Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 142 of 142
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Suicide

  1. #101  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the enlightening rod.
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    What would be the number one fear for those attempting suicide?

    1. Failure to succeed at killing yourself
    2. No one will care if successful
    3. What others will think if successful
    4. Family suffers, successful or not
    5. Chickening out at the last minute
    6. Hell awaits the successful
    7. There's no afterlife
    8. Did it for nothing

    There's probably more but my opinion is number 1. If life was terrible before the attempt then what happens after you don't succeed, does it become worse?
    True. Prince recalls case of survivor of gunshot wounds to head with AUTOMATIC WEAPON. He just blew his face off, now he is disfigured as well as depressed, so, no surprise, eventually shot self in head again, this time with better aim.

    With that said, suicide can be a political and/or religious statement when alloyed with martyrdom, in this case, 2,3,6,7, and 8 may help precipitate the act.

    Thich Quang Duc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.- Thucydides
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    597
    I like Finger Prince's idea of giving your time and treasure to a charitable cause as an effective means to help lift yourself up. Of course anyone contemplating suicide should seek medical help and consider calling a suicide hot line. I hope somfoolieshfool lets us know how he is doing. People here enjoy his posts.

    There are other theological techniques to help get through tough times as well. Joel Osteen's sermon this week on TBN deals with that, and I recently heard a local sermon about "The tired soul" and how to deal with that. If anyone wants a copy of the second one, PM me. I got copies of the second one to review in case I end up in a tough spot, which is where I was when my wife "coincidentally" suggested we attend that service as we usually go to other churches. Reviewing the contents might break the rules so I won't go there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the enlightening rod.
    Posts
    936
    Guns don't kill people, but people with guns frequently kill themselves, preferred means of suicide for police officers.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.- Thucydides
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,308
    Not to mention police assisted suicide.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the enlightening rod.
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Not to mention police assisted suicide.
    Good point. Would seem more polite to involve people who could refuse in your plans vs those who serve in this capacity.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.- Thucydides
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    It is so interesting to see society's bias against suicide. So many posts basically say: Buck up, life isn't so bad, change yourself.

    Psychiatry is the sales arm for life (or apologist, it teaches one "to cope". Why do you have to "cope" with something good?).

    I've been chronically depressed and have had counseling together with medication. Medication worked, the counseling didn't. While chronically depressed I contemplated suicide a few times, never to the point of planning it. However, at 68 I've led a full life. Despite being financially well off and in decent health. I've come to the conclusion that life is a cruel joke and meaningless, we die eventually so why not now? Looking at the history of mankind little has changed for the better, man is still selfish and brutish, wars and hatred continue unabated. Science has made material existence better for many but in the process it is destroying the habitable world.

    What is the point of life? In lesser life forms: to live. For us self-conscious critters who actually think, is that enough? We live and then we are dead. Just like the ants outside our homes. In fifty years no one will remember us, or care if they do. How many humans in the history of mankind have had a positive impact on humanity? Mostly scientists and inventors and even then they have only lengthened our lives or improved them materially. How many writers have continued to have an impact? Shakespeare because he has written universal plays about how terrible people are. What visual art matters? Or has had a life affecting impact? Some great music is affecting but for how long? We remember the Hitlers, Stalins, Pol Pots, the Spanish Inquisition, the Holocaust. What positive events equal those? People are competitive and to what end? To kill more people, earn more money than other people, jump further, pitch faster, swim faster, etc. Someone will always come along and beat those records. What have the wealthy always done throughout history, e.g., the Romans, Nobles, Drug lords, Business Moguls, sports and entertainment figures? Indulge their senses. Eat fancy food and drink expensive drinks, have orgies, visit exotic places, buy expensive clothes and toys. Has it satisfied them? Some unthinking ones would say yes. More intelligent and introspective ones realize no. They try to involve themselves in charities and other altruistic acts. Religion was invented to answer the question "What is life all about?" If one is religious then one has his or her answer. If one realizes that religion is just a con game then you're back to square one.

    The Hindus believe that life is just an illusion. Seems to me to be correct, so why bother.

    There are many things in life that are enjoyable, food, drink, physical exertion that brings on an endorphin high, drugs, a great relationship with another person, sex, travel. But once they've been experienced they become repetitive and boring. The Buddhists say "Be here now" and promote meditation. What is meditation but disengaging with life to become "one with the universe". How can one become more "one with the universe" than by killing one's self and letting one's atoms merge with the universe?

    The reason for promoting life is that people fear death. However, death is either nothing, in which case it is better than the pain and suffering of life, or it is another step which we'll take eventually, so why not now. Living, for most, is striving to provide food, clothing and shelter and the effort to do so leaves no time to think why. Once those are obtained then life is just killing time until death, and before death, pain from illness, senility and sitting alone (despite those who may be physically present) in an old folks home.

    All life IS death, anyway. Think of how many sperm cells died to have one impregnation. How many baby creatures died for each living creature. How many living, sentient creatures died to fill your stomachs (and the painful lives they lead before they were killed).

    I do believe that depression is not a reason for suicide, if the depression can be cured, and most often it can. For me medication worked and those people that put it down have not been severely depressed and found the only relief to be from medication. But, if one is NOT depressed and believes that life is not worth living, it is that person's life and he or she should be free to end it. It should be done in a manner to affect the fewest number of people. Because of society's bias against suicide one's closest friends and relatives will be affected (unless there are no people close to one) but don't impact strangers. If those close to you do not understand your pain, boredom or angst leave them a note explaining why.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Well, I think it's all pointless too, but my conclusion is not death, or depression. Actually it's kind of a liberating idea. I was in a relationship with someone with extreme depression, and watched this person stab themselves. The issue was not what they think of the world but how they judge their situation in it. Everything was judged as bad. Just like you have done, FoolontheHill. For her life was all about relationships and it was absolutely terrifying if anyone rejected her as a partner, or just a friend. She had to surround herself with people, but she didn't care about the people, she only cared that she was surrounded by them. She judged the quality of her life on this. I was on the opposite end of the spectrum, I live a lonely life, intentionally. I don't judge the quality of my life so much and certainly not by how many people are around me. This is a fundamental difference in attitude. She would comment on how easy it was for me to make friends, when I actually felt as though I had next to none. When someone rejects her she rationalizes it so that the person is horrible and pushes that person away, then wonders why her circle of "friends" is disappearing.

    All of these examples you've given, FoolontheHill, are judgments, and rather common ones. You see pain as bad. If you have not contributed to society it is not good. If there is no point to life or it is not good than you conclude that death is the most logical option. This just isn't so. No one knows what the purpose of life is, and no one knows if things like pain, war, overpopulation, pollution etc. are bad things, or whether or not they promote "our" purpose. If suicide seems logical than what's wrong with killing? We all share the same species, life on this earth, shouldn't we be entitled to relieve others of their perceived suffering? Why does the suicidal person conclude that it is better to kill themselves but not others? Why do they conclude it is a good idea to kill themselves at all? This is what depression is. It's just a difference in the head, that is involved in how a person feels. There is no more reason to feel sad about events than there is to feel happy or indifferent. It's just that some people feel sad. Some people feel like suicide. Some people believe these emotions can be trained. I for the most part do not get depressed but when I do I'm aware of it and have techniques for getting over it. Maybe this can't be done in people with "clinical depression" or what ever the official word is. I've learned that it's not worth trying though, if they want to change themselves than they will seek help. Most of the time if you try to help they'll just tell you it's pointless and doesn't work. Maybe they're right.

    In my case, or rather the case of the woman I was with, she wasn't aware about what she was suffering from. She called it depression, but it was actually a number of things that led to an entirely different disorder which included depression. This disorder also makes it impossible for her to trust anyone, including her doctors, who were all out to get her.

    You are not special. You're not the only one who thinks the world is a horrible disaster. This type of thinking is NOT the cause of your depression or suicidal thoughts. This kind of thinking only rationalizes the depressed feelings.

    [Autosave function is AWESOME]
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    That's your opinion and that's fine. That's why some people go on living. But your perspective is yours, it doesn't make you "right". It does, in my opinion, mean that those with your perspective should keep living (in an objective sense). Those with mine shouldn't if we don't want to. Perhaps one can simplify the issue to optimists and pessimists. An optimist can't change a pessimist and vice versa (well, sometimes a good pessimist can bum out an optimist). You assume that there is a reason for life, therefore pain may be a good thing. Yours is the typical religious reaction: We're put on earth for a purpose and life is some sort of game that we get points for for completing. Hence the importance for being "brave". I don't and have seen nothing that convinces me otherwise (obviously, or I'd think differently).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    It is so interesting to see society's bias against suicide. So many posts basically say: Buck up, life isn't so bad, change yourself.

    Psychiatry is the sales arm for life (or apologist, it teaches one "to cope". Why do you have to "cope" with something good?).

    I've been chronically depressed and have had counseling together with medication. Medication worked, the counseling didn't. While chronically depressed I contemplated suicide a few times, never to the point of planning it. However, at 68 I've led a full life. Despite being financially well off and in decent health. I've come to the conclusion that life is a cruel joke and meaningless, we die eventually so why not now? Looking at the history of mankind little has changed for the better, man is still selfish and brutish, wars and hatred continue unabated. Science has made material existence better for many but in the process it is destroying the habitable world.

    What is the point of life?

    The Hindus believe that life is just an illusion. Seems to me to be correct, so why bother.

    There are many things in life that are enjoyable, food, drink, physical exertion that brings on an endorphin high, drugs, a great relationship with another person, sex, travel. But once they've been experienced they become repetitive and boring. The Buddhists say "Be here now" and promote meditation. What is meditation but disengaging with life to become "one with the universe". How can one become more "one with the universe" than by killing one's self and letting one's atoms merge with the universe?
    .
    I am not a Buddhist; however, I think one Buddhist view is that peace of mind comes from compassion or service to others. I agree with that. The pleasures you mentioned don't bring peace of mind.

    Also, just because we don't know the answer to a mystery, we should not assume that there is no answer.

    Many of the societal problems may not have an obvious answer. However, that is one of the joys of life--to try and solve the unsolvable problem. Why not take a crack at one of them?

    Wars and mass killings is an example of a problem that has not been solved. However, there is work that suggests that solutions are possible. There are relatively peaceful societies.

    Religion is not a con game. Religion is the attempt to understand the supernatural and learn how to live a better life.

    One religious view I heard proposes that each person who contributes to the solution of a problem, deserves equal credit for the solution. So a person who just says an encouraging word to the person who eventually solves one of societies great difficulties may be equally deserving of his / her reward in life beyond our current existence as the person who writes the final published work or builds the hospital.

    Also, since we don't know for sure what will happen after we die, why risk going to a terrible place instead of persevering in this life?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    That's your opinion and that's fine. That's why some people go on living. But your perspective is yours, it doesn't make you "right". It does, in my opinion, mean that those with your perspective should keep living (in an objective sense). Those with mine shouldn't if we don't want to. Perhaps one can simplify the issue to optimists and pessimists. An optimist can't change a pessimist and vice versa (well, sometimes a good pessimist can bum out an optimist). You assume that there is a reason for life, therefore pain may be a good thing. Yours is the typical religious reaction: We're put on earth for a purpose and life is some sort of game that we get points for for completing. Hence the importance for being "brave". I don't and have seen nothing that convinces me otherwise (obviously, or I'd think differently).
    Wrong. I do not assume anything. Especially regarding purpose. In fact, my first sentence was: Well, I think it's all pointless too, but my conclusion is not death, or depression. I gave no indication that I am giving my life purpose or reason.

    Just thought I should clarify that.

    In a way I agree with you. If your point simply is that those who want to commit suicide should and those who don't shouldn't than I'm mostly on board, though I would not agree with the reasons for which people often want to commit suicide, as I've stated. If they are committing suicide because the feel the world is a terrible place than I think it may be in their interest for someone to stop them. If they just want to die because they want to die than I can't argue with that.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    I am not a Buddhist; however, I think one Buddhist view is that peace of mind comes from compassion or service to others. I agree with that. The pleasures you mentioned don't bring peace of mind.

    Also, just because we don't know the answer to a mystery, we should not assume that there is no answer.

    Many of the societal problems may not have an obvious answer. However, that is one of the joys of life--to try and solve the unsolvable problem. Why not take a crack at one of them?

    Wars and mass killings is an example of a problem that has not been solved. However, there is work that suggests that solutions are possible. There are relatively peaceful societies.

    Religion is not a con game. Religion is the attempt to understand the supernatural and learn how to live a better life.

    One religious view I heard proposes that each person who contributes to the solution of a problem, deserves equal credit for the solution. So a person who just says an encouraging word to the person who eventually solves one of societies great difficulties may be equally deserving of his / her reward in life beyond our current existence as the person who writes the final published work or builds the hospital.

    Also, since we don't know for sure what will happen after we die, why risk going to a terrible place instead of persevering in this life?[/QUOTE]

    Organized Religion IS a con game. Religion, itself, as I said, is an attempt to answer the question "why are we here?" The answer to that is speculation. And your answer falls into two categories, I'm afraid of death and there is some reward after life for playing the life game correctly. (If that works for you, fine. What ever gets you through the night. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone who holds that view.) Neither works for me.

    Again I'm amused by all the posts trying to proselytize for life. I'm not trying to proselytize for suicide, merely trying to post a rational view as to why it makes sense to some and should not be an anathema to those that don't agree with it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    That's your opinion and that's fine. That's why some people go on living. But your perspective is yours, it doesn't make you "right". It does, in my opinion, mean that those with your perspective should keep living (in an objective sense). Those with mine shouldn't if we don't want to. Perhaps one can simplify the issue to optimists and pessimists. An optimist can't change a pessimist and vice versa (well, sometimes a good pessimist can bum out an optimist). You assume that there is a reason for life, therefore pain may be a good thing. Yours is the typical religious reaction: We're put on earth for a purpose and life is some sort of game that we get points for for completing. Hence the importance for being "brave". I don't and have seen nothing that convinces me otherwise (obviously, or I'd think differently).
    Wrong. I do not assume anything. Especially regarding purpose. In fact, my first sentence was: Well, I think it's all pointless too, but my conclusion is not death, or depression. I gave no indication that I am giving my life purpose or reason.

    Just thought I should clarify that.

    In a way I agree with you. If your point simply is that those who want to commit suicide should and those who don't shouldn't than I'm mostly on board, though I would not agree with the reasons for which people often want to commit suicide, as I've stated. If they are committing suicide because the feel the world is a terrible place than I think it may be in their interest for someone to stop them. If they just want to die because they want to die than I can't argue with that.
    Just because you don't believe that the world is a terrible place doesn't mean that it isn't. Neither life nor therapy has convinced me otherwise. I do believe that anyone contemplating suicide should seek professional help, their reasons may be acute, not chronic, and they may change their mind. If, their world view continues to be negative, for whatever reasons, then they should be allowed to end their own life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Forum Ph.D. Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post

    .




    For me medication worked
    Are you absolutely certain of that ?
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    Yup. Absolutely.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Forum Ph.D. Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    Yup. Absolutely.
    Pleased to hear that.
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    That's your opinion and that's fine. That's why some people go on living. But your perspective is yours, it doesn't make you "right". It does, in my opinion, mean that those with your perspective should keep living (in an objective sense). Those with mine shouldn't if we don't want to. Perhaps one can simplify the issue to optimists and pessimists. An optimist can't change a pessimist and vice versa (well, sometimes a good pessimist can bum out an optimist). You assume that there is a reason for life, therefore pain may be a good thing. Yours is the typical religious reaction: We're put on earth for a purpose and life is some sort of game that we get points for for completing. Hence the importance for being "brave". I don't and have seen nothing that convinces me otherwise (obviously, or I'd think differently).
    Wrong. I do not assume anything. Especially regarding purpose. In fact, my first sentence was: Well, I think it's all pointless too, but my conclusion is not death, or depression. I gave no indication that I am giving my life purpose or reason.

    Just thought I should clarify that.

    In a way I agree with you. If your point simply is that those who want to commit suicide should and those who don't shouldn't than I'm mostly on board, though I would not agree with the reasons for which people often want to commit suicide, as I've stated. If they are committing suicide because the feel the world is a terrible place than I think it may be in their interest for someone to stop them. If they just want to die because they want to die than I can't argue with that.
    Just because you don't believe that the world is a terrible place doesn't mean that it isn't. Neither life nor therapy has convinced me otherwise. I do believe that anyone contemplating suicide should seek professional help, their reasons may be acute, not chronic, and they may change their mind. If, their world view continues to be negative, for whatever reasons, then they should be allowed to end their own life.
    No, you are not understanding!!! I am saying a person who is depressed or suicidal is not this way because of how they view the world! I never said whether or not I believe the world is a terrible place (though I personally try not to judge it either way). Let me rephrase it again. A person suffering from depression or suicidal thoughts related to depression has not reached these feelings because of their world view. A depressed person may begin to see the world as bad, terrible, pointless, etc. but these are not the reasons for which they are depressed!

    My following point is that a person who does think the world is terrible, bad, pointless, etc. is not always someone suffering from depression or suicidal thoughts. I used myself as an example. I don't see any particular purpose or point to life (though I could invent one), yet I am not depressed or suicidal. Understand?
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolontheHill View Post
    Organized Religion IS a con game. Religion, itself, as I said, is an attempt to answer the question "why are we here?" The answer to that is speculation. And your answer falls into two categories, I'm afraid of death and there is some reward after life for playing the life game correctly. (If that works for you, fine. What ever gets you through the night. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone who holds that view.) Neither works for me.

    Again I'm amused by all the posts trying to proselytize for life. I'm not trying to proselytize for suicide, merely trying to post a rational view as to why it makes sense to some and should not be an anathema to those that don't agree with it.
    The purpose of religion is conversion, or to improve. Life is all about improving one's attitude. So I disagree that suicide is a rational choice to a negative world view. The answer is to seek to change yourself or make the world better. "It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness." (Chinese proverb)

    I have seen a lot of people express wrong views about religion. It is usually related to a past history of religious participation where the person just did not get anything out of it. We don't know the reason for this. I think it is related to an unwillingness to submit to God. That can come from from pride, or fear of "control" such as past experience with a controlling type of person who happened to be religious. Nevertheless, that is where I think the answer lies.
    Last edited by dedo; December 7th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #118  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7
    Suicide hurts, leaves the family wishing they had one more day with you. They start to remember things they wish they had done differently. They try to reason as you reason for comfort. Guilt is insurmountable. Emotional pain nothing cures. Don't do it to your family and friends and particularly don't use violence against yourself. You have summed up life, don't die with what you know, share it. Make us understand. They love you and will miss you on top of miss you. Stay around, it's best for all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #119  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    133
    I would never want to commit suicide no matter how much agony I'm in. Nor would I ever request a DNR [Do Not Resucitate] if I experienced life-threatening injuries. Here is why.

    There are many cases of patients who are "clinically dead" and are then brought back to life. During this 'death', these patients are able to perceive the universe in locations beyond the range of normal perception. For example, such a patient can see what is happening in other parts of the hospital and outside the hospital. What the patient perceives is often confirmed by real events. In addition, patients who are born blind can see during this near-death-experience and patients born deaf can hear during the NDE.

    Due to the above, I'm starting to think that there is no such thing as 'death'. What if I experience excruciating "phantom" pain after I 'die'? What if my consciousness enters emotionally-distressing environment after 'death'.

    As interested as I am in altered mental states, I realize that these state can be very traumatic to the psyche. What if I permanently enter a state of torture after 'death'?

    These are reasons why I'd like to stay alive as long as possible. I'm no longer convinced that your death is your end.

    There is just too much that even the most intelligent humans have no clue about.

    For those of you who are contemplating suicide, my logical advice is DON'T. There is high chance that it is impossible to 'die' as you define 'death'. What we measure and body/brain functions may cease to exist, but think about the stuff you canNOT measure. It gets really scary and there is NO escape.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #120  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,308
    but think about the stuff you canNOT measure.
    superstitious nonsense
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #121  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4
    How I see it: to exist or to not exist as compared to live or not to live. In many respects they are similar but we humans do usually place a subjective significant difference. In Darwinism there is a natural selection which is biased in favor of the "strong" survive while the "weak" perish. Every single one of us as an individual are seeking a particular niche to fill. A quote I came across a little time ago is appropriate: "to adapt ourselves with a quiet mind to what is possible and achievable, therein lies happiness." In the Declaration of Independence it appropriately labeled it "pursuit of happiness". We can never hold on to the feeling for any significant amount of time. We are always pursuing the next "big" thing. It comforts us for a time and then we pursue another. The commercial marketeers realize this and prey on this "ignorance" for their own profit. As proud as we are of human achievement some of us at one time or another can not adapt to our environment whether it be the elements or a group of individuals we are in the midst. the reed that bends does not break. Every day we have decisions to make. To become more skilled at these decisions for me is a reasonable goal. some of you may have already realized this and see its futility but the goal will never change. Only I will change and since I realize this I accept the fact that to proceed toward this goal I must make a continuous, persistent effort. this is while I am alive; when I am dead the atoms themselves will exert this effort. the depressing fact is that in any organized system the overall entropy will always increase. I believe this is a law in thermodynamics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #122  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    "Don't Try Suicide" by Queen

    Brain-washed me when I was young. Probably would have otherwise.

    (random fact: the term brain-wash comes from the Chinese term 洗脑)
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #123  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by wojowhiskey View Post
    in any organized system the overall entropy will always increase. I believe this is a law in thermodynamics.
    That only tests true in experiment where the contaminant of life is carefully omitted. However the real universe includes life. A dead pond, given just one drop of life, will eventually evolve plants, animals, picnic tables, and who knows what next.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #124  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    24
    it is harder than you might think
    for a cockroach to commit suicide
    on the other hand the next transmigration
    is likely to be a bit of an improvement

    my roommate frank
    supposedly human
    may well have the soul of a cockroach
    he is a slob
    and a cheapskate
    which works out well for me
    pizza boxes everywhere
    and lots of stuff for cover
    but my buddy mel got careless
    and now his intestines are
    all over the bottom
    of frank s left slipper
    which is not a fate any refined person
    would desire
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #125  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    I was thinking about this in regards to myself.When I got the closest to suicide that I have ever been and crossed the line of thinking about and actually acting strongly on the thoughts and then deciding to do it. I did have a sense of tying up loose ends like I didnt want to have a messy house or clutter to be left to be cleaned up by others.
    Last edited by marnixR; January 2nd, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: deleted spam link
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #126  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16
    i remember a moment in my life when ocured such things... but i'm proud than i'm strong and i could pass that idiot moment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #127  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Vitamin D deficiency.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #128  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    BTW, Are suicide statistics reliable?

    Given that the president of Iran stated that there were no homosexuals in Iran, and that suicide is a taboo subject in many cultures how can we know if suicides are not attributed to accidents instead in a number of regions reporting low suicide rates?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #129  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    652
    Originally "coroner" was an officer of the king's court who investigated if violent death was a suicide or not. Suicides' estates became property of the king. Probably under-reported then and now. So has this fool guy bumped himself off?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #130  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Arthur - if you haven't learned yet that one has to be very, very careful in any kind of discussion about suicide, you'd better do so pronto.

    There's a reason why news services put contact information for Lifeline at the end of such reports or discussions.

    This kind of smart aleckry is seriously out of order.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #131  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    652
    I'm worried about the kid, that's all. Nice to know I'm not the only one, though. Not much any of us can do about the situation one way or another, and it looks like the best and more of advice which can be given, has been given. How are you these days?

    Me, I've been better. Health is too good to end it all anytime soon but too poor to really enjoy life. Looking back at all the poor choices I've made, running out of future. If a kid like fool can feel like that now, how is it going to be for him at my age? Plus I haven't had a drink in years. Was at a job fair again today, another opportunity to stand in line for hours. Wonderful. Now I am trying to show concern for another human being and can't seem to get that right either. Bed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #132  
    Forum Freshman idontknowanything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    56
    I'm 22 and on anti-depressants. Do you have an Xbox 360? We could rip some arms off in Gears of War 3 and beat them with it or run through Beast Mode together killing the humans.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #133  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    652
    No X-box here. Not my thing, really. But if you find that sort of thing therapeutic, who am I to argue?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #134  
    Forum Sophomore somfooleishfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    196
    Thought I should mention I'm still among the living . I don't currently frequent the science forum too often anymore. I've started doing a biochemistry degree which I'm really enjoying so far.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #135  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by somfooleishfool View Post
    Thought I should mention I'm still among the living . I don't currently frequent the science forum too often anymore. I've started doing a biochemistry degree which I'm really enjoying so far.
    That's great to hear man! How are things otherwise? Still living at home and such?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #136  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Oh, good to see.

    You've changed.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #137  
    Forum Sophomore somfooleishfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somfooleishfool View Post
    Thought I should mention I'm still among the living . I don't currently frequent the science forum too often anymore. I've started doing a biochemistry degree which I'm really enjoying so far.
    That's great to hear man! How are things otherwise? Still living at home and such?
    still living at home, my parents are tollerable while im doing something productive so its alright
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #138  
    Forum Ph.D. Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    882
    Good stuff to hear.
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #139  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    112
    Good man
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #140  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Lifes not so bad, when we are young and we discover new things whether we know it to be true or false it affects us in a way that can be quite scarey. The fact that you said if your friends mother died you would be there for him is an act of empathy, it's not your mother to be sad about and also metaphysically when we are hurting inside we become numb to the touch mentally and physically that is. Numbness is a type of feeling. What you are seeing in the world is only a small piece even though it seems like a big part of the world is screwed up once you start learning what's really out there you'll see we are ineviatably moving forward which kind of makes you feel nice. We follow certain guide lines for a purpose, not every human you see is as human as you think after all we are animals and this whole intelligence thing is new to us so you just have to go down your own path and learn your own things. Be the human you want to be and do things your way. When you are emotionally hurt about things and feel numb you don't care what you do to whom or where and you try to think why but you can't understand and that is because it is happening to YOU. Others may see it but they wont fully understand what is underneath your skin, you may have thought of what's wrong several times already but because you don't "feel" or "think" that, that is it then it must not be that.. more often then not it is exactly what is wrong. Religion.. yeah the concept is abit dramatic and unrealistic but some people are so scared of the world they need something to get them through even if that means believing anything. It is better to live and let die. You will discover how realistic "some" things are in your world as you understand it better and then you'll love and laugh and be happy.. at first it may feel corny or embarresing but hey, you'll get over it. OR you could kill yourself and then whatever happens next. Science can't explain that and in it's own right is kind of like religion with it's pro's and cons. I'm not religious or a science freak, I have balance in my life and I face all my fears.

    I hope this helped in some way..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #141  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    I'm 10 years old.
    Posts
    270
    Hey bro, this may sound stupid but now's the worst time to kill yourself! I mean, if you were in 1919 or 1944 fine...who would want to spend their life in a Nazi camp, being injected with 20mL of benzene for the doctors to test LD50s. Here's the thing, the organs in your body are randomly spawn. This means that your heart or your stomach are not designed to best suit your body conformation, they are designed in a random way. This means if your heart was slightly bigger or smaller, it may work wonders on both your personality, your efficiency and happiness. Your problems may be related to such disproportions, nature makes mistakes as we all know it.

    Here's where it gets interesting. Exactly 10 years from now, we will have the technology to manufacture any organs on command or from your genetic code within a week, and replace your own organs robotically within a 10,000$ cost, which is less than 5,000$ in today's money. 15 years from now, the cost of such surgeries will drop below 2,000$ in today's money. Within 20 years, cancer, along with any life-threatening diseases will be curable with 100% rate of success.

    Aren't you curious to see how life might be back then? Don't you want to give them a chance to fix whatever is wrong with you that they can't fix now?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #142  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. The robotic suicide bomber
    By kojax in forum Military Technology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM
  2. Suicide - Paradox?
    By mastermind in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
  3. Is Suicide Wrong?
    By Kolt in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: December 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
  4. Suicide
    By leohopkins in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: August 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
  5. Rules of Suicide are Changing
    By zinjanthropos in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: December 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •