Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Modern Cosmology

  1. #1 Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    I have been thinking a new way of unfolding the mysteries of our cosmos! There are these jargons- dark energy, dark matter, visible matter, entanglement, speed of light, black holes, inflation, big bang, gravity, strong weak and electromagnetic forces, voids of space, spacetime etc etc... How do we combine all these into a coherent whole?

    see more at
    http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/blog/...ogy-17241.html
    http://rsridharan.blogspot.com/


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    250
    G'day from the land of ozzzzz

    Smile from another world.

    What is your point?


    Smile and live another day
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Modern Cosmology 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2
    Modern Cosmology by Scott Dodelson is intended for beginning graduate students. This book is very up to date and gives excellent treatments of structure formation, and especially of the CMB, including its polarization and details of its statistical analysis. This provides what is the most complete such description in any textbook. The topic of weak gravitational lensing is also handled well. The young author is an active researcher in theoretical cosmology whose enthusiasm for the subject is evident throughout, and whose selection of topics reflects his areas of greatest expertise. The inclusion of many worked examples will make this book a very good choice for a graduate course.

    For researchers, the treatment of data analysis will be particularly valuable. For both CMB, from WMAP and the future more data intensive Planck mission, and for LSS from the Sloan Digital Sky and 2dF surveys, as well as even larger galaxy surveys in the future, the quality and quantity of the raw data set are such that straightforward algorithms are too slow even with the fastest available computers. Thus considerable creativity and intelligence are needed to optimize such an analysis. It is interesting that a similar situation must exist for raw data from high-energy particle colliders such as from the Tevatron at Fermilab and the future LHC collider at CERN. It is therefore very welcome that, for both CMB and galaxy surveys, Dodelson leads us masterfully through the likelihood function and sophisticated mathematical techniques for its evaluation.
    ---------------------------------
    reetha

    http://www.thescienceforum.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    To All

    Most books written today, are versions of the BBT in the authors own words.

    Regarding the BBT, there is no official beginning given.
    It is said as ,'the initial conditions'.

    It is not an explosion, It is just an 'expansion of space'. Since it was not an explosion, the space is portrayed as a 'uniform expansion'.

    There is no space outside the BB. So there is no center or edge. This is analogous to a 2 dimensional surface of a sphere.

    Those above are the 3 main points of the BBT.

    How ever, ad hoc science has transformed the BB into a creation theory when they claim to explain the formation and abundance of the elements during the origin from the initial conditions?

    So this is not science because it is a creation concept like the bible teaches.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    250
    G'day Cosmo

    I agree with you.

    The problem is that people have closed ears. Does not matter what you say it just bounces off.
    Smile and live another day
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Costas
    G'day from the land of ozzzzz

    Smile from another world.

    What is your point?
    My apology for delayed response - access problems.
    I have raised some of the vital Qs drawing the attention of all - may be before we all depart some one come out with 'Eureka!' make us Smile and rest us in peace!
    My 2nd and 3rd blogs (under construction) will make 'myviews' more clear.
    Please go through my links to find out more.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    250
    G'day sridharanr

    The point is that the workings of the universe can be explained by information that we know of star formation and galaxy evolution without using ad hoc ideas to make it work.

    Ad hoc ideas such as Dark matter, dark energy and the expanding universe based on redshifts that are not fully understood because of intrinsic properties.
    Smile and live another day
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by reetha25
    Modern Cosmology by Scott Dodelson is intended for beginning graduate students. This book is very up to date and gives excellent treatments of structure formation, and especially of the CMB, including its polarization and details of its statistical analysis. This provides what is the most complete such description in any textbook. The topic of weak gravitational lensing is also handled well. The young author is an active researcher in theoretical cosmology whose enthusiasm for the subject is evident throughout, and whose selection of topics reflects his areas of greatest expertise. The inclusion of many worked examples will make this book a very good choice for a graduate course.

    For researchers, the treatment of data analysis will be particularly valuable. For both CMB, from WMAP and the future more data intensive Planck mission, and for LSS from the Sloan Digital Sky and 2dF surveys, as well as even larger galaxy surveys in the future, the quality and quantity of the raw data set are such that straightforward algorithms are too slow even with the fastest available computers. Thus considerable creativity and intelligence are needed to optimize such an analysis. It is interesting that a similar situation must exist for raw data from high-energy particle colliders such as from the Tevatron at Fermilab and the future LHC collider at CERN. It is therefore very welcome that, for both CMB and galaxy surveys, Dodelson leads us masterfully through the likelihood function and sophisticated mathematical techniques for its evaluation.
    ---------------------------------
    reetha

    http://www.thescienceforum.com
    Modern Cosmology is no trade mark of any individual work - it is a general usage and I am thankful to you for making me aware of a famous book with the same title.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    To All

    Most books written today, are versions of the BBT in the authors own words.

    Regarding the BBT, there is no official beginning given.
    It is said as ,'the initial conditions'.

    It is not an explosion, It is just an 'expansion of space'. Since it was not an explosion, the space is portrayed as a 'uniform expansion'.

    There is no space outside the BB. So there is no center or edge. This is analogous to a 2 dimensional surface of a sphere.

    Those above are the 3 main points of the BBT.

    How ever, ad hoc science has transformed the BB into a creation theory when they claim to explain the formation and abundance of the elements during the origin from the initial conditions?

    So this is not science because it is a creation concept like the bible teaches.

    Cosmo
    None of my ideas expressed in this blog are connected with any metaphysical or creationist thinking - I have only conveyed what that great Einstein taught us - there is no God involved - this is purely a scientific interrogation for the consideration of the scientific community.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    G'day Harry Costas
    I fully agree with you - if we go through that famous 'Scientific American', we see many are ad hoc hypotheses - in the absence of reality, we all speculate!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by sridharanr
    None of my ideas expressed in this blog are connected with any metaphysical or creationist thinking - I have only conveyed what that great Einstein taught us - there is no God involved - this is purely a scientific interrogation for the consideration of the scientific comm
    I detect the name Sidharta Gautama in your user name. I am familiar with his Budhist philosophy. Is that your religion?

    My ideas do not include Einstein.
    His mass energy formula is not practical and has an important componant missing and that is the frequency of 'c'.

    His static universe would collapse by his own admission, so that is where his ideas cannot be applied to a Flat Space universe (SSU).

    I solved the 'Theory of Everything' that he failed to do after 30 years of trying.

    His 'curvature of space' to replace Newtons gravity is false. That idea would be the cause of his static universe collapsing.

    Newton was the greatest mathmatician and Kepler was the first of the 'greats'.
    So no one can replace Newtons math.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    G'day Cosmo
    I hope no one presumes all user names starting with 's' as Sidharth......
    I revere Albert Einsein one of the greatest and without whose ideas no LHC or BB can be imagined - may be all are great in their own right.
    I have no dogmas - I am only a kibitzer trying to solve TOE in 10 seconds!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: Modern Cosmology 
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by sridharanr
    I have been thinking a new way of unfolding the mysteries of our cosmos! There are these jargons- dark energy, dark matter, visible matter, entanglement, speed of light, black holes, inflation, big bang, gravity, strong weak and electromagnetic forces, voids of space, spacetime etc etc... How do we combine all these into a coherent whole?

    see more at
    http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/blog/...ogy-17241.html
    http://rsridharan.blogspot.com/
    http://rsridharan.stumbleupon.com/
    Probably someone could make a lot of money just by writing a book that defines all of these "jargons" in layman's terms. It's true that, until you know what all these terms mean, and really understand them exactly, most of modern physics is closed to you.


    Dark Energy and Dark Matter are just speculations. Astronomers have been adding them into their equations in order to make sense of the unexpected behavior of stars on the outer rim of a galaxy.

    Visible Matter - Any matter that isn't "Dark Matter"

    Entanglement - Sometimes a pair of subatomic particles (or photons) can be created that behave like "Corsican Twins" whatever the one twin feels, the other twin feels as well. Or, whatever you do to the one particle, something equivalent happens to the other as well. Nobody really knows why. It's useful for experiments, but doesn't seem to play much of a role in our everyday lives.


    The Strong, Weak, and Electromagnetic forces.... constructs we use to explain what we're seeing. Scientist hope that someday they'll find a "Unified Field Theory" that compresses them all into one force, but the search is ongoing.


    Basically : putting them all together is the dream of physicists everywhere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Re: Modern Cosmology 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    Quote Originally Posted by sridharanr
    I have been thinking a new way of unfolding the mysteries of our cosmos! There are these jargons- dark energy, dark matter, visible matter, entanglement, speed of light, black holes, inflation, big bang, gravity, strong weak and electromagnetic forces, voids of space, spacetime etc etc... How do we combine all these into a coherent whole?

    see more at
    http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/blog/...ogy-17241.html
    http://rsridharan.blogspot.com/
    http://rsridharan.stumbleupon.com/
    Probably someone could make a lot of money just by writing a book that defines all of these "jargons" in layman's terms. It's true that, until you know what all these terms mean, and really understand them exactly, most of modern physics is closed to you.


    Dark Energy and Dark Matter are just speculations. Astronomers have been adding them into their equations in order to make sense of the unexpected behavior of stars on the outer rim of a galaxy.

    Visible Matter - Any matter that isn't "Dark Matter"

    Entanglement - Sometimes a pair of subatomic particles (or photons) can be created that behave like "Corsican Twins" whatever the one twin feels, the other twin feels as well. Or, whatever you do to the one particle, something equivalent happens to the other as well. Nobody really knows why. It's useful for experiments, but doesn't seem to play much of a role in our everyday lives.


    The Strong, Weak, and Electromagnetic forces.... constructs we use to explain what we're seeing. Scientist hope that someday they'll find a "Unified Field Theory" that compresses them all into one force, but the search is ongoing.


    Basically : putting them all together is the dream of physicists everywhere.
    Modern physics is closed to all of us because none of us know exactly what are these "Dark Energy", "Dark Matter" "Entanglement" , "Inflation" etc etc - as I have already said elsewhere we all live in the world of speculations and fantasies because we are ignorant of realities.

    In my blog I have only tried to emphasize our ignorance to draw the attention of everyone, because I feel (it is also every one's concern) that our progress needs to be hastened up.

    Physicists are trying to unify every thing in the micro world - Won't it be a good idea to do the same at macro level!?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •