Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chad
  • 1 Post By Sealeaf
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By sculptor

Thread: The Fire Arm

  1. #1 The Fire Arm 
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    What compels a person to obtain, store, or carry firearms? What is the nature of a firearm? Why are firearms made, or what purpose do they serve?


    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Their purpose? To kill. Either for food, for the sake of something other than food, just 'cause, or most disturbingly - for fun.

    Why obtain them? To fullfill those purposes. Also to protect oneself, and others, I suppose.

    Why do people buy them when they don't need them? Possibly because it's fun shooting them at targets or something - marksmanship is a fairly common hobby.. Maybe some people buy them because of the thrill behind firearms? The danger aspect - the idea that they own something that could easily kill in less than a second, that simply squeezing a small piece of metal is all it would take?

    My thoughts at least.


    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    I have a friend, an engineer, who has a collection of fifty or more guns, most of them of historical interest. In pride of place is a rifle which he can track thorugh records as having been used at the Battle of Rorke's Drift during the Zulu wars. While he is a hunter, his interest in guns seems to arise much more from an engineers viewpoint of evolving design.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I have a friend, an engineer, who has a collection of fifty or more guns, most of them of historical interest. In pride of place is a rifle which he can track thorugh records as having been used at the Battle of Rorke's Drift during the Zulu wars. While he is a hunter, his interest in guns seems to arise much more from an engineers viewpoint of evolving design.
    Well said Galt. Collecting, and what not, is definitely a reason too. Your friend's collection sounds astounding. My Great Uncle has a quite the collection as well, ironically, he also has a spear that was wielded in the battle of Isandlwana.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    What compels a person to obtain, store, or carry firearms?
    To deter, defend, threaten, injure, damage, kill, or destroy perhaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    What is the nature of a firearm?
    I do not quite understand this question. If I were to ask what is the nature of a crossbow, should I take into consideration the sports-like proficiency one can possess or attain, or should I look at what a crossbow is able to do for me in a hunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    Why are firearms made, or what purpose do they serve?
    Like any other tool humans have invented/created; to be used should the desire/need arises.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    There are many reasons for a person obtaining and storing weapons, in particular firearms. From a person who collects them for historical reasons to those who collect them for purely aesthetic reasons. There are those who collect them because they are afraid of what the near future holds and those who only procure one or two for personal defense. The nature of the firearm is that it is a tool. It is designed to rapidly stop whatever it is fired at. It is the evolution of weapon technology, first the rock, then the stick, then stick with a rock attached, then the stick with the rock was launched with another stick. Then they started adding strings and... A weapon is a tool and nothing more. They have no inherent nature, no tool is evil or good, the onl;y value that can be assigned to them is how well they perform their job. Firearms perform very well.
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    928
    Obesity is a major health concern in the US.
    The US has a large percentage of firearms per citizen.

    It all makes sense. Americans are to lazy to hit the gym so they buy weapons instead. Following this logic: Firearms are there so you dont need to keep in shape.

    On a serious note the people above me got it right :P
    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    What compels a person to obtain, store, or carry firearms? What is the nature of a firearm? Why are firearms made, or what purpose do they serve?

    What compels a person to obtain, store, or carry firearms? Their DNA.

    To show my point,
    Young animals playing, is DNA programmed behavior, its just practice for what that animal does when they grown up.

    Young deer play by running, that's practice to run away from a wolf.
    Young wolves play by wrestling, that practice to kill a deer.
    Young humans play by swinging sticks and throwing rocks, that's practice to kill other animals with weapons.

    We are animals DNA programmed to use weapons to kill.

    The fire arm is just a modern day spear/rock.
    westwind likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    What compels a person to obtain, store, or carry firearms? What is the nature of a firearm? Why are firearms made, or what purpose do they serve?
    To be fair, I enjoy firearms quite a bit and yet I would never use one to kill any living thing. I also enjoy bows. To me, shooting is similar to golf. I target shoot for fun and with a little friendly competition.

    As for purpose, that varies based on the user. Some people hunt, some people want to be able to defend themselves, and some people are just whackos who enjoy having the power to kill someone without being forced to rely on their own personal physical strength or prowess.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    985
    I like to make loud noises and blow holes in things. Also fiream ownership helps keep our govenments honest. Armed citizens are free citizens. I believe fairly strongly that firearm ownership is a citizen's duty in a democracy. Actually to fullfill that duty you need a military level weapon. I own a chinese SKS 7.62 mm semi automatic rifle. It is Korean war vintage so not state of the art, but still very capable of "reaching out to touch someone" with fatal results.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Dear Sealeaf. Quote "" a citizens duty in a democracy... End Quote. I'm a citizen in a democracy. If the Law Enforcement in my State knew I was in possession of Fire Arms it would be several hours before they attended a Domestic"" call out at my place of residence. When they did turn up they would have the SAS, the SWATCH Squad, The Riot Squad, several Special Force Anti- Terrorist Rapid Fire Specialists, the Dog Squad, and the Coroner. I f I was brave enough to open the front door, naked, with a feather in my hand, I would be so full of lead I'd save a burial by sinking into the ground. Not to healthy to own a gun around these parts. westwind.
    Words words words, were it better I caught your tears, and washed my face in them, and felt their sting. - westwind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    Also fiream ownership helps keep our govenments honest. Armed citizens are free citizens. I believe fairly strongly that firearm ownership is a citizen's duty in a democracy.
    Is it the duty of a citizen in a communist state to not own a gun?
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind View Post
    Dear Sealeaf. Quote "" a citizens duty in a democracy... End Quote. I'm a citizen in a democracy. If the Law Enforcement in my State knew I was in possession of Fire Arms it would be several hours before they attended a Domestic"" call out at my place of residence. When they did turn up they would have the SAS, the SWATCH Squad, The Riot Squad, several Special Force Anti- Terrorist Rapid Fire Specialists, the Dog Squad, and the Coroner. I f I was brave enough to open the front door, naked, with a feather in my hand, I would be so full of lead I'd save a burial by sinking into the ground. Not to healthy to own a gun around these parts. westwind.
    I think you have given evidence in support of my position.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    Also fiream ownership helps keep our govenments honest. Armed citizens are free citizens. I believe fairly strongly that firearm ownership is a citizen's duty in a democracy.
    Is it the duty of a citizen in a communist state to not own a gun?
    "communist" is the opposit of "capitalist", not of democracy. It should be perfectly possible for a communist state to be democratic. It does not seem to work out that way in practice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    It should be perfectly possible for a communist state to be democratic..
    I believe fairly strongly that firearm ownership is a citizen's duty in a democracy.
    Then accordingly it must be the duty of a citizen living under communist rule to own a firearm since the duty is not just restricted to democratic states. IOW's everybody should own a gun. Therefore gun ownership is not a privilege, nor is it for a privileged few. I'm just wondering why you think only democrats should be allowed to own guns?
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    It should be perfectly possible for a communist state to be democratic..
    I believe fairly strongly that firearm ownership is a citizen's duty in a democracy.
    Then accordingly it must be the duty of a citizen living under communist rule to own a firearm since the duty is not just restricted to democratic states. IOW's everybody should own a gun. Therefore gun ownership is not a privilege, nor is it for a privileged few. I'm just wondering why you think only democrats should be allowed to own guns?
    The opposit of democratic is probably "totalitarian" or "police state". If you live in a "democrascy " that is afraid to let its citizens have guns you might want to consider questioning just how free you actually are. Bare in mind that these things are measured in shades of gray not black and white.
    When we speak of "Law and Order" most people do not realise that those are opposits. The greater is the rule of law, the less the order in society. Law protects the individual from the power of the state, order is what the state imposses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    The opposit of democratic is probably "totalitarian" or "police state". If you live in a "democrascy " that is afraid to let its citizens have guns you might want to consider questioning just how free you actually are. Bare in mind that these things are measured in shades of gray not black and white.
    When we speak of "Law and Order" most people do not realise that those are opposits. The greater is the rule of law, the less the order in society. Law protects the individual from the power of the state, order is what the state imposses.
    Do you feel emboldened owning a gun? Does it give you the courage to walk the streets of high crime areas at night or do you own a gun just in case one of those inhabitants decides to leave their turf and pay you a visit?
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    The opposit of democratic is probably "totalitarian" or "police state". If you live in a "democrascy " that is afraid to let its citizens have guns you might want to consider questioning just how free you actually are. Bare in mind that these things are measured in shades of gray not black and white.
    When we speak of "Law and Order" most people do not realise that those are opposits. The greater is the rule of law, the less the order in society. Law protects the individual from the power of the state, order is what the state imposses.
    Do you feel emboldened owning a gun? Does it give you the courage to walk the streets of high crime areas at night or do you own a gun just in case one of those inhabitants decides to leave their turf and pay you a visit?
    To the extent that I own a Home Defense Weapon it is my 12 gauge pump shot gun with the short barrel and eight shot magazine. I do feel better hiking in deep forest with my .22 pistol in my pocket. I live in bear, mountain lion, coyote and wolf country. I would not use so light a gun to hunt these animals. I don't hunt at all. But a 400lb bear has walked through my back yard. If I were confronted by agressive wild life I would stay indoors if possible, but I were outside, a little gun is better than no gun. Just last year 2 wolves killed a jogger in an alaskan suburbe. She tried to run away, and the wolves ran her down and tore her apart. My immediate thought was "what the heck are you doing jogging in wolf country without a side arm?"
    I would not enter a high crime area if I could possibly help it.
    On the subject of using a firearm aginst another human let me quote a police officer, "its better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6."
    westwind likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    To the extent that I own a Home Defense Weapon it is my 12 gauge pump shot gun with the short barrel and eight shot magazine. I do feel better hiking in deep forest with my .22 pistol in my pocket. I live in bear, mountain lion, coyote and wolf country. I would not use so light a gun to hunt these animals. I don't hunt at all. But a 400lb bear has walked through my back yard. If I were confronted by agressive wild life I would stay indoors if possible, but I were outside, a little gun is better than no gun. Just last year 2 wolves killed a jogger in an alaskan suburbe. She tried to run away, and the wolves ran her down and tore her apart. My immediate thought was "what the heck are you doing jogging in wolf country without a side arm?"
    I would not enter a high crime area if I could possibly help it.
    On the subject of using a firearm aginst another human let me quote a police officer, "its better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.


    We have dingos in Australia. ( read native dog, probably from India 25,000 years ago ). Size of a mangy small greyhound. I don't like them. They prey on kitten rabbits, small marsupials and young babies ( human ), when they can get them. I don't rely on 35% of the Human Male Specie, and I have no love for any mangy dingo. I have no gun. If I am confronted by a dangerous animal, say like a dingo, or Pit Bull Terriors that roam our suburban streets, then i should have to roll on my back and expose my throat to these terrorists. westwind.
    Words words words, were it better I caught your tears, and washed my face in them, and felt their sting. - westwind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,325
    Unless you have really tiny bears, a 0.22 isn't going to do much more than piss them off. Ironically I agree about sidearms in bear country (with at least a .44), but don't usually take the advise myself. I am however, deliberately loud if the path is tight, sometimes singing or whistling and carry a hard-crafted walking stick that's been around the world with me for the past 30 years--it would probably be my last ditch defense. I also have a good amount of woods knowledge (raised there) that might come in handy--most practical info, such as "most rushes" are fake, "bears usually retreat uphill where nothing can keep up," "mothers are often irrational" (tempted to compare with two legged mammal). A semi-auto shotgun is a lot better than even a Clint Eastwood's largest handgun. In my parts I worry about cougar a lot more than bears, they are a lot more stealthy, single minded, and meticulously wait for an opportunity to pounce when your the most vulnerable, like bending down to photograph a flower, or dropping trou.
    westwind likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    long ago and far away
    I was hiking up rib mountain when i happened to look up, and there not 20 feet (6 meters) away was a black bear.
    My uncle who was farther down the trail said that the bear and I both turned and ran as fast as we could in opposite directions.
    (never underestimate the power of dumb luck to see you through when planning and intellect fail)
    I had a cousin who hunted bears.........he talked about getting out during false dawn just before the sun was just rising, and following the hounds.

    Unless you are well trained and ready for the moment, facing danger is a crap shoot even if well armed.
    dmwyant likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. a torque without an arm
    By luxtpm in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
  3. the imposible a momentum without an arm
    By luxtpm in forum Physics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM
  4. Extendable arm?
    By MarkJC in forum Electrical and Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
  5. Cyborg Arm Idea
    By Schemmy888 in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •