Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: to have forested/if given the right Condition??

  1. #1 to have forested/if given the right Condition?? 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    176
    The primary reason for the search is basic curiosity - the same curiosity about the natural world that drives all pure science. We want to know whether we are alone in the Universe. We want to know whether life evolves naturally if given the right conditions, or whether there is something very special about the Earth to have fostered the variety of life forms that we see around us on the planet.

    Source : http://www.ieltsg.co...g practice test
    .................................................. ..
    Would you kindly explain "life evolves naturally if given the right conditions, or whether there is something very special about the Earth to have fostered the variety of life forms" ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    176
    Thank you so much, but could you please tell me what can be meant " naturally" here?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    "forested"
    "fostered"
    (is one of us confused?)

    hmm

    no forests without fungi
    no fungi without uv protection
    no ozone without autotrophs
    no autotrophs without water

    the thing evolved
    and, in it's evolution fostered new symbiotic lifeforms.

    certainly special
    likely not unique
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Moderator Request: sculptor you really are not helping. Please do not pollute a thread, in which a member is seeking to improve their grasp of English, with your pseudopoetic ramblings.
    Strange likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by nima_persian View Post
    ..................................................
    Would you kindly explain "life evolves naturally if given the right conditions, or whether there is something very special about the Earth to have fostered the variety of life forms" ?
    We really don't have enough information to know the answer to that question. What we do know is life started and evolved here about 4 billion years ago. We are not sure where it started though...on a chemical pool near the surface? In something like the deep sea volcanic vents? In some crystalline or sedimentary mud matrix? Some even suggest it might have been seeded from another planet such as Mars. It is quite likely the original information is lost so at best we might get is a strong hypothesis.

    We're still pretty early in exploring our own solar system--no evidence thus far for life, though we finding liquid water beneath think icy surfaces might be pretty common on moons and dwarf planets.

    We don't have any evidence for life in other solar systems either but power of direct observation is still poor.

    And there's a bunch of hypothetical biochemistry conditions such as hydrocarbon solvents instead of water that are also seem they might be possible but far from being shown as even viable.

    Most tantalizing is if either alternative biochemistry or icy moons might have possible conditions for life, our idea of habitable zones would increase by orders of magnitude.

    In short...We just don't know.
    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    it would seem, John that you have completely misunderstood my posting above.

    As the shared co-evolutionary biom evolved, each step created the conditions that fostered the the next step.
    The ones I listed are but a small fraction showing the symbiotic relationships of the more complex whole.

    and directly answered the question posed in the op
    whether there is something very special about the Earth to have fostered the variety of life forms that we see around us on the planet.
    the thing that is "special" is the evolution of the biom by the participant members during each phase of evolution, and how each evolving condition fostered the next step.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Sculptor, your posting has the usual pseudo-intellectual trappings you invest most of your posts with. I could see what you were saying, but it is sufficiently dense to confuse someone who is trying to improve their English. Posting it here was rude and anti-social. I am urging you, as a member, to wise up and limit such interventions to threads where most readers can safely ignore you.
    Strange likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    And there's a bunch of hypothetical biochemistry conditions such as hydrocarbon solvents instead of water that are also seem they might be possible but far from being shown as even viable.

    Hydrocarbon solvents? Could you give me an example?

    Quote Originally Posted by nima_persian View Post
    The primary reason for the search is basic curiosity - the same curiosity about the natural world that drives all pure science. We want to know whether we are alone in the Universe. We want to know whether life evolves naturally if given the right conditions, or whether there is something very special about the Earth to have fostered the variety of life forms that we see around us on the planet.

    Source : http://www.ieltsg.co...g practice test
    .................................................. ..
    Would you kindly explain "life evolves naturally if given the right conditions, or whether there is something very special about the Earth to have fostered the variety of life forms" ?

    I hope that the test will improve your communication skills.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    And there's a bunch of hypothetical biochemistry conditions such as hydrocarbon solvents instead of water that are also seem they might be possible but far from being shown as even viable.

    Hydrocarbon solvents? Could you give me an example?
    Methane, ethane, ethene etc.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. IS this a known condition? : Unusual Unawareness
    By icewendigo in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
  2. Equilibrium condition for a lever..?
    By Jasper in forum Physics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM
  3. Pre and post condition simple question...
    By amjad90 in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM
  4. condition for a satellite
    By sak in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
  5. The Human Condition
    By Kolt in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •