Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Feeling happy boosts your brain

  1. #1 Feeling happy boosts your brain 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,840
    Interesting article in New Scientist.

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-too-much.html

    Apparently, the simple act of feeling happy has many benefits beyond the feeling. When you are happy, your brains works better. Better at planning. Better at problem solving. Better at absorbing information.

    Also happiness improves social skills, and makes not so nice people into good people.

    The article also suggests strategies for increasing happiness. Something as simple as keeping a diary, and writing your emotions down every day apparently boosts good feelings. A little meditation with mental focus on what nice things have happened to you, for a few minutes every day has long term benefits.

    We have known for a long time that laughter is healthy. Simple happiness is also good.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Apopohis Reject's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    489
    Have you ever tried to be happy? You know - when for some reason you are lacking happiness? Such is quite simply an exercise in futility, for happiness in itself, is not a controllable commodity as such, but is rather - a RESULT!

    I would suggest that prior to 'happiness' emerging for our consciousness, we initially need to make a choice of a substantive genetic relevance, that unlike happiness, can actually be controlled by choice, and which in turn will generate a sense of happiness or joy.

    Something like thankfulness should fit the bill, yet you indeed have alluded to this, with;
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    The article also suggests strategies for increasing happiness......A little meditation with mental focus on what nice things have happened to you, for a few minutes every day has long term benefits.


    sunshinewarrior: If two people are using the same word, but applying different meanings to it, then they're not communicating.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Maverick Earhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    "Also happiness improves social skills, and makes not so nice people into good people."

    -I like the idea of a cascade effect of good will though. Confucius' Golden Rule: "What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others."

    “It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”
    -Robert F. Kennedy
    "The time-line rests on a balance of decision making. Wisdom is: stupid decides, stupid learns. History can be forgiving; but writing is stone cold."
    -Maverick Earhart
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman The Vegan Marxist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    20
    Anyway of providing the article here. I'm not a subscriber of the New Scientist. So it won't allow me to see the article without paying for it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Not my case 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17
    I don't really know how to be happy, consciously ...

    There are moments of arousal, triggered by certain events or behavior in the environment but I don't understand the concept of happiness unless a stimuli if present to my interest.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: Feeling happy boosts your brain 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    Interesting article in New Scientist.

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-too-much.html

    Apparently, the simple act of feeling happy has many benefits beyond the feeling. When you are happy, your brains works better. Better at planning. Better at problem solving. Better at absorbing information.

    Also happiness improves social skills, and makes not so nice people into good people.

    The article also suggests strategies for increasing happiness. Something as simple as keeping a diary, and writing your emotions down every day apparently boosts good feelings. A little meditation with mental focus on what nice things have happened to you, for a few minutes every day has long term benefits.

    We have known for a long time that laughter is healthy. Simple happiness is also good.


    The question is: what was first chicken or an egg?

    Are we happy because our brain tells us that we are happy?

    Can we influence our neurotransmitters and neurohormones?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman Bellerophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Apopohis Reject
    Have you ever tried to be happy? You know - when for some reason you are lacking happiness? Such is quite simply an exercise in futility, for happiness in itself, is not a controllable commodity as such, but is rather - a RESULT!
    Not so fast. Going through the motions of being happy, if only forcefully make your self smile, alters the chemistry of your brain. This is one of the core assumptions of rational emotive behavior therapy(REBT, a form of CBT). You can, in a sense, "trick" your brain into thinking that you're happy (or at least happier). You might not feel the effect right away, but you can train your ability to "make" yourself happy over time (Lyon & Woods, 1990)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    11
    Very interesting. In terms of happiness, I find that the more you know yourself the end result is inner peace and tranquility. Thus, happiness. A tad off topic, but there's profound wisdom in the link of knowledge of yourself and pure bliss.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Can anyone copy and paste the article for those of us who don't have a subscription?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1
    It is important to understand which things prevent us from feeling happy. Realizing these causes precisely we'll be able to change some details in our life and get new opportunities to be happier and more confident in our future!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    If anyone is interested, by the way, I wrote a blog post on happiness, in which I tried to summarize what I consider to be the best data from positive psychology.

    http://apesinelysium.blogspot.com/20...happiness.html

    I'm not spamming or anything - if it's against the rules to post this link, please let me know and I'll take it out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman Bellerophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by God_of_Biomechanics
    Can anyone copy and paste the article for those of us who don't have a subscription?
    I only have a hardcopy, I don't think it's available online, only the abstract.
    “All this science I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week.” -RocketMan

    "Sometimes an ashtray is the only way to get a point across" -Thomas Kuhn (not really, but close) via O'Connor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3
    Hi!

    You just proved my point. Thanks for the article!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •