Notices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 102
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Question about "Ancient Aliens"

  1. #1 Question about "Ancient Aliens" 
    Forum Freshman Tyrannosaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62
    Hello everybody,

    I just joined on this forum,so im not sure is this real place to ask.
    I want to ask you:do you believe in stuff from Ancient Aliens show,or is it more of a entertainment?
    Im not sure what to think after i saw it so i wanted your professional opinion
    Here is link from one episode:

    Ancient Aliens 42 Aliens and Dinosaurs [S04E10] - YouTube


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    It's nonsense, and if you think it's entertaining, you're easily pleased.


    MrMojo1, PhDemon and stonecutter like this.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Tyrannosaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    It's nonsense, and if you think it's entertaining, you're easily pleased.
    Thanks for answering Alex.
    I still have one question thou:what do you think about Ica-stones with dinosaur pictures on it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Wait, I thought that was just a show about frizzy haired ancient art critics?
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Wait, I thought that was just a show about frizzy haired ancient art critics?

    Like this one?
    KALSTER and DogLady like this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Classic meme.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman Tyrannosaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post

    Thanks for answering,i read whole day about it.
    I saw that article in wikipedia too.
    However i also read few other articles including this :

    Are the Ica Stones Authentic or a Hoax? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

    One thing that bugs me is German lab confirmed that they are "real".
    I know im boring but if you guys have time to look at this video.
    It speaks about dinosaurs and man coexisting.

    Just for info,im not young-earth guy,and i believe in paleontology as science,but that video have pretty good evidence about dinosaurs and humans coexist.
    So i want your opinion about it.
    Here is a link of that video:

    Forbidden History - Dinosaurs and the Bible - YouTube

    Please respond
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    It's creationist garbage.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
    However i also read few other articles including this :
    Are the Ica Stones Authentic or a Hoax? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
    Yahoo Voices is subject to (consists mainly of?) unverified claims.
    I.e. it's NOT a reliable source.
    Two names are given as having "verified" the authenticity: Cabrera is a physician (i.e. totally unqualified to offer an opinion on the subject) and the other, Chartrous, appears to not exist.
    The claim about the German lab also appears to be fictitious.

    I know im boring but if you guys have time to look at this video.
    It speaks about dinosaurs and man coexisting.
    ANY source that claims that the Bible is an "accurate and trusted historical record" (let alone one of the most...) is, ipso facto, lying.
    Reading the blurb for that video we find that it's sponsored/ made by Restoring Genesis Ministries.
    An organisation that states its mission is "Creation science evangelism at the local level using fairs, fall festivals, and other public events as a venue for sharing the message of the Kingdom of God."
    I.e. pre-formed and fixed agenda, and ZERO science (despite their claim).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman Tyrannosaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    It's creationist garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
    However i also read few other articles including this :
    Are the Ica Stones Authentic or a Hoax? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
    Yahoo Voices is subject to (consists mainly of?) unverified claims.
    I.e. it's NOT a reliable source.
    Two names are given as having "verified" the authenticity: Cabrera is a physician (i.e. totally unqualified to offer an opinion on the subject) and the other, Chartrous, appears to not exist.
    The claim about the German lab also appears to be fictitious.

    I know im boring but if you guys have time to look at this video.
    It speaks about dinosaurs and man coexisting.
    ANY source that claims that the Bible is an "accurate and trusted historical record" (let alone one of the most...) is, ipso facto, lying.
    Reading the blurb for that video we find that it's sponsored/ made by Restoring Genesis Ministries.
    An organisation that states its mission is "Creation science evangelism at the local level using fairs, fall festivals, and other public events as a venue for sharing the message of the Kingdom of God."
    I.e. pre-formed and fixed agenda, and ZERO science (despite their claim).
    Thank you very much guys!
    Finally answers i wanted to hear
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    How refreshing to get an enquiring mind untainted by creationist bullshit.

    Power to you Tyrannosaurus Rex!

    It is very disconcerting when you realise to what extent the creationist movement has gone about fabricating fake science, misrepresenting existing science and using every logical fallacy known to man in order to push their agenda and then how many people simply lap up and believe whatever these people tell them. There has been a huge number of people who have fallen hook line and sinker for their nonsense frequenting this forum (and every other arena), utterly convinced of what they are being told by these people simply because it is what they want to hear. It is nothing short of profoundly sad, and extremely exasperating.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    I'm almost afraid to admit this here, but I find Ancient Aliens highly entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I know it's 99% hooey, but I still get a kick out of it. I almost feel bad for offering my support to a show which encourages the notion that aliens are responsible for all the weird stuff we struggle to explain, though. I feel like a tin foil salesman in a nuthouse. Guilty, but having a good time.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Yep, it IS enetertaining - I have a fairly "good" collection of UFO books.
    It's fascinating how people will twist reality to suit ideas.
    pyoko likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Yeah. It's fun reading those books.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post

    Thanks for answering,i read whole day about it.
    I saw that article in wikipedia too.
    However i also read few other articles including this :

    Are the Ica Stones Authentic or a Hoax? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

    One thing that bugs me is German lab confirmed that they are "real".
    Forgers often take the trouble to plant evidence that they believe the lab will be looking for.

    For example this particular forger knew they'd be looking for a "patina".


    From the wiki article above:

    [quote="wiki"]
    Uschuya produced an Ica stone with a dentist's drill and claimed to have produced the patina by baking the stone in cow dung
    [
    /quote]
    pyoko likes this.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,095
    I find the subjects fun as well, even though I know it's a load of bollocks. In fact it is not wrong to enjoy trash. I sometimes read trash instead of something actually stimulating just because it eases my stress levels. It serves a very real purpose for me and a lot of other people.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    656
    I love a bit of escapism too....who doesn't? Who wouldn't want to live in a happy ever after world where aliens/fairies/whatever's carry you away to live in Rivendell or Walt Disney world or wherever.....? Where do I sign.......
    pyoko likes this.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    When I was the impressionable/gullible young teen, in conjunction with all those UFO sightings reported, and abduction claim hear-say, I thought there had to be something in these ancient alien claims. I mean, surly.

    Then came along the X-Files series and greater access to the internet, both fuelling my interest on the subject. But gradually after watching repeated documentaries of “best of” blobs of unidentified lights in the sky, and the obvious “mothership” hoaxes, I was turned towards the sceptical approach and now consider it all BS.

    In retrospect, I wonder if I ever really believed any of it, and was just a form of escapism for me too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    It pisses me off that creationism is billed as a core Christian belief. It is not, and most major groups of Christians do not hold this belief.
    KALSTER and mvb like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    The talk about ancient aliens is just nonsense. These people have collated superstitions and rituals of the ancients and twisted them to their fancy.There are no aliens.We are alone in the Universe.
    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    There are no aliens.We are alone in the Universe.
    You say that with an awful lot of certainty.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    We are alone in the Universe.
    Supposition.
    pyoko and redrooster like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    "alone in the universe"
    No its not a supposition, its true, Ive been to planet Orquanos, the 4th planet in the 954th star system just spinward of the 2nd arm of Messier 109, that galaxy thats 80 something million light years away, and there was no bacterial life there in my sample. Maybe I should take another sample next time I go there, just to be sure. And wile there I beamed a joke with a laser pointing back to earth just for shits and giggles. In 83 million years we should get it, you'll see its very funny.
    sculptor likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Are you sure they weren't just hiding?
    They might have thought you were a Jehovah's Witness and not answered the door.
    Flick Montana and Dreamraider like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    We are alone in the Universe.
    Supposition.
    If the bookies had 50/50 odds that we are the only intelligent life outside our Solar system, and hypothetically we are about to find out the answer somehow tomorrow, then, off the cuff, I’d place a 100 euro on us not been alone. Call that an educated hunch? But don’t think I would risk more than that!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    We are alone in the Universe.
    Supposition.
    If the bookies had 50/50 odds that we are the only intelligent life outside our Solar system, and hypothetically we are about to find out the answer somehow tomorrow, then, off the cuff, I’d place a 100 euro on us not been alone. Call that an educated hunch? But don’t think I would risk more than that!
    I'd place as much money as I could gather (which isn't much) on the affirmative.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    I suspect that if there are aliens out there, they've decided to respect our right to sovereignty.

    The science fiction movies almost always depict them as these bloodthirsty barbarians with laser guns that go around blasting everybody. Honestly, if their technology is so advanced, you might think they might be advanced on other levels also, like respect for life and liberty.

    The worst people among us humans would invade an inhabited planet if they saw that the locals were weaker than us. The best among us would stand back and leave them alone, only intervening if they were sure their intervention would be genuinely helpful.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    I suspect that if there are aliens out there, they've decided to respect our right to sovereignty.

    The science fiction movies almost always depict them as these bloodthirsty barbarians with laser guns that go around blasting everybody. Honestly, if their technology is so advanced, you might think they might be advanced on other levels also, like respect for life and liberty.

    The worst people among us humans would invade an inhabited planet if they saw that the locals were weaker than us. The best among us would stand back and leave them alone, only intervening if they were sure their intervention would be genuinely helpful.


    Possibly, but if they had similar morals to human morals, then I suspect they’d instinctively prioritize their own species over another species like ours, if there was any conflict of interest, whatever that maybe.


    For instance, if a house is burning, and trapped inside is a cute kitten, a screaming human baby and ET. If only one could be saved, who would you save? Who would ET save?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    my great great (etc x 1000)grandfather was an extreemly horny astronaught from a galaxy far far away, and landing here, stranded here, even the monkeys began to look sexy, and , well, one thing led to another.

    we got an astral spaceship orbiting the planed ready to transport the souls of the insane?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    I suspect that if there are aliens out there, they've decided to respect our right to sovereignty.

    The science fiction movies almost always depict them as these bloodthirsty barbarians with laser guns that go around blasting everybody. Honestly, if their technology is so advanced, you might think they might be advanced on other levels also, like respect for life and liberty.

    The worst people among us humans would invade an inhabited planet if they saw that the locals were weaker than us. The best among us would stand back and leave them alone, only intervening if they were sure their intervention would be genuinely helpful.


    Possibly, but if they had similar morals to human morals, then I suspect they’d instinctively prioritize their own species over another species like ours, if there was any conflict of interest, whatever that maybe.


    For instance, if a house is burning, and trapped inside is a cute kitten, a screaming human baby and ET. If only one could be saved, who would you save? Who would ET save?
    I would save the ET. Unless the kitten is a persian, then I'm saving the kitten for sure.
    pineapples likes this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    I suspect that if there are aliens out there, they've decided to respect our right to sovereignty.

    The science fiction movies almost always depict them as these bloodthirsty barbarians with laser guns that go around blasting everybody. Honestly, if their technology is so advanced, you might think they might be advanced on other levels also, like respect for life and liberty.

    The worst people among us humans would invade an inhabited planet if they saw that the locals were weaker than us. The best among us would stand back and leave them alone, only intervening if they were sure their intervention would be genuinely helpful.


    Possibly, but if they had similar morals to human morals, then I suspect they’d instinctively prioritize their own species over another species like ours, if there was any conflict of interest, whatever that maybe.


    For instance, if a house is burning, and trapped inside is a cute kitten, a screaming human baby and ET. If only one could be saved, who would you save? Who would ET save?
    Why does everyone only seem to land on one side of the "they might look at morality differently from the rest of us" question?

    Maybe they value he kitten so much they can't imagine anyone even stepping on its foot? Maybe in their society medicine has progressed to such a point that no one in their culture has died in over 1000 years. Maybe the last time anyone even caught a cold was 10 years ago, and it was a planet wide crisis of people trying to help that poor person.

    The trend in human society has been that, as our technology progresses, and especially as education increases, we value life more and more instead of less and less. Are these aliens uneducated brutes?
    astromark likes this.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post

    Why does everyone only seem to land on one side of the "they might look at morality differently from the rest of us" question?

    Maybe they value he kitten so much they can't imagine anyone even stepping on its foot? Maybe in their society medicine has progressed to such a point that no one in their culture has died in over 1000 years. Maybe the last time anyone even caught a cold was 10 years ago, and it was a planet wide crisis of people trying to help that poor person.

    The trend in human society has been that, as our technology progresses, and especially as education increases, we value life more and more instead of less and less. Are these aliens uneducated brutes?
    I guess my point is that we shouldn’t assume they’d show the same apathy towards human life as we would.

    I’ve not looked it up so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 20th Century contained the highest death toll from wars in written history, a death toll achieved by our progress in technology?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post

    I guess my point is that we shouldn’t assume they’d show the same apathy towards human life as we would.
    Very much agreed. There was a time when a white person who had the chance to save one dying white baby, or three dying black babies, would have chosen the white baby. In those days humanity operated under an illusion that people with different skin tones were not "persons".

    We presently live in a time when many human beings would be likely to make the mistake of believing that intelligent beings which originate on other planets or have different biological makeup are less "person" than we are.

    I like to hope that a day will come when we see both of those situations as representing the exact same fallacy.


    I’ve not looked it up so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 20th Century contained the highest death toll from wars in written history, a death toll achieved by our progress in technology?
    We do have a bigger population now, so that should increase the scale of our wars so more people are involved. Also nobody can say for sure how many people died in wars fought amongst natives in the Americas, Australia, Polynesian Islands, or even Africa south of Egypt and Carthage.

    However I see your point that life hasn't become quite as sacred in practice as it is in theory. We talk a good talk, then do the opposite.
    Last edited by kojax; July 6th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    I note of this subject it seems so easy to drift off on all sorts of associated directions..

    A long time ago I had read the 'Chariots of the Gods' and was naive enough to have thought...

    but as the next book got so bloody silly I soon revisited the first conclusion as rubbish.. and it is.

    It is concerning that some 'Discovery chanel doc's are so short of science..

    but in a age where a good number of young people think that wolves are some how people..

    What people think no longer surprises me. I will add a few bucks to the bet that we are not alone..

    That this has happened once is enough to suggest it might have happened and is happening.. lots.

    The unobserved idea of humans co existing with dinosaurs is just not supported by ANY historic record.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    If wolves had the potential to become contributing members of our society, we might look at them differently. Certainly many people would disagree with you if you tried to tell them that domesticated dogs aren't "people". And those dogs are only slightly different from Wolves, genetically.

    The question is, in an aliens' society, do we humans have the potential to become contributing members? Do we at least make good pets?

    Maybe they look upon killing a human as being like killing a puppy?
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    The question is, in an aliens' society, do we humans have the potential to become contributing members? Do we at least make good pets?
    "To Serve Man"
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    Is this a fine sample of the 20 second attention span. Yep, it is.

    From the sixth line of my last post, I mentioned wolves.. and then... sigh. ( Woof, barking mad.)

    No we are not seen as pets as we are yet unseen..

    Fortunately the space time distance is what has saved us from being dinner or slaves as yet..

    From the historic records of all of humanity, not a single case has been found as true of a extra terrestrial life form.

    With that as fact how dare we make such assumptions of visits we have no proof of.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I'm almost afraid to admit this here, but I find Ancient Aliens highly entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I know it's 99% hooey, but I still get a kick out of it. I almost feel bad for offering my support to a show which encourages the notion that aliens are responsible for all the weird stuff we struggle to explain, though. I feel like a tin foil salesman in a nuthouse. Guilty, but having a good time.
    This article on Metatheatrical Utopias is worth a read on a rainy day. Not sure what it is about AA that you find entertaining, but this article has a pretty interesting take on fictional worlds and how they can merge with reality during theatrical performances. Kind describes what I get out of Coast to Coast AM - it's a type of performance where willing suspension of disbelief allows the fictional world to transcend barriers, and momentarily become a part of the audiences' reality.

    http://www.queensu.ca/drama/jstephenson/Publications/Hearing_Hope.pdf
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post

    Fortunately the space time distance is what has saved us from being dinner or slaves as yet..
    Depends on if they're willing to make it a one-way trip.

    If a group of advanced aliens evolved somewhere out there a hundred million years ago, saw Earth with a really really big telescope and decided they wanted to see those dinosaurs close up, maybe they could set out at very nearly light speed and they'd be arriving about now.

    They'd, of course, be disappointed to find the dinosaurs are (mostly) all dead now.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    They'd, of course, be disappointed to find the dinosaurs are (mostly) all dead now.
    *Alien looks at a sparrow*
    "Is that it? That is all that's left of the dinosaurs!?"
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Freshman AmazingUniverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    I've watched the show a few times, whether it's true, or parts are true, parts are false, no one really knows. Anything that contradicts the biblical way the world should work is immediately ridiculed, it's verbally attacked just as Galileo, Giordano Bruno, and many other scientist and astronomers of ancient times were arrested and killed when their findings disagreed with the Church.

    We live in a completely brainwashed society, so anything that goes against the norm, against the grain, is immediately discarded by the benighted masses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazingUniverse View Post
    I've watched the show a few times, whether it's true, or parts are true, parts are false, no one really knows.
    Wrong.

    Anything that contradicts the biblical way the world should work is immediately ridiculed, it's verbally attacked just as Galileo, Giordano Bruno, and many other scientist and astronomers of ancient times were arrested and killed when their findings disagreed with the Church.
    Also wrong.
    Those scientists had evidence for their claims.
    The bible doesn't (in general).

    We live in a completely brainwashed society, so anything that goes against the norm, against the grain, is immediately discarded by the benighted masses.
    Also wrong.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    That's mooncanvas again, isn't it?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    I can visualize aliens sending a probe here that snatches some poor sod up and puts him in the stasis chamber to bring him home. But home is a 100million lightyears away and the alien's robot is not faster than light so when it gets home the aliens have become so advanced that the arrival of a probe with a sentient creature in it causes a culture wide moral shock and outrage. They fall all over themselves making sure he does not die and gets home safely. Hilarity ensues.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Luckily for us sane people, these guys actually went through and debunked the claims in the series "Ancient Aliens", point by point.

    "Ok, brain let's get things straight. You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's do this so I can go back to killing you with beer." - Homer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Luckily for us sane people, these guys actually went through and debunked the claims in the series "Ancient Aliens", point by point.

    Surly that’s not a picture of Kenny from Southpark?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Hang on...does that say 3 hours?!

    I don't have 3 hours of my life to spend watching that awful show. I certainly don't have 3 hours to spend watching a show that explains how the 3 hours I spent watching the show was a waste of time....
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Luckily for us sane people, these guys actually went through and debunked the claims in the series "Ancient Aliens", point by point.

    Is he sodomizing that other man with a pretzel?
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Freshman onechordbassist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    That show's bananas. They once claimed 9000 years ago humans had hardly been more than animals and then showed a Paranthropus skeleton. Broke my jaw and my mainboard when one dropped onto the other. The best part was they tried to prove the Flood in that particular episode and apparently it happened because the aliens wanted to get rid of the old models not useful for slave labour or something.
    Plus, they contradict themselves in the very next sentence about once every five minutes. And I hate their talkin heads' speech patterns.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    Just as 'Onechordbassist' I will not lend 3 hours to such rubbish.. you have wasted mine and your own time..

    Rubbish is rubbish. Spend some, ( as much as this ) .. time on the actual science.. and the sciences.. You need to learn things..

    and stop wasting so much thought on foolish discovery channel science.. it is not good science..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Freshman onechordbassist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Just as 'Onechordbassist' I will not lend 3 hours to such rubbish.. .
    I actually had some fun watching the original show as well as the series. I have a lot of time to kill and as dumb as it is it's easy to debunk even for educated laymen. I seem to have a weakspot for unwitting self-parody.
    Curiosity killed the cat - if you are a mouse.

    In "duxodotwe?" devplotwe, putan duxodotimu herofrijwe, mu va lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by lerry5 View Post
    Ancient Aliens are just the kind of entertainment and imagination. Nothing more then that. We should beware of this controversy.
    There is no controversy.
    There's just educated people and gullible people.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    ~ As I agree with the genius duck, it's a bit of a contradiction but I find it alarming

    That they often are the same people. That are educated and gullible..

    These discovery chanell programs are weak on science and treat the viewer to a insulting level of miss-information.

    and that seemingly braindead audance they aim for must like to be told everything three times.

    It's the very worst type of dumbing down yet invented.. " Remember this" and, " Soon you will see." Sigh.....

    I could as much watch that Doco as pull my own teeth.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Ah, the sensationalizing with tantalizers. "After we return: Are aliens replacing key members of Congress? Tune in after the break!"
    About thirty minutes after that commercial break, they'll vaguely glaze over the suggestion that some panhandler on a New York street corner said that Congress members are reptilians.
    But no need to worry...

    If you stay tuned after the next commercial break, they promise to tell you the Secret of Roswell.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    mumbai
    Posts
    401
    Tyrannosaurus Rex.
    I have evidence that he exists.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    ~ Naa... Ya can turn it off.. I already know...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    mumbai
    Posts
    401
    Is it good to be adding up the posts?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    mumbai
    Posts
    401
    I remember an old story when women used to be lonely widows and hence once they ganged up and started attacking married women when alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    mumbai
    Posts
    401
    An ignoramus. If this is something to do with my ignorance in general, I agree.

    But I doubt if reaching 2000 and plus posts in few months reflects knowledge rather than adding up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by uday yadav View Post
    An ignoramus. If this is something to do with my ignorance in general, I agree.
    I agree too.
    You are now added to my ignore list.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    uday yadav stop trolling and a week off to think about it....
    PetTastic likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Forum Freshman redrooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo View Post
    "alone in the universe"
    No its not a supposition, its true, Ive been to planet Orquanos, the 4th planet in the 954th star system just spinward of the 2nd arm of Messier 109, that galaxy thats 80 something million light years away, and there was no bacterial life there in my sample. Maybe I should take another sample next time I go there, just to be sure. And wile there I beamed a joke with a laser pointing back to earth just for shits and giggles. In 83 million years we should get it, you'll see its very funny.
    I cant wait.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    Just believe in what you think is right. If you believed the earth is the only planet that a life form can exist, there is only one galaxy and no billions of galaxy in the universe. In my opinion is the dinosaurs extinct because of human not by an alien. The dinosaurs is a treat for the human race to developing. The fact that an asteroid hit the earth is true but did not wiping out the entire dinosaurs because it's only one asteroid (verification needed). It might sound crazy but I think the human it self is an alien invaded the earth and wiping out the entire dinosaurs. Well my basic is the bible said God created the earth in seven days and made human from his own image and I think God is a leader of our ancestor and He came to make earth as his home or something.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right.
    Why?

    In my opinion is the dinosaurs extinct because of human not by an alien.
    Your opinion is wrong.

    The fact that an asteroid hit the earth is true but did not wiping out the entire dinosaurs because it's only one asteroid (verification needed).
    In other words you're spouting an opinion on a subject of which you appear to be almost entirely ignorant.

    It might sound crazy but I think the human it self is an alien invaded the earth and wiping out the entire dinosaurs.
    It not only sounds crazy, it actually is.

    Well my basic is the bible said God created the earth in seven days and made human from his own image and I think God is a leader of our ancestor and He came to make earth as his home or something.
    Yeah... that's (almost certainly) wrong too.
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; August 15th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    Why? Because you are the one and only to deciding whatevr happen in your life. The fact I'm ignorant might be true. So if everythings are wrong, what do you thinks right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Well my basic is the bible said God created the earth in seven days and made human from his own image and I think God is a leader of our ancestor and He came to make earth as his home or something.
    Yeah... that's (almost certainly) wrong too.
    I think you'll find it is definitely wrong.
    According to the bible, god made the earth on the first day.
    It didn't take him 7 days to make anything - the 7th day was his day off*.

    *He might have done his weekly shop or the washing, but it was definitely not a work day.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    I think you'll find it is definitely wrong.
    According to the bible, god made the earth on the first day.
    It didn't take him 7 days to make anything - the 7th day was his day off*.

    *He might have done his weekly shop or the washing, but it was definitely not a work day.
    Tsk.
    The bible might be lying.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Tsk.
    The bible might be lying.
    Inanimate objects can't lie!
    (Shit - some YEC might use that.)
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Why? Because you are the one and only to deciding whatevr happen in your life.
    That would be incorrect.
    Plus, of course, there's the slight problem that you have to interact with other people: holding incorrect beliefs will hinder this.

    So if everythings are wrong, what do you thinks right?
    Where did I say, or even imply, that everything is wrong?
    onechordbassist likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right.
    Or, and here is a crazy idea, look at the facts.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right. If you believed the earth is the only planet that a life form can exist, there is only one galaxy and no billions of galaxy in the universe. In my opinion is the dinosaurs extinct because of human not by an alien. The dinosaurs is a treat for the human race to developing. The fact that an asteroid hit the earth is true but did not wiping out the entire dinosaurs because it's only one asteroid (verification needed). It might sound crazy but I think the human it self is an alien invaded the earth and wiping out the entire dinosaurs. Well my basic is the bible said God created the earth in seven days and made human from his own image and I think God is a leader of our ancestor and He came to make earth as his home or something.
    It's all well and good to think that, but there is strong evidence that the dinosaurs had been dead for a very long time before the first human arrived. That is to say that dinosaur bones are always dated to times millions of years earlier than any human bones.

    This is a science forum, so your opinions must fit with the evidence in order to be taken seriously.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Forum Freshman onechordbassist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right. If you believed the earth is the only planet that a life form can exist, there is only one galaxy and no billions of galaxy in the universe.
    I don't think anybody here doubts the possibility of ET life. Plus, you mention the bible as your basic. According to it being read literally, there shouldn't be any other populated planets.

    In my opinion is the dinosaurs extinct because of human not by an alien. The dinosaurs is a treat for the human race to developing.
    Well, opinions are simply irrelevant if not backed by evidence. And you have none. Simple as that.

    The fact that an asteroid hit the earth is true but did not wiping out the entire dinosaurs because it's only one asteroid (verification needed).
    You might want to look up the effects of an asteroid impact.

    It might sound crazy but I think the human it self is an alien invaded the earth and wiping out the entire dinosaurs. Well my basic is the bible said God created the earth in seven days and made human from his own image and I think God is a leader of our ancestor and He came to make earth as his home or something.
    It can't be that hard to look at the fossil record
    Curiosity killed the cat - if you are a mouse.

    In "duxodotwe?" devplotwe, putan duxodotimu herofrijwe, mu va lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Forum Freshman redrooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right.
    Why?

    In my opinion is the dinosaurs extinct because of human not by an alien.
    Your opinion is wrong. t an asteroid hit the earth is true but did not wiping out the entire dinosaurs because it's only one asteroid (verification needed).
    In other words you're spouting an opinion on a sbject of which you appear to be almost entirely ignorant.

    It might sound crazy but I think the human it self is an alien invaded the earth and wiping out the entire dinosaurs.
    It not only sounds crazy, it actually is.

    Well my basic is the bible said God created the earth in seven days and made human from his own image and I think God is a leader of our ancestor and He came to make earth as his home or something.
    Yeah... that's (almost certainly) wrong too.[/QUOTE] Cmon man that's no attitude ! chill out. If you dont have anything good to say its best not to say it. It seems a lot of people are caught up in a negative atmosphere on this site and it feeds off of itself. Madmans post is good for a laugh whats wrong with that?
    Last edited by redrooster; August 15th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,810
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    Cmon man that's no attitude ! chill out. If you dont have anything good to say its best not to say it. It seems a lot of people are caught up in a negative atmosphere on this site and it feeds off of itself. Madmans post is good for a laugh whats wrong with that?
    It's quite simple: this is a science site, not a comedy one.
    There's an "obligation" to casual viewers and those who are new to the subject to point out nonsense when it's posted.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Forum Freshman redrooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    You felt obligated to point out to the casual observer that it is nonsense? Ditto!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right.
    When a child asks you, "Why is the grass green?" just tell them, "It's green for whatever reason you think is right." I'm sure they'll get really far in the world.

    The rest of your post is just a confirmation that you have no idea what you're talking about and no interest in hearing the truth. I don't understand why people like you come to this forum or, to be honest, how you haven't wandered into traffic chasing butterflies.
    John Galt, Neverfly and astromark like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    Cmon man that's no attitude ! chill out. If you dont have anything good to say its best not to say it. It seems a lot of people are caught up in a negative atmosphere on this site and it feeds off of itself. Madmans post is good for a laugh whats wrong with that?
    I think we all appreciate a good laugh, but I don't find ignorance particularly funny.
    astromark likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Just believe in what you think is right.
    When a child asks you, "Why is the grass green?" just tell them, "It's green for whatever reason you think is right." I'm sure they'll get really far in the world.The rest of your post is just a confirmation that you have no idea what you're talking about and no interest in hearing the truth. I don't understand why people like you come to this forum or, to be honest, how you haven't wandered into traffic chasing butterflies.
    Well maybe the first sentence of my post is confusing for most of you. What I mean is just let T-rex decide what most theory fit with his own standar not about everything in the world. I do want to know about the truth even sometime it was not like what we expected. In first place I never say it was result of my research but my opinio after watching the video. So what's wrong about having an opinion and want to share it to everybody? And one more thing about chasing butterfly, sorry I had no interest in bugs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So what's wrong about having an opinion and want to share it to everybody?
    Nothing is wrong with having an opinion and nothing is wrong with sharing it. However, if your opinion directly contradicts known science or information and you cannot support it, you should expect criticism.

    I also don't understand this default position by people who are ignorant of something, willfully or otherwise, to simply claim, "That's just my opinion" as though that somehow removes all responsibility on your part for being factual, rational, or dealing in any way with a logical foundation.

    It may be your opinion, but as it has been pointed out already, your opinion is wrong.
    Dywyddyr and astromark like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    39
    To comment on the first post in the thread I just want to say that I really don't like the ancient aliens show and similiar shows on discovery / history channel. It's not that I can't appreciate them as entertainment but I think discovery / history channel is doing a bad job pointing out that it's not science. On the contrary the market it as a part of a science themed series of programs which I think is really misleading. I'm also having problems with some other shows, like the programs about the mayan apocalypse or the prophesies of nostradamus. Actually when I think about it, I think there's actually more of these kinds of "conspiracy" shows than real science programs. I used to be a member of an ancient egypt focused archaelogy forum when I was younger (wanted to be an egyptologist when everyone else wanted to be a firefighter or a cop) and in this forum they used o call people with those kinds of ideas "pyramidiots", I liked that word

    As I wrote in another thread about the pyramids I also don't like these "alien theories" because I think they greatly underestimate the accomplishments of our ancestors. Why can't we just be inspired by the incredible accomplishments they did and let them have the credit for it?
    sculptor, astromark and redrooster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Forum Freshman redrooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Very good Zunc,well said.Constructive critisism goes a long way. Not the usual sarcastic insulting behaviour from the mega posters on this site.
    sculptor likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    It may be your opinion, but as it has been pointed out already, your opinion is wrong.
    Yeah it's true and I can not denied the fact that my opinions lack on reasonable proves and theory because it's just come out after watching the video.
    redrooster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Forum Freshman redrooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    I may not agree with madmans opinion but I will defend his right to express his opinion without being subject to negative attacks from self professed know alls.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    Very good Zunc,well said.Constructive critisism goes a long way. Not the usual sarcastic insulting behaviour from the mega posters on this site.
    This is a science site. The objective of the site is to discuss science, the discoveries of science, its methodologies and sometimes the personalities. An understanding of science is not required, but a respect for those who do have some knowledge and appreciation of the subject would be nice.

    I know nothing about carpentry, but if I decided to develop an interest and joined a forum that dealy with it, I would do the following.
    1. I would lurk for a time, reading a variety of threads. I would do this to determine what was considered proper posting style and behaviour, and to learn which regular posters offered clear advice.
    2. I would then do some external reading on some aspect of carpentry that especially interested me and perhaps start a thread toclarify some point about it, or ask a question in a related thread.
    3. I would listen to those who either worked as carpenters as their trade, or were experienced amateurs.
    4. If I proposed some action with wood and was then told that this was silly and would not work, I would enquire why and almost certainly accept what I was told.
    5. I would not bounce on to the forum unprepared, make some stupid comments that's showed I had no idea trees came from wood, or that rip saws and tenon saws were differetn, then go off in a huff because someone called m on my nonsnse. Nor would I defend myself claiming, that was just my opinion.

    To do any of the things listed in point 5. would be rude, anti-social, ignorant, self-centred and decidedly unattractive.

    Note: you may safely ignore the foregoing as it comes from the biggest mega-poster on this site.

    Note 2: Please don't ignore this, Welcome to the forum.



    I may not agree with madmans opinion but I will defend his right to express his opinion without being subject to negative attacks from self professed know alls.
    Here is a simple question for you. Do you think people should be encouraged to post palpable nonsense? Do you think that gross errors of fact should be overlooked? Do you believe it is a good thing to allow free rein to express positions wholly contradicted by the evidence, on a science forum? If the answer to any of these is yes, could you explain why?

    Oh, and no one has any right to express any opinion on this site. We are here as guests of the site owner who can suspend or ban any of us at any time, You may express opinions and others may say what they think of those opinions, but you do not have a right to do so. You are permitted to do so as long as it pleases the site owner. If you don't like this arrangement perhaps you could start your own site.
    tk421 and astromark like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    the famous line from the roadhouse movie comes to mind
    when instructing the bouncers, the bottom line was
    "Be polite"
    redrooster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  87. #86  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    the famous line from the roadhouse movie comes to mind
    when instructing the bouncers, the bottom line was
    "Be polite"
    If you are seriously suggesting I was impolite in my previous post I suggest you learn how to read. (I've given up on asking you to learn how to write.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  88. #87  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    lol

    oh no dadio
    just an addendum to your thoroughly excellent advice

    (psst-you might wanna edit to wood comes from trees? or was that an intentional cart before the horse irony?)
    redrooster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  89. #88  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    No - I believe in leaving silly errors for all to see.

    So, your post meant the opposite of what I read it as. Does even that not inclince you to drop your affected style and write clearly?
    PhDemon likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  90. #89  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    Very good Zunc,well said.Constructive critisism goes a long way. Not the usual sarcastic insulting behaviour from the mega posters on this site.
    This is a science site. The objective of the site is to discuss science, the discoveries of science, its methodologies and sometimes the personalities. An understanding of science is not required, but a respect for those who do have some knowledge and appreciation of the subject would be nice.I know nothing about carpentry, but if I decided to develop an interest and joined a forum that dealy with it, I would do the following. 1. I would lurk for a time, reading a variety of threads. I would do this to determine what was considered proper posting style and behaviour, and to learn which regular posters offered clear advice.2. I would then do some external reading on some aspect of carpentry that especially interested me and perhaps start a thread toclarify some point about it, or ask a question in a related thread.3. I would listen to those who either worked as carpenters as their trade, or were experienced amateurs.4. If I proposed some action with wood and was then told that this was silly and would not work, I would enquire why and almost certainly accept what I was told.5. I would not bounce on to the forum unprepared, make some stupid comments that's showed I had no idea trees came from wood, or that rip saws and tenon saws were differetn, then go off in a huff because someone called m on my nonsnse. Nor would I defend myself claiming, that was just my opinion.To do any of the things listed in point 5. would be rude, anti-social, ignorant, self-centred and decidedly unattractive.Note: you may safely ignore the foregoing as it comes from the biggest mega-poster on this site.Note 2: Please don't ignore this, Welcome to the forum.
    I may not agree with madmans opinion but I will defend his right to express his opinion without being subject to negative attacks from self professed know alls.
    Here is a simple question for you. Do you think people should be encouraged to post palpable nonsense? Do you think that gross errors of fact should be overlooked? Do you believe it is a good thing to allow free rein to express positions wholly contradicted by the evidence, on a science forum? If the answer to any of these is yes, could you explain why?Oh, and no one has any right to express any opinion on this site. We are here as guests of the site owner who can suspend or ban any of us at any time, You may express opinions and others may say what they think of those opinions, but you do not have a right to do so. You are permitted to do so as long as it pleases the site owner. If you don't like this arrangement perhaps you could start your own site.
    Sir you have some point here. I know and I realized that my opinion is lack of sources and fact to depend it. But it was an opinion after watching video from the link T-rex give to us. So I connected every information about tribes and their gods and every aspect on the video then come to one conclusion with my logic and that is my post.One thing for sure I am still a seed and haven't grow yet. If some of my word unpleasant to you I'm sorry. But I rather expressed my thought than denied other comment without something to enlighten them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  91. #90  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    This is good. All I wish to encourage you to do is
    a) Be suspicious of what you read, regardless of who says it.
    b) Check 'facts' from more than one source and use the most reliable ones you can find.
    c) Ask more questions.
    d) Be more willing to accept the answer if it comes from several people along with evidence.

    Have a good day.
    JG
    KALSTER and astromark like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  92. #91  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    the famous line from the roadhouse movie comes to mind
    when instructing the bouncers, the bottom line was
    "Be polite"
    If you are seriously suggesting I was impolite in my previous post I suggest you learn how to read. (I've given up on asking you to learn how to write.)

    I'm getting the impression you never watched the movie: Roadhouse.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  93. #92  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    It may be your opinion, but as it has been pointed out already, your opinion is wrong.
    Yeah it's true and I can not denied the fact that my opinions lack on reasonable proves and theory because it's just come out after watching the video.
    Then why take up that opinion? This post makes me think you're not an idiot. Maybe you just need to reconsider taking up a stance before you've weighed it thoroughly.

    I can promise you that if you are of an opinion which you cannot support or explain and you try to discuss it on this board, you will not last long without some harsh criticism. Even if you have a somewhat off-the-wall ideal, if you can support it rationally you won't be "attacked" by people. Just remember that this is science forum and people here think in a very logical and rational way. If you go against that grain, you'll feel the friction.
    Last edited by Flick Montana; August 16th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
    astromark and zunc like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  94. #93  
    Forum Freshman redrooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    The bottom line is that the behaviour of some on this site is according to the well respected analyst website Alexa is SARCASTIC AND INSULTING and here we have it on display for everyone to see! Not only are the top keywords for this site SARCASTIC INSULTS but the average income per day is $10.08 so as you can see advertisers are not going to associate themselves with what I would describe as a sickness that has taken hold here.It takes money to keep a site up and running but at this rate it wont be too long before it closes down. I just dont understand why this cancer hasnt been dealt with before it became terminal? P.S Im finished with this,Im not going to have anything more to do with what I regard as mental illness.
    Last edited by redrooster; August 17th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  95. #94  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,095
    Where does your anger come from, redrooster? Surely that is the sickness.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  96. #95  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    The bottom line is that the behaviour of some on this site is according to the well respected analyst website Alexa is SARCASTIC AND INSULTING and here we have it on display for everyone to see! Not only are the top keywords for this site SARCASTIC INSULTS but the average income per day is $10.08 so as you can see advertisers are not going to associate themselves with what I would describe as a sickness that has taken hold here.It takes money to keep a site up and running but at this rate it wont be too long before it closes down. I just dont understand why this cancer hasnt been dealt with before it became terminal? P.S Im finished with this,Im not going to have anything more to do with what I regard as mental illness.
    Wonder what Alexa would say about SciForums...
    RedRooster, if you feel another way is better, you do have the option of demonstrating it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  97. #96  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    I am an avid Asimov reader but science fiction(some part of it) is going to remain sci-fi for eternity.
    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  98. #97  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    ~ " Mr Data, the delta system warp 6. Make it so....

    Yes that is just fiction. I so wish it were real.. 'This is what is real ';
    ~ Not a single case of any life form or the remains of or signs of or indication of or messages from or intended. Nothing but speculative probabilities.. "Damn !" This is a view I find as supported by scientific method.. as at the 21st of Sept 2013.

    I dare not speak for any other person,. Just me. I will however adjust my opinions as information is presented..
    Only a fool suggests as truth that which is not.. and I willingly adhere to my own rule.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  99. #98  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Sciforums.com Site Info

    The whole "Sarcastic insults" thing on the Alexa site seems to stem from one thread (Your Favorite Insults, Put-Downs, Sarcastic One-Liners, etc.) being the second result of a google search for "sarcastic insults" meaning this site gets a lot of traffic from that particular search string, how someone can claim this is indicative of excessive sarcasm on the site as a whole is beyond me.
    The claim, of course, came from the neophyte member Red Rooster, who seemed to have a well-balanced personality: a chip on each shoulder. I am reminded of the Stones single from the 60's. "I am the little red rooster, too lazy to crow today." Whch would explain why we've heard no more of his sarcasm for a while.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  100. #99  
    Forum Sophomore Estheria Quintessimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
    Hello everybody,

    I just joined on this forum,so im not sure is this real place to ask.
    I want to ask you:do you believe in stuff from Ancient Aliens show,or is it more of a entertainment?
    Im not sure what to think after i saw it so i wanted your professional opinion
    Here is link from one episode:

    Ancient Aliens 42 Aliens and Dinosaurs [S04E10] - YouTube
    Watch "Ancient Aliens Debunked"... It will tell and learn you about the deceit "Ancient Alliens" uses for its TV program.

    Burt seriously..... you do not even have too. Before I watched the debunked stuff,... I noticed tons and tons and tons of mistakes in this infamous tv-series.

    It is a tv-series... it is all complete bull shit.

    Link here for the debunked (there lots of links if you bother to google):
    Ancient Aliens Debunked - YouTube
    Reply With Quote  
     

  101. #100  
    Forum Freshman Tyrannosaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Estheria Quintessimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
    Hello everybody,

    I just joined on this forum,so im not sure is this real place to ask.
    I want to ask you:do you believe in stuff from Ancient Aliens show,or is it more of a entertainment?
    Im not sure what to think after i saw it so i wanted your professional opinion
    Here is link from one episode:

    Ancient Aliens 42 Aliens and Dinosaurs [S04E10] - YouTube
    Watch "Ancient Aliens Debunked"... It will tell and learn you about the deceit "Ancient Alliens" uses for its TV program.

    Burt seriously..... you do not even have too. Before I watched the debunked stuff,... I noticed tons and tons and tons of mistakes in this infamous tv-series.

    It is a tv-series... it is all complete bull shit.

    Link here for the debunked (there lots of links if you bother to google):
    Ancient Aliens Debunked - YouTube
    Thanks for the link.
    I watched first hour,and i noticed that AA have pretty big flaws.
    Only thing i don't like is mixing bible and nephilim,because i don't believe what bible says.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: July 1st, 2013, 08:16 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 26th, 2013, 12:38 AM
  3. "Dating" posts split from "Purpose of life" thread
    By Christopher Ball in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: October 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM
  4. "Dating" posts split from "Purpose of life" thread
    By Christopher Ball in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: October 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
  5. Are we "aliens" to each other ?
    By blue_cristal in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •