Notices
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 3 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By babe

Thread: Bloody Hollywood AGAIN.

  1. #1 Bloody Hollywood AGAIN. 
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,595
    Just watched Europa Report.
    Well worth it. Unknown (to me) cast and, miracle of miracles, it's a straight science fiction story - not SF horror, not SF action, not SF anything... just SF.
    Something that could (with a few changes 1) been written by Asimov, or, more probably, Clarke.
    Science fiction from when SF was about the wonder of it all.

    So what's wrong?
    This: I spent half the film waiting for the Big Bad to burst out of someone's stomach, or through the walls, or swoop down from another dimension.
    It really did take a while to get into the swing of this is a real story about the actual possibilities 2.
    It's not "huge", it's not "spectacular" 3, it's not Hollywood.
    But it IS a damned good genuine science fiction film.
    Don't pass up the chance to see it.
    "Compared to the breadth of knowledge yet to be known, what does your life actually matter?"
    Now that's "golden age" SF.

    Oh yeah - it also posits a genuine reason why women on space missions (especially long term ones) isn't really feasible [sup5[/sup].

    1 It's done as a found footage story - which maybe wouldn't work in written form, but would have been fine as a linear tale.
    2 Nuh, okay there was the obligatory "I'm running low on air and have to get back to the ship but I saw something just over there and I'm going to risk taking a look" followed, as ever, closely by "Oh shit I'm dead".
    3 But, of course, it IS. It's about people, frail stubborn humans, venturing out into space - space! stars! OMG just LOOK at it! - and a genuine "Look upward, and share... the wonders I have seen" 4.
    4 Sadly Chiana wasn't in it though.
    5 They said it out loud - you're only allowed two pairs of shoes on the ship!


    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    A movie with substance and meaning, without copious amounts of blood at intermittent sex scenes throughout? Sounds awful.


    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    From the OP
    5 They said it out loud - you're only allowed two pairs of shoes on the ship!
    Keeping them pregnant and barefoot would solve the shoe problem but present with a host of others, I suppose?
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    From the OP
    5 They said it out loud - you're only allowed two pairs of shoes on the ship!
    Keeping them pregnant and barefoot would solve the shoe problem but present with a host of others, I suppose?
    Not the least of which might be Guinea Worms. joc
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    Darn, not on netflix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,065
    Dang....I'll miss it.....not enough special effects to make it real
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Sometimes a trailer helps. I'd watch it.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,595
    That trailer could lead you into thinking it's a "monsters coming through the walls" type film.
    I'm not saying it's misleading but how many people do you suppose would, after seeing the trailer, expect monsters?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    That trailer could lead you into thinking it's a "monsters coming through the walls" type film.
    I'm not saying it's misleading but how many people do you suppose would, after seeing the trailer, expect monsters?
    I don't know, but not getting what you expect is sometimes good. Any group of 6 people on that kind of adventure can be harry enough without any monsters. It's the kind of mission that has a very good chance of being a one way trip and you still make the choice to go on it. Then throw in some great space scenery and whatever might pass for human interaction in that situation and you have what might be a pretty good plot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I don't know, but not getting what you expect is sometimes good.
    I agree, in general. But.

    Not getting what you expect means you have to reassess what you've already seen.
    And, depending on whereabouts in the film that point occurs and how long it takes you to do so, affects the rest of the film to varying degrees.

    I caught up fairly quickly with RED - I'd read the original comic and was looking forward to something far, far far, darker, but it was only about ten-twenty minutes or so in when I made the switch. And loved it.
    On the other hand I was dragged by my (then) wife to see Costner's Robin Hood, about which I'd heard nothing prior to arriving at the cinema. It took far longer for me to realise it supposed to be funny (in that I'd gone in thinking it was going to be a serious treatment and had also not, up that point, found the "humorous aspects" to be particularly humorous). It's still not a film I'm enamoured of.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I don't know, but not getting what you expect is sometimes good.
    I agree, in general. But.

    Not getting what you expect means you have to reassess what you've already seen.
    And, depending on whereabouts in the film that point occurs and how long it takes you to do so, affects the rest of the film to varying degrees.

    I caught up fairly quickly with RED - I'd read the original comic and was looking forward to something far, far far, darker, but it was only about ten-twenty minutes or so in when I made the switch. And loved it.
    On the other hand I was dragged by my (then) wife to see Costner's Robin Hood, about which I'd heard nothing prior to arriving at the cinema. It took far longer for me to realise it supposed to be funny (in that I'd gone in thinking it was going to be a serious treatment and had also not, up that point, found the "humorous aspects" to be particularly humorous). It's still not a film I'm enamoured of.
    If it's a SciFi movie, I'll probably want to go see it and make up my own mind about it's worth to me. However this movie could be the real thing in the not to distant future, so it's only a semi-SciFi movie or something close to that. It's almost something you can relate to in the here and now and that makes it a bit more exciting than it might otherwise be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Sometimes a trailer helps. I'd watch it.

    now I really do not like heights!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    33
    This movie got too much praise for being "realistic" or "scientifically accurate."

    1. Why didn't they have sonar? You'd think that'd be a key instrument for underwater exploration.

    2. EVA suits (space suits) have contingency thrusters: Simplified Aid for EVA Rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    3. Katya was a lunatic, as was the crew in general. Scientists don't zealously, impulsively risks their lives for the sake of scientific discovery. Scientific research is done under the assumption of personal well being. Not even the most fervent scientist in the world would give a hoot about scientific data if it meant putting their life in the path of direct harm.

    4. People with families (spouse and kids) wouldn't volunteer for such a risky mission.

    5. The way the blonde girl (Rosa?) kept implying that acquisition of scientific knowledge trumps self preservation was laughable. Not sure what the writers were thinking. These were caricatures of scientists.
    Favorite scientists:
    Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jim Al-Khalili, Scott Atran, Lawrence Krauss, Michael Shermer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by pikkiwoki View Post
    This movie got too much praise for being "realistic" or "scientifically accurate."

    1. Why didn't they have sonar? You'd think that'd be a key instrument for underwater exploration.

    2. EVA suits (space suits) have contingency thrusters: Simplified Aid for EVA Rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    3. Katya was a lunatic, as was the crew in general. Scientists don't zealously, impulsively risks their lives for the sake of scientific discovery. Scientific research is done under the assumption of personal well being. Not even the most fervent scientist in the world would give a hoot about scientific data if it meant putting their life in the path of direct harm.

    4. People with families (spouse and kids) wouldn't volunteer for such a risky mission.

    5. The way the blonde girl (Rosa?) kept implying that acquisition of scientific knowledge trumps self preservation was laughable. Not sure what the writers were thinking. These were caricatures of scientists.
    I would tend to disagree with you in that lots of scientists put themselves in very dangerous situations. Just to name a few, storm chasers, vulcanologist, astronauts, deep sea explorers, cave explorers, jungle work. Whenever there is a great need for knowledge there will be people willing to put themselves in danger to get it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pikkiwoki View Post
    This movie got too much praise for being "realistic" or "scientifically accurate."

    1. Why didn't they have sonar? You'd think that'd be a key instrument for underwater exploration.

    2. EVA suits (space suits) have contingency thrusters: Simplified Aid for EVA Rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    3. Katya was a lunatic, as was the crew in general. Scientists don't zealously, impulsively risks their lives for the sake of scientific discovery. Scientific research is done under the assumption of personal well being. Not even the most fervent scientist in the world would give a hoot about scientific data if it meant putting their life in the path of direct harm.

    4. People with families (spouse and kids) wouldn't volunteer for such a risky mission.

    5. The way the blonde girl (Rosa?) kept implying that acquisition of scientific knowledge trumps self preservation was laughable. Not sure what the writers were thinking. These were caricatures of scientists.
    I would tend to disagree with you in that lots of scientists put themselves in very dangerous situations. Just to name a few, storm chasers, vulcanologist, astronauts, deep sea explorers, cave explorers, jungle work. Whenever there is a great need for knowledge there will be people willing to put themselves in danger to get it.
    Point taken, but I still found Katya unrealistically and cartoonishly impulsive and foolhardy.

    Also, all those scientists you named deal with risks that, although unpredictable and dangerous, are still well known and predictable to at least some degree. Katya was in a totally unknown, unexplored, alien environment yet she was acting like a crazed idiot.
    Favorite scientists:
    Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jim Al-Khalili, Scott Atran, Lawrence Krauss, Michael Shermer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by pikkiwoki View Post
    Point taken, but I still found Katya unrealistically and cartoonishly impulsive and foolhardy.

    Also, all those scientists you named deal with risks that, although unpredictable and dangerous, are still well known and predictable to at least some degree. Katya was in a totally unknown, unexplored, alien environment yet she was acting like a crazed idiot.
    Until I see the movie, I can't really comment one way or the other. But yes I've seen some real stupidity in what could be very good movies otherwise.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,065
    Quote Originally Posted by pikkiwoki View Post
    This movie got too much praise for being "realistic" or "scientifically accurate."

    1. Why didn't they have sonar? You'd think that'd be a key instrument for underwater exploration.

    2. EVA suits (space suits) have contingency thrusters: Simplified Aid for EVA Rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    3. Katya was a lunatic, as was the crew in general. Scientists don't zealously, impulsively risks their lives for the sake of scientific discovery. Scientific research is done under the assumption of personal well being. Not even the most fervent scientist in the world would give a hoot about scientific data if it meant putting their life in the path of direct harm.

    4. People with families (spouse and kids) wouldn't volunteer for such a risky mission.

    5. The way the blonde girl (Rosa?) kept implying that acquisition of scientific knowledge trumps self preservation was laughable. Not sure what the writers were thinking. These were caricatures of scientists.
    Are you my mother?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by pikkiwoki
    Scientists don't zealously, impulsively risks their lives for the sake of scientific discovery. Scientific research is done under the assumption of personal well being. Not even the most fervent scientist in the world would give a hoot about scientific data if it meant putting their life in the path of direct harm.
    Exactly. And Marie Curie agrees with you.
    As does Carl Scheele, Elizabeth Ascheim, Alexander Bogdanov and quite a few others...
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    282
    Nice find, Sir Duck. Now I will be distracted for days trying to find a place to download it. Not sure I should thank you ; )

    I wonder if you have seen the much lower budget film, Primer, and if so, what you think of it? It's available on Netflix, or at least used to be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,595
    Haven't got round to Primer yet.
    From what I understand it requires careful watching and my current state of mind is more suited to bubblegum cinema at the moment.
    But it's on my "To be most definitely watched" list.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by danhanegan View Post
    Nice find, Sir Duck. Now I will be distracted for days trying to find a place to download it. Not sure I should thank you ; )

    I wonder if you have seen the much lower budget film, Primer, and if so, what you think of it? It's available on Netflix, or at least used to be.
    Yes it's still on Netflix. Damn! I just finished watching Spartacus: War of the Damned all 10 episodes blood and guts special effects and I'll never be the same again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danhanegan View Post
    Nice find, Sir Duck. Now I will be distracted for days trying to find a place to download it. Not sure I should thank you ; )

    I wonder if you have seen the much lower budget film, Primer, and if so, what you think of it? It's available on Netflix, or at least used to be.
    Yes it's still on Netflix. Damn! I just finished watching Spartacus: War of the Damned all 10 episodes blood and guts special effects and I'll never be the same again.
    Of course you won't, lol. Life is a process and while some of us may be resistant to change, the fact remains that none of us are or can remain the same for the simple reason that every experience that we have gets reconfigured into who we are and who we will become. We are all the result of the random dice game of the universe arising from whence and ultimately returning to the same place.

    That, and you would hardly fit the descriptor of 'average' or 'ordinary' based on my time of forum play with you.

    Ahem.

    That was 'forum play'..., NOT foreplay....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danhanegan View Post
    Nice find, Sir Duck. Now I will be distracted for days trying to find a place to download it. Not sure I should thank you ; )

    I wonder if you have seen the much lower budget film, Primer, and if so, what you think of it? It's available on Netflix, or at least used to be.
    Yes it's still on Netflix. Damn! I just finished watching Spartacus: War of the Damned all 10 episodes blood and guts special effects and I'll never be the same again.
    Of course you won't, lol. Life is a process and while some of us may be resistant to change, the fact remains that none of us are or can remain the same for the simple reason that every experience that we have gets reconfigured into who we are and who we will become. We are all the result of the random dice game of the universe arising from whence and ultimately returning to the same place.

    That, and you would hardly fit the descriptor of 'average' or 'ordinary' based on my time of forum play with you.

    Ahem.

    That was 'forum play'..., NOT foreplay....
    It's mental foreplay then it's up to your husband to take advantage of an aroused female in close proximity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,065
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danhanegan View Post
    Nice find, Sir Duck. Now I will be distracted for days trying to find a place to download it. Not sure I should thank you ; )

    I wonder if you have seen the much lower budget film, Primer, and if so, what you think of it? It's available on Netflix, or at least used to be.
    Yes it's still on Netflix. Damn! I just finished watching Spartacus: War of the Damned all 10 episodes blood and guts special effects and I'll never be the same again.
    Of course you won't, lol. Life is a process and while some of us may be resistant to change, the fact remains that none of us are or can remain the same for the simple reason that every experience that we have gets reconfigured into who we are and who we will become. We are all the result of the random dice game of the universe arising from whence and ultimately returning to the same place.

    That, and you would hardly fit the descriptor of 'average' or 'ordinary' based on my time of forum play with you.

    Ahem.

    That was 'forum play'..., NOT foreplay....
    I think it was both! *L*
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Bloody foreigners!
    By John Galt in forum History
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: October 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM
  2. Hollywood and how Bad Guys fail - A sort of Film Review.
    By Dywyddyr in forum Art and Culture
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 02:03 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM
  4. Hollywood Pigeons to Be Put on the Pill
    By scpg02 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •