You're reverting to nebulous again.
    Then what are you saying ?Are we not talking about change in human behavior through social/psychological experience ?
    Think it again?
    Am I saying if a doctor destroy pones or hypothalamus ,it would not change or it would not make effect on person?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #151  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    Then what are you saying ?Are we not talking about change in human behavior through social/psychological experience ?
    Think it again?
    Am I saying if a doctor destroy pones or hypothalamus ,it would not change or it would not make effect on person?
    And now you're getting incoherent.
    Read the thread.
    We're talking about change. For any reason.

    As for your last sentence I have no idea where you got the impression that I've denied that.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #152  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJ_K View Post
    Then what are you saying ?Are we not talking about change in human behavior through social/psychological experience ?
    Think it again?
    Am I saying if a doctor destroy pones or hypothalamus ,it would not change or it would not make effect on person?
    And now you're getting incoherent.
    Read the thread.
    We're talking about change. For any reason.

    As for your last sentence I have no idea where you got the impression that I've denied that.
    Yes , It is right for you to debate if brain of a person is destroyed with acid , it will change that person or not
    I think you can prove that
    You can
    "No law of Physics is surprising & can not beat commonsense until it does not give enough explanation logically or I did not understand it rightly or simply it is wrong "
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM
  3. Understanding The Cycle of Change, And How People React To
    By jaman25 in forum Business & Economics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
  4. Do/Can people really change?
    By piok_opze in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •