Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By graemedon
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: archeology

  1. #1 archeology 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    St.ives- the perfect town
    Posts
    69
    Im looking for anyone in the cambridge/peterborough/london areas of uk to get in touch if anyone is interested in setting up a metal detecting/archeology group or just knows any great areas to go metal detecting to find old era's of time artifacts.

    Im putting a message on here as this site brings a lot more intelectual group of people! and unlike some of the social media sites there isnt as much BS or time wasters.
    Whoever invented the site has really done a good thing, since joing last month i have very much enjoyed writing replies and posting questions that have been bothering me!!

    What i also want to know is why older things go lower in the ground? why do they have to dig out old civilisations and dinasaur bones? why arent these things just laying on the ground. and if the earth is rising and covers things is this taken into account when they say sea levels rise?? some ancient artefacts are more than a meter down if the sea came up a meter some places would be screwed and have soggy feet!!




    wegs likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    What a great idea, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods. I love archaeology, and honestly wish I had pursued that field. Good luck with forming your group!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    St.ives- the perfect town
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    What a great idea, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods. I love archaeology, and honestly wish I had pursued that field. Good luck with forming your group!
    " its never to late to learn"

    what field did you take up instead?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by graemedon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    What a great idea, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods. I love archaeology, and honestly wish I had pursued that field. Good luck with forming your group!
    " its never to late to learn"

    what field did you take up instead?
    I went into the business world (marketing), and I enjoy my work. I follow archaeology news, and keep it as a hobby, at least. You might want to put an ad in your local paper too, and see what type of interest it generates.
    Last edited by wegs; November 4th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    I went into the business world (marketing), and I enjoy my work.
    I have found that the small amount of understanding I have of anthropology is of great value in the business world. There are only minor differences, for example, between a marketing executive and a shaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by graemedon
    why do they have to dig out old civilisations and dinasaur bones? why arent these things just laying on the ground. and if the earth is rising and covers things is this taken into account when they say sea levels rise?? some ancient artefacts are more than a meter down if the sea came up a meter some places would be screwed and have soggy feet!!
    Most of the surface of the Earth is experiencing either erosion, or deposition. Often the two alternate over geologically short time periods.

    Some areas are undergoing subsidence as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of plate tectonic movements. This can lead, over million of years, to sediments thousands of feet thick. Obviously the younger sediments and fossils will generally be found at shallower depth, and vice versa. Sea level changes can complicate the picture further.

    One of the factors relating to preservation of human artifacts is that we generate huge volumes of rubbish. Towns get built on the remains of the previous town. This can continue for thousands of years and many cycles of construction and destruction.

    Hope that helps.
    wegs likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    @ John Galt: lol, yes you are right; anthropology can offer some keen insight into what drives consumer behavior, in particular, which is part of my role in my job. :-)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    found any bronze age loyalty cards yet ?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR View Post
    found any bronze age loyalty cards yet ?
    at whom are you directing this comment?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    never mind me - i was merely linking your statement "anthropology can offer some keen insight into what drives consumer behavior" with how loyalty cards do the same in today's world
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman Citadel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Peterborough, England
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by graemedon View Post
    Im looking for anyone in the cambridge/peterborough/london areas of uk to get in touch if anyone is interested in setting up a metal detecting/archeology group or just knows any great areas to go metal detecting to find old era's of time artifacts.

    Im putting a message on here as this site brings a lot more intelectual group of people! and unlike some of the social media sites there isnt as much BS or time wasters.
    Whoever invented the site has really done a good thing, since joing last month i have very much enjoyed writing replies and posting questions that have been bothering me!!

    What i also want to know is why older things go lower in the ground? why do they have to dig out old civilisations and dinasaur bones? why arent these things just laying on the ground. and if the earth is rising and covers things is this taken into account when they say sea levels rise?? some ancient artefacts are more than a meter down if the sea came up a meter some places would be screwed and have soggy feet!!


    I love history but have little to offer you directly. I have however found the chairman of a Peterborough club that might know the best sites to look around:

    Contact Derek Fitch, the Chairman.
    The club email address is cambsdetectors@aol.com
    Holding a *Bring back the animated hour-glass* protest sign
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •