Notices

View Poll Results: Do you feel music censorship is fair/right?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    5 100.00%
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: music censorship

  1. #1 music censorship 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    What are your opinions on censorship of music? This topic is wide open, go for however you personally interpret the question.


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Why censor music? If you don't like it, don't buy it.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifor Refugee
    Why censor music? If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    yes, i agree. What i was getting at with this seemingly unpopular post was that I don't think music should ever be censored, even though it is at times. Music videos banned from television, CDs edited for language, even "parental warning: explicit lyrics" labels or whatever. Music is an art, it's an expression, and it shouldn't be restricted at all. If you have a problem with it, don't listen to it. And if you have to, deal with it. I was wondering how others felt about it, because personally it ticks me off that anyone would dream of censoring anyone's artwork.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifor Refugee
    Why censor music? If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    yes, i agree. What i was getting at with this seemingly unpopular post was that I don't think music should ever be censored, even though it is at times. Music videos banned from television, CDs edited for language, even "parental warning: explicit lyrics" labels or whatever. Music is an art, it's an expression, and it shouldn't be restricted at all. If you have a problem with it, don't listen to it. And if you have to, deal with it. I was wondering how others felt about it, because personally it ticks me off that anyone would dream of censoring anyone's artwork.
    Lets see..... Since your grouping all of the above together your implying that you find it acceptable for explicit lyrics to be broadcast through TV and Radio.

    Coupled with the fact that you find Parental warnings on media ticking you off leads me to believe that you have no children.

    Or did you really mean something else?

    Bettina
    Emotionally based life form. The Fword will get you on my ignore list.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    I would not agree with any government not allowing a certain artist to release their music....or jack-booted thugs banging on your door demanding you give them all your cd's because of a certain artist's political stand.

    However "art" is a relative term. I have a hard time classifying some of today's music as "art".

    Let's look at an example:

    From 50 cent
    "Fuck You"

    [Chorus: scratching]
    Pain In Da Ass "Fuck You" [3x]
    Styles "I don't give a fuck" [3x]
    Styles "I don't give a fuck who you are"
    Pain In The Ass " Fuck You"
    Nas "Niggaz is this and that"
    Big Pun "I'm even, even better than before"
    Styles "I don't give a fuck who you are"
    Pain In Da Ass "Fuck you"
    Nas "Niggaz is this and that, I'm just, I'm just, I'm just the best"
    Styles "I don't give a fuck who you are"
    Pain In Da Ass "Fuck you"
    Nas "Niggaz is this and that"
    Big Pun "I'm even, even better than before"
    Styles "I don't give a fuck who you are"
    Nas "Niggaz is this and that, I'm just, I'm just, I'm just the best"

    Is this art, or just someone recording themselves bragging and cursing? Would you play this song at church, or for your grandmother? Would you like your 10 year old child to listen to this? Probably not.

    Don't get me wrong, I think 50 cent has every right to make this kind of music, and make all the money he wants. Just like hard-core porn can be considered an art form, maybe this is too, but I think most people would agree that "Debbie does Dallas" would not be appropriate to show in an elementary school classroom. Movies have a rating system so that parents can judge what they consider appropriate for their kids...music should not be any different.

    Just because it's art, doesn't mean it's right for everyone of all ages.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Guest
    Just good allround family entertainment then...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    I would have to say no, but i suppose there could be times when you might say yes. Lets just say someone brought out a song describing the details of acting as a paedophile or raping etc in detail, would you still say no?
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Guest
    Music censorship has been practiced in the past, in Nazi Germany orchestras were banned from playing the works of many composers - some western music was banned from the Soviet Union, perhaps today China has a say in what may be played on it's air waves. The previous poster mentions a theoretical piece which is more likely to be rejected by either record companies or be illegal under obscenity or sex laws.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    A lot of Russian composers were exiled during the Soviet Union.

    I think that music shouldn't be censored. It's up to parents to keep an eye on what their children are listening to. If I were a parent, I'd see what my kid was buying. If he/she were buying a CD with the above dexcribed song by 50 Cent, I would not allow it.
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    There is also a big difference between government censorship and private industry censorship. One does it to suppress ideas that they feel endanger their power, the other does it strictly for money.

    For instance, MTV is a cable tv channel, and is not subject to FCC regulations that regular broadcast channels are, like NBC. If they wanted to, they could play whatever videos they chose to, but they limit themselves so they don't lose advertisers. They do this to make money. Same thing with the "explicit lyrics" warning sticker. That's a product of Recording Industry Association of America, a private group that represents the recording industry, caving in to the pressures of another private group called Parents Music Resource Center....because they didn't want to lose money.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    There are some really horrid lyrics out there, that I personally would never choose to listen to, nor would I want my children (who don't exist) to listen to. I'm not really talking about MTV choosing not to show music videos because they're in bad taste. That's their choice, and others just have to deal with it. I just don't feel that songs should be censored where they are publicly played. Weeding out the bad lyrics before playing them is completely understandable. You just shouldn't mess with the artistic (or supposedly artistic) style of music where it is played. And like with that "50 Cent" song, I do not consider that art (or any rap really, i can't stand that stuff), but its really a matter of opinion.

    And by the way, I'm completely aware that I am not covering all points of view and all situations, nor can I. And since I can't, I am just speaking what I feel as I feel it, and that's the best I can do.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Nah, i dont think music should be censored. When they censor swear words in videos and things that are supposed to be there or they change them to something similar it just spoils the song in my opinion. And yes, if u dont like 50 "fucks" in a song dont listen to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Junior Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    There are some really horrid lyrics out there, that I personally would never choose to listen to, nor would I want my children (who don't exist) to listen to. I'm not really talking about MTV choosing not to show music videos because they're in bad taste. That's their choice, and others just have to deal with it. I just don't feel that songs should be censored where they are publicly played. Weeding out the bad lyrics before playing them is completely understandable. You just shouldn't mess with the artistic (or supposedly artistic) style of music where it is played. And like with that "50 Cent" song, I do not consider that art (or any rap really, i can't stand that stuff), but its really a matter of opinion.

    And by the way, I'm completely aware that I am not covering all points of view and all situations, nor can I. And since I can't, I am just speaking what I feel as I feel it, and that's the best I can do.
    Your very confusing. You say you don't want your children (if you had any) to listen to horrid lyrics like 50 cent, but in your earlier posts you specifically state it ticks you off it if is censored. I don't buy music with offensive words in them, and I even ignore people here that use it.

    Which side of the fence are you on?

    Bettina
    Emotionally based life form. The Fword will get you on my ignore list.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    I have a Tragically Hip CD with the f-word in a couple of songs. The word appears twice in the CD. I don't find this very disturbing. But I wouldn't want my 6-year old brother to hear it. Censoring doesn't do much, it puts annoying bleeps in the middle of the song. I wouldn't listen to that 50-cent song.
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina
    Your very confusing. You say you don't want your children (if you had any) to listen to horrid lyrics like 50 cent, but in your earlier posts you specifically state it ticks you off it if is censored. I don't buy music with offensive words in them, and I even ignore people here that use it.

    Which side of the fence are you on?

    Bettina
    I don't think music should be censored. Period. But that doesn't mean that I don't think it should be controlled by individual companies or whoever. "Musicians" out there like "50 Cent" should have the right to not have their "music" edited in any way. So, if some song with 50 "f" words in it is played in some public situation (radio, on tv, commercial, whatever), then it should not be censored. But I do trust that radio stations have enough sense not to play stuff like that, because there are definitely people who do not want to hear it. I wouldn't let my child listen to a song with terrible lyrics, but that doesn't mean the song should be censored. So basically, music should not be censored, but the public playing of it should be controlled out of respect for people who do not appreciate bad language and such. But if someone likes that, then they can go ahead and buy a CD and there should be no censoring or editing whatsoever.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Junior Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina
    Your very confusing. You say you don't want your children (if you had any) to listen to horrid lyrics like 50 cent, but in your earlier posts you specifically state it ticks you off it if is censored. I don't buy music with offensive words in them, and I even ignore people here that use it.

    Which side of the fence are you on?

    Bettina
    I don't think music should be censored. Period. But that doesn't mean that I don't think it should be controlled by individual companies or whoever. "Musicians" out there like "50 Cent" should have the right to not have their "music" edited in any way. So, if some song with 50 "f" words in it is played in some public situation (radio, on tv, commercial, whatever), then it should not be censored. But I do trust that radio stations have enough sense not to play stuff like that, because there are definitely people who do not want to hear it. I wouldn't let my child listen to a song with terrible lyrics, but that doesn't mean the song should be censored. So basically, music should not be censored, but the public playing of it should be controlled out of respect for people who do not appreciate bad language and such. But if someone likes that, then they can go ahead and buy a CD and there should be no censoring or editing whatsoever.
    Ok, I agree to that. In fact, during the summer months, our town holds a concert every tuesday night where local bands, professional and startup, play. I sing there also.

    At the entrance to the park there is a sign that says "No golfing", etc, etc, but the new one is at the bottom. It reads "loud or offensive music, or any excessive noise which disturbs the peace is prohibited in any Park area."

    That was added because little kids were playing there when older kids were playing 50 cent type music on boomboxes. Yeah, for my town.

    Bettina
    Emotionally based life form. The Fword will get you on my ignore list.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Heres a link to Wiki which has an interesting article on the subject.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_music
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •