Notices
Results 1 to 49 of 49

Thread: Meaningful Songs

  1. #1 Meaningful Songs 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    I don't think a thread like this has been started, but if it has, I apologize. Just an idea I had... I think it would be interesting if everyone posted lyrics or just song titles of songs that are really meaningful and deep, like songs whose purpose was to wake people up and make them come to some realization through the message of the song. Hope that makes sense. For example: Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones

    Wikipedia: "The song's lyrics paint a picture of social apocalypse -- storm, fire, flood, war, rape, murder, all "just a shot away" -- finally capped by the assertion that "love, sister, it's just a kiss away."

    Things like that.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    *sniff sniff*... guess no one likes this idea. oh well
    I just think it's a cool thing, because music is very much a way to express feelings and get views out, so i thought it'd be interesting to see what kind of songs like this people like.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Give us a day to discover your thread, we're not that quick :P

    Yea I really like anti-war songs, they can be very meaningful indeed. And I like "Streets of London" by eh hm dunno the artist, 70s song about the poor&lonely forgotten people. And great guitar work.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    There u go, "Streets of London" by Ralph McTell:

    Have you seen the old man
    In the closed-down market
    Kicking up the paper,
    with his worn out shoes?
    In his eyes you see no pride
    And held loosely at his side
    Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

    So how can you tell me you're lonely,
    And say for you that the sun don't shine?
    Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
    I'll show you something to make you change your mind

    Have you seen the old girl
    Who walks the streets of London
    Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?
    She's no time for talking,
    She just keeps right on walking
    Carrying her home in two carrier bags.

    Chorus

    In the all night cafe
    At a quarter past eleven,
    Same old man is sitting there on his own
    Looking at the world
    Over the rim of his tea-cup,
    Each tea last an hour
    Then he wanders home alone

    Chorus

    And have you seen the old man
    Outside the seaman's mission
    Memory fading with
    The medal ribbons that he wears.
    In our winter city,
    The rain cries a little pity
    For one more forgotten hero
    And a world that doesn't care

    Chorus
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    It's Cold outside, no kind of atmosphere,
    All alone, more or less....

    And then to neatly balance this pessimistic view....


    Always look on the bright si-ide of life....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Here's one of my favorites... Blinded by Rainbows - Voodoo Lounge - The Rolling Stones (the entire album is really excellent) The music is really good too. Great song altogether.

    Did you ever feel the pain
    That He felt upon the cross
    Did you ever feel the knife
    Tearing flesh that's oh so soft

    Did you ever touch the night
    Did you ever count the cost
    Do you hide away the fear
    Put down paradise as lost

    You're blinded by rainbows
    Watching the wind blow
    Blinded by rainbows
    Do you dream at night
    Do you sleep at night
    I doubt it

    Did you ever feel the blast
    As the semtex bomb goes off
    Do you ever hear the screams
    As the limbs are all torn off
    Did you ever kiss the child
    Who just saw his father shot
    Do you ever shed a tear
    As the war drags on and on

    do you ever touch the night
    Or is it just another job
    Do you fear the final hours
    Put down paradise as lost

    Blinded by rainbows
    And faces in windows
    Blinded by rainbows
    Do you dream at night
    Do you sleep at night
    I doubt it

    Do you ever fear the night
    Could it be the war is lost
    Do you fear the final hour
    Do you kneel before the cross

    You're blinded by rainbows
    And I'm watching the wind blow
    Blinded by rainbows
    Do you dream at night
    Do you scream at night
    Do you smell of fear
    Is your conscience clear
    Are you caked in sweat

    Are your clothes all wet
    Do you see the light
    Is the end in sight

    See the face of Christ
    Enter paradise
    I doubt it
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    I love U2. Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For are awesome. And menaingful. But I also love to listen to Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits make fun of society in Money For Nothing, Sultans of Swing, and Romeo and Juliet.
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    264
    To me, "O' Holy Night" is the most powerful and deepest song I have ever sung. I sing it many times during December and I've found nothing to take its place.

    O' Holy night, the stars are brightly shining
    It is the night of our dear Savior's birth
    Long lay the world
    In sin and error pining
    'Til He appeared and the soul felt His worth

    The thrill of hope,
    The weary world rejoices
    For yonder brings a new and glorious morn

    Fall on your knees
    Oh, hear the angel's voices
    O' night divine
    O' night when Christ was born
    O' night divine
    O' night,
    O' night divine

    O' Holy night, the stars are brightly shining
    It is the night of our dear Savior's birth
    Oh...
    Long lay the world
    In sin and error pining
    'Til He appeared and the soul felt His worth

    The thrill of hope,
    The weary world rejoices
    For yonder brings a new and glorious morn

    Fall on your knees
    Oh, hear the angel's voices
    O' night divine
    O' night when Christ was born
    O' night divine
    O' night,
    O' night di...divine


    Bettina
    Emotionally based life form. The Fword will get you on my ignore list.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    as its a science forum how about monty pythons galaxy song(remember this is a good couple of decades old) :wink: :-

    Whenever life gets you down Mrs. Brown,
    And things seem hard or tough,
    And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
    And you feel that you've had quite enough......

    Just, remember that you standing on a planet thats evolving,
    And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour.
    Its orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so its reckoned,
    A sun that is the source of all our power.

    The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see,
    Are moving at a million miles a day,
    In an outer spiral arm at fourty thousand miles an hour
    In a galaxy we call the milky way.

    Our galaxy itself, contains a hundred billion stars,
    Its a hundred thousand light years side-to-side.
    It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
    but out by us it just three thousand light years wide.

    We're thirty thousand light years fron galactic central point,
    We go round every two hundred million years,
    And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions in this amazing and
    expanding universe.

    The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
    In all of the directions it can wizz.
    As fast as it can go, the speed of light ya know,
    Twelve million miles a minute and thats the fastest speed there is,
    So remember when your feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth.
    And pray that theres intellegent life somewhere up in space,
    Cause theres bugger-all down here on earth.
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    Make me laugh even when they're not on a screen!
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Here's a good one, this song really puts a lot of my feelings toward the world into words.


    Tell me what's wrong with society
    When everywhere I look I see
    Young girls dying to be on TV
    They wont stop 'til they've reached their dreams

    Diet pills, surgery
    Photoshop pictures in magazines
    Telling them how they should be
    It doesn't make sense to me

    Is everybody going crazy?
    Is anybody gonna save me?
    Can anybody tell me what's going on?
    Tell me what's going on
    If you open your eyes
    You'll see that something is wrong

    I guess things are not how they used to be
    There's no more normal families
    Parents act like enemies
    Making kids feel like it's world war III

    No one cares, no one's there
    I guess we're all just too damn busy
    Money's our first priority
    It doesn't make sense to me

    Is everybody going crazy?
    Is anybody gonna save me?
    Can anybody tell me what's going on?
    Tell me what's going on
    If you open your eyes
    You'll see that something is wrong

    is everybody going crazy?
    is everybody going crazy?

    Tell me what's wrong with society
    When everywhere I look I see
    Rich guys driving big SUV's
    While kids are starving in the streets
    No one cares
    No one likes to share
    I guess life's unfair

    Is everybody going crazy?
    Is anybody gonna save me?
    Can anybody tell me what's going on
    Tell me what's going on
    If you open your eyes
    You'll see that something

    something is wrong
    Is everybody going Crazy?
    Can anybody tell me what's going on
    Tell me what's going on
    If you open your eyes
    You'll see that something is wrong
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Oh, I forgot. That's Crazy by Simple Plan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Strugle Town
    Posts
    222
    Try Mendelssohn. Songs without words, quite a selection to chose from. 8)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19
    Songs make me feel not for their lyrics. The melodies are what make me feel (sad, happy, nervous, strange, etc). I listen only electronic music and my favourite genres don't have many sang songs (they are only melodic or base sound).

    I have many tracks that make me feel:

    Endymion - Nothing is what it seems.
    Endymion - Rock the part-E.
    Ophidian - Angel.
    Ophidian - Butterfly V.I.P.
    Ophidian - The middle children.
    Nosferatu versus Endymion - All the way up.
    Nosferatu - Raythered.
    Nosferatu - Language of rythm.
    Tommynocker - Showtime.
    Osiris & T-Junction - Adrenalin shotz.
    Negative A - Death after visualizing eternity.
    Evil activities versus Endymion - Do you like bass?
    DJ D feat. The viper - Loose control (Korsakoff remix).
    Endymion feat. Ophidian - Petrifaction.

    And many more...
    If you know you are on the right track, if you have this inner knowledge, then nobody can turn you off... No matter what they say (Barbara McClintock).

    When you know you are right, you don't care what others thing. You know sooner or later it will come out in the wash (Barbara McClintock).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    war pigs - black sabbath....this song describes exactly what is wrong with the world - a war pig way of tinking let the lyrics speak for themselves:

    generals gathered in their masses
    just like witces at black masses
    evil minds that plot destruction
    sourcerers ot deaths construction
    in the field the bodies burning
    as the war machine keeps turning
    death and hatred to mankind
    poisoning their brainwashed minds

    Politicians hide themselves away
    They only started the war
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that role to poor

    Time will tell on their power minds
    Making war just for fun
    Treating people just like pawns in chess
    Wait 'til their judgement day comes

    Now in darkness world stops turning
    Ashes where the bodies burning
    No more war pigs have the power
    Hand of God has struck the hour
    Day of judgement, God is calling
    On their knees the war pig's crawling
    Begging mercy for their sins
    Satan laughing spreads his wings


    this doesnt only apply to war...it describes the state of mind of people today, type of people that allow temselves to be brainwased by the media, people who find tempory satisfaction in material or selfish gain, its about materialism and consumerism - just that whole state of mind...powerful uplifting song ...NO MORE WAR PIGS HAVE THE POOOOWEEERRRR!!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    i like that, thanks for posting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    thanks! i could disscus lyrics and meanings of songs ALL day! quite a fan of the stones myself!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    war pigs - black sabbath....this song describes exactly what is wrong with the world - a war pig way of tinking let the lyrics speak for themselves:

    generals gathered in their masses
    just like witces at black masses
    evil minds that plot destruction
    sourcerers ot deaths construction
    in the field the bodies burning
    as the war machine keeps turning
    death and hatred to mankind
    poisoning their brainwashed minds

    Politicians hide themselves away
    They only started the war
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that role to poor

    Time will tell on their power minds
    Making war just for fun
    Treating people just like pawns in chess
    Wait 'til their judgement day comes

    Now in darkness world stops turning
    Ashes where the bodies burning
    No more war pigs have the power
    Hand of God has struck the hour
    Day of judgement, God is calling
    On their knees the war pig's crawling
    Begging mercy for their sins
    Satan laughing spreads his wings


    this doesnt only apply to war...it describes the state of mind of people today, type of people that allow temselves to be brainwased by the media, people who find tempory satisfaction in material or selfish gain, its about materialism and consumerism - just that whole state of mind...powerful uplifting song ...NO MORE WAR PIGS HAVE THE POOOOWEEERRRR!!!!!


    good taste in music :-D sabbaths best song
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    definately their best songs and certainly one of THE best songs to have been made! in my humble opinion :wink: nice to know there r other sabbath fans around!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    definately their best songs and certainly one of THE best songs to have been made! in my humble opinion :wink: nice to know there r other sabbath fans around!
    I like most rock/metal from the early days through to modern bands :-D
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Guest
    Ahhh Black Sabbath, yep those wordss look familiar...
    I quite liked Hawkwind too, and deep purple, and many others...
    Life don't suck, it rocks!.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    ja, i prefer rock/metal thats pre-mid 80s though! motley crue rocks! uriah heap is cool and of course ACDC....and led zep...cud go on forever. Dont u find that music before the 80s seemend to have so much more soul, passion and raw life in it? i dont know but todays music seems frivolous to me, even some of the metal....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    ja, i prefer rock/metal thats pre-mid 80s though! motley crue rocks! uriah heap is cool and of course ACDC....and led zep...cud go on forever. Dont u find that music before the 80s seemend to have so much more soul, passion and raw life in it? i dont know but todays music seems frivolous to me, even some of the metal....
    Most of it now just seems to be computerised crap.

    remember Mr Hendrix on the geetar?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by billco
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    ja, i prefer rock/metal thats pre-mid 80s though! motley crue rocks! uriah heap is cool and of course ACDC....and led zep...cud go on forever. Dont u find that music before the 80s seemend to have so much more soul, passion and raw life in it? i dont know but todays music seems frivolous to me, even some of the metal....
    Most of it now just seems to be computerised crap.

    remember Mr Hendrix on the geetar?

    yeah i dont like modern music but like modern bands that harp back to the early days

    Some has evolved slightly, others harp back to the early bands

    bands like audioslave have their roots set right back in the 70's era


    I wasn't born til 74, so missed some of the bands i'd have loved to see
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Guest
    And then along came 'motown' -it was to pop music what Mc Donalds is to cuisine - the begining of the end.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    I like most rock/metal from the early days through to modern bands :-D
    describes me pretty well too
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    I like most rock/metal from the early days through to modern bands :-D
    describes me pretty well too

    Like who?
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by billco
    And then along came 'motown' -it was to pop music what Mc Donalds is to cuisine - the begining of the end.
    hahaha! i like that analogy! motown was a bad trend and unfortunatly it as evolved into something far worse...r&b! but i honestly cannot understand how some "musicians" get record deals! its an insult to the publics intelligence! lets bring back the 60s-70s music! hungerstrike outside cd stores! woohoo!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    Quote Originally Posted by billco
    And then along came 'motown' -it was to pop music what Mc Donalds is to cuisine - the begining of the end.
    hahaha! i like that analogy! motown was a bad trend and unfortunatly it as evolved into something far worse...r&b! but i honestly cannot understand how some "musicians" get record deals! its an insult to the publics intelligence! lets bring back the 60s-70s music! hungerstrike outside cd stores! woohoo!
    Mostly today I stick with classical music, once you really get into it you realise Beethoven was the first true rocker! - well he would have been if he was alive today!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    yes and the greatest thing about beehtoven is that the music iteslf is simple, uncomplicted and yet so amazingly powerful, unlike mozart for example who's music is full of technicalities- yet still enjoyable. moonligt sonnata as got to be te best song ever written compared to any genre, dont u think?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    for me the best piece of classical music is pachelbel's cannon in d major. I prefer more string based classical as a whole :-D
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    i have to be honest i have never heard of him, or that piece. its funny, when it come to classical i find people identify more with certain parts of the orcestra! like my uncle loves brass instruments! he can listen to a brass band for hours on end, i on the other hand prefer the sound of a piano and like u said, u prefer the strings...i dont know about overseas but ere in South Africa classical CDS are 1/4 of the price of popular CDS!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    i have to be honest i have never heard of him, or that piece. its funny, when it come to classical i find people identify more with certain parts of the orcestra! like my uncle loves brass instruments! he can listen to a brass band for hours on end, i on the other hand prefer the sound of a piano and like u said, u prefer the strings...i dont know about overseas but ere in South Africa classical CDS are 1/4 of the price of popular CDS!
    yeah pianos i like also and pianos and strings go together well but brass just grates my spine

    Also rock music with classical can go together well, did you ever hear S&m by metallica?

    If not, Its like a greatest hits of metallica played alongside michael kamen and the san francisco symphony orchestra

    I also like blues influenced rock like the black crowes and they always say rock was just the evolution of 12 bar blues music anyway :-D
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    yes, pianos and strings go well together, especially pianos and violins! it takes a special person to enjoy brass!! ja, i have heard S&M it took a while to get used to but it sounds good....also cradle of filth, which is more thrash metal, dont know if uv heard of them, incorporate haunting piano pieces and other classical instruments into their music and it makes it sound so dramatic - theatrical even. but dark theatre!

    yes blues influenced rock is great! in some of sabbath songs u can hear a bit of blues...also i was lisening to booker t the other day and i cud imagine that song being redone by a metal band...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    yes, pianos and strings go well together, especially pianos and violins! it takes a special person to enjoy brass!! ja, i have heard S&M it took a while to get used to but it sounds good....also cradle of filth, which is more thrash metal, dont know if uv heard of them, incorporate haunting piano pieces and other classical instruments into their music and it makes it sound so dramatic - theatrical even. but dark theatre!

    yes blues influenced rock is great! in some of sabbath songs u can hear a bit of blues...also i was lisening to booker t the other day and i cud imagine that song being redone by a metal band...

    yeah i love cradle of filth, love the contrasts with them, they just released a new album and single here in the uk. Singles called temptation which i thinks a new order cover
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    probably take months to get here! never heard of new order! same style as cradle?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    probably take months to get here! never heard of new order! same style as cradle?

    no new order were an 80's electro pop kinda thing,but cradles version isn't :-D
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    cradle covering electro pop?? haha! gotta hear this one!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    cradle covering electro pop?? haha! gotta hear this one!
    yeah, pretty good, im really into trivium and stone sour at moment plus i love my slipknot, staind, incubus and pretty much most bands. Ive got about 1200-1300 cds at moment
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    thats a LOT of CDS! ja, stone sour r good, better than slipknot even tho same vocalist....what do u think of country music?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    thats a LOT of CDS! ja, stone sour r good, better than slipknot even tho same vocalist....what do u think of country music?
    never quite got it myself, not got enough punch for me
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    lol, yeah, dont mind a bit of willie nelson or crosby, stills nash n young....heres another meaningful song i was listening to today also by black sabbath - electric funeral- once again describing whats wrong with the world:

    Reflex in the sky warn you you're gonna die
    Storm coming, you'd better hide from the atomic tide
    Flashes in the sky turns houses into sties
    Turns people into clay, radiation minds decay

    Robot minds of robot slaves lead them to atomic rage
    plastic flowers, melting sun, fading moon falls upon
    dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration
    Burning globe of oxy'n fire, like electric funeral pyre

    Buildings crashing down to a cracking ground
    Rivers turn to wood, ice melting to flood
    Earth lies in death bed, clouds cry water dead
    Tearing life away, here's the burning pay

    chorus

    And so in the sky shines the electric eye
    supernatural king takes earth under his wing
    Heaven's golden chorus sings, Hell's angels flap their wings
    Evil souls fall to Hell, ever trapped in burning cells!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    lol, yeah, dont mind a bit of willie nelson or crosby, stills nash n young....heres another meaningful song i was listening to today also by black sabbath - electric funeral- once again describing whats wrong with the world:

    Reflex in the sky warn you you're gonna die
    Storm coming, you'd better hide from the atomic tide
    Flashes in the sky turns houses into sties
    Turns people into clay, radiation minds decay

    Robot minds of robot slaves lead them to atomic rage
    plastic flowers, melting sun, fading moon falls upon
    dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration
    Burning globe of oxy'n fire, like electric funeral pyre

    Buildings crashing down to a cracking ground
    Rivers turn to wood, ice melting to flood
    Earth lies in death bed, clouds cry water dead
    Tearing life away, here's the burning pay

    chorus

    And so in the sky shines the electric eye
    supernatural king takes earth under his wing
    Heaven's golden chorus sings, Hell's angels flap their wings
    Evil souls fall to Hell, ever trapped in burning cells!

    very topical with iran and north korea :-D
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    yes and this is a song written 20-30 years ago! the world has not changed a bit! its actually disgustng! when are we gonna learn??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeedles
    yes and this is a song written 20-30 years ago! the world has not changed a bit! its actually disgustng! when are we gonna learn??
    sadly the people in charge never learn
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    122
    maybe the people in charge want this - the self destruction of man? they encourage it in a way - but that is a completely new topic all on its own
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    I like most rock/metal from the early days through to modern bands :-D
    describes me pretty well too

    Like who?
    sorry it took me so long to get to this, i was away over the weekend, and i've been busy since then. ok, let's see here...

    AFI, Anberlin, Audioslave, Def Leppard, Green Day, Linkin Park, Mastodon, Nickelback, Nirvana, Rammstein, Rancid, The Rolling Stones, Simple Plan, Trapt, Guns 'N' Roses, Aerosmith, Rick Derringer, Van Halen, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, P.O.D., Pillar, etc. etc. etc. I think that covers about the 60s til today pretty well, at least one group from each decade.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    I like most rock/metal from the early days through to modern bands :-D
    describes me pretty well too

    Like who?
    sorry it took me so long to get to this, i was away over the weekend, and i've been busy since then. ok, let's see here...

    AFI, Anberlin, Audioslave, Def Leppard, Green Day, Linkin Park, Mastodon, Nickelback, Nirvana, Rammstein, Rancid, The Rolling Stones, Simple Plan, Trapt, Guns 'N' Roses, Aerosmith, Rick Derringer, Van Halen, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, P.O.D., Pillar, etc. etc. etc. I think that covers about the 60s til today pretty well, at least one group from each decade.

    exept anberlin, trapt, rick derringer and pillar ive got all those bands, and in most cases everything by them.

    Good choices, im also into bands like slayer, pantera, metallica,maiden,hoobastank, chilli peppers, papa roach, disturbed and loads more :-D
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    here's the one i mentioned from my original post...

    Oh, a storm is threat'ning
    My very life today
    If I don't get some shelter
    Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

    War, children, it's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away
    War, children, it's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away

    Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'
    Our very street today
    Burns like a red coal carpet
    Mad bull lost its way

    War, children, it's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away
    War, children, it's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away

    Rape, murder!
    It's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away

    Rape, murder!
    It's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away

    Rape, murder!
    It's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away

    The floods is threat'ning
    My very life today
    Gimme, gimme shelter
    Or I'm gonna fade away

    War, children, it's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away
    It's just a shot away
    I tell you love, sister, it's just a kiss away
    It's just a kiss away
    It's just a kiss away
    It's just a kiss away
    It's just a kiss away
    Kiss away, kiss away
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •