Notices
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Where has Radiant Energy gone?

  1. #1 Where has Radiant Energy gone? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    50
    It is said that Dark Energy and Dark Matter take up 96% of the Universe and the other 4% is heavenly bodies. Suns (Stars) have been pouring Radiant Energy into space since the Big Bang. Radiant Energy has not gone away. Just where is it and how much of it is in existence? Thanks, Joe L. Ogan


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    According to the BBT, the universe basically starts over again if you travel too far in one direction. It's kind of like how on Earth, if you start walking in one direction, and keep going far enough, you will eventually end up where you started.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Where has the Radiant Energy gone? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    50
    Is this supposed to be a reply to my question, "Where has the Radiant Energy gone"? Joe L. Ogan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Geo
    Geo is offline
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    273
    Joe,

    Doing a search on this could help?

    "What is the average temperature of the Universe"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator Dishmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    1,624
    There are many answers to this question. Generally, it is still there. I will list three main paths:

    Light and all electromagnetic radiation weakens according to the inverse square law. The farther it propagates the larger the sphere becomes that fills it. Imagine that at one time it has travelled 1 kilometre. Then this is the radius of a sphere until it has travelled. All the light emitted from the source is then distributed across the surface of that sphere. After travelling another kilometre, the radius has only doubled. However the light is then distributed across the surface of a sphere that is four time larger, because the surface goes with the square of the radius.

    Electromagnetic radiation is absorbed by interstellar and interplanetary matter (dust, gas, planets, etc.). This leads to heating up that matter. So, in fact the energy is still there, but the radiation is transformed into heat and infrared radiation.

    All radiation is subjected to the universal redshift that is caused by the expansion of the universe. This leads to a shift to higher wavelengths the farther it travels.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •