Notices
Results 1 to 59 of 59
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By warthog213
  • 1 Post By Saturn
  • 1 Post By Saturn
  • 1 Post By Saturn
  • 1 Post By Kalopin
  • 2 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By AlexG
  • 1 Post By Janus
  • 1 Post By MeteorWayne

Thread: galaxies, disks & spirals

  1. #1 galaxies, disks & spirals 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Why do galaxies form into disks and spirals?


    warthog213 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    For sculptor. There are other Star Clusters that form in a different way then just disks and spirals. I'm sorry I cant answer your direct Question. There are others who can offer up an explanation. I, like you, will be reading their Postes. westwind.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    I believe it has to do with orbital rotations and gravity but then you also have Globular clusters and such so I am uncertain.
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    267
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Again, Why do stars, planets, galaxies, etc all tend to spin?
    Is there an unknown force at work?, An "ordering" tendency beyond our comprehension?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    267
    same reason your sink water spins as it goes down the drain
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    My sink water spins because the earth spins, and because of a pressure gradiant, as do atmospheric highs and lows and storms spin------------does my sink control the cosmos?
    or do galaxies spin because the universe spins? or...?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    267
    you can figure it out if you try
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman Saturn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    It is thought that the rotation of celestial bodies is caused by the momentum (since momentum is conserved) that was initially imparted upon the materials it is comprised of. For example, when a star is forming from a cloud of dust, portions of the cloud will eventually collect so much matter that material from other places will start collapsing towards it to centripetally. The more condensed this material becomes (and thus, the smaller radius of this material becomes), the more its velocity will increase. This will result in an excess of angular acceleration and without another force to counteract some of it, it is not possible for this material to sustain itself in the form of a star (it will basically fly off tangential to the circular path of motion). The force that holds everything together into a star and allows this process to continue is gravity. Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    1 Ugly MoFo warthog213's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    147
    Being a bit of a plumber too (a pretty good one I might add) did you know that the water spins in one direction above the equator and spins the other direction below the equator. (cool huh)
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    My sink water spins because the earth spins, and because of a pressure gradiant, as do atmospheric highs and lows and storms spin------------does my sink control the cosmos?
    or do galaxies spin because the universe spins? or...?
    (warthog) an ugly little animal in Africa that is hunted, killed and eaten by lions.

    Sorry i'm no scientist so don't expect me to use those terms which scientist use
    to explain things.... I am only an observer of things....

    Every dream i've dreamed isn't the life I live in....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    1 Ugly MoFo warthog213's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    147
    as an answer to this question from a totally uneducated point of view (not a scientist)
    I'm gonna say that those gallaxies and solar systems will closely resemble cellular, molecular or atomic particles.
    Or at least the structures of the shapes are quite similar.
    But thats just my point of view.....

    Theres an album with some images viewable in my profile....
    Saturn likes this.
    (warthog) an ugly little animal in Africa that is hunted, killed and eaten by lions.

    Sorry i'm no scientist so don't expect me to use those terms which scientist use
    to explain things.... I am only an observer of things....

    Every dream i've dreamed isn't the life I live in....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman Saturn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    as an answer to this question from a totally uneducated point of view (not a scientist)
    I'm gonna say that those gallaxies and solar systems will closely resemble cellular, molecular or atomic particles.
    Or at least the structures of the shapes are quite similar.
    But thats just my point of view.....
    There's some truth to that. If you compare a model of a solar system to a model of an atom, they kind of look the same.
    warthog213 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman Saturn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    Nice album. Sorry, I didn't see that until after I left my last comment.
    warthog213 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    as an answer to this question from a totally uneducated point of view (not a scientist)
    I'm gonna say that those gallaxies and solar systems will closely resemble cellular, molecular or atomic particles.
    Or at least the structures of the shapes are quite similar.
    But thats just my point of view.....
    There's some truth to that. If you compare a model of a solar system to a model of an atom, they kind of look the same.
    Only if you're talking about the Bohr model of the atom, which was discarded many years ago.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman Saturn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    as an answer to this question from a totally uneducated point of view (not a scientist)
    I'm gonna say that those gallaxies and solar systems will closely resemble cellular, molecular or atomic particles.
    Or at least the structures of the shapes are quite similar.
    But thats just my point of view.....
    There's some truth to that. If you compare a model of a solar system to a model of an atom, they kind of look the same.
    Only if you're talking about the Bohr model of the atom, which was discarded many years ago.
    Most of the more recent ones I've seen still share some qualities with a model solar system. Which ones are you thinking of that don't? It's quite possible that there are some I have yet to see.
    warthog213 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    as an answer to this question from a totally uneducated point of view (not a scientist)
    I'm gonna say that those gallaxies and solar systems will closely resemble cellular, molecular or atomic particles.
    Or at least the structures of the shapes are quite similar.
    But thats just my point of view.....
    There's some truth to that. If you compare a model of a solar system to a model of an atom, they kind of look the same.
    Only if you're talking about the Bohr model of the atom, which was discarded many years ago.
    Most of the more recent ones I've seen still share some qualities with a model solar system. Which ones are you thinking of that don't? It's quite possible that there are some I have yet to see.
    Current models based on quantum theory have the electrons existing in probability clouds called orbitals. The electrons do not orbit.



    750px-Fig3AB_iCarbon_01C.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    Being a bit of a plumber too (a pretty good one I might add) did you know that the water spins in one direction above the equator and spins the other direction below the equator. (cool huh)
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    My sink water spins because the earth spins, and because of a pressure gradiant, as do atmospheric highs and lows and storms spin------------does my sink control the cosmos?
    or do galaxies spin because the universe spins? or...?
    That is strictly a myth. The Coriolis force is too small at that scale to overcome ranom fluctuations, if the water drains were not tilted to ensure good swirling, which they are.

    However it is quite effective at larger scales like weather systems.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Again, Why do stars, planets, galaxies, etc all tend to spin?
    Is there an unknown force at work?, An "ordering" tendency beyond our comprehension?
    All these objects formed from large molecular clouds that collapsed under gravity. Now these clouds are formed from particles that have motions in random directions. If you sum up all these random motions you will get the net angular momentum of the cloud.
    Now it is extremely unlikely for this to come out to being exactly zero. So as the cloud collapses, this angular momentum remains constant, and just like a ice skater when she pulls in her arms, the rate of spin increases and you end up with small compact objects with relatively high rates of spin.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    1 Ugly MoFo warthog213's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    147
    All the post which I just read say different. They all say that it spins different directions north and south of the equator. And also they say it went straight down when on the equator.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    Being a bit of a plumber too (a pretty good one I might add) did you know that the water spins in one direction above the equator and spins the other direction below the equator. (cool huh)
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    My sink water spins because the earth spins, and because of a pressure gradiant, as do atmospheric highs and lows and storms spin------------does my sink control the cosmos?
    or do galaxies spin because the universe spins? or...?
    That is strictly a myth. The Coriolis force is too small at that scale to overcome ranom fluctuations, if the water drains were not tilted to ensure good swirling, which they are.

    However it is quite effective at larger scales like weather systems.
    Yahoo answers is where I looked at just confirm what I'd said about it earlier.
    Just so ya know, No one person can know everything.
    I will always be humbled when I am wrong and I know that I am wrong.
    (warthog) an ugly little animal in Africa that is hunted, killed and eaten by lions.

    Sorry i'm no scientist so don't expect me to use those terms which scientist use
    to explain things.... I am only an observer of things....

    Every dream i've dreamed isn't the life I live in....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog213 View Post
    All the post which I just read say different. They all say that it spins different directions north and south of the equator. And also they say it went straight down when on the equator
    Then you need to find better sources for your information (and generally be less gullible).

    snopes.com: Coriolis Force Effect on Drains
    Bad Coriolis

    Yahoo answers is where I looked at just confirm what I'd said about it earlier.
    Weirdly, Yahoo answers (which is usually totally useless as a source of information) disagrees with you:
    In which direction does water swirl down the drain,north of the equator? - Yahoo! Answers
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo
    The truth is that it can flow either direction anywhere in the world.
    if the toilet bowl's water enters @ an angle cw or ccw or the shape or tilt of the bowl, this is what will decide the rotation, as it much more powerfull than the effects described earlier. In truth in the real world the location relative to the eq. has no measurable effect on the toilet waters rotation.
    It is a myth that water swirls a different direction down a toilet bowl positioned north or south of the equator. The effect, known as Coriolis Effect, applies to larger systems like the weather.
    Its motion will depend on how it's moving and the shape of the basin that's being drained, and isn't dependent on which side of the equator you're on.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    It is thought that the rotation of celestial bodies is caused by the momentum (since momentum is conserved) that was initially imparted upon the materials it is comprised of. For example, when a star is forming from a cloud of dust, portions of the cloud will eventually collect so much matter that material from other places will start collapsing towards it to centripetally. The more condensed this material becomes (and thus, the smaller radius of this material becomes), the more its velocity will increase. This will result in an excess of angular acceleration and without another force to counteract some of it, it is not possible for this material to sustain itself in the form of a star (it will basically fly off tangential to the circular path of motion). The force that holds everything together into a star and allows this process to continue is gravity. Hope this helps.
    I'm with Saturn on this.

    The probability approaches zero of two particles gravitating together along a single axis and colliding, thus they will form a rotating system. The same with systems of many particles/masses. So a system has a rotating axis, and the rotation produces centrifugal forces that keep the system spread out. However, there's nothing along the axis itself that prevents the system from collapsing, and so it does, creating disk-like or spiral-like structures, which rotate about their axis as I said.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    1 Ugly MoFo warthog213's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    147
    Yeah there are some awesome images of gallaxies out there from the hubble telescope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    Nice album. Sorry, I didn't see that until after I left my last comment.
    (warthog) an ugly little animal in Africa that is hunted, killed and eaten by lions.

    Sorry i'm no scientist so don't expect me to use those terms which scientist use
    to explain things.... I am only an observer of things....

    Every dream i've dreamed isn't the life I live in....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    1 Ugly MoFo warthog213's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    147
    Sculptor: I would love to take a stab at this question by saying that gallaxies form due to their mass content as well gravitational fields. I don't how to expain the workings of all of those elements, but I'm pretty sure that this is why in a simple answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Why do galaxies form into disks and spirals?
    (warthog) an ugly little animal in Africa that is hunted, killed and eaten by lions.

    Sorry i'm no scientist so don't expect me to use those terms which scientist use
    to explain things.... I am only an observer of things....

    Every dream i've dreamed isn't the life I live in....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Why not listen to the answers provided by thosee who know what they are talking about and have explained it quite well?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    momentum
    Gravity leading to Vast numbers of particles rushing towards each other increasing in density as more and more of them collide and clump together attracting even more particles, until all the "dust" in their immediate vacinity has been cleared/gathered. Each particle had it's own momentum to add to the coalescing whole, with, I would imagine more speed and more momentum as the gravitational attraction grew in proportion to the increasing size of the whole.
    That part was easy(if understanding gravity can be said to be easy).
    However, if the gathering point was in the center of a 3 dimensional cloud, and the momentum was from all directions, then wherein lies the mechanism that would favor spin, (spin seems to obviously lead to forming disks, and as the spin increases the late comers would begin to form tendrils wherein they could come closer together while following the spin of the coalesced group, forming the arms of a spiral galaxie.
    But-----why did all that "dust" not just form a ball randomly tumbling about in space.(1) To say that some of the time. the accidental random direction of the momentum of the gathering particles would lead to spin also makes sense. But the preponderance of spin and disks and spirals is well beyond random chance. Which tends to indicate that there is an ordering force at work which seems to not have a ready explanation.
    true?
    So, what am i missing?
    Why almost invariable spin?
    I still don't get it.

    (1)---"in space"
    could it be that the expansion of space that has led to an added force driving or pulling the gathering clumps along a vector, and traveling along that vector which has led to spin? and a flattening of the spiral disks
    This would seem to make sense, if all the galaxies in the same neighborhood were roughly alligned with each other, spinning perpendicular to the surface of an imagined imagined sphere.
    But that also doesn't seem to be the case.
    What does seem to be of relevence is that if there is spin, we should be looking at vectors. And, assuming the vectors of the particles to be coming from random directions, they should tend to cancel each other out. unless "random" itself is poorly understood?

    confusedly yours,
    rod
    and then:
    I believe it has to do with orbital rotations and gravity but then you also have Globular clusters and such so I am uncertain.
    ,
    which are said to be spherical---which seems to limit spinning disks to only within those spherical clusters.
    ?
    Were the disks spinning before they formed up into a globular cluster? Is there a different force acting here?

    as/re water spinning as it drains
    here's a simple experiment:
    make a rack with 1" holes drilled into it. fill several wine bottles(or whiskey or ouzo bottles as in my case) with colored wated, cap with corks, and place them upside down in the rack. Let them rest and remove any momentum you have imparted. Then, pull the corks out one at a time, and watch the water. You will see that all of the water in the bottles spins as they drain, and it all spins in the same direction.
    Last edited by sculptor; June 24th, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    A more simple explanation is, that the spin comes from explosions. Besides the original "Big Bang", the universe has been, is, and will be full of unbelievably violent explosions, and if you have ever seen shrapnel fly away from a bomb exploding, you will notice many different spins in all directions from the point of ignition. [I think?]
    sculptor likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    boom
    original spin
    (kinda dovetails into the other "god" thread?
    Kalopin and warthog213 like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    A more simple explanation is, that the spin comes from explosions. Besides the original "Big Bang", the universe has been, is, and will be full of unbelievably violent explosions, and if you have ever seen shrapnel fly away from a bomb exploding, you will notice many different spins in all directions from the point of ignition. [I think?]
    The BB was not an explosion such as you are invisoning. Nothing was propelled from a central point outward. What happened was that all of space expanded All the space between each point expanded.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    A more simple explanation is, that the spin comes from explosions. Besides the original "Big Bang", the universe has been, is, and will be full of unbelievably violent explosions, and if you have ever seen shrapnel fly away from a bomb exploding, you will notice many different spins in all directions from the point of ignition. [I think?]
    The BB was not an explosion such as you are invisoning. Nothing was propelled from a central point outward. What happened was that all of space expanded All the space between each point expanded.
    Oh, "The Big Space Expansion" [B.S.expansion]. I do prefer the acronym!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    267
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    Yes, but still a lot of theory and conjecture involved [anytime "dark energy" is being discussed]. It is kinda' just a fancy explanation of an explosion. [It does reinforce my beliefs on sound wave energies forming all matter]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809


    Why bother trying.
    Saturn likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Because ignorance must be battled. Especially in the Astronomy forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    I don't see the problem as ignorance. I see the problem as willful ignorance.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    A little something from UCBerkeley- http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Educat...question13.txt ,just to show that I am not alone. Notice that he admits not understanding the medium which may propagate matter, even though he may give discredit to sound waves. It is my belief that these waves of energy, are the same energy sources to cause rotation during any explosion, and can destroy as well as create. Sound waves are the only waves strong enough to move air. What else could it be?

    P.S. Radio waves are strong sound waves and travel at the speedS of light. A stronger wave WILL reach a destination sooner than a weaker wave, and if it is on or near the same frequency then a stronger wave will drown out the weaker wave [check your radio signals].
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Radio waves (or more correctly, electromagnetic radiation) have nothing to do with sould waves. Sound waves are pressure waves in a medium.

    Electromagnetic waves travel at a constant speed in a specific medium (including vacuum), strength has nothing to do with the speed of propogation.

    Once again, you fail physics fundamentals 101.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne View Post
    Radio waves (or more correctly, electromagnetic radiation) have nothing to do with sould waves. Sound waves are pressure waves in a medium.

    Electromagnetic waves travel at a constant speed in a specific medium (including vacuum), strength has nothing to do with the speed of propogation.

    Once again, you fail physics fundamentals 101.
    NOTHING IS CONSTANT! Sound, radio, light-they will all only travel as far as the sources power has allowed! EVERYTHING is relative to the energy it was produced by, unless it may find a boost from another source of similar energies before completely dying. [common sense 101]. Otherwise you would be able to tune in to any radio station that would be emitting any small amount of radio waves, you would be able to see every star, no matter the distance, you would hear every sound. no matter the amount of energy that it was produced by! That is NOT the case.

    Sorry to inform you of the fact that everything has a shelf life. Nothing is constant, nothing last forever, and that is all that last forever-nothing!

    P.S. Radio waves produce sound waves- they are sound waves without a medium! When radio waves find a medium they turn into sound waves- they are the same waves, only in a frequency that cannot be heard. What do radio waves do, once they are tuned in on a radio?
    Last edited by Kalopin; June 25th, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    That is wrong, wrong, wrong AND IS OFF TOPIC FOR THIS DISCUSSION!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne View Post
    That is wrong, wrong, wrong AND IS OFF TOPIC FOR THIS DISCUSSION!
    If the topic is: Why do galaxies and solar systems form spirals- and it is my belief that it is because of the sound wave energies caused by an explosion, then I don't see how discussing how sound, radio, and light works is "off topic". But o.k.

    I am kinda' interested in your opinion, as to why so many spirals throughout the universe. I am sure there are other perspectives?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    The answer was provided in post 18. Most of the rest of this thread is uninformed speculation without scientific basis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    radio, light-they will all only travel as far as the sources power has allowed!
    Please stop making stuff up and polluting a science board with this ignorant drivel.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    radio, light-they will all only travel as far as the sources power has allowed!
    Please stop making stuff up and polluting a science board with this ignorant drivel.
    do you not believe that these galaxies and solar systems will also, at some point, run out of energy or die violently?
    Wouldn't different levels of heat also be involved, just as a hurricane, to force spin?
    similar to a river, 'solar'winds' causing "eddies" throughout space, forcing currents in whirlpools, bringing objects closer and in spirals?
    Last edited by Kalopin; June 25th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    You have been warned. Patience has run out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    Just to make certain I am not missing something here... Sound needs matter in order to travel. Space is by and large an empty thing meaning that there is no way for sound to propagate... The wave would not transmit through a void from one dust particle to another would it? If not then this means that sound has nothing to do with universal expansion. If something explodes in space we do not hear it here on earth because the sound waves have no medium to transfer through.
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    Back to the original question. It seems to me that EVERYTHING in the universe has rotation. Even a planet/moon tidal locked to its neighbor/star still rotates in an orbit. The Law of centrifugal motion would then apply and explain why galaxies form disks/spirals would it not?
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    So far, this all seems like circular logic to me.
    and (correct me if I am wrong) the moon does not seem to spin independently, and if it can be said to spin, it spins on the center of the earth/moon center of gravity.
    Is this true of other moons?

    So there seems to be no "law" that explains causality, but rather, describes what is to be expected of th motion?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Some moons do, if they are close enough to the planet and have had sufficient time to dissapate their angular momentum. Most don't. The laws that determines that are gravity and tidal friction.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    So far, this all seems like circular logic to me.
    and (correct me if I am wrong) the moon does not seem to spin independently, and if it can be said to spin, it spins on the center of the earth/moon center of gravity.
    You are wrong. The moon's rotational period equals that of it orbital period, but it does not always keep exactly the same face towards the Earth. It rocks from side to side slightly and nods up and down. These motions, known as librations, are due to the Moon's rotation being independent from its orbital motion.

    The side to side swing (as seen from the Earth) is caused by the eccentricity of the Moon's orbit. The Moon moves closer and further from the Earth over a course of its orbit. As it does so, its orbital speed changes. It travels faster when closer and slower when further away. The Moon's rotation rate however does not change. So what happens is that at some points of its orbit, the Moon spins at a greater speed than it orbits and at others it spins slower than it orbits. This causes some of the leading and trailing limbs to rotate into view at times.


    The nodding up and down is due to the fact that the Moon's axis of rotation is tilted by ~6°. In other words, the axis by which it rotates is not aligned with the axis by which its orbits. This, in much the Way the Earth's Axis tilt gives us seasons, causes us to see a little more of the North pole of the Moon when it is on one side of the Earth and a little more of its South pole when it is on the other side.

    Both these effects demonstrate that while the orbital periods and rotational periods are equal, the orbit and rotation of the moon are separate motions.
    MeteorWayne likes this.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Another curiousity?

    I recently read a paper wherein it was claimed that in dwarf galaxies, the stars do not form into rotating disks, but move about as a swarm of bees.
    New Discovery: Dwarf Galaxies May Nix Theory of Dark Matter in the Universe
    "Stars in a dwarf galaxy swarm like bees in a beehive instead of moving in nice, circular orbits like a spiral galaxy. That makes it much more challenging to determine the distribution of dark matter."
    Jorge Peņarrubia, University of Cambridge, UK
    accurate?

    if so, then is the mechanism that creates spin and disks needed to form larger galaxies, or is it a property of the larger galaxies that induces the tendency to spin and form rotating spirals and disks?

    or do we need the mechanism(s?) of dark energy and dark matter (or their relative concentrations) to explain these phenomena
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Another curiousity?

    I recently read a paper wherein it was claimed that in dwarf galaxies, the stars do not form into rotating disks, but move about as a swarm of bees.
    New Discovery: Dwarf Galaxies May Nix Theory of Dark Matter in the Universe
    "Stars in a dwarf galaxy swarm like bees in a beehive instead of moving in nice, circular orbits like a spiral galaxy. That makes it much more challenging to determine the distribution of dark matter."
    Jorge Peņarrubia, University of Cambridge, UK
    the same is true of elliptical galaxies and the galactic bulge of spiral galaxies
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    in dwarf galaxies, the stars do not form into rotating disks, but move about as a swarm of bees.
    the same is true of elliptical galaxies and the galactic bulge of spiral galaxies
    Population II stars, which are located in the spheroidal component of the Galaxy (stellar halo and partially in the bulge), where velocity dispersion (random motion) is higher than rotation velocity (ordered motion); they are old stars (> 10 Gyr) with very low metallicities, on the average lower by two orders of magnitude than Population I stars
    from:
    Understanding Galaxy Formation and Evolution - V. Avila-Reese

    low metallicities = low iron?
    so, maybe magnetism plays a roll in determination of absense or presense of angular momentum?
    goes on to talk about nature vs nurture in formation of stars within a galaxy...
    and that younger "pop1" stars form in the disks and flattened plane vs bulge

    This all seem right to you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Metallicity refers to all elements heavier than Hydrogen, Helium, and Lithium.
    That includes Oxygen, Carbon, Neon, etc; to it really has nothing to do with the common usage of the term metal.
    sculptor likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    thanx

    weight then--heavier = more momentum
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    But-----why did all that "dust" not just form a ball randomly tumbling about in space.(1) To say that some of the time. the accidental random direction of the momentum of the gathering particles would lead to spin also makes sense. But the preponderance of spin and disks and spirals is well beyond random chance. Which tends to indicate that there is an ordering force at work which seems to not have a ready explanation.
    true?
    So, what am i missing?
    Why almost invariable spin?
    I still don't get it.


    If all the planets in the solar system orbited at random angles around the Sun, the nodes where their orbits intersect would be points where, over time, they randomly ended up coming near one another sometimes. The rest of the time, they'd always be far from each other. Over time, the odds would bear out and they'd find themselves trading momentum when they intersected, and those trades of momentum would tend to steer them all into the same orbit.

    There actually are some moons in the Solar System with orbits that are slightly off in that way. Also some planets spin in a direction that is slightly off of the axis (in particular, Planet Earth is off by a little bit, but Uranus is 97 degrees off.)

    Uranus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    You just have to remember that the Sun in the middle isn't the only thing exerting gravitational attraction here. The planets also feel each others' gravity.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Dear kojax et al. This is a genuine Thread. Post( e ) s contributing are interesting and informative. I would like to post(e) to this Thread, but coming from leftfield. Permission is sought from Sculptur to Post(e) at an appropriate opportunity when I feel the impact of my Post(e) will not be jarring and seen as off-Thread. westwind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind View Post
    Dear kojax et al. This is a genuine Thread. Post( e ) s contributing are interesting and informative. I would like to post(e) to this Thread, but coming from leftfield. Permission is sought from Sculptur to Post(e) at an appropriate opportunity when I feel the impact of my Post(e) will not be jarring and seen as off-Thread. westwind.
    post anything, anytime
    i live in left field
    I think we're closing some gaps concerning why some stars and star systems have random motion and why some spin, and form themselves up into disks

    in a galactic adventure, left field may be really close to the center
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Dear sculptur, thanks for the clearance. It seems to me an appropriate Thread to put forward what I perceived to be some kind of a co-incidence between Galaxy formations and the conception of a Fetus, read assembly of baby genes into a living and breathing System. Is it too far away from the formations of Star Clusters? OK. There is this Genetic Spiral like code that is brought together in a fusion of creativity when conception is achieved within a Space like Womb. Then processes that are imprinted start to create designed forms, eventually assembling a working System. With the number of components, sub-assemblies, and neural pathways taking up their positions. In the procreation process there is created a command post. I see no command post in the assembly of a Galaxy. But is there one? westwind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind View Post
    Dear sculptur, thanks for the clearance. It seems to me an appropriate Thread to put forward what I perceived to be some kind of a co-incidence between Galaxy formations and the conception of a Fetus, read assembly of baby genes into a living and breathing System. Is it too far away from the formations of Star Clusters? OK. There is this Genetic Spiral like code that is brought together in a fusion of creativity when conception is achieved within a Space like Womb. Then processes that are imprinted start to create designed forms, eventually assembling a working System. With the number of components, sub-assemblies, and neural pathways taking up their positions. In the procreation process there is created a command post. I see no command post in the assembly of a Galaxy. But is there one? westwind.

    westwind, please do not post this new age crap in the Astronomy forum. I'd suggest pseudoscience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    WW
    Patterns replicating within the continuum from macrocosm to microcosm would never surprise me.
    I suspect that all of creation/universe has a finite number of patterns or templates from which to work.

    complex fractals can be a bit hard to fit into a shared pattern(or find a shared pattern)
    so if wou wish to expound on this some more, I'll follow your lead.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. 안녕하새요
    By Plank in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM
  2. 2008IEEE信息技术&
    By bluesky in forum Education
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 7th, 2008, 09:53 PM
  3. 2009IEEE电力工程&
    By bluesky in forum Mechanical, Structural and Chemical Engineering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
  4. Ulam and Sacks spirals
    By accountabled in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •