Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Red Shift???

  1. #1 Red Shift??? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5
    Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't light begin to slow down and shift to a lower wavelength if it has to travel hundreds of Lightyears to reach us.

    So wouldn't the red shift phenomena just be a result of Light traveling a long way and is therefore not evidence that the universe is expanding?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore basim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    maldives
    Posts
    138
    yeah
    i think you are right.
    It is possible what u said.
    let me wait for some more reply. :wink:


    God is one and only.

    God knows the best.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    This is the so-called "tired light" theory.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tired_light

    It is not very popular today for various reasons discussed in the article.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5
    That theory really doesn't explain anything to me. (please pardon my ignorance)

    The speed of light is a constant, so how can a single particle Given a specific amount of thrust possibly maintain such a constant speed over near infinite distances without losing any energy at all to maintain ts speed. Also if no light lost any of its energy how come we cant look from space and see all the way to the edge of the universe?

    I apologize if I sound really stupid I really never did take any advanced classes in school and I'm not intelligent enough to go to college.
    I hope the voices stop soon, their driving me crazy!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    The speed of light is a constant, so how can a single particle Given a specific amount of thrust possibly maintain such a constant speed over near infinite distances without losing any energy at all to maintain ts speed. Also if no light lost any of its energy how come we cant look from space and see all the way to the edge of the universe?
    The light is traveling through a vacuum, so there is nothing to stop it. It is not a perfect vacuum so some of the light is absorbed or reflected, some makes it through untouched.

    According to the relativity theorists, there is no edge of the universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: Red Shift??? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't light begin to slow down and shift to a lower wavelength if it has to travel hundreds of Lightyears to reach us.

    So wouldn't the red shift phenomena just be a result of Light traveling a long way and is therefore not evidence that the universe is expanding?
    Yes.
    But the light is not tiring.
    I wrote an article about the 'Expansion of Light Waves' that promotes an 'intrinsic force' within the photons that cause the photons to expand slowly.

    It is possibly on one of the latter pages with my previous nickname.

    Mike C
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    yes, if you could get into a VERY fast spaceship and left earth and traveled straight away from earth, you would end up back at the earth eventually. like the inside of a ball.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    mike c, if i may ask, could you maybe answer my question on this post? no-one seems to have an answer and you seem to have them.

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...=8330&start=15
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    mike c, if i may ask, could you maybe answer my question on this post? no-one seems to have an answer and you seem to have them.

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...=8330&start=15
    Black holes do not exist.
    If they did, they would be visible and detected in this modern age.

    Black Holes would be visible because the light passing just outside the 'event horizon' would create a weak spherical globe of light around this EH to be visible. This globe would be the light from around the backgroun stars that surround the BH.

    BH's are supposed to be the remnants of 'giant blue stars' that have burned themselves out.
    In the past history of our galaxy, there must have been a large number of these stars. So there should have been one or two in our vicinity to be detected. There are none.

    Mike C
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C

    Black Holes would be visible because the light passing just outside the 'event horizon' would create a weak spherical globe of light around this EH to be visible. This globe would be the light from around the backgroun stars that surround the BH.
    Why on earth would you think this...?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    i think he might be thinking of the lens effect?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    a reality you have all yet to properly explain
    Posts
    902
    The Land of Oz doesn't really exist, right?

    But, we have evidence on a silver screen it does.

    The Flying Monkeys, on that silver screen, man, "they're real".

    So what makes the stars so real?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    ...how come we cant look from space and see all the way to the edge of the universe?
    There's stuff in the way. Dust, rocks, stars, nebula, galaxies, Gene Roddenberry...

    And that whole distance thing, too...
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    a reality you have all yet to properly explain
    Posts
    902
    .....popcorn......

    ......kids playing under seats........

    ............cigarette smoke......................

    ....................back seat.................................
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    drugs are evil
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    a reality you have all yet to properly explain
    Posts
    902
    don't get 2 self aware???????

    right?

    You were humoring I?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    a reality you have all yet to properly explain
    Posts
    902
    so is MSG.

    so is bad sex.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C

    Black Holes would be visible because the light passing just outside the 'event horizon' would create a weak spherical globe of light around this EH to be visible. This globe would be the light from around the backgroun stars that surround the BH.
    Why on earth would you think this...?
    Well, 'Event Horizons' are portrayed to surround 'black holes'.
    Since they are the outer edges of BH's, wouln't these EH's bend light just outside their borders?
    Think!

    Mike C
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Light that hits the event horizon doesn't automatically scatter all over the place. It exits in a place that corresponds more or less with where it entered. If all the light from a particular source arrives together from one direction, then all that light will leave together from another.

    As far as the redshift in general, I'm happy to leave it as a mystery. Rushing to an answer about everything creates entrenchment, and invariably blocks the way to real science, because if anyone ever actually figures out the real answer, they end up having to overcome the entrenchment in addition the the basic challenge of proving their theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C

    Black Holes would be visible because the light passing just outside the 'event horizon' would create a weak spherical globe of light around this EH to be visible. This globe would be the light from around the backgroun stars that surround the BH.
    Why on earth would you think this...?
    Well, 'Event Horizons' are portrayed to surround 'black holes'.
    Since they are the outer edges of BH's, wouln't these EH's bend light just outside their borders?
    Think!

    Mike C
    What you are talking about is known as Gravitational Lensing: Where light from many sources behind a large gravitational body is bent more in some closer to the body than further away. This would NOT form a sphere of light however and needs many different sources of light behind the bpdy such as galaxies

    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C

    Black Holes would be visible because the light passing just outside the 'event horizon' would create a weak spherical globe of light around this EH to be visible. This globe would be the light from around the backgroun stars that surround the BH.
    Why on earth would you think this...?
    Well, 'Event Horizons' are portrayed to surround 'black holes'.
    Since they are the outer edges of BH's, wouln't these EH's bend light just outside their borders?
    Think!

    Mike C
    What you are talking about is known as Gravitational Lensing: Where light from many sources behind a large gravitational body is bent more in some closer to the body than further away. This would NOT form a sphere of light however and needs many different sources of light behind the bpdy such as galaxies

    Well yes. It is similar to GL but you cannot make a direct comparison to the GL of galaxies because of the structural differences, distances and numbers.

    Stars are much more numerous here in our galaxy that would surround any existant BH's if there were any.

    Mike C
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •