Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: liquid watter on mars??

  1. #1 liquid watter on mars?? 
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    scientists say that mars is warming due to global storms and melting the ice caps there im thinking isent it possable that theres liquid watter on mars and the sutable conditions for life? mars isent that much colder then earth it would be like 10 degrese lower everwere and marse has a atmosphere. its the only thing i havent heard from scientists. im wondering why not? the conditions are right. and scientists say mars has more mild bland tempatures like earth the carbon dioxide in the caps is warming mars up


    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    127
    not only that, i've heard somewhere they found methane in mars's atmosphere. a good indicator something is living there
    i get the feeling life in the universe is much more common than we think

    i wonder how hard it would be to put life on mars ourselves...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    very improbable what ever is growing on mars it is common to the atmosphere and conditions of mars it is highly improbable that enything on earth could live more then 2 minutes on mars
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    127
    that really depends if there's liquid water below the surface or not. if there is, microbes from earth might stand a chance of survival there... not really sure what they'd do for food though
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    well if we brong like a varity of different extremofiles that live is hard conditions of our earth we could make a small self sutanible ecosystem on marse wouldent we? they would probobly not evolve into enything multicellular but life indeed
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    one extrimofile i can think of would be the watter bear and would live happly on mars would it not?
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    127
    water bears are animals, they need oxygen.
    even if that weren't the case they would still need nourishment,
    microbes or plants might get their energy from photosynthesis but mars's distance from the sun could make that difficult... nevermind plants need nitrogen, an element that is almost nonexistent on mars

    i guess the problem with life on mars isent one of water or atmosphere, but nutrients

    we could supply over a relatively small area though...

    mabye we could a lander with some bacteria samples, seeds and the right stuff to keep em alive?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman Lightingbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    63
    Doesn't Mars lack a atmosphere?

    Besides, from my understanding the only place that there is any possible life would be on the north pole of the planet. Even then, would it be logical for anything other than mico organisms? Clearly there was water on the planet at one point in its history. Although its not there now. Unless its underground. Even then, would it be H2o? Perhaps methane?

    I guess my point is that I think that a team of humans with the right equipment could make the six month journey and set up shop and explore the world. Live there, based on our current information of the world. I don't think its possible, much less actual life on the planet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by medlakeguy
    water bears are animals, they need oxygen.
    even if that weren't the case they would still need nourishment,
    microbes or plants might get their energy from photosynthesis but mars's distance from the sun could make that difficult... nevermind plants need nitrogen, an element that is almost nonexistent on mars

    i guess the problem with life on mars isent one of water or atmosphere, but nutrients

    we could supply over a relatively small area though...

    mabye we could a lander with some bacteria samples, seeds and the right stuff to keep em alive?
    There are several lithotrophic extremophiles that can derive energy from oxidizing iron, and sulfide. Some of which are psychrophiles that can live in extreme cold. If liquid water exist on Mars, then there are probably archeae and bacteria here on earth capable of living there. Everywhere we've been on Earth organisms have been found there, from the bottom of the ocean to ice encased lakes in Antarctica.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21
    Hey, bacteria survived on earth before there was oxygen...
    we would need to find a way to have food on the planet, and that would be the biggest problem...
    SCIENCE BOWL RULES AND SO DOES FUEL CELL CAR RACE
    IF ANY OF YOU HAVE HEARD OF IT
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Posts
    135
    The problem I often contemplate is, if Mars has a reduced atmosphere and no magnetosphere, wouldn't the increased exposure to high-energy particles from space make any kind of surface life nearly impossible? Or am I overestimating the impact?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchi
    The problem I often contemplate is, if Mars has a reduced atmosphere and no magnetosphere, wouldn't the increased exposure to high-energy particles from space make any kind of surface life nearly impossible? Or am I overestimating the impact?
    It would make it very difficult for most life, however there are radiation resistant bacteria that have high levels of DNA repair proteins. I think the problem is that on Earth we can find organisms that can survive in a place that has extreme heat, extreme cold, high salt content, or in strongly acidic solutions, but rarely would an organism on Earth have to be able to survive so many combined adverse environmental conditions at the same time. Anyway there is no surface water on Mars at the moment, so there are definitely no surface organisms on Mars.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: liquid watter on mars?? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by numb3rs
    scientists say that mars is warming due to global storms and melting the ice caps there im thinking isent it possable that theres liquid watter on mars and the sutable conditions for life? mars isent that much colder then earth it would be like 10 degrese lower everwere and marse has a atmosphere. its the only thing i havent heard from scientists. im wondering why not? the conditions are right. and scientists say mars has more mild bland tempatures like earth the carbon dioxide in the caps is warming mars up
    Water is everywhere throughout the universe.
    The star eruptions are the result of explosions when oxides impact on the stars.
    The byproduct of these explosions is water.

    I read that the northern polar cap on Mars is ice water while the southern cap is carbon dioxide ice.

    I think the best place to look for life would be the equatorial regions where the temperatures are the warmest.
    Traces of bacterial life could be possible but at the present time , it is just speculatiuon.

    Cosmo

    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •