Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By exchemist
  • 1 Post By jdaly08307

Thread: Space Exploration - What professionals are needed?

  1. #1 Space Exploration - What professionals are needed? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Hi Everyone!

    I am new to the forum and happy to be here! I'm a writer of sorts and am working on a short story about space travel and the human population of a distant planet. I have read a plethora of articles on what technology would be required in the future for travel (ei: propulsion systems), how to sustain life during, how long it would take and so on..

    I have come up with a number to embark on this mission as one hundred and thirty people all of various skills, I chose this number for psychological, inbreeding and other reasons. What I'm stuck on are the types of professionals needed for travel to then population of a planet. What I've come up with so far is as follows:

    Doctors
    Surgeons
    Navigation
    Geologists
    Astronomers
    Mechanics
    An array of Scientists
    Engineers

    This is a short list just to keep my query brief. If any of you can think of an article I should read or can give me an idea of what you think would be necessary I would appreciate it!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaly08307 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

    I am new to the forum and happy to be here! I'm a writer of sorts and am working on a short story about space travel and the human population of a distant planet. I have read a plethora of articles on what technology would be required in the future for travel (ei: propulsion systems), how to sustain life during, how long it would take and so on..

    I have come up with a number to embark on this mission as one hundred and thirty people all of various skills, I chose this number for psychological, inbreeding and other reasons. What I'm stuck on are the types of professionals needed for travel to then population of a planet. What I've come up with so far is as follows:

    Doctors
    Surgeons
    Navigation
    Geologists
    Astronomers
    Mechanics
    An array of Scientists
    Engineers

    This is a short list just to keep my query brief. If any of you can think of an article I should read or can give me an idea of what you think would be necessary I would appreciate it!
    I would also suggest a couple each of of writers, musicians, historians and priests. If you want a healthy community, you will need to attend to the life of the mind and to enable it to feel connected to the rest of humankind. But I admit my first thought, like PhDemon's, was of course "telephone sanitisers".


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Carpenters
    Plumbers
    Electricians
    Welders
    Cooks
    Liberian (with books)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Liberian (with books)
    Someone from Liberia?
    This starship is clearly sailing under a flag of convenience.
    sculptor likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    I hate to say it, but you might need military/army/security as well, depending on what the situation at the destination planet is...or even just to keep the peace among 130 people cramped into a tiny space for extended periods of time with no way out. And a psychologist or counsellor might come in handy, too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    One hundred and thirty people is wholly inadequate to provide sufficient genetic diversity for the future population.

    The selection of expertise also, it seems to me, grossly underestimates the range of specialisations required to sustain a sophisticated technological society. I suspect that one thousand experts might barely scrape through to the level that is needed. The only solution I can see is this:

    Expertise is provided by advanced AIs. The humans are generalists who are capable of rapidly learning and applying, through mental, or mechanical aptitude, the solutions proposed by the AIs. Depending upon the time this is set these AIs are either accessed externally, or the knowledge is imparted directly to the brain of the recipient. (This allows you to create tensions relating to pro and anti cyborg groups.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    These are all very good ideas, though I'm not quite sure I understand the sanitizer portion though I read part of the reference.

    Gardeners, historians, religious followings, very nice.

    I had already thought of the ship's computer main frame being Artificially Intelligent but had not considered drones or the ability to implant information into each person...that would raise completely new questions and give each person capabilities I had not considered..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,011
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Broadway shows and a music room/library to escape the Broadway shows. Check.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,011
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    But that's OK, it would be soundproofed.

    It's when the show is on that others might retreat to a place of tranquility.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,011
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    But that's OK, it would be soundproofed.

    It's when the show is on that others might retreat to a place of tranquility.
    BRAT!! *chuckle*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    But that's OK, it would be soundproofed.

    It's when the show is on that others might retreat to a place of tranquility.
    BRAT!! *chuckle*
    I like music very much and am a keen choral singer. But musical taste is an extremely personal and individual thing. Music is so insistent: it gets right inside you, whether you want it to or not. And I've always found musicals have - to my taste - particularly banal musical writing. (Spoken theatre is of course another story entirely.)

    On which subject, on NO account should there be ANY piped music, whatsoever, anywhere, on this spacecraft!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,011
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    But that's OK, it would be soundproofed.

    It's when the show is on that others might retreat to a place of tranquility.
    BRAT!! *chuckle*
    I like music very much and am a keen choral singer. But musical taste is an extremely personal and individual thing. Music is so insistent: it gets right inside you, whether you want it to or not. And I've always found musicals have - to my taste - particularly banal musical writing. (Spoken theatre is of course another story entirely.)

    On which subject, on NO account should there be ANY piped music, whatsoever, anywhere, on this spacecraft!
    I have performed music professionally since the age of 13. *chuckle*Piped music is not acceptable.......and I agree we all have our own musical tastes. I ADORE MUSICALS....being a musical performe..very difficult to perform and do right....and a play comedic performer also.... *S*....*spoken theatre*.....actually musicals are also spoken theatre. *S* we shall have to agree to disagree on this on this being my profession and this being your opinion. No offense intended.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    But that's OK, it would be soundproofed.

    It's when the show is on that others might retreat to a place of tranquility.
    BRAT!! *chuckle*
    I like music very much and am a keen choral singer. But musical taste is an extremely personal and individual thing. Music is so insistent: it gets right inside you, whether you want it to or not. And I've always found musicals have - to my taste - particularly banal musical writing. (Spoken theatre is of course another story entirely.)

    On which subject, on NO account should there be ANY piped music, whatsoever, anywhere, on this spacecraft!
    I have performed music professionally since the age of 13. *chuckle*Piped music is not acceptable.......and I agree we all have our own musical tastes. I ADORE MUSICALS....being a musical performe..very difficult to perform and do right....and a play comedic performer also.... *S*....*spoken theatre*.....actually musicals are also spoken theatre. *S* we shall have to agree to disagree on this on this being my profession and this being your opinion. No offense intended.
    Each to his, or perhaps rather, her, own. (In some circles in this country, if you describe a man as "a confirmed bachelor with a taste for musical theatre", it would be code for his sexual orientation.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,011
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    A Broadway SHOW!!! I mean you need entertainment!
    …so long as there is a library and a music room, where one can go to escape Broadway shows…....
    I'd be IN the music room rehearsing!
    But that's OK, it would be soundproofed.

    It's when the show is on that others might retreat to a place of tranquility.
    BRAT!! *chuckle*
    I like music very much and am a keen choral singer. But musical taste is an extremely personal and individual thing. Music is so insistent: it gets right inside you, whether you want it to or not. And I've always found musicals have - to my taste - particularly banal musical writing. (Spoken theatre is of course another story entirely.)

    On which subject, on NO account should there be ANY piped music, whatsoever, anywhere, on this spacecraft!
    I have performed music professionally since the age of 13. *chuckle*Piped music is not acceptable.......and I agree we all have our own musical tastes. I ADORE MUSICALS....being a musical performe..very difficult to perform and do right....and a play comedic performer also.... *S*....*spoken theatre*.....actually musicals are also spoken theatre. *S* we shall have to agree to disagree on this on this being my profession and this being your opinion. No offense intended.
    Each to his, or perhaps rather, her, own. (In some circles in this country, if you describe a man as "a confirmed bachelor with a taste for musical theatre", it would be code for his sexual orientation.)
    I would just consider him a man of good taste and have no need to question his sexual orientation. His musical orientation would be my vote. I work with many sexual orientations......doesn't bother me a bit, nor do I care.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. space exploration.
    By hyperiondean in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 10th, 2011, 03:28 AM
  2. Manned exploration
    By Pong in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
  3. Earth exploration in %%
    By Hanuka in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
  4. Space Exploration.
    By in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
  5. Space exploration, why we do it
    By Stargazer in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •