Notices
Results 1 to 42 of 42
Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By Crimson Sunbird
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 1 Post By Lazy Jester
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 3 Post By stander-j
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By Estheria Quintessimo
  • 1 Post By graemedon
  • 1 Post By SpeedFreek
  • 1 Post By shlunka
  • 1 Post By seagypsy

Thread: Psychopath = Aspergers?

  1. #1 Psychopath = Aspergers? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions. Asides from that, the conditions are almost polar opposites. I do not think Aspergers is a variant.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Crimson Sunbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions.
    I have Asperger’s syndrome, and I can say that I do not lack emotions. On the other hand, I can be extremely sensitive, often overreacting to trivial matters. The main problem with Asperger’s sufferers is not lack of emotions but our difficulty in understanding other people’s emotions. We often fail to form lasting social relationships because of lack of emotional reciprocity with other people.

    And I don’t consider myself psychopathic either – well, nobody has ever called me that. I would consider AS a form of autism instead.
    “Don’t fear change. Change fear.”
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    On the other hand, I can be extremely sensitive, often overreacting to trivial matters.
    Yes! Having dealt with a few students with Asperger's syndrome, this is really obvious. For most, you have to put in hours, over and over again explaining why things must be done in a certain way - like writing complete answers to examination problems.

    But there are a few who miss or misinterpret ordinary statements (and jokes are a nightmare) that people who aren't completely familiar with that person will make. Even their families can get it wrong. And then we have distress, anger, arguments, tears, explosions, that seem to come out of nowhere. I think it's just a process that people with this particular issue have to learn to live with and control for themselves. It takes time and support and some need specific coaching on conversational and other interactions to understand that other people aren't trying to get at them. In fact, neuro-typical people often have similar problems.

    As for the "link" with psychopathology. I don't know of any professional, let alone an expert in either area, who's ever made such a link. Even a non-expert like me might make sad predictions about the life trajectory of some students. It's all too easy to identify who's going to have problems as an adult and who's going to cause problems. People with ASDs and people showing signs of developing various pathologies go into two quite separate boxes.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    I also seem to have asperger's syndrome, (official testing pending), and my oldest son has it. I have never been called psychopathic. I've been called special, weird, creepy, random, hilarious, wacky, and cold. But never psychopathic. I had an obsession with people in general growing up and I think the fact that my obsession of choice was people that it helped me hide my differences a bit more than other aspies, (if i do indeed have it). For me I obsessed over how people socialize which is ironically one of the areas aspies struggle with the most. I spent most of my days not participating in social activities but sitting quietly in the shadows watching how people interacted with each other. I don't grasp why people feel the way they do sometimes but I learned how to mimic the expressions. My goal was to get into acting so that is why the obsession developed. Unfortunately, i decided after all the observation that I don't like people much and don't feel they are worth the effort to try and socialize with. So I do it only when necessary.

    I guess this forum atmosphere gives a means of socialization that I find more efficient than face to face conversation. I can ignore emotions and just pick out the facts of what is said and respond accordingly. Ironically, unless I fake some emotion in my posts, I get accused of being overly emotional by some. I am still not sure why that happens. Maybe those people are just stupid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    But there are a few who miss or misinterpret ordinary statements (and jokes are a nightmare) that people who aren't completely familiar with that person will make. Even their families can get it wrong. And then we have distress, anger, arguments, tears, explosions, that seem to come out of nowhere.
    • Why don't they understand??
    • Im saying it as plainly as i can..
    • You just don't get it..
    • Why are you saying i am saying that?
    • That has nothing to do with what i said..
    • Where did that come from?

    I think i have some experience with that concept..
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    Psychopaths don't lack emotions either. My understanding is they lack empathy - basically for them it is like living in a world populated with videogame characters and not rewl people. I am not one, so my explanation may nt be totally accurate in describing...but they definitely experience feelings.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I have wondered if there have been any studies linking Aspergers with the theory of mind, would not the detachment of emotion be caused by an actual detachment of the person with aspergers with the person whom they are interacting with?

    For me personally I can at one moment be incredibly empathic to the extent of feeling guilt and pain of a person in suffering so much that I have to alleviate it and at others I can be extremely insensitive and then have a moment of clarity where empathy kicks in. I have repeated periods now and again of psychosis, which can make me extremely paranoid and emotionally detached as to the other person which may put me into a rage, thanks to my rationally minded brain however I can for the most part control these feelings, rare as they are they are incredibly uncomfortable and challenging to deal with, especially without medication that I have been prescribed.

    Skepticism is control, it should be hard wired into every childs brain from birth.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwick View Post
    Psychopaths don't lack emotions either. My understanding is they lack empathy - basically for them it is like living in a world populated with videogame characters and not rewl people. I am not one, so my explanation may nt be totally accurate in describing...but they definitely experience feelings.
    That's good and clear until we realize there are many forms of empathy - not all friendly. Empathy, I'd define as a keen and perhaps intuitive theory of mind, where one builds a sort of internal model of the other mind. A cat watching a mousehole has empathy for the mouse. On the other hand, one can derive empathy from sympathy. In that case kitty wouldn't feed her theory of the mouse's mind by experimenting with its death throw reactions. Between people, empathy and sympathy are expected to reinforce each other so interchangeably we can't tell them apart. I don't know that psychopaths lack empathy - maybe they just lack sympathy? Maybe the psychopaths who are cruel act so because they feel a need to expand their theory of mind (empathy), but have no sympathy to constrain how they go about it?
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwick View Post
    Psychopaths don't lack emotions either. My understanding is they lack empathy - basically for them it is like living in a world populated with videogame characters and not rewl people. I am not one, so my explanation may nt be totally accurate in describing...but they definitely experience feelings.
    That's good and clear until we realize there are many forms of empathy - not all friendly. Empathy, I'd define as a keen and perhaps intuitive theory of mind, where one builds a sort of internal model of the other mind. A cat watching a mousehole has empathy for the mouse. On the other hand, one can derive empathy from sympathy. In that case kitty wouldn't feed her theory of the mouse's mind by experimenting with its death throw reactions. Between people, empathy and sympathy are expected to reinforce each other so interchangeably we can't tell them apart. I don't know that psychopaths lack empathy - maybe they just lack sympathy? Maybe the psychopaths who are cruel act so because they feel a need to expand their theory of mind (empathy), but have no sympathy to constrain how they go about it?
    I think you are right. they lack sympathy. Empathy is something many serial killers will have ample portions of. Some will say they are not able to feel things first hand so they seek to experience the world through others. They cannot feel pain so they try to feel it through others. But they have to cause others pain in order to see what hte experience looks like, feels like. They want to find a way to relate to other humans but for some reason cannot. Or on the other hand, they can relate and feeling pain through others stimulates the reward center of their brain. What causes a normal person terror and/or pain causes exhilaration and pleasure to the killer. For them killing and torturing a victim may be compared to a normal person visiting a haunted house or riding a thrill coaster at an amusement park. The flood of adrenaline one feels when they experience fear can cause a high when one is consciously aware that they aren't in any real danger. And to a psychopath. they don't seem to have any concept of genuine fear. They don't fear consequences. So they only get the exhilaration of heightened adrenaline levels. And so their reward center is activated rather than their fight or flight center.

    I don't know if any of what I typed above made any sense. It made sense in my own brain but now proofreading it sounds a bit goofy and all over the place. Maybe I am just second guessing myself. who knows? I will leave it up to the rest of you to agree or disagree and dissect what I said.
    Lazy Jester likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Since my last post I've questioned definitions of "empathy" and "sympathy". Maybe we should just say psychopaths build highly developed theory of mind, that compensates for lack of intuitive empathy or sympathy.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBell View Post
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    I've said it before ....

    [citation needed]
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    I've said it before ....

    [citation needed]
    For your information, I think seagypsy is fairly intelligent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    It doesn't matter what anyone thinks another individual's intelligence or mental health status might be. It doesn't even matter if we know both of those things for certain for one or another individual.

    What matters, for your contention about the links between these things, is what is the statistical correlation between them. If the IQ scores for people with a certain personality or psychiatric condition is not significantly different from the normal distribution for the population at large, then there's no correlation.

    As I said, [citation needed].
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    It doesn't matter what anyone thinks another individual's intelligence or mental health status might be. It doesn't even matter if we know both of those things for certain for one or another individual.

    What matters, for your contention about the links between these things, is what is the statistical correlation between them. If the IQ scores for people with a certain personality or psychiatric condition is not significantly different from the normal distribution for the population at large, then there's no correlation.

    As I said, [citation needed].
    If "IQ" is your determinant then the only evidence you'll ever get will be finite. Otherwise, I feel it was a mistake for me to post in this thread as I already have my 'autism is discrimination' thread as a source of education.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,691
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBell View Post
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    Yeah?
    Really?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBell View Post
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    Yeah?
    Really?
    The 'condition' in question was Asperger's, which some say is by definition above-average intelligence, in order to qualify for the diagnosis in most cases. I don't think you were informed about that. It's a form of autism but not autism in general. And if I recall, I was the one to state moderate-to-severe autism is a differential diagnosis for mental inability, but your links are even better evidence than the ones I showed, I'll make sure to use them in the future.

    It's not fair of us to bring our arguments into the current thread. So, feel free to debate or ask any questions here: 'Autism' Is Discrimination
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    It's not fair of us to bring our arguments into the current thread. So, feel free to debate or ask any questions here: 'Autism' Is Discrimination

    I do not understand why you redirect us to your thread to continue the debate,
    since you have stated in my thread Are You a Psychopath:

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    That's not a citation. And your proposal won't provide one.

    This sort of thing has been examined by professional researchers. Try out your google-fu and see what you come up with. (Google Scholar would be your best avenue.)
    It doesn't matter, if I'm wrong then I'll just ignore contradicting evidence and continue on believing what I think.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    It's not fair of us to bring our arguments into the current thread. So, feel free to debate or ask any questions here: 'Autism' Is Discrimination

    I do not understand why you redirect us to your thread to continue the debate,
    since you have stated in my thread Are You a Psychopath:

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    That's not a citation. And your proposal won't provide one.

    This sort of thing has been examined by professional researchers. Try out your google-fu and see what you come up with. (Google Scholar would be your best avenue.)
    It doesn't matter, if I'm wrong then I'll just ignore contradicting evidence and continue on believing what I think.
    That might, just might be sarcasm.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    That might, just might be sarcasm.

    Even if you used sarcasm, how were you planning to connect Asperger's Syndrome and psychopathy to your thread about autism?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    That might, just might be sarcasm.

    Even if you used sarcasm, how were you planning to connect Asperger's Syndrome and psychopathy to your thread about autism?
    It's a possible correlation between rationality, intelligence and apathy. People who realize they have no real importance to the universe tend to be perceived as partially psychopathic.

    I can't tell if I answered your question, it was a bit oddly phrased.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Freshman Lazy Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Halifax NS
    Posts
    47
    I can see how the two conditions could be linked based on behavioral observation. However, the similarity is limited to surface behavior like social awkwardness and poor impulse control. Intent is the key difference between the two conditions. Aspies have difficulties assessing/understanding emotional/conventional/social cues. Psychopaths can assess/understand those cues but give them little to no value.

    One is focused on literal meaning the other with practical application. The harm done by Aspies is mostly accidental, the psychopath's harm is generally deliberate. One is obsessed by the means, the other by the ends. One will often be labelled an underachiever the other a workaholic. Big differences if you ask me.
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBell View Post
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    Yeah?
    Really?
    The 'condition' in question was Asperger's, which some say is by definition above-average intelligence, in order to qualify for the diagnosis in most cases. I don't think you were informed about that. It's a form of autism but not autism in general. And if I recall, I was the one to state moderate-to-severe autism is a differential diagnosis for mental inability, but your links are even better evidence than the ones I showed, I'll make sure to use them in the future.

    It's not fair of us to bring our arguments into the current thread. So, feel free to debate or ask any questions here: 'Autism' Is Discrimination
    This is not a valid reply to the two articles which contradict your statement.

    In addition, trying to divert someone away from the discussion at hand and back to your own thread where you seem to feel you have homefield advantage is not conducive to a proper discussion.

    You claim you have an astronomical IQ in almost every one of your posts, but I have yet to see you demonstrate it.
    seagypsy likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBell View Post
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.
    They overlap because both 'conditions' are correlated with above-average intelligence.
    Yeah?Really?
    The 'condition' in question was Asperger's, which some say is by definition above-average intelligence, in order to qualify for the diagnosis in most cases. I don't think you were informed about that. It's a form of autism but not autism in general. And if I recall, I was the one to state moderate-to-severe autism is a differential diagnosis for mental inability, but your links are even better evidence than the ones I showed, I'll make sure to use them in the future.It's not fair of us to bring our arguments into the current thread. So, feel free to debate or ask any questions here: 'Autism' Is Discrimination
    This is not a valid reply to the two articles which contradict your statement.In addition, trying to divert someone away from the discussion at hand and back to your own thread where you seem to feel you have homefield advantage is not conducive to a proper discussion.You claim you have an astronomical IQ in almost every one of your posts, but I have yet to see you demonstrate it.
    Isn't it ironic that a raving lunatic would select the username MoonCanvas?
    seagypsy, Neverfly and PhDemon like this.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Asperger syndrome is often considered a high functioning form of autism. It can lead to difficulty interacting socially, repeat behaviors, and clumsiness. Hans Asperger labeled this disorder "autistic psychopathy" in 1944.
    It seems Hans Asperger agrees with me. Asperger syndrome: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia


    Quote Originally Posted by FlickMontana
    You claim you have an astronomical IQ in almost every one of your posts, but I have yet to see you demonstrate it.
    I made no claims about having an "astronomical IQ" and I do not even view IQ as directly proportionate to one's intelligence.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlickMontana
    This is not a valid reply to the two articles which contradict your statement.
    The links, which support my stance that mental retardation is nearly synonymous with moderate to severe autism, don't refute my statement that Asperger's is correlated with above-average intelligence. Please explain how the articles contradict my statement, assuming you still decide to reply after realizing you're wrong. Next time, please do research before making statements.

    Although people with Asperger syndrome often have difficulty socially, many have above-average intelligence. They may excel in fields such as computer programming and science. There is no delay in their cognitive development, ability to take care of themselves, or curiosity about their environment.
    Most people with Asperger are also very intelligent.
    In fact, a person with high-functioning autism usually has average or above-average intelligence.
    Sources:
    Asperger are highly intelligent
    Asperger syndrome: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Freshman Lazy Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Halifax NS
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    It seems Hans Asperger agrees with me. Asperger syndrome: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    Naming a condition autistic psychopathy is a far cry from sanctioning your opinion. In naming the condition I suspect Asperger used the term psychopathy in its older and more genetic definition of any dysfunctional or antisocial behavior. From what I read, the current and clinical description of psychopathy was only clarified after Asperger's naming of the condition that now bare his name.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    I made no claims about having an "astronomical IQ" and I do not even view IQ as directly proportionate to one's intelligence.
    Whether implied or clearly stated, I also perceived that claim. Additionally, stating that IQ is not directly proportionate to one's intelligence substantially damages your own correlation claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    The links, which support my stance that mental retardation is nearly synonymous with moderate to severe autism, don't refute my statement that Asperger's is correlated with above-average intelligence. Please explain how the articles contradict my statement, assuming you still decide to reply after realizing you're wrong. Next time, please do research before making statements.
    From the little I know of Mr. Montana, it is doubtful that he will dignify your statement with a response. I would caution you against interpreting his lack of response as an admission of error. I can only hope that he will understand my assumption and entertain my lenient tolerance of your statements. Given the benefit of the doubt, your statement on above-average intelligence correlation seems one sided as I found no examples of above-average intelligence as a defining characteristic of psychopaths but rather arguments against this popularized claim. If you feel that I should also do more research before stating my opinion, I would welcome any further links you are willing to share supporting your claim.

    Psychopathy and Trait Emotional Intelligence
    The Hannibal Lecter Myth: Psychopathy and Verbal Intelligence in the MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study
    Crime Times- linking brain dysfunction to disordered/ criminal/ psychopathic behavior
    Common sense is like deodorant...The people who need it most never use it.
    ~Unknown
    If I'm going to be an ass, might as well be a smart one.
    ~Me
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Senior MoonCanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Jester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    It seems Hans Asperger agrees with me. Asperger syndrome: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    Naming a condition autistic psychopathy is a far cry from sanctioning your opinion. In naming the condition I suspect Asperger used the term psychopathy in its older and more genetic definition of any dysfunctional or antisocial behavior. From what I read, the current and clinical description of psychopathy was only clarified after Asperger's naming of the condition that now bare his name.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    I made no claims about having an "astronomical IQ" and I do not even view IQ as directly proportionate to one's intelligence.
    Whether implied or clearly stated, I also perceived that claim. Additionally, stating that IQ is not directly proportionate to one's intelligence substantially damages your own correlation claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCanvas View Post
    The links, which support my stance that mental retardation is nearly synonymous with moderate to severe autism, don't refute my statement that Asperger's is correlated with above-average intelligence. Please explain how the articles contradict my statement, assuming you still decide to reply after realizing you're wrong. Next time, please do research before making statements.
    From the little I know of Mr. Montana, it is doubtful that he will dignify your statement with a response. I would caution you against interpreting his lack of response as an admission of error. I can only hope that he will understand my assumption and entertain my lenient tolerance of your statements. Given the benefit of the doubt, your statement on above-average intelligence correlation seems one sided as I found no examples of above-average intelligence as a defining characteristic of psychopaths but rather arguments against this popularized claim. If you feel that I should also do more research before stating my opinion, I would welcome any further links you are willing to share supporting your claim.

    Psychopathy and Trait Emotional Intelligence
    The Hannibal Lecter Myth: Psychopathy and Verbal Intelligence in the MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study
    Crime Times- linking brain dysfunction to disordered/ criminal/ psychopathic behavior
    I substantially agree with you, as I recently discovered on my own that psychopaths(the ones studied) tend to be less intelligent. My question is whether they distinguish between the psychopaths who actually realize the harm they're causing, rather than people with brain damage.

    FlickMontana asserted I was incorrect about above-average intelligence in 'Aspergers', my response to him was based off his assertion. I do admit I took his inaction as action, but he made the silly mistake of thinking Asperger's isn't correlated positively with intelligence.


    Whether implied or clearly stated, I also perceived that claim. Additionally, stating that IQ is not directly proportionate to one's intelligence substantially damages your own correlation claim.
    I don't view claims as something that're open to interpretation in the manner you described.

    I view other methods as more necessary to testing intelligence. There's a significantly higher rate of those diagnosed with HFA/Asperger's in the field of science than there are anywhere else. It is quite clear this is no empirical evidence of any sort, but it's also a very probable conclusion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    My understanding is psychopathy is mostly characterized as lack of empathy with others, which would only show in low emotional intelligence, that's not necessarily compensated for in other areas.

    Autism is often shows as unbalanced range of intelligence more than the general population with the aggregate averages no higher then most other people. High functioning autism tend to have more even range of intelligence and only higher in aggregate because they are categorized that way.

    There was probably no need to start a separate thread on this.
    Lazy Jester likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sunbird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions.
    I have Asperger’s syndrome, and I can say that I do not lack emotions. On the other hand, I can be extremely sensitive, often overreacting to trivial matters. The main problem with Asperger’s sufferers is not lack of emotions but our difficulty in understanding other people’s emotions. We often fail to form lasting social relationships because of lack of emotional reciprocity with other people.

    And I don’t consider myself psychopathic either – well, nobody has ever called me that. I would consider AS a form of autism instead.
    Autists (and probably Aspergers also) tend to have 'oversensitive tentacles', that is they have a priori an over-emotional sensory system, which causes a blockage, blocking out. This is often perseived as insensitive or lack of empathy.
    Together with that , they have much more difficulty to wisely balance the feeling-side of the brain with the reasoning-side of the brain.
    Causing their reactions to other people to be experienced as 'inappropriate'.
    And on those few occasions were they do manage to let the over-empathy sink in, they nail it right on the spot, intuitively feel what is felt between 2 other people for example.

    These are my conclusions based on observing my young son who is diagnosed with Autism spectrum disorder.

    They also typically have 'splinter-abilities', that is they excell in some specific fields at the cost of the above mentioned shortcomings.

    For instance my son has extreme 3-dimensional insight and sensitivity to detect details in the whole.
    The opposit : detecting 'the whole' from adding the details is a lot more difficult, that's were he lacks sometimes to get the context of a situation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Sophomore Estheria Quintessimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBell View Post
    Do people think Aspergers syndrome could be a variant of Psychopathic personality disorder, as they are characterised by similar symptoms.
    I did the offical test....

    I do not recall the actual number crunching... I simply forgot.
    But if having Asperger on a Scale of 0-50 and 27 would mean you have Asperger,... and below 27 would mean you not having it,... but having some social issues...

    I was ranked at 26.

    So I am very close to Asperger. I sure am not a psycopath.

    (I do not recall the actual number of the test,... I was 1 point short of being diagnosed having it.... Which is just number crunching, imho)

    These are human made up numbers for these tests,...having been tested 26, so not having it,... is not much difference of a person tested at 27 considered having it.

    It is not a WALL... stuff like this works gradual.
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Sophomore Hymenophyllum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    170
    Personally i know few people with Asperger and i don't think they are psychopaths. \They just have different behaviour...
    He is numb from his toes down
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    St.ives- the perfect town
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sunbird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions.
    I have Asperger’s syndrome, and I can say that I do not lack emotions. On the other hand, I can be extremely sensitive, often overreacting to trivial matters. The main problem with Asperger’s sufferers is not lack of emotions but our difficulty in understanding other people’s emotions. We often fail to form lasting social relationships because of lack of emotional reciprocity with other people.

    And I don’t consider myself psychopathic either – well, nobody has ever called me that. I would consider AS a form of autism instead.
    I have aspergers syndrome and i completely agree with you,
    "only judge me when you have walked a mile on my twisting aching feet!"
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,786
    I (and a some of my friends) have long suspected that I have Asperger's syndrome.

    I just took a couple of online tests (which are not absolute proof, but seem to be a good indicator) and I scored 181 out of 200 for Asperger's and only 24 out of 200 for Neuro-typical in this one, and scored 42 out of 50 in this one.

    "If I am to judge someone, first I should walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when I pass judgement on them I will be a mile away from them and I will have their shoes!".
    seagypsy likes this.
    "Ok, brain let's get things straight. You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's do this so I can go back to killing you with beer." - Homer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Good news for those like me with allergies: Rhinitis can cause mental disease. Cat parasites in litter boxes can cause mental disease. Don't you with cats and dogs just love me now more than before? Don't you just want to kill me? Hahahahaha. I have Rhinitis. HAhahahahaha.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions. Asides from that, the conditions are almost polar opposites. I do not think Aspergers is a variant.
    I feel guilty for how utterly misinformed my answer was. Posting not with knowledge gained via reading scholarly articles, but statements heard from other people lacking expertise in the area. Oddly, perhaps even ironically, I am now pending a high functioning autism diagnosis from a psychologist, though all my habits seem to point to an obvious conclusion. Struggle in most social situations, so I simply joke incessantly. Get overly upset over unimportant things, I.E a clock being set a few minutes slow, the tapping of someone's foot, etc. Notice sounds others seem to be oblivious to. Obsession with a single subject. Lack of empathy due to not understanding how someone could get upset over the things most people get upset over. I collect office toys, pens, and notebooks (for drawing in). Preference towards seclusion. Aversion to loud noises/ large crowds. Desperation quickly sets in when I cannot venture into my obsession (cartoon work/writing jokes), unless very preoccupied. Whenever I'm yelled at (during work) or scolded (school) it immediately casts me into an emotional stooper for several hours. Outside of this forum, I have 1 friend, and don't even understand my relationship there. Very prone to sudden bursts of emotive behavior, spontaneous unprovoked depressive episodes most common. If from an authoritative figure, I will argue with anything, over inconsequential details. Hell, I even took an online quiz after thinking about it. Average non-autistic scores 16.5, likely autistic score 32, max of 50. Scored 43...taking it with a grain of salt... but since my number is old enough to be the average's father...
    seagypsy likes this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions. Asides from that, the conditions are almost polar opposites. I do not think Aspergers is a variant.
    I feel guilty for how utterly misinformed my answer was. Posting not with knowledge gained via reading scholarly articles, but statements heard from other people lacking expertise in the area. Oddly, perhaps even ironically, I am now pending a high functioning autism diagnosis from a psychologist, though all my habits seem to point to an obvious conclusion. Struggle in most social situations, so I simply joke incessantly. Get overly upset over unimportant things, I.E a clock being set a few minutes slow, the tapping of someone's foot, etc. Notice sounds others seem to be oblivious to. Obsession with a single subject. Lack of empathy due to not understanding how someone could get upset over the things most people get upset over. I collect office toys, pens, and notebooks (for drawing in). Preference towards seclusion. Aversion to loud noises/ large crowds. Desperation quickly sets in when I cannot venture into my obsession (cartoon work/writing jokes), unless very preoccupied. Whenever I'm yelled at (during work) or scolded (school) it immediately casts me into an emotional stooper for several hours. Outside of this forum, I have 1 friend, and don't even understand my relationship there. Very prone to sudden bursts of emotive behavior, spontaneous unprovoked depressive episodes most common. If from an authoritative figure, I will argue with anything, over inconsequential details. Hell, I even took an online quiz after thinking about it. Average non-autistic scores 16.5, likely autistic score 32, max of 50. Scored 43...taking it with a grain of salt... but since my number is old enough to be the average's father...
    Join the club. sadly a social group of all HFA sufferers is sort of a defeated purpose. A room full of "aspies" may interact with one another only minimally, if at all.

    A shining example. I used to use chat rooms a lot. a non aspie contact and I decided to meet up and go visit our mutual online friend. He was an aspie. We met him at his college and he took us to a computer lab on campus and only after all three of us signed into msn messenger did we get any conversation out of him. He was studying to be a scientist of some sort at Purdue University in Indiana. I have no idea whatever became of him.
    shlunka likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions. Asides from that, the conditions are almost polar opposites. I do not think Aspergers is a variant.
    I feel guilty for how utterly misinformed my answer was. Posting not with knowledge gained via reading scholarly articles, but statements heard from other people lacking expertise in the area. Oddly, perhaps even ironically, I am now pending a high functioning autism diagnosis from a psychologist, though all my habits seem to point to an obvious conclusion. Struggle in most social situations, so I simply joke incessantly. Get overly upset over unimportant things, I.E a clock being set a few minutes slow, the tapping of someone's foot, etc. Notice sounds others seem to be oblivious to. Obsession with a single subject. Lack of empathy due to not understanding how someone could get upset over the things most people get upset over. I collect office toys, pens, and notebooks (for drawing in). Preference towards seclusion. Aversion to loud noises/ large crowds. Desperation quickly sets in when I cannot venture into my obsession (cartoon work/writing jokes), unless very preoccupied. Whenever I'm yelled at (during work) or scolded (school) it immediately casts me into an emotional stooper for several hours. Outside of this forum, I have 1 friend, and don't even understand my relationship there. Very prone to sudden bursts of emotive behavior, spontaneous unprovoked depressive episodes most common. If from an authoritative figure, I will argue with anything, over inconsequential details. Hell, I even took an online quiz after thinking about it. Average non-autistic scores 16.5, likely autistic score 32, max of 50. Scored 43...taking it with a grain of salt... but since my number is old enough to be the average's father...
    Join the club. sadly a social group of all HFA sufferers is sort of a defeated purpose. A room full of "aspies" may interact with one another only minimally, if at all.

    A shining example. I used to use chat rooms a lot. a non aspie contact and I decided to meet up and go visit our mutual online friend. He was an aspie. We met him at his college and he took us to a computer lab on campus and only after all three of us signed into msn messenger did we get any conversation out of him. He was studying to be a scientist of some sort at Purdue University in Indiana. I have no idea whatever became of him.
    I enjoy socialization, if it's (A) With the proper person. (B) Only with one person. (C) The topic of discussion is strictly the sharing of jokes/ideas. (D) It's in a quiet, familiar environment.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    The only similar symptom is lacking emotions. Asides from that, the conditions are almost polar opposites. I do not think Aspergers is a variant.
    I feel guilty for how utterly misinformed my answer was. Posting not with knowledge gained via reading scholarly articles, but statements heard from other people lacking expertise in the area. Oddly, perhaps even ironically, I am now pending a high functioning autism diagnosis from a psychologist, though all my habits seem to point to an obvious conclusion. Struggle in most social situations, so I simply joke incessantly. Get overly upset over unimportant things, I.E a clock being set a few minutes slow, the tapping of someone's foot, etc. Notice sounds others seem to be oblivious to. Obsession with a single subject. Lack of empathy due to not understanding how someone could get upset over the things most people get upset over. I collect office toys, pens, and notebooks (for drawing in). Preference towards seclusion. Aversion to loud noises/ large crowds. Desperation quickly sets in when I cannot venture into my obsession (cartoon work/writing jokes), unless very preoccupied. Whenever I'm yelled at (during work) or scolded (school) it immediately casts me into an emotional stooper for several hours. Outside of this forum, I have 1 friend, and don't even understand my relationship there. Very prone to sudden bursts of emotive behavior, spontaneous unprovoked depressive episodes most common. If from an authoritative figure, I will argue with anything, over inconsequential details. Hell, I even took an online quiz after thinking about it. Average non-autistic scores 16.5, likely autistic score 32, max of 50. Scored 43...taking it with a grain of salt... but since my number is old enough to be the average's father...
    Join the club. sadly a social group of all HFA sufferers is sort of a defeated purpose. A room full of "aspies" may interact with one another only minimally, if at all.

    A shining example. I used to use chat rooms a lot. a non aspie contact and I decided to meet up and go visit our mutual online friend. He was an aspie. We met him at his college and he took us to a computer lab on campus and only after all three of us signed into msn messenger did we get any conversation out of him. He was studying to be a scientist of some sort at Purdue University in Indiana. I have no idea whatever became of him.
    I enjoy socialization, if it's (A) With the proper person. (B) Only with one person. (C) The topic of discussion is strictly the sharing of jokes/ideas. (D) It's in a quiet, familiar environment.
    That's my point. "Aspies" have little to no inclination to socialize spontaneously with strangers. Unless they are completely familiar with a person and certain that they know exactly what to expect from that individual, it isn't likely they will risk the stress of having to figure out a new stranger. Sometimes not even online. I interact fine online as far as making the attempt to socialize is concerned because I know I have the safety of being able to block, ignore, or log out on someone who vexes me. But in person my social anxiety kicks in so hard either I won't talk at all or I won't stop talking and do so at top speed so as to make sure they cannot subject me to their unsolicited, insignificant, and completely irrelevant opinions.

    But some can't even interact online.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40 reply to seagypsy! 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    St.ives- the perfect town
    Posts
    69
    I know exactly how you feel. and even on facebook im still a bit anxious sometimes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by graemedon View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. and even on facebook im still a bit anxious sometimes.
    I have a facebook account but signed up under protest. I only allow blood relatives to add me and even then, I don't allow them all. Most of my family members are religious fundies and I cannot tolerate constant "I'm going to be praying for you" wall posts and emails. I pretty much just use it to stay in touch with my mother since I don't handle phone conversations well and emailing her directly is as effective as screaming into a black hole and expecting a response.

    I do not put my face on my profile picture because facebook does not allow aliases, and insists on making you searchable by your real name and email address. It feels more and more like an nsa database all the time. So I post nothing on my wall, and do not have my real location listed in it or anything else.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    548
    I don't subscribe to evil or morality.

    However, I don't see any connection between the two.

    (and yes, somebody may point out a contradiction between my opening sentence or other threads I've made, but I don't care. Others do it also, so don't get "offended" by others rivalling your position. I have no time for insecure people with high school mentalities....)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. How to avoid be underwent to a surgery by a psychopath physician?
    By bezoar in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: September 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
  2. Aspergers and REM sleep
    By Amber1558 in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
  3. How to deal with a brother psychopath?
    By bezoar in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: June 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •