Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Please, help me!!!

  1. #1 Please, help me!!! 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    2
    Dear friends!
    Please, help me! I’m writing the course work ‘The political correctness in English speech countries and Russia’. Your meanings are important for me greatly. I hope, you won’t ignore my questioning and take your opinion. Please!!!!

    Questioning:

    1.What do you think about Political correctness?
    2.Are you politically correct?
    3.What are the advantages/disadvantages of political correctness?

    Thank you very much.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  

    Related Discussions:

     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    1) From a diplomatic stance of view, important. It's important that one can bring a certain nuance in his words, and be able to speak without provocation. On the other side, a person should not always be politically correct. Sometimes, shocking and provocation can help to lure out an opponent and deal with a problem.

    2) I am very much politically correct, too much even, according to some. I see provocation as a last-end resort, and I try to be as creative as I can within the limits that I have set myself. I am known to act as Devil's Advocate, however, in which I abandon all political correctness.

    3) An advantage would have to be being taken seriously. It's hard to take someone seriously who believes all foreigners should be 'deported'. On the opposite side, is that political correctness can lead to a forced way of speech, where no one dares to provoke, where problems are not being addressed, because they are taboo.

    I hope that helped, . Welcome to the Boards, Nathashka.

    Mr U


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The middle padding on your panties
    Posts
    122
    1.What do you think about Political correctness?
    2.Are you politically correct?
    3.What are the advantages/disadvantages of political correctness?
    1. PC is the neatest way to be racist, sexist, prejudiced without admitting it.

    Mr. PC lowers standards for blacks and plays nice because secretly he recognizes their mental disadvantage. Compassionate racism..

    Mr. PC lowers standards for females and plays nice because secretly he recognizes their mental disadvantage. Compassionate sexism.

    Mr. PC changes his vocabulary because his own “prejudice” offends him. And what better method of convincing self, than by convincing others first?

    2. Hell no.

    3. Advantage: biding time.
    Disadvantage: Denial.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    391
    Natashka,

    I hope the reply doesn't come too late ...



    >>1.What do you think about Political correctness? <<

    To be politically correct for the sake of being politically correct is mental impotence, as well as impotence of the heart.

    That is, on the outside, being politically correct does not automatically mean that the person is impotent in heart and mind.
    It is the reasons why they employ political correctness that reveal the person's true motives, and potence.


    >>2.Are you politically correct? <<

    Sometimes, my behaviour can be qualified as "politically correct".
    However, it is not my intention at all to *be* politically correct per se.


    >>3.What are the advantages/disadvantages of political correctness? <<

    A certain communication strategy can be good, if you know how to use it, and if you keep in mind that it is merely a medium, a tool. Same with political correctness.
    The key is to recognize it: the disadvantage is if you don't really know what you are doing, or why.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The tip of your tongue
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by water
    Natashka,

    I hope the reply doesn't come too late ...



    >>1.What do you think about Political correctness? <<

    To be politically correct for the sake of being politically correct is mental impotence, as well as impotence of the heart.
    Though, when patterns filled with rules and forced aesthetics are rammed up the ass of your formerly ‘isolated’ residence, then, in order to keep the fond typifications alive, provocative stances can be forgiven.
    I hate hearing about how "the nigger word means slave!", it does not, not in here.


    Quote Originally Posted by water
    That is, on the outside, being politically correct does not automatically mean that the person is impotent in heart and mind.
    It is the reasons why they employ political correctness that reveal the person's true motives, and potence.
    Yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by water
    >>2.Are you politically correct? <<

    Sometimes, my behaviour can be qualified as "politically correct".
    However, it is not my intention at all to *be* politically correct per se.


    >>3.What are the advantages/disadvantages of political correctness? <<

    A certain communication strategy can be good, if you know how to use it, and if you keep in mind that it is merely a medium, a tool. Same with political correctness.
    The key is to recognize it: the disadvantage is if you don't really know what you are doing, or why.
    Acting with no reconvictions can be great. When someone without a calculative mind communicates and affects his surroundings, it comes as close to the myth of originality as it can.

    To "not knowing what you’re doing" is not necessarily ignorance.

    Example:

    Lacking facts and not caring enough to educate one self is not “not knowing what you’re doing”, it rather is acting in a placement filled with barricades and blindfolds.

    Not knowing what you’re doing could be composing "the ride of the valkyries" or writing about übermench – at least from a retrospective.
    *hitler analogy here*

    Oh, and the chronology… well, fuck logic, I’m bored.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    391
    Perfect,



    Acting with no reconvictions can be great. When someone without a calculative mind communicates and affects his surroundings, it comes as close to the myth of originality as it can.
    Being calculated is not what I was referring to. Go out and start hitting on a giggling teenage girl: Most likely, her behaviour will be incoherent. She will refuse to accept that you really are just a sucker hitting on her just to use her and then dump her. Instead, she will try to make the best of it, and try to turn the thing in a way providing her with the approval she so dearly needs, and she'll play the I-am-good-and-innocent game, which will, in turn, command her to try to make you act the same -- and this inspite your obvious villany.
    If the girl knew what she wants, what is good for her, if she had conviction -- she wouldn't seek the approval of someone whom she disapproves of.

    PC is often just that: Seeking approval of someone whom one disapproves of.
    Seeking approval of someone whom one disapproves of -- that is not knowing what you're doing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    1. PC is the neatest way to be racist, sexist, prejudiced without admitting it.

    Mr. PC lowers standards for blacks and plays nice because secretly he recognizes their mental disadvantage. Compassionate racism..

    Mr. PC lowers standards for females and plays nice because secretly he recognizes their mental disadvantage. Compassionate sexism.

    Mr. PC changes his vocabulary because his own “prejudice” offends him. And what better method of convincing self, than by convincing others first?

    2. Hell no.

    3. Advantage: biding time.
    Disadvantage: Denial.
    What a peculiar thing to say. I think of myself as politically correct, although I sometimes have a slip of the tongue when it comes to the definition of 'blacks', as there doesn't really seem a term in Dutch, my primary language, that is acceptable.

    I admit that the position of minorities is sometimes less than desirable and there are multiple causes for this, including taking on a victim-role, and actual discrimination based on race. I am liberal-progressive, and against lowering the standard for anyone. I'm against making companies reflections of society, and believe that it's the responsible of the entrepreneur to hire people who he wishes to have in his company. I find it difficult to believe anyone would not want to hire the best person for the job.
    I might be naive, but at least my mind is clean, and I'm politically correct.

    I'm not sure of what you mean with the second, but I do not often change my vocabulary unless I find that it assaults people. I just have the luck of my views matching those of the settled order, in a way.

    However, I find this a limited way of thinking. I make a distinction of what is best for the Netherlands with their way of thinking, and what I think would be best fot the Netherlands, ideas who radically differ. For example, I'm pro-individualistic, eugenetic and for the enhancement of human life to the fullest.

    That is not in the least politically correct, but I am politically correct when it suits the topic. Why? Because politics, the settled order is not comprised of morons, despite what we tell ourselves. Western politicians on average intelligent people, and do tend to think about what they do. Though their interests might be dubious, their points are often well based. I do not believe it is unethical to agree with them and be politically correct.

    Mr U
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    I'm not sure of what you mean with the second, but I do not often change my vocabulary unless I find that it assaults people.
    So you say something you normally wouldn't?


    I just have the luck of my views matching those of the settled order, in a way.
    Luck? Your choice -- your conscious choice and will -- of your morals is based on luck? Basically, you are saying that you didn't really have much to do with the choice of your morals?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    No, I have nothing to do with the choice of morals of others. While my own set of morals are quite developed and complex, the morals of my surroundings are not. I am lucky to be living in a surrounding where the moral values are comparable (in some ways) to my own.

    So you say something you normally wouldn't?
    When I know it offends someone? Well, it depends on the effect I was trying to gain. I'm not someone who uses provocation as a tool often, because I feel that peole are more likely to do as they are told when they think you like them.

    Mr U
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The tip of your tongue
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by water
    Perfect,



    Acting with no reconvictions can be great. When someone without a calculative mind communicates and affects his surroundings, it comes as close to the myth of originality as it can.
    Being calculated is not what I was referring to. Go out and start hitting on a giggling teenage girl: Most likely, her behaviour will be incoherent. She will refuse to accept that you really are just a sucker hitting on her just to use her and then dump her. Instead, she will try to make the best of it, and try to turn the thing in a way providing her with the approval she so dearly needs, and she'll play the I-am-good-and-innocent game, which will, in turn, command her to try to make you act the same -- and this inspite your obvious villany.
    If the girl knew what she wants, what is good for her, if she had conviction -- she wouldn't seek the approval of someone whom she disapproves of.

    PC is often just that: Seeking approval of someone whom one disapproves of.
    Seeking approval of someone whom one disapproves of -- that is not knowing what you're doing.

    One.

    One implements value to mental establishments and molds oneself in order to guide the self away from a specious state.
    This is completely conscious as well as essential for the individual.

    Seeking for common grounds, educating oneself to add substance to the facet of ‘this is what I now am, this is what I know’.
    Exfoliating not to unveil the truth but to complement the compromise.



    Two.

    The ‘weaker’ counterpart is perplexed and can’t see why the exempted seems so.. fresh.

    The clinging sensation.

    Lacking the ability for salient stances forces the person (without realization) to seek approval, as you put it.

    A person with a blockade and convictions laying out rules and codes of conduct.

    Like… I don’t give a fuck about your girlfriend without a proper analogy, analysis and a few quotes.
    You deliver the message with sugar on top, unless you feel to be my equal.
    Then it’s either: “The abstract stance she so loves exceeds the.. yadi yada..”
    Or: “LOL, yeh, she told it all to her girlz, haha”

    Equals hanging about in chat-rooms.
    Equals complaining how they can’t get laid; how they’re the nice guys that go without.
    You know… complaining about the simple mindedness of women that drives them into the arms of the rugged.

    So, I guess the guy who hits her girlfriend is not her equal.
    Rather the guy who sees the beating and thinks to himself “how terrible, I would never do that. I would cherish her. If only I knew what chat-rooms she visits” is.

    Still, the hitter has a pose that keeps them coming to him all his life.
    Otherwise he would be complaining how no one appreciates a nice, regular fellow.
    Yet, what a pussy; mental pose excels over physical.

    Now, the funny thing is that the receiver (the girl) will form these conclusions.
    The receiver will appoint these principles yet being unable to act upon them.
    Therefore this is frivolous and she can’t appreciate the scenario nor take any advantage of it.

    And no, these are not concrete positions. I do not agree nor believe in anything I ponder.

    Seems to me, there’s a strong sense of insight present in some aspects of approval.
    At least to people who are able to perceive it.
    Guess they know what they’re doing.


    Niggers complaining about racisms cuz’ they gots no salient stances, they cling to me; wanting me to change my views.
    Muahahaha, only joking.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    New Member Midnightblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Under the heavens
    Posts
    4
    No, I have nothing to do with the choice of morals of others. While my own set of morals are quite developed and complex, the morals of my surroundings are not. I am lucky to be living in a surrounding where the moral values are comparable (in some ways) to my own.
    Live in Amsterdam, do you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Re: Please, help me!!! 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Natashka
    Dear friends!
    Please, help me! I’m writing the course work ‘The political correctness in English speech countries and Russia’. Your meanings are important for me greatly. I hope, you won’t ignore my questioning and take your opinion. Please!!!!

    Questioning:

    1.What do you think about Political correctness?
    2.Are you politically correct?
    3.What are the advantages/disadvantages of political correctness?

    Thank you very much.
    1. It sucks and I do not accept it.

    2. No.

    3. There are none that I know of .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Canopy
    Posts
    16
    Being "PC" is kinda okay I guess.. it's just that people always take it over the edge. You need to find the medium. One does not have to tell otehrs and themself they are PC they just have to know they are not being stupid. I believe that there was a philosophy discussion once about racial slurs and some people were to scared to say words that were not PC in the class. I am not racist or anything, but i would still use a derogatory term in discussion about it and not be fearful of not being PC.
    All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
    -Buddha
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The middle padding on your panties
    Posts
    122
    Pardon delay, forum layout.

    Homounis:
    I am liberal-progressive, and against lowering the standard for anyone. I'm against making companies reflections of society, and believe that it's the responsible of the entrepreneur to hire people who he wishes to have in his company. I find it difficult to believe anyone would not want to hire the best person for the job.
    I might be naive, but at least my mind is clean, and I'm politically correct.
    Do you even know what you are?

    The liberal progressive seeks to lower standards as this is his defintion of progress.
    You're way over there, me way over here, so you likely don't know what I'm talking about.

    Affirmitive action is a neat facet of their thinking. The school and the work place have certain standards to which all social groups are theoretically subjected.
    But the liberal, refusing to admit or reluctant to ackowlege that a Black or a Hispaninc is less then qualified to meet these standards, advocates a modification of those standards.

    By lowering.

    To wit, the best companies are refections of scoiety because business demands that they should be- consider what happens to mom and pop businesses who refuse to adapt when a Wal Mart debuts in their plaza.
    Ask yourself why it is that Japan, a rigid almost homogenous society, is far less versatile and therefore less successful than America.
    Ask yourself why democracies are so lucrative.

    Social correctness, however, is bad for business- you're right.
    But social rigidity isn't.

    I'm not advocating political correcteness here, only pointing out the merits of diversity.

    I'm not sure of what you mean with the second, but I do not often change my vocabulary unless I find that it assaults people. I just have the luck of my views matching those of the settled order, in a way.
    I mean that the PC Man has inhereted guilt he did nothing to gain.
    "Negro" offends him beuause -EEK!- his grandaddy-daddy's-daddy had slaves and here he is a white boy, drinking latte, thinking "negro".


    Does that that mean I'm prejudice??!! Is it in the blood??! Oh my gawd, can anyone tell I just thought Negro??

    So he'll say African American instead.

    We call it Southern Guilt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Ask yourself why it is that Japan, a rigid almost homogenous society, is far less versatile and therefore less successful than America.
    Ask yourself why democracies are so lucrative.
    Versatility can be atttributed to a lot of things. Toyotism, in my opinion, is less vergatile, because of it's dependance on hierarchy, and the underdevelopment of creativity. Not it's ethnic composition.

    However, I must admit that I have not done any looking into this aspect, and am curious to your thoughts on this. Could you perhaps elaborate?

    I understand that your definition of liberal-progessive and mine differ. Perhaps libertarian is more suitable. I am often confused by the varying titles that people attribute to themselves. Often conservatives are less conservative than non-conservatives.

    Does that that mean I'm prejudice??!! Is it in the blood??! Oh my gawd, can anyone tell I just thought Negro??

    So he'll say African American instead.

    We call it Southern Guilt.
    Well, my thoughts vary on this subject, and that's why I pick the 'easy way'. Either, I could go like "people should not be offended by words", and expect people with dark skin colour (whether african or from other parts of the world) to realise that they are causing themselves grief, and not others them, or I can be nice to them, and not offend them.

    It's a pickle.

    Mr U
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    I do try to respect others and don't try to be mean or disruptive to them. That is of course they are disruptive to me then the gloves come off.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •