Notices
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Painting and Philosophy

  1. #1 Painting and Philosophy 
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    The 2 always go hand in hand, as in art is philosophy in picture form. discuss


    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Painting and Philosophy 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelSR1
    The 2 always go hand in hand, as in art is philosophy in picture form. discuss
    That might be true, in that I am interested in the bible , science, art and music.( no talent in music, a little in art.)


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153
    Actually I made a living as an artist for a number of years. Did some work for Hollywood and other things. But I guess it is all about finding out how and why things work.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    I don't think so...

    It depends on the art. Some is certainly concerned with the philosophy of aesthetics. Some is more technically concerned.

    The 17th century Dutch masters of still-life painting didn't seem to have much going on philosophically.

    Here is one of Mignon's still-lifes, this is all about the visual effect and the colours, and the technical mastery of the artist. Who at the time were considered as craftsmen, like carpenters.



    While here Margritte's famous painting is playing with linguistics, so there are more philosophical concerns at work:

    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    I don't think so...

    It depends on the art. Some is certainly concerned with the philosophy of aesthetics. Some is more technically concerned.

    The 17th century Dutch masters of still-life painting didn't seem to have much going on philosophically.

    Here is one of Mignon's still-lifes, this is all about the visual effect and the colours, and the technical mastery of the artist. Who at the time were considered as craftsmen, like carpenters.



    While here Margritte's famous painting is playing with linguistics, so there are more philosophical concerns at work:

    Many artists just paint to sell. Or try to start a new trend.
    But there are ones that go deeper in to it.
    The ones I'm doing lately I can not really explain , but that is why I painted them. They are a little surreal, and ethereal.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    482
    Philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge via deductive reasoning. I don't know of any art that does this. Some art may explore the 'meaning' of life, which some people equate to philosophy, but it's not.
    The mark of a moderate man is freedom from his own ideas - Tao Te Ching

    Fancy a game of chess?
    http://www.itsyourturn.com/
    Challenge me, Delphi, and join the Pythian games.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge via deductive reasoning. I don't know of any art that does this. Some art may explore the 'meaning' of life, which some people equate to philosophy, but it's not.
    Well a lot of art deals with the philosophy of aesthetics by challenging our concepts of aesthetic taste. Especially, 20th century art is often self-reflective in this way.

    Art itself isn't philosophy, but it often requires we apply philosophical ideas to it.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge via deductive reasoning. I don't know of any art that does this. Some art may explore the 'meaning' of life, which some people equate to philosophy, but it's not.
    Well a lot of art deals with the philosophy of aesthetics by challenging our concepts of aesthetic taste. Especially, 20th century art is often self-reflective in this way.

    Art itself isn't philosophy, but it often requires we apply philosophical ideas to it.
    gotta love the last sentence :-D
    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •